• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

44. Agree. Pretty much a stupid waste of time just to show Mr. Krabs is too cheap to buy food for his own daughter.

43. It was okay. I mean, sure the laughing and crying was overdone, but it still had it's fair share of okay moments. "Another day, another nickel!"

And wow, we're not even a fifth of the way in and it already has 100 replies!?!? This is certainly gonna be full of activity!

Was gone this week, but I'm really liking this list. Followed. Also, whoever voted for Growth Spurt, well...

Jk :P but seriously, that episode had me rolling on the floor so hard, harder than almost ever in the series. It would probably be in my top 25. I cried a little when I saw that on the list.

Also, when do you mean by "today?" :stinkface:

Did I say four?  I meant three.  Sorry guys, but this day has really worn me out.  But I'm not going to leave you guys entirely empty handed.  Have it with myself and special spots today from Jjs, OMJ and Halibut.

SN: For anyone else that's interested in commentating, please PM me instead of asking on this thread. :P

42. MuscleBob BuffPants

Anchorarms.jpeg

57 points. 3 out of 23 lists. (#1 Old Man Jenkins)

Spongebob starts his day off by posing in front of a mirror as he gets ready to make himself "large and wide". He goes to his weights (one stuffed animal on each side), and with great effort manages to lift them over his head...and then tips over with a squeak. Just then, the doorbell rings; it's Sandy! Spongebob shows off his "muscles" (stick arms), bragging about his "state of the art weight set" (more stuffed animals). However Sandy bluntly tells him that he's not going to gain any muscle mass (demonstrating her own in the process), unless he starts using her own personal training program. Spongebob is ecstatic, imagining himself in various situations (flipping burgers, jellyfishing, and sleeping) with a bodybuilder's physique, and agrees to come to Sandy's Treedome at 5AM to begin his new workout.

At the Treedome, Spongebob is put through a progressively intense series of warm-up exercises from pushups to boxing to running on a giant hamster wheel, each resulting in his arms separating from his body. Sandy now takes the less than enthusiastic sponge to the "arm cruncher", to which the sight of the contraption drives Spongebob away, only leaving a phone in Sandy's grasp. Back home, Spongebob is despondent (and in pain from his throbbing arms) at how difficult working out actually is...until a voice addresses him from the TV, calling him a wimp. It's a commercial for the Anchor Arms, a set of inflatable muscles with options ranging from normal to veiny, and "for the ladies...hairy!", with Donald the Shark demonstrating its uses. Gary meows skeptically, but Spongebob is intrigued, and goes for his phone.

Later, with his new Anchor Arms attached, SpongeBob heads towards Mussel Beach, freaking out everyone else along the way (Squidward gets his tongue stuck to his ice cream, Mr. Krabs withdraws into his shell). Once he gets there, everyone on Mussel Beach is awestruck by "MuscleBob BuffPants", and follows him to the juice bar. Sandy comes along asking where Spongebob is, and finds him surrounded by his new fans. A short moment where Spongebob cannot move his drink reveals downside of his Anchor Arms: Because the "muscles" is just air inside a muscle shaped balloon, he is still a weakling, but manages to avoid detection by sipping the straw from a distance. Sandy is naturally confused as to how he managed to gain muscles so quickly, to which Spongebob replies that he found his own secret workout." Intrigued, Sandy asks what the secret was; putting Spongebob on the spot as everyone else also wants to know.

SpongeBob manages to fool them by claiming armpit farts are his secret workout, pushing aside skepticism by pointing out the results. Everyone else promptly begins armpit farting, while Sandy congratulates Spongebob for finally finding a workout that works for him. To Spongebob's surprise, she then suggests he needed to put those muscles to the test, and it just so happens the Anchor Toss Competition is today! Completely caught off guard, Spongebob doesn't notice a drink being placed on top of his Anchor Arms and tries to tell Sandy he isn't interested, but she decides to go sign them up anyways. Scared of being exposed, he tries to stop her, but finds himself anchored down by the drink. The panicking Spongebob only finally catches up to Sandy after the waiter takes the drink off his hand, sending him flying into the pole next to her. Unfortunately it's too late: Sandy has already signed them up, and there's no turning back.

At the Anchor Toss, everyone is preparing themselves, except for the terrified Spongebob. He nervously says he's ready when Sandy comes by to check, but quickly begins puffing air into his Anchor Arms in desperation when she turns away. Perch Perkins announces the start of the 8th Annual Anchor Toss Competition, with Don the Whale making the first toss. His anchor lands at 200 yards, with an "instant replay" crushing the hapless measurer. Next up is Larry the Lobster; the measurer, not wanting to be crushed again, tries to run out of firing range, but the anchor tracks him and crushes him at 210 yards. Sandy is up next, and launches her anchor with a karate kick; the measurer desperately tries to outrun the anchor, but is crushed at 510 yards, putting Sandy in the lead.

It's finally SpongeBob's turn, with the crowd chanting his name as they do his armpit farting workout. Spongebob tries to lift the anchor, but only manages to pull it on top of himself. He manages to pass it off as a joke, but knows that he can't keep the charade up; he's going to be exposed as a phony. However, he decides he has to try anyways, and blows his arms up to the Jerk size. He puts all of his might into lifting the anchor, but all it does is push the air into various parts of his body before the Anchor Arms explode, revealing Spongebob as a fraud. Perch Perkins announces that Sandy is the winner to the cheering of the fans. Sandy herself is disappointed at Spongebob's deception, tapping her feet expectantly; Spongebob gets the hint and trudges after her. Back at the Treedome, Spongebob's newest workout is to change the channel 100 times with his finger. Sandy figures they've finally found an exercise that works for him...just as Spongebob's arm falls off again; He asks if she could pick that up.

Clappy: Not really going to say anything since I like this one and I know you guys will be wanting to hear OMJ’s thoughts since he voted it at that spot, so I took the liberty to get him to guest commentate.

OMJ: I always found this episode to be just dull for my liking, even as a kid first watching it. I can dig the moral that hard work and determination equals good results but looking back, season one had funnier, not as boring offerings to go around, at least for me. And watching many repeats of this since then hasn't exactly helped it either. The only thing that I really had a laugh at was the poor sap constantly getting crushed by the anchors no matter where he moved. And I guess the fact that that shark on the TV skipped plenty of arm days compared to the rest of his body. Definitely one of season one's weakest, pun intended.

41. Sponge-Cano!

36.png

59 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#4 Cha)

Squidward attempts to make a self-portrait when he is interrupted by a song that SpongeBob is singing about how he has an "attitude of gratitude." After Squidward tells SpongeBob to stop, he slips on some spilled paintbrushes, falls down the stairs and through the floor, breaks a plumage pipe, resulting in spewing water. When SpongeBob offers to help, Squidward denies that he needs help and tells SpongeBob not to help him ever again. He tightens the pipe so much that the water can't get through. Squidward then walks off grumpily as he's late for work.

At the Krusty Krab, Squidward says "Pardon me!" to a purple fish while entering, then walks to the counter and tells SpongeBob to stop staring at him. He then says he doesn't have time to count them when fish tries to buy a Krabby Patty for $3 with a huge pile of pennies, comments at a blue fish eating a Krabby Patty tapping his foot on the floor, gets mad with Nat Peterson for holding the door, thinks people are leaving "trash" on the table, insults a frail woman's clattering dentures, and a red fish's tall hat. He even scolds a blue fish for taking too long to eat and another for taking too long in the bathroom. When SpongeBob passes by still singing about his attitude of gratitude, Squidward scolds him to stop. SpongeBob asks whether he has an "attitude of gratitude," but Squidward says that he is the most miserable person in Bikini Bottom and doubts it can get worse. Immediately afterwards, a previously dormant volcano erupts. Everybody in the Krusty Krab evacuates because it is falling to pieces. Mr. Krabs sees no point in trying to run away and demands Squidward's and SpongeBob's life essence after the cash register is destroyed until someone points out the shelter.

At the shelter, the mayor is trying to calm everyone, but they won't stop worrying. When the mayor also thinks that Bikini Bottom is doomed, a mysterious dolphin warrior comes in and says that they must sacrifice the most miserable person. When Squidward goes towards the door, SpongeBob says that they must find the most miserable person, but Squidward mocks him. They then realize Squidward is the most miserable person, so they attempt to sacrifice him. Before they throw him in the volcano alive, SpongeBob offers to be thrown in because he made Squidward miserable. Squidward accidentally falls off a ledge and asks SpongeBob to help him. When SpongeBob reminds him of his promise, Squidward takes it back and SpongeBob saves him. Meanwhile, the pipe at Squidward's house has built up so much water that it sends the house flying, and it falls into the volcano. The dolphin then says that he was going to say that the most miserable person's HOUSE must be sacrificed, and the people are once again calmed; except for Squidward, who now has no roof to sleep under. SpongeBob then lets Squidward sleep under his pineapple.

Clappy: Since I have a lot of work to do, I’m going to keep this short and sweet.  Hate it.  The song is terrible for SpongeBob standards, the plot is trash, and the dolphin warrior…not going to comment.  Any thoughts Hal?

Hal: I really don't like this episode. I don't hate it, but the shoehorned jokes really get to me. Also, when I found out Squidward was lying about being grateful, it kinda pissed me off. This episode had its moments like how everyone reacts when the volcano erupts, but overall, the episode was a mess.

40. Rule of Dumb

hqdefault.jpg

61 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (#3 Wumbo)

A starfish from the Royal Ministry comes to visit Patrick for a delivery. After Patrick opens his rock, he thinks the starfish is a librarian and has come for his overdue library books. Patrick runs to SpongeBob's house and cries about it. SpongeBob covers for Patrick by coming up to the man and greeting him. The starfish then asks SpongeBob if he knows Patrick, but SpongeBob lies and says: "No, I don't know any starfish!" in surprise. When the starfish announces he has a gift for Patrick, which is a crown; Patrick dashes out of SpongeBob's house and grabs his gift. He starts chewing it and licking it, and announces it's a terrible-tasting gift. The starfish explains it's an item to wear, not to eat. Patrick is pleased when he gets the shiny crown. The starfish explains that he had uncovered a family tree showing Patrick to be descended from a king thus making him an official king.

SpongeBob becomes Patrick's servant and shows a treaty to the other Bikini Bottomites whenever Patrick takes something from them. SpongeBob assists Patrick firstly by going to the Krusty Krab and ordering for Patrick when Mr. Krabs looks at Patrick in shock and comes to him in a happy way. But SpongeBob is thrown away by Mr. Krabs and Patrick orders for himself with 10 Krabby Patties, a large fries, and a shake; Mr. Krabs lays out a buffet for him on the table consisting plates of Krabby Patties, a dozen shakes, and fries. Soon, Patrick requests for more ketchup, but Mr. Krabs tells him to pay a bill instead. Patrick then states that he has no money and anything he gets is free. Mr. Krabs gets upset at this and kicks both SpongeBob & Patrick out of the restaurant and screams out the front door, "Nobody eats at me restaurant for free, king or no king!," and closes the doors. He then finds a fish with a Krabby Patty and a shake and asks if he was going to eat it, and when the blue fish says he was planning to, Patrick takes it. Then a nerdy fish, Horace, comes up with a comic book collection, and becomes overjoyed at it especially at one of the comics "Wonder Space Fish," and states his 40-year old life and his comic book collection are complete, but he bumps into Patrick and Patrick takes the comic books, and Horace (who worked his whole life on the comic book collection) becomes sad. When the nerd begins to cry, Patrick laughs viciously, and he exclaims happily that he loves being a king.

Patrick then gets other citizens to line up leading to his rock, which is turned into a magnificent castle, with one of their possessions. After SpongeBob gains a walker from an old man for Patrick, he comes down to give Patrick his opinion on whether to put his plasma screen TV by the fancy egg display or the indoor swimming pool, which is seen shaped as a star, and is obviously known because he is a starfish. Next morning, Squidward wakes up in a good mood. But that is quickly spoiled when he is blown away by the wind inside his house because Patrick is making a crane move it back a little to build a ferris wheel. Squidward finally explodes after coming out of his house and announces to everyone that Patrick couldn't be a king because he is much too stupid and tells them that he can't be a king of anything (except of being a moron). The townspeople believe Squidward and abandon Patrick. Patrick then explodes and requests SpongeBob to attack Squidward. SpongeBob pretends to go to Squidward right away, but really asks Squidward to sign a treaty. But Squidward rolls up the treaty and plugs it into one of SpongeBob's craters just by throwing it.

Patrick's insane and awful attitude inside his castle makes SpongeBob afraid of him, and he slowly walks away, saying he needs to go to the Krusty Krab for work. Realizing that his servant just left him, Patrick goes for a drink. On his way, Patrick looks at himself in the mirror and sees that he is literally turning into a monster. He gets frightened at this sight and goes back to the starfish who made him king. He gives the crown back to the Royal Ministry starfish and rechecks the paper of ancestors who was made to be king. After wiping a stain on the other side of Patrick's family he realizes that Gary is the one who really has struck royalty. SpongeBob and Patrick become servants and Gary gets the crown. The episode is finally ended with a happy and questioning "meow" from Gary.

Clappy: Now here is an episode that should be a lot higher and is one of the more underappreciated SpongeBob episodes in terms of terribleness.  This was the episode that opened my eyes to how big of a douche Patrick’s character can really be in this series.  There have been far worse examples as this series progresses, but this should be considered the epitome for how big of a *dolphin noise* that Patrick can be.  Oh and recycling so many clichéd lines about great power and great responsibility really grinds my gears.

Jjs: This didn't make my list (yeah I feel like a broken record by this point lol), but it was strongly considered at one point. I figured it'd end up here anyways. While I don't personally hate it, it has a lot of problems that makes me totally get why it's on here. Patrick was just really unlikable here, and felt like the start of his character change. I'm pretty sure King Neptune would have a problem with King Patrick, so this episode was just null and void from the start. I don't normally care about the show's continuity, but here it feels like they just made something up on a whim. Also, this line always bugged me, even when I first saw the episode as a kid:

"Yeah, well, now you can spend the rest of your life crying about it. I'm the king!"

What the hell, man?

• Like 6

42: This episode was pretty weak. Which is bad by pre-movie standards, but still not really anything that'd really catch my eye.

41: I agree. While it did have it's redeeming factors, like Squidward kinda deserved being "the most miserable person" because he was nitpicking the whole time, and I did really love that SpongeBob went out of his way to sacrifce himself because he was the main cause of his misery, but it wasstill filled with so much filler to enjoy. Attitude of Gratitude has no reason to exist, and it's probably my second least favorite song behind the one from Rodeo Daze (excluding the 8 from you-know-what)

40: I kinda liked it. I found it to be amusing to see Patrick abusing the power he was suddenly given, showing how easy it is to screw up when you're the leader and the problems it could lead to, but it did boil down to Patrick stealing everyone's things. Oh, and lol at Gary being Pat's cousin. :P

• Like 1

42. This is a forgettable episode IMO. I don't hate it but I didn't think it was that funny or particularly good.

41. Not a fan of this episode and it definitely deserves its place on here. Squidward was so unlikeable and the song sucks.

40. I didn't dislike this episode that much. I see the douchiness as being caused by the crown and I do like that he actually realizes he's being a jerk in the end.

Never was a fan of Musclebob, but I don't find it "Worst Episode List" worthy. I legitimately thought Sponge-Cano was the highlight of the mehness that was Legends of Bikini Bottom, but that's just me. Rule of Dumb...now we're talking. I can not stand this episode and its partner episode Driven to Tears anymore. I could've even forgiven Patrick being completely unlikable in them if they weren't horribly bland and unfunny.

42. Dull, drab, and most of all, platitudinous.

41. Meh, I don't hate it but I don't like it either. It's just one of those episodes that's kind of just there.

40. Unpopular opinion time: I actually liked this episode. Yes, Patrick was a jerk in this episode, but it was because the crown gave him too much power and made him into a controlling jerk. Isn't that what it's all about? *gets booed with tomatoes*

• Like 1

Since I haven't posted my opinions yet, I'll do them for all the ones that have been done so far.

50.1. Pranks a Lot - I thought it was good episode, but not a great episode. The ghost parts were hilarious and even though I did felt SpongeBob and Patrick deserved to get punished at the end, maybe that was a little too far?

50.2. Dumped - This is just an ok episode for me. I originally thought it was a good, but I lowered it down when Patrick said 'How Pathetic' which I would say is up there with some of the most mean spirited moments in SpongeBob history.

50.3. To Save a Squirrel - This episode came up just boring for me, and Patrick was really annoying at the beginning.

50.4. A Day Without Tears - Well, they somehow made SpongeBob's crying actually annoying for me, and that's pretty much the whole episode.

50.5. I'm With Stupid - I also think this episode is ok. It starts out great but the ending lost so many points on what could have been another Season 2 classic.

50.6. Shuffleboarding - Horrible, horrible, using Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy to gain more views, writers running out of ideas for their plot quater way through the episodes and then spends the next minute waving keys in our faces along with a decent Man Ray fight that sort of defends this episode, but only a pinch.

49. InSPONGEiac - This episode is one of the best episodes of Season 8 and even one of the best episodes of the Post-Movie era. It does start out annoying, but then enters the world of David Lynch and everything else is perfect right from the point. My only two complaints is SpongeBob waking up in Gary's littertray and SpongeBob's crying at the end sort of being irriating.

48. Giant Squidward - An episode that starts off annoying, and ends annoyingly, followed by more terrible scenes from the townspeople.

46/47.1. The Thing - This is the only terrible episode of Season 4 in my opinion. There were some bad episodes etc. All that Glitters, Squidtastic Voyage,  but this one was just awful, taking the plot of a classic Season 1 episode and just covering it in horse radish. SpongeBob and Patrick were horribly annoying at the beginning, and I just want to strangle them when they decide to enter Squidward's house even though Squidward down right told them to stay away, but of cause, SpongeBob thinks 'Squidward's so cute'. Avoid at all costs!

46/47.2. Greasy Buffoons - Another boring episode. The only joke I laughed at in this episode, was when Squidward vanished when Mr. Krabs was offering more work and that's it. While the SpongeBob driving scene doesn't really bother me, it's still a very boring episode.

45. Sentimental Sponge - I thought this episode was ok. It was kind of boring and not really memorable, but it's something I can atleast watch.

44. Growth Sprout - Pearl hasn't really gotten that many good episodes as a lead in the post-movie episodes, and while this was isn't the worst *cough* Slumber *cough* Party *cough*, it's still an annoying and also boring episode.

43. Funny Pants - What?... my... my favourite post-movie episode... up... up this high? Ok, allow me to explain. Funny Pants in my opinion, is perhaps the most funniest episode of the post-movie episodes and could even compete with some of the episodes for the pre-movie era. SpongeBob's continued laughter, I found really hilarious, mostly from Squidward's reactions. The banana peel scene, the pie scene, the match scene, and even the crying scene, all got loads of chuckles out of me.I swear, if I'm in a bad mood, just show me the pie scene from the episode, and that frown will be flipped upside down faster then the speed of physics. A really brilliant episode and I wish I wasn't the only the only person who has the same thoughts as me.

42. MuscleBob BuffPants - Just a very boring episode imo. There are some jokes, but I wouldn't like rewatch again and again or anything like that, and it's perhaps the worst episode of Season 1 along with Rock Bottom.

41. Sponge-Cano! - Am I the only one who sort of likes this episode. I do have problems with it, such as those arm farting garbage things, SpongeBob's deep breathing and the ending, but there's also some really funny scenes, such as when Mr. Krabs goes insane when the volcano destroys his money and SpongeBob willing to sacrifice himself, achknowledging his annoyance to Squidward. It's flawed, but I would say it's a good episode.

40. Rule of Dumb - I'm more meh on this episode. I agree, Patrick was a jerk in this episode. But I also sort of felt sorry for him when Squidward convinced the construction workers that he isn't a king. Not a bad episode, but also not a good one. End of story.

42: I agree. This episode is very bad, because of SpongeBob's behavior. Something like this doesn't fit to him.

41: The garbage monsters are unnecessary, but the rest of the episode is solid and sometimes funny.

40: Patrick is a jerk in this episode, yeah. But that makes for me the episode interesting. I find that Squidward's appearance is the best scene in this episode.