• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

SpongeHenge use to be my least favorite episode as a kid for a while just because I felt bad for SB and especially the weird ending. It almost made my list but would have been towards the bottom anyways.

Today Rev joins me for commentary. So rev up those fryers.....that will never get old....and here we go.

32. The Gift of Gum

080b%20-%20The%20Gift%20of%20Gum%20277.j

73 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#4 4EverGreen)

On "Best Friend's Day," Patrick gives SpongeBob an enormous wad of used gum he has amassed over his entire lifetime (fondly referred to as "Gummy"), and SpongeBob finds it a better gift than his own (a robotic butler). However, when he takes it inside, he realizes how disgusting it is, and it even starts to scare him, with a pair of underpants crawling out of the gum and saying in a demonic voice, "You're not Patrick!" First, SpongeBob tries to throw it away, but Patrick catches him in doing so, and he says that he was dressing it up with the garbage can. Later, SpongeBob tries to bury Gummy, but Patrick catches him again, and he says that he dug the hole to be able to look at Gummy from below. Patrick insists that it must be displayed properly, and places it above SpongeBob's doorway. SpongeBob next tries to dispose of it in the night, and in the process frees several people who were literally trapped inside it. He tries to pull Gummy off of his house, and fails, destroying the ball and getting stuck to it in the process.

The next day, Sandy visits SpongeBob's house to see it covered in the sticky remains of Gummy, with SpongeBob hanging above his doorway. She tries to free him by lassoing a piece of Gummy onto a passing truck, which is almost able to pull it away, but is ultimately pulled in by it, hitting SpongeBob's house and causing the gum to explode, completely covering the houses of SpongeBob, Squidward and Patrick, and trapping Squidward and Sandy as well. Patrick then appears, and SpongeBob tells him he can have Gummy back. Patrick then wolfs down all of the gum making Patrick obese, freeing SpongeBob, his friends and their houses. However, he then hiccups a massive bubble, which explodes and covers the whole town in gum.

Clappy: Y'know, my stance on this episode has actually died a lot over the past few years. Sure Gummy is still an animated atrocity (LOL SEE WHAT I DID THERE ENTER FANS!?!?!) to look at, but the plot for this episode isn't as bad as it could have been. I mean Patrick could have been a much bigger douche which would have increased my hatred for this, but he's honestly not that bad here. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a 3 or 4/10 episode at best, but it's not the loathsome episode I once considered it to be.
Rev: Ugh, this episode. This wasn't on my list but it was a definite contender. It's just pointless: this episode has so much filler. Some could argue that it's one of the grossest episodes, but honestly gross-out isn't something that bothers me anymore. Personally, I just think this episode has no substance, it's just a boring episode with nothing at all happening. Also, the pacing moves like a snail, it takes a century for this episode to end. I wouldn't miss this episode at all if it was gone.

31. Atlantis SquarePantis

092%20-%20Atlantis%20SquarePantis%201596

75 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#10 4EverGreen)

SpongeBob and Patrick are in Jellyfish Fields blowing bubbles. Patrick tries to take pictures of the bubbles but they keep popping before the picture is taken. SpongeBob decides to blow a bubble that would last all day. SpongeBob blows a bubble that engulfs them both, and carries them into a nearby cave. The bubble suddenly pops as it makes impact with an ancient piece of gold. Eager to discover what exactly it is, they take it to the Bikini Bottom Museum where they (literally) run into Squidward. At first, Squidward thinks that SpongeBob and Patrick were planning to steal the first half of the amulet which is housed in the museum, but upon attempting to return it to its spot, he realizes that what Patrick and SpongeBob had was in fact the missing half. At this point, both Mr. Krabs and Sandy join them.

The pieces of gold are then reunited, which summons a luxurious bus (or 'van' as Squidward calls it) piloted by a robot and fueled by "song." During the song to fuel the bus, it is revealed that Plankton has stowed away in a compartment at the front of the bus and plans to control the lost weapons of Atlantis. Once they arrive there, (accidentally crash-landing in a topiary garden) they meet the king of Atlantis, Lord Royal Highness, LRH for short, who shows them the riches, knowledge, and art of Atlantis. Meanwhile, Plankton escapes from the compartment and sneaks into the vault storing the weapons. After looking around at the weapons, he chooses to commandeer a tank (seemingly at random) to start his diabolical scheme.

Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs enjoys the money vault, Sandy enjoys the science lab, and Squidward enjoys the hall of art (the rooms each had been planning to see). In the money vault, money, gold, and prized objects are found and mostly stashed in Mr. Krabs' pants pockets. In the science lab, Sandy enjoys the devices, a biomass-converting device that turns any household object into ice cream (a bug the Atlantians have not worked out), a germ-fighting, interactive, micro video game, and makes an automatic feeding device. In addition, in the Hall of Arts, Squidward journeys through paintings, is modeled by painters, and even makes his own painting, claiming to have learned more about art in his short time in Atlantis than he did while at college. However, everything goes wrong when SpongeBob and Patrick are left alone with the World's Oldest Living Bubble. The flash from Patrick's camera when he takes a picture of themselves with the bubble causes it to burst and the pair go to dinner and insist on leaving. When Patrick reveals their mistake, LRH tells them that the bubble they popped was a prop, but when he shows them the real bubble, Patrick takes a picture of it and it also pops.

LRH is furious and summons the Atlantean Royal Guards to seize the gang, but Plankton appears. He fires the tank at SpongeBob, the gang, and the Atlantean Royal Guards, but is foiled when it is revealed that the weapon he had chosen only shoots ice cream. He jumps out of the tank and in frustration, kicks it, injuring himself. However, LRH seems delighted, saying, "This talking speck will make a fantastic replacement for our recently deflated national treasure!" Finally, LRH loads SpongeBob and his friends back onto the bus and removes the amulet, giving it to one of his soldiers to dispose of to ensure no more "visitors like these." SpongeBob is the only one eager to return to Bikini Bottom and sings. His friends get sad and cry, but SpongeBob ignores and sings all along.

Oh and there is a Patchy subplot too, but this is one of the many specials I'm not going to bother recapping. Congrats 4EverGreen for topping today's list postings with highest ranking.

Clappy: You know, just like last time, this is still an episode that I can't decide if I like it or hate it. I'm leaning more towards being able to tolerate this. One thing that I will never get over is how much wasted potential this was. Way too much filler and the songs are unbearable. But I will give this episode some credit for a good plot that if it wasn't for all the filler, could be a great one. I don't know. This is as big of a 5/10 episode as there ever will be. But I completely understand it finding a spot on this countdown because of the like/hate/ok relationship this episode always gets on a SpongeBob fan site.
Rev: I really don't mind this episode at all, honestly. I can see why one might like or dislike this episode, but it's just eh for me. I really don't have anything to say about this one. Some of the songs were good, some were bad. The plot and story is great, but the humor is lacking. Probably one of the most eh episodes ever for me.

• Like 3

From what I remember, I don't think The Gift of Gum was terrible, but it was a little gross. It's just a blah episode to me and I don't have any strong feelings about it.

Atlantis Squarepantis...is it the worst SpongeBob special? Not to me, even though it was in the top 15 of my list. In fact, there's one special that ranked high on my list that I think has even more wasted potential. I wasn't a fan of the songs in AS and the plot could've been a little better. 

32: I have the episode on #8 on my list. It isn't because of the plot, which was nice and cool, but the giant gumball was very very unlovely. This has the whole episode ruined.

31: Huh? I like this episode.  :huh:

"The Gift of Gum" was SO horrific; I can't understand how it ever got MADE, let alone even CONSIDERED as a plot for "Spongebob Squarepants!" :rolleyes: And also, it's not that "Atlantis Squarepants" was GOD-awful, it was just such a WASTE!!!! How can you HIRE David Bowie as a guest star in a MUSICAL episode and NOT even have him sing?! o.o Talk about a LOAD of untapped potential! :excl: Enough said! B)

• Like 1

34: While this episode has some good things going for it, like the wtf moment withSquidward's house coming alive and the whole Good Neighbor Lodge "President Squidward" running gag, and the fact that the two were only trying to help, and apologized by the end, it is a clear sign of what would later be "the whole world's against Squidward for no reason" problem plauging many episodes.

33: This episode was really strange and confusing, and it felt like a parody of something no one will get if it even exists, so I'd say I agree.

32: I agree with you here, nothing more than filler of SpongeBob getting rid of that horrrible thing, although the way he got out of the conflict was stupid.

31: I literally have nothing new to add to the conversation.

32. Okay, this episode was pretty gross, but it wasn't interestingly bad enough to make my list.

31. This made #25 on my list. If I can describe this episode in one word, it would be "waste". A waste of one hour on Nick's schedule, a waste of David Bowie's singing abilities by not giving him a musical number, and a waste of my valuable time. Not to mention the plot goes by way too fast. SpongeBob and Patrick blow bubbles, then they land in a cave where they find the amulet of Atlantis, ride in a bus powered by song (a very cruddy song, by the way), go on a big tour of Atlantis led by a Blue Meanie, sing songs that take up a lot of the animated segment (Squidward's song and Plankton's song were tolerable, though), SpongeBob and Patrick accidentally pop the bubble, a bunch of Blue Meanies chase after them, they meet with Plankton who has a tank (spoiler: filled with ice cream), he gets captured by the Blue Meanies, and SpongeBob and the gang head back to Bikini Bottom. What an utter waste of time. Also, having an Atlantis episode and no appearance or reference to King Neptune? Shaaaaaaame.

Gift of Gum: Huh, I did put this episode on my list. Well, it's near the bottom, but I still this it's a pretty useless episode essentially revolving around one joke, and not a very good one at that (though certainly better than Slide Whistle Stooges).

Atlantis SquarePantis: I find this episode to be extremely, indisputably, unmistakably okay. I actually kind of liked the song sequences; I can't remember them that well but I remember liking them as I watched them. Plus, "I LIKE SQUIDWARD" is probably the only time where creepy SpongeBob was done right in the later seasons. I'm sorry, that's a hilarious line.I don't want to speak for anybody and I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I think a lot of the hate for this episode comes from the hype built up for a special that was honestly nothing special. But it also wasn't that bad, either. I think part of it also comes from the fact that it wasn't hyped as a musical, and to see an episode that spontaneously turns into one for really no good reason can give you a negative gut reaction. And yeah, David Bowie not singing is a huuuge waste, in-joke or no. But on the whole, the episode is just okay. Some elements wasted, some overhyped, but I can't tihkn of anything too negative to say about it, and actually a few positives.

• Like 1

Gift of Gum: Huh, I did put this episode on my list. Well, it's near the bottom, but I still this it's a pretty useless episode essentially revolving around one joke, and not a very good one at that (though certainly better than Slide Whistle Stooges).

Atlantis SquarePantis: I find this episode to be extremely, indisputably, unmistakably okay. I actually kind of liked the song sequences; I can't remember them that well but I remember liking them as I watched them. Plus, "I LIKE SQUIDWARD" is probably the only time where creepy SpongeBob was done right in the later seasons. I'm sorry, that's a hilarious line.I don't want to speak for anybody and I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I think a lot of the hate for this episode comes from the hype built up for a special that was honestly nothing special. But it also wasn't that bad, either. I think part of it also comes from the fact that it wasn't hyped as a musical, and to see an episode that spontaneously turns into one for really no good reason can give you a negative gut reaction. And yeah, David Bowie not singing is a huuuge waste, in-joke or no. But on the whole, the episode is just okay. Some elements wasted, some overhyped, but I can't tihkn of anything too negative to say about it, and actually a few positives.

at least YTV doesn't hype it up :P

Our next guest spot is this ol' taco Katniss gracing our presence.

30. Are You Happy Now

6df7db1c5c0.jpg

78 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#1 Fluttershy (More))

On a fine day at the Krusty Krab, Patrick is behind the restaurant climbing out of a dumpster eating a Krabby Patty. The camera then pans over to SpongeBob, showing him reading the "Krusty Krab Schedule" book, much to Squidward being annoyed. SpongeBob then claims that the book has a list of "his happiest memories." Squidward takes the book and "accidentally" drops it on the grill. However, SpongeBob has multiple copies of the book in a cabinet, which he proceeds to get one. SpongeBob then asks Squidward if he has a happiest memory, in which he replies, "No." Feeling concerned, SpongeBob tries to ask Squidward if he can help make a happiest memory for him, which he accepts. First, SpongeBob takes Squidward to a concert. That did not go well, however, since the violin player accidentally shot Squidward in the eye with the violin bow. Then, both of them head to the Bikini Bottom Museum.

One of Squidward's masterpieces is in the museum, which is praised by critics. Squidward is happy until a famous art critic named Fiasco burns his artwork with a flamethrower. In addition, after that, SpongeBob takes Squidward on a hot air balloon ride. That doesn't go well, since Squidward is afraid of heights, so SpongeBob tries to get Squidward down by popping the balloon (because the balloon has no heater to make it deflate) and both of them land on a mountain which is actually Mount Bikini, ruining Harold's chance to be the first one on the mountain. Then, SpongeBob, Squidward, and Harold slide off the mountain due to an avalanche.

When SpongeBob and Squidward slide back to their homes, Squidward insists that he will never have a happiest memory. 2 weeks later, Squidward is left in his house doing nothing but being unhappy. SpongeBob then becomes even more concerned for Squidward and tries to get ahold of him, but fails. He then traps Squidward in a box, and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he reveals that he created a party to cheer Squidward up. Unfortunately, SpongeBob failed to get anyone else to come, because some of them were busy or sick, so instead he made 100 paper-mâché life-sized models of himself. Squidward hates seeing more than one sculpture of SpongeBob in one place so he goes berserk, destroys all the paper-mâché sculptures, and claims this to be his "happiest memory."

Clappy: Ah yes, the infamous "Squidward suicide" episode.  While yes those jokes are incredibly dark in spirit, which should not have a place in a kid's show, I don't think this episode is as terrible as it's made out to be.  If you want actual dark suicide humor, just you guys wait until we get deeper in this countdown.  But what this episode does get right is SpongeBob actually trying to be genuine during Squidward's depression.  That saves me from hating this, but that doesn't save me from defending how unfunny and very dark this episode is.  More of a bummer than anything else.

Katniss: Bleh, this episode. SpongeBob trying to create a happiest memory for Squidward could’ve been a nice, heartwarming plot, but this episode was such a bummer. Those ‘suicide fake out’ jokes where Squidward looked like he was about to kill himself weren’t that funny to me and made me a little bit uncomfortable. Also, the ending to this episode ("he's so handsome") was stupid. If my list had been a top 30, Are You Happy Now probably would have made the cut.

29. Pineapple Fever

125a%20-%20Pineapple%20Fever%20406.jpg

79 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#4 Patty)

SpongeBob wakes up one morning and takes out his jellyfishing net. SpongeBob then walks out of the door and talks to Patrick. While talking, Patrick suggests they look at the weather first. The weatherman, Phil Preflester, says that there will be a terrible storm. SpongeBob and Patrick hear this, so they start covering the windows and front door with wooden boards. Squidward hears this, so he bursts into SpongeBob's house. SpongeBob and Patrick tell him there will be a storm, but Squidward does not believe them. He walks away, but then lightning strikes him and he walks back into SpongeBob's house. The three then start playing games like Tic Tac Toe, but they say you need to play rock, paper, scissors to see who goes first, and they all do paper. Later, they play with a jigsaw puzzle, and Patrick has to put the last piece of the puzzle, but it is too hard for him and he eventually becomes older by 30 years per second. Squidward says it can only go one place, but SpongeBob said that was cheating.

Squidward then comes up with a game called "Boundaries" where Squidward would stay on his side of the boundary and SpongeBob and Patrick could not cross a line he drew. When Squidward gets on his side, he realizes that he's starving. He then finds a bag of food, but it's snail food. He tries to get downstairs to the fridge, but SpongeBob in border guard uniform, will not let Squidward cross. Squidward then runs to the fridge, and takes all the food.

However, SpongeBob leaps on him, and they bump into Patrick. Then, SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick are all scrambling for food. Squidward then thinks that the storm stopped, and he runs out of SpongeBob's house and falls off SpongeBob's house, which was on top of a tornado.

Clappy: One video says it all for me.

Filler the episode.  This is one of the laziest excuses of an episode of SpongeBob.  That gag alone honestly takes up nearly ONE WHOLE MINUTE.  If you wanted to replicate The Camping Episode that badly, TRY HARDER.  If this wasn't a lazy half effort of my favorite SpongeBob episode, my hatred for this would be far less.  And even then, that doesn't count feeling bad for Squidward, the horrible jokes, the cop out of an ending, etc.  This was in my Bottom 10 and I am actually ok with this ranking because this was higher than it was last time.

Katniss: I actually like this episode. Yeah, some people say that Squidward was shoehorned in, but I liked that he was a part of the episode. SpongeBob, Pat, and Squiddy being stuck in SB’s house during a storm seems like a good episode concept to me. There are some good jokes in there like the boundaries game and Patrick aging. I don’t even mind that drawn out “and we can play board games and tic-tac-toe” joke, which I actually find fairly humorous. However, I wasn’t too fond of the part where Squidward tore off his eyebrow; that seemed like unnecessary grossout to me. I can understand why people would dislike it but this is one of season 6’s better episodes in my opinion.

• Like 6

30: Ah, my number 1. It's not there because I hate watching it the most, it's not there for it's excessive problems, and it's not there because I think it's the laziest (See my #4, #3 and #2 respectively). But honestly, I'd prefer not to talk about it right now. :unsure:

29: Come on, a whole minute for the one gag? While everyone has their definition, comedy is agreed to be a process that confuses your mind with surprise. Taking a minute for a repetitious joke will get boring really quickly. The rest of the episode is no better at spending excessive times with "jokes," because the one's that didn't take that long were cringe-worthy. Alongside that, Squidward is taken into the plot for absolutely no reason. It feels like nature's kidnapping him. The time they take is so short that it's hard to believe they'd go into insanity after a single storm. And to believe I borrowed from this heavily with some old stop-motion thing...

The Gift of Gum: Thank you, how did I ever dislike Best Day Ever more than this? This was just completely juvenile and dull.

Atlantis Squarepantis: Eh...I've lost my drive to defend this episode in recent years, despite not finding it to be terrible. It could've been WAY better.

Are You Happy Now?: I saw some of this one and it was meh. The suicide jokes didn't appeal to me either.

Pineapple Fever: Another episode I used to like that lost its appeal on me. Spongebob, Patrick, and even Squidward just...annoy me in it now.

30. This episode did not make my Bottom 25, but it certainly did make it close. This was #27 on my Bottom 50 list. All this episode is about is Squidward becoming depressed that he doesn't have a happiest memory and SpongeBob trying to cheer him up. If there's something I expect from a SpongeBob episode, it's funny jokes, and this episode lacks them. It's not very funny seeing someone hang their head in the oven as if they're about to commit suicide, but then take a casserole out of the oven. In fact, pretty much all the jokes in this episode stem from Squidward being depressed. In fact, I really don't think they should be making jokes like that. I mean, episodes like Nasty Patty are fine, but SpongeBob SquarePants isn't a really great show to make these kinds of jokes in. Ren and Stimpy, maybe, but SpongeBob is a show where I like to be happy and laugh and forget about how depressing life is. Leave the depressing topics to shows like Family Guy or The Simpsons.

29. I probably should have put this somewhere in my list because I remember how annoying it is. Most of the jokes in this episode felt really forced in this episode, like the part where Patrick turns old during a puzzle. Also, you know how some people complain about the toenail scene in House Fancy? Well, I think the eyebrow part in this episode is a strong competitor to that scene.