• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

Today's guest is none other than the artist formerly known as More....because I'm having a hard time getting use to his new username...ONE FLUTTERSHY AWAY :P

36. Slide Whistle Stooges

1247843921_1.jpg

67 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#5 Wumbo)

SpongeBob and Patrick get new slide whistles and keep playing them, much to the annoyance of Squidward. He becomes increasingly annoyed as they use the slide whistles as sound effects for everything he does. He eventually has enough of it and flees his house. SpongeBob and Patrick follow him, thinking he's finally playing with them and ignoring his cries to leave him alone. He snaps and grabs SpongeBob's slide whistle and uses it on them. SpongeBob says he has an equably better ear for music and soon buys one himself. Squidward then plays it around the town: first, he scares Dennis out of his wits as Dennis thinks he's being annoyed by ghosts and Squidward impersonates a baby and scares Sally out of her wits, making her see Squidward as a "baby assaulter," resulting in the annoyance of a lot of people.

Soon, they form an angry mob and end on the warpath against Squidward. Squidward manages to take control over a gasoline tanker truck, destroys the Chum Bucket and the Krusty Krab, jumps over a row of boats through a ring of fire, and drives away from the mob. Squidward says he doesn't want to stop but then SpongeBob and Patrick (driving a boat) ask if he is sure he doesn't want to stop. Then Squidward sees that SpongeBob was trying to warn him that a cliff was ahead but there's nothing Squidward can do about it now. SpongeBob and Patrick stop just in time but the gasoline tanker truck keeps going and falls off the cliff, causing it to explode, much to the joy of the town as they see that Squidward is finally stopped. At the hospital, the whistle gets stuck in his throat and since they don't have the technology to remove it, they just left it there. SpongeBob and Patrick then play around the hospital with the whistles.

Clappy: This episode use to be funny in my eyes, but oh my god has it gone down lately.  I want to say I realized my hatred for it two years ago during the original countdown and now my disgust for it has gotten higher as the years go by.  That slide whistling is annoying and those last two-three minutes are just in incredibly poor taste.  I'm legit surprised how deep of a fall this took over last time from being number 8 or 9 last time to 36.

Fluttershy: Wow, this episode really gets on my nerves. Relying on one joke for 11 minutes is hard to pull off because of how tedious it can seem. But when that joke's constantly using an annoying whistle, my ears end up feeling like they're swelling. Not only that, but you have no idea which character you're supposed to like. SpongeBob and Patrick are just there to annoy Squidward for no reason, Squidward then turns into them halfway, and everyone else is just an ass. Not only that, but it further shows that SpongeBob and Patrick can get away with anything, yet when Squidward does it, nope, he's gotta be beaten senseless.

35. The Cent of Money

3DEkmUm.jpg?1

68 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#5 teenj)

SpongeBob is taking Gary for a walk. They spot Mr. Krabs in a free parking spot. Gary gets a little spazzy, so Mr. Krabs asks what's wrong. SpongeBob says that's what Gary does when he finds money. Mr. Krabs decides to take Gary to look for spare change all around town to feed his obsession for money. When SpongeBob asks what Mr. Krabs is doing with Gary, he just gives SpongeBob an impossible task (like painting the Krusty Krab with a toothbrush, or rearranging all the wall rivets from largest to smallest).

Mr. Krabs collects money from people at the Krusty Krab, Goo Lagoon, and the Laundromat. He then finds an arcade and goes inside. Mr. Krabs decides to disguise himself and Gary as a pregnant woman. Mr. Krabs tries to take everyone's money, but Gary is so worn out that he can't attract money anymore, as doing so causes him pain. Meanwhile, SpongeBob is finished with his tasks, so he looks for Mr. Krabs, but the guy Mr. Krabs took money from tells SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs and "his snail" have been stealing money. SpongeBob finds Mr. Krabs and is mad at him for putting Gary through all that pain just for money. They begin to argue, but they get distracted as Gary involuntarily starts collecting all of the money in the arcade (even from inside the game machines themselves!) The huge amount of money forms a massive wave of coins, which begin sliding towards all the Bikini Bottomites in an avalanche sort of fashion.

Everyone tries to exit the arcade to avoid being swept away, except for Mr. Krabs, who runs toward the large wave of coins in a fit of money madness and gets literally crushed by them. Mr. Krabs ends up in the hospital. After discussing what happened to Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob asks what caused Gary to begin attracting money. The doctor discovers that he had swallowed SpongeBob's Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fridge magnet, which had quite a strong magnetic pull. When the doctor points out the bill to Mr. Krabs, he responds that he doesn't have enough money to make his payment. The doctor corrects him by mentioning that all the change he collected with Gary would cover it, prompting Mr. Krabs to yell "Nooooooooooo!" in defeat as the episode ends.

Clappy: I think you guys know by now that I loathe Mr. Krabs' greedy character and episodes where he goes money crazed are by far one of my biggest gripes for bad Mr. Krabs episodes.  This is definitely one of his worst ones.  Also, it's another episode where Gary gets abused.  I sense a recurring pattern here.  Either way, this is just an atrocity that I definitely had on my list and while I wish it was higher from my own personal stand point, I can consider myself satisfied with it's position.

Fluttershy: If I had to explain this one, it's a lot like the reverse of Gone. What it does is show Mr. Krabs will do anything at this point just so he can get some nickels and dimes, in this case, LITERALLY treating Gary like a personal slave, lugging him to exhaustion and messing up his system just for a magnetic charge, robbing every coin he can find and keeping SpongeBob oblivious. Yet, it's ending is very satisfying, with Sponge calling him out and giving a very proper punishment and realization. Yet, in the way of Gone, where the episode was so disturbingly funny and how well it increased the horror element, I can forgive them for the ending, same idea here. What Krabs did is so awful that I can't just ignore it for the last minute.

BTW I regret not putting either on my list.

• Like 7

36. Annoying episode and it fell just short of making my top 10.

35. Mr. Krabs is such a greedy jerk in this episode. One slightly redeeming factor is that he gets his comeuppance at the end.

Slide Whistle Stooges is SUCH a stupid episode. If you're going to base an episode around one joke- no, one THING, at least make it funny, or interesting, or something other than slide whistles. This is like... something that 3-year-olds would find funny.

Cent of Money also made my list. It's a lesser version of my #1 worst episode, but we'll get to that one later (hopefully). As for this episode, it has oblivious Spongebob to an annoying level, Gary abuse (bothers me a lot more than "Squidward Abuse") and a surprising lack of comedy. I can't remember a single joke from this.

• Like 1

36. This episode has no reason to exist. It's the same exact thing repeated over and over for 11 minutes. I could be way more productive things in those 11 minutes then staring at slide whistles. Waste of time.

35. Mr. Krabs got what he deserved in the end, so that kinda redeems it for me. Still not a very good episode, but not bad enough to make my list.

Obviously I already gave my thoughts here, so I'm just gonna have to wait patiently and excitedly for the next choices.

Although now that I think of it, is there any real difference between commentating in Clappy's post rather then posting the thoughts yourself?

Although now that I think of it, is there any real difference between commentating in Clappy's post rather then posting the thoughts yourself?

Not really, it doesn't really matter. Clappy is just giving people a chance to have their thoughts said on the list, kind of like two critics' takes on something. You can still give your thoughts afterwards, he just simply wants to have two similar or different sides to an episode's placement on a list.

34. Good Neighbors

Good_Neighbors_37.png

71 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#3 Nuggets)

SpongeBob wakes up Squidward for work one morning, trying to be a good neighbor, but Squidward angrily tells him that it is Sunday and that a good neighbor does not bother him on Sunday. SpongeBob believes that Squidward is grouchy because he has not gotten his Sunday Paper, and tries to give it to him. He bumps into Patrick who is startled by the "newspaper monster." Upon hearing of the monster, SpongeBob and Patrick start to panic and scatter the paper into the air as they run around.

Squidward begins his Sunday relaxation, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear behind him wearing cultist-style fezzes and initiate him as president of the "Secret Royal Order of the Good Neighbor Lodge," which SpongeBob and Patrick have just made up. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick to paint all of the tree leaves around town with polka dots to get rid of SpongeBob and Patrick. Outside, SpongeBob absorbs a can of red paint; Patrick pulls his arm like a lever, causing him to shoot specks of paint onto all the trees. At noon, SpongeBob and Patrick return to Squidward to tell him that they are almost done with their task, and SpongeBob accidentally shoots paint on his face and in his eyes. Squidward runs outside, screaming in pain, and is almost hit by a car that Debbie Rechid and Ralph turn out to be driving. They think that he is sick with chicken pox and takes him to the hospital.

Later, SpongeBob and Patrick hold a club meeting, and notices that Squidward is gone. They go inside his house to look for him, when a foot massager arrives to give Squidward a pedicure. When Squidward comes home, he finds SpongeBob and Patrick getting a pedicure to make sure that he "really is a certified foot masseur, and not some sort of assassin." Squidward pushes them aside and angrily demands the man to massage his feet, but he tells him that his hour is over and leaves. Furious, he makes SpongeBob and Patrick to leave, telling them never to bother him again.

Unable to understand that Squidward hates them, SpongeBob thinks Squidward was trying to tell them something. Upon hearing this, Squidward literally breaks his head through the front door and screams to them that they are the worst neighbors ever before taking their fezzes and stomping them onto the ground. Inside his house, Squidward sees his Sunday paper in a messy pile on the floor with a note from SpongeBob presenting it to him. Furious about this, he kicks the paper until he sees an ad in the newspaper for a high-tech security system, which he gets and installs into his house. Squidward believes that the security will stop.

SpongeBob and Patrick from entering his house, but they suddenly come up behind him with an apology cake and their fezzes back on. Squidward demands the security system to destroy them, but the machine says, "No threat detected." Squidward then punches the machine in frustration, and the machine says, "Threat detected." It then begins malfunctioning and declares a "code red" situation, literally kicking Squidward out of the building. The house then grows arms and legs and walks away with SpongeBob and Patrick still inside. Squidward then realizes that they can now no longer bother him and tells himself "he is going to relax if it kills him."

Meanwhile, Squidward's House rampages through downtown Bikini Bottom, and SpongeBob and Patrick turn the security system off just as the house returns to its original position, causing it to fall on top of Squidward. His Sunday relaxation time over, he calmly has SpongeBob and Patrick leave so he can get ready for work the next day. However, he finds an angry mob outside of his house, and a man gives him a jury summons that has him doing community service every Sunday for the rest of his life to pay off the damages to the city. SpongeBob and Patrick each get a jury summons as well. They look forward to cleaning up Bikini Bottom together and say that they will see him again next Sunday. Squidward twitches nervously.

Clappy:  I still like this episode ten years later and the amount of hatred it gets is completely warranted.  I definitely understand all of it's faults, but I actually consider this one of my favorite Season 4 episodes.  It doesn't have that much filler compared to most post movie episodes and it always amuses me.  I like seeing that it fell compared to last time.  Maybe the hatred for this "Squidward sabotage" episode has died down?

PatBack: It's kinda funny that this episode spends its tenth anniversary rotting in the bottom 34. And bizarrely enough, despite being my #1 pick for the 2013 list, it didn't even crack my 2015 list. It's still a terrible episode, though. A hackneyed plot with hackneyed jokes and an unfortunate foreshadow of the newer seasons.

33. SpongeHenge

539.png

72 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (2 #8's Butters and Rev)

The legendary story starts with a harsh and powerful windstorm in Bikini Bottom. Nat and Shubie were leaving the Diner, and their bag of leftovers flew and hit SpongeBob in the face, causing him to look out the window. As he looks out of the window, the wind gets into his pores and makes music, attracting jellyfish.

The next morning, SpongeBob tries to go to work, but the jellyfish swarm him, wanting to play. Eventually, Mr. Krabs is forced to bring him in with a fishing rod, and as SpongeBob goes to make Krabby Patties, the window abruptly opens. As the breeze blows through SpongeBob's pores and produces the melodious tune once again, the jellyfish chase him.  Still being pursued by the swarm of jellyfish, SpongeBob runs to hide in Patrick’s house; however, a jellyfish enters and stings Patrick, making him throw SpongeBob out. Finally, the wind stops, but the jellyfish then begin to sting SpongeBob, forcing him to take refuge in a cave. With that, he starts building a stone replica of himself to alleviate his days of solitude. After a decade, the storm is still there, and SpongeBob had grown a beard and finished the replica. He gives his inanimate companion tea and sugar and talks to it about how the jellyfish keep bothering him due to the music produced when wind blows through his holes. Then, SpongeBob has an idea!

SpongeBob carries the stone replica of himself outside the cave, but the jellyfish end up hating the music produced by the replica. SpongeBob is now worried that he will never be able to go back to Bikini Bottom again. He goes back to the cave, but finally realizes that bigger stones can produce better and louder music than himself.  After a while, SpongeBob finishes the giant stone replicas and pushes them into the middle of Jellyfish Fields, forming a circle. The circle full of SpongeBob statues is now known as "SpongeHenge."  The breeze blowing through the pores of the giant statues creates beautiful and harmonious music, which the jellyfish love. SpongeBob is overjoyed that he will never worry about the jellyfish ever again, and he is finally able to go to work after ten long years. Unfortunately, he discovers that the Krusty Krab has been engulfed in sand because of the windstorm. SpongeBob now realizes how much time the jellyfish made him waste and yells out “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!” It is unknown what happens next to SpongeBob, but "SpongeHenge" continues to live on.

Three thousand years from now, a race of strange cyborgs (presumably of alien origin) have appeared in Jellyfish Fields. "SpongeHenge" has become a major tourist attraction with many tourists taking pictures of the sight. The cyborgs wonder who made the statues and why they were made. The only clue was that the melodious sound the wind makes as it enters the giant pores of the statues entertains and attracts jellyfish. Then SpongeBob's laugh can be heard, ending the episode.

Clappy: I still don't get the hatred for this.  It's a weird episode, yes, and it drags a lot, yes.  But Season 7 has far more filler episodes than this.  Maybe the hatred/forget for this episode is something that I'll never understand.

PatBack: This is a weird one, and my thoughts on it are pretty mixed. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I really loved how creepy and unsettling the ending was. It felt very Twilight Zone-ish. But it's really phoned in in context, as the rest of the episode is so dull and lackadaiscal. A forgettable entry in an already problematic season.

• Like 5

I really don't care about the Squid abuse in Good Neighbors. Honestly, all things considered, I never even thought it was that bad. If anything, Skill Crane, its preceding episode, has worse Squidward abuse (when he presses that remote with his eye... ouch, I feel that).

DESPITE that, though, this episode is boring. I honestly can't remember a single joke or plot element that made me laugh. I guess Squidward's house coming to life was cool, but that's it.

SpongeHenge is an episode that I keep forgetting exists, and when it's brought up I keep wondering why it does.

34. One of the more decent episodes on this list to be honest. It's just eh to me.

33. This episode wasn't...right. I don't know how to explain but this episode was off in a way unlike any other episode. Very odd episode.

I liked Good Neighbors the first time I saw it, but watching it multiple times actually made me grow to dislike it. A lot of the gags lost their appeal on me, especially that "manicure guy is an assassin" joke. ...Really?

Spongehenge on the other hand, I never liked. It was just a mostly drab episode to me.

#36: Very stupid episode, but didn't make my list. I find it more forgettable than anything.

#35: This was considered for my list, but I mostly found it mediocre. At least SpongeBob did eventually stand up to Mr. Krabs, which probably saved it for me. Still not good or anything, though.

#34: Honestly, I never really had much against this one. Yeah, it's a problematic episode, and an omen for some future episodes... but I don't know, I could never bring myself to hate it. As Wumbo said, I think the biggest crime it commits is being somewhat dull, but even then, some parts I found kind of amusing (like Squidward's House turning into a robot). It's not a standout episode of Season 4 for sure, though.

#33: This made my list at #16, right in the middle. My problem with this one is that it's so boring*. The plot was just really convoluted as well, and I feel it was trying too hard to be dark and ambiguous. It's fine for SpongeBob to be experimental, but I don't think it worked for this one at all. Like Rev said, a lot of this episode just felt really off, and when it wasn't off, it was really dull.

Spoiler

However, it was not the most boring episode on my list that I was referring to earlier. That honor goes to #3, if it shows up on this list...

• Like 1

Good Neighbors: Gonna have to agree that this episode was kinda dull. The ending with Squidward's house was strange, IMO. 

SpongeHenge: This episode was weird, man. Props to the writers for wanting to experiment but I'm not sure I completely like the result. 

"The Cent of Money" and "Good Neighbors" definitely made MY list; I actually thought that "Good Neighbors" would be ranked higher on this list, considering how high it was ranked the last time this list was done.

34: I've seen the episode again recently and found it mediorce. Squidward's house was the worst scene, anyway, the episode is not on my list.

33: SpongeHenge is mediorce too. Nothing special, but interesting and at some points funny.