• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

No guest commentators today folks, but we have one coming up next time. But this time, we have OUR SECOND TIE OF THE COUNTDOWN.

(Note: Since this was another tie, these are technically both 47 and 46 if people are confused on where 47 is. If you want to make life easier, you can consider The Thing an unofficial 47.)

46 (1). The Thing

Smellies.jpg

50 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (2 #9's OMJ & Butters)

Squidward Tentacles notices that the neighbourhood is unusually quiet, and proposes that SpongeBob is gone for the evening. Back in his house, Squidward tries to relax and watch some smoothe jazz on public televison, only to be distracted by SpongeBob and Patrick, who emphasize that they're trying to 'enhance' Squidward's evening. Eventually, Squidward lets SpongeBob and Patrick watch with him, only to be bombarded with questions. At last, Squidward is fed up, and leaves Patrick and SpongeBob watching his television.

Departing the neighbourhood on his recumber bicycle, Squidward is hit by a truck of cement and flies off into Jellyfish Fields, where he stays for five days. SpongeBob and Patrick are jellyfishing where they spot him, and decide to adopt Squidward, who they think is a wild animal and refer to as 'Smelly'.

Back at SpongeBob's pineapple house, Gary attacks Squidward and SpongeBob determines that it is dangerous for Smelly to remain in his household. Patrick decides to take Squidward under his wing, and plays a game of catch with him at his rock, but ends up calling Animal Control, who come and take Smelly to the zoo. There, SpongeBob is horrified that everyone is treating Smelly so cruely, so that night, SpongeBob and Patrick break into the zoo and plan to free Squidward. However, they are caught by Animal Control and SpongeBob and Patrick only manage to lose them by going underground.

After a while, Patrick sees light and the gang find themselves in a jungle-like landscape. SpongeBob remarks that the creatures around them look just like Smelly, so they leave Smelly with his real family and return home. The creatures accept Squidward as one of their kind, and as Kelpy G starts playing his clarinet, Squidward's cement cracks open and he simply says to the creatures, "Um...hi."

Clappy: Not really an episode that I can say that I hate. Don't particularly care for is more like it. It's a stupid premise with an ok script. This episode is more tediously boring than anything else. This is as middle of a road a post-movie episode can get in my honest opinion.

46 (2). Greasy Buffoons

hqdefault.jpg

50 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#2 Butters)

While delivering an order to a customer, SpongeBob slips in a puddle of grease on the floor. Upon further inspection, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and SpongeBob see that the restaurant's grease trap (which is kept under the floorboards in Mr. Krabs's office), is full and hasn't been cleaned in some time. Mr. Krabs notes that he needs two employees to clean it for no extra pay, and Squidward vanishes into thin air, leaving SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs to do the job. That night, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs siphon the grease from the trap into a tanker truck and take it to be "disposed of" by dumping it behind the Chum Bucket.

The next morning, Plankton slips on the grease while taking out the trash, confused as to how it got there. It smells horrible, but upon tasting it, he finds it delicious. He takes advantage of the situation by putting it in his Chummy Patties. Later that day, Mr. Krabs sees that Plankton has a whole line of customers outside his restaurant, which is very unusual but then spots a sign that says that the Chum Bucket is now selling "Chummy Patties with edible flavor" (which is basically chummy patties soaked in Krusty Krab grease). He goes to question Plankton about it, who says that he had a visit from the "flavor fairy."

Realizing that it was the grease that he dumped that gave Plankton's chum its flavor, Mr. Krabs instructs SpongeBob to cook two patties for every one ordered, using the grease from the second to fry the first. SpongeBob thinks that it is unhealthy, but does as he is told. Mr. Krabs promotes this as a "Deluxe Krabby Patty", which steals Plankton's customers. Plankton figures out that it was Mr. Krabs that dumped the grease, so he creates "New Chummy Patties packed with Quadruple Grilled Goodness," which steals Mr. Krabs' customers again. Everyone is becoming very unhealthy from eating the greasy patties, but they can't stop eating them. Mr. Krabs makes SpongeBob put even more grease in the patties, and after slipping in some grease which SpongeBob dropped some buns in an hour ago, so he creates Krabby Patties with "Yummy Bunz". In response, Plankton creates "Crispity Crunchities," which are just burnt grease crumbs. Mr. Krabs then creates "Wow! Soup", which is just pure grease on a paper plate. When SpongeBob walks out of the kitchen, he realizes that the Krusty Krab, the customers, and the ground outside are covered in grease and the customers are extremely sick. SpongeBob starts to have second thoughts about the greasy foods that Mr. Krabs and Plankton are serving. Mr. Krabs simply threatens to fire SpongeBob if he doesn't get back to work. When SpongeBob sees an obese Patrick walking into the restaurant to get some Wow! soup, he decides enough is enough.

SpongeBob calls the health inspector, which Mr. Krabs and Plankton fear. SpongeBob tries to tell the health inspector that Mr. Krabs and Plankton are feeding people grease, but they stop him. When the health inspector finds out, he condemns both of their restaurants until the grease is cleaned up. SpongeBob helps by simply soaking up the grease and goes to dispose of it, but Patrick starts licking him, thinking he is "Crunchety munchety." SpongeBob runs away with Patrick behind.

Clappy: AH! Now here's an episode where I can sink my critical teeth into. Not only is this a boring episode, but this is a gross out boring episode. But before we get to that, I would like to point out one of the biggest logical loopholes I've ever seen in a SpongeBob episode.

130a%20-%20Greasy%20Buffoons%20143.jpg

SPONGEBOB DOESN'T HAVE HIS DOLPHIN NOISE DRIVERS LICENSE WRITERS! WTF! I UNDERSTAND A WATER HELMET LOOPHOLE EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT.

Anywho, otherwise this has another one of my least favorite plots which is Mr. Krabs doing unethical behaviors to make money. Hate this subplot and the amounts of grease both him and Plankton go through in this episode is just disgusting. Every time I even think of this episode, I feel like my brain needs to be cleansed from all the disgust. This isn't the worst case of gross out humor ruining an episode badly, but this is definitely up there. Not in my personal Worst Top 10, but definitely made my list.

• Like 4

46(1) - It was bad, but there were too many silly and stupid moments for me to hate it
46(2) - This episode is awful. I don't remember if I put it on my bottom 25, but if I didn't, I regret not doing it.

#46a: I agree with you here. I mean, I guess it was a little too much like like Jellyfishing. I think SpongeBob and Patrick had justification in thinkiing he was an animal, and torturing him because they really don't know what it is, just that it needs help, but it could've been funnier and all.

#46b: Okay now here's the first pick that was on my list. All it was was giving us a very tedious back-and-forth gag filled with trying to slowly and heavily disgust us. But hey, at least it had a decent moral, although that's easy to miss.

130a%20-%20Greasy%20Buffoons%20143.jpg

SPONGEBOB DOESN'T HAVE HIS DOLPHIN NOISE DRIVERS LICENSE WRITERS! WTF! I UNDERSTAND A WATER HELMET LOOPHOLE EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT.

I hate the need to defend this episode (especially because it was on my personal Bottom 25), but it's been elaborated time and again that SpongeBob's problem with boating is his recurring anxiety with the driving course, rather than complete incompetence. It's a plot point in two episodes, and is visible throughout the series. It makes perfect sense for him to be conducting the truck when he's not in an uncomfortable position (mentally speaking obviously for those with their minds in the gutter). Plus, Mr. Krabs does a bunch of illegal things anyways, and letting someone without a driver's license take the wheel is the least of this episode's problems. 

Anyways, I thought this episode was crap. What I really liked about it was that, for once, Krabs and Plankton were on an equal playing field, and none of them end up winning. It makes their competition way more balanced than in other episodes. Shame it was wasted here. There's just something about grease that instantly grosses me out. With "The Splinter", an episode I love that others despise (and wouldn't be surprised if it did make the list), everything is so cartoonishly over-the-top it's impossible to take seriously. This one, on the other hand, hits too close to home.

• Like 1

The Thing is still an awful episode to me. I don't like to complain about Squidward abuse, ever. But this episode more than any other one was the one where I felt they just kept crapping on him for no good reason. And the worst part was. it wasn't funny at all.

Today's guest commentator is none other than SBC's own moderator, JCM.

45. Sentimental Sponge

20120806072220!Condenmed.jpg

51 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (#5 Fa)

It is spring cleaning day and SpongeBob works diligently on his house. When he takes out his garbage, Patrick reprimands him for letting go of all these sentimental items and saying they still have values to them. After pondering the concept, SpongeBob agrees and fights the garbage truck's claw for his trash.

The next day at the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob begins collecting random items such as mayo, sweat, and patty grease and soon, he becomes a hoarder. But he runs out of room and starts piling it in his front yard. But Squidward starts to get annoyed by it and tells him that he has to throw away his "junk." SpongeBob tells him that he can't because they hold too many memories, but is unaware he is hoarding. Squidward then calls the sanitation police. They condemn the house because it is filled with junk and that he is a "threat to public health." They tell him he has to evacuate the pineapple immediately. Squidward is happy until they condemn his house for being filled with SpongeBob's "junk." When SpongeBob asks the police if there is anything he can do, they tell him his choices: he evacuate the pineapple or throw away his "junk." SpongeBob decides to throw them away but he takes pictures of everything first. Squidward is then happy again and plans to go back to bed. But he discovers that SpongeBob took so many pictures that he put some of his pictures in Squidward's house, without Squidward's permission, and all the pictures flood Patrick, Squidward, and SpongeBob's front yards.

The episode ends when Patrick says, "Nice dress," with Squidward yelling, "IT'S A NIGHTSHIRT!"

Clappy: Honestly, I don't even remember this one as well as others.  All I can recall was it being before the Kids Choice Awards in 2011 and I thought, "meh".  I guess it was kinda gross in retrospect, but SpongeBob has had far more disgusting gross out episodes.

JCM: Oh yes, the hoarder episode. I actually enjoyed this one because it had an original story and was surprisingly funny. I understand why people may have found it gross, but I didn't find it nearly as squicky as some of the worst offenders of grossout humor, and the grossness serviced the plotline, instead of just being there for shock value. This is one of the episodes that got me back into SpongeBob after I basically gave up on the show in Season 5, so I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for it. You could even say I'm sentimental about it.

• Like 3

46a: Eh, I never really minded this one. As Clappy said, it's just middle of the road for me.

46b: Didn't make my list, but I can definitely understand the hate for it.

45: I find this one to be a weaker Season 8 episode, but I wouldn't consider it Bottom 25 worthy, either.