• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

4 hours ago, Sammy The Scallop said:

I have never seen Ink Lemonade.  Never plan to either to be honest since I rarely watch new SpongeBob unless you guys talk up and episode enough positively.  But it feels like I’ve practically seen it with all the commentary and mass rejection for how generally unlikeable it is, how offputting some of the animation is, and how terrible Patrick treats Squidward and so on and so forth.  Like I said, it feels like I’ve practically watched the episode with how often it’s been talked about right here right now on this site, hell even this thread.Btw, mark my words that Ink Lemonade will drop in future countdowns because this feels like too new levels of hatred like when Mr. Enter made the internet despise Pet Sitter Pat.  But that last sentence is besides the point.  My point is this:

357683.jpg

...but does it have a moment like this!?

This is legitimately one of the last things you see in the episode after Squid has been constantly scared for the entire episode, as extra salt in the wound, and it was lead into like he might actually be treated nicely but instead they give a final middle finger to him to end the episode

Spoilers: Spider warning, those who've seen it know what I'm talking about and those who get easily unnerved by spiders, don't click

Spoiler

Glu1CcV.png?1

All of this is after the townsfolk shit on him once they realize what they've been notably convulsing at the entire episode is actually legitimately just his ink, and screw Squidward for at least trying to get something out of his torture. It's an episode where you need to see the entire thing to understand the scope of just how absurd it is, because it shows off every single problem I've had with both post-movie and post-sequel. There was no internet reviewer to make me and the rest of SBC hate it like how Enter did with Pet Sitter Pat, I legitimately had less than 24 hours to put it on my list given the deadline, and looking back I actually wish I put it higher. This episode might drop, but to me it is legitimately what I'd show first thing to new writers on how to not treat characters, and I've been contemplating making this my new number one, and after my Sportz rant, know that I'm not exaggerating when I say an episode is potentially my new worst.

Fungus is far less gross, less in your face about blatantly torturing a character, has a more cohesive plot in terms of why characters do things (quarantining SpongeBob while rude, at least made sense to do for the Bottomites while Patrick is selling lemonade because....they legitimately never even gave a motivation there which makes Patrick going so far all the more infuriating) and the only positive things I can find in Ink are completely dwarfed while I can at least get a laugh at the stupidity of pirate wrestling from Fungus.  So yes, Ink had a scene like that and even excluding those scenes from both, Ink is still a worse episode.

Had Choir Boys 13th, maybe next year I'll nail it on the dot :squilliam2:

Pets or Pests is one of those stupid gross-out ones and even though it actually annoys me unlike other episodes such as The Splinter, it keeps escaping my list. I'll honestly need to give it a rewatch because every time it shows up this high I want to reconsider it but I never can care enough to look too deep into it whenever I actually do watch it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

All That Glitters: Probably the first awful episode of the show. Didn't make my list because there's been more awful episodes since, but I wouldn't blame someone for putting it on their list. Along with the crying it weirdly plays the soap opera plot fairly straight.

Boating Buddies: Lel.

Rodeo Daze: Glad this one is higher. It made my list, albeit barely at #25. Not the most unwatchable episode but it lacks value in every category and everything is so messy. Sandy was seriously close to becoming SpongeBob's meg where they just made fun of how useless she was rather than do anything interesting with her. This and Kitchen both have Sandy treated like trash and they couldn't even remember her name in Last Stand. Thankfully season 8 fixed this, one of the few things I can credit season 8 for.

Yours, Mine and Mine: Pretty annoying episode but my hate for this one has died down a bit. Patrick is intolerable and the conflict is really petty childish even for SpongeBob, but I can credit the episode for not boring me as much as some other season 6-8 episodes. Still a really bad episode and I can't blame anyone for putting it on their lists.

Squid's Visit: Made my list at #17. This show can produce some really creative and interesting episodes when it goes into the realm of creepy, this is not one of those.

Truth or Square: Yep this is my #1. I'm considering making Ink Lemonade my #1 but this is truly an abysmal episode either way. It's just a complete waste of time that doesn't even bother to put smallest plot in. More than anything else this really feels like an insult towards people who actually care about the quality of the show. Thanks for the 3 commentators who did a good job explaining why this episode fails so badly.

Fungus Among Us: I have a hard time trying to figure out what they were trying to accomplish with this episode, there's nothing funny at all, I don't even see where they're attempting to make jokes and it doesn't even go all the way with the gross-out. Didn't make my list but a stinker for sure.

The Splinter: This one was close to making my list. I don't think it's that gross any more but it's still an awful episode. This is just gross-out. For it to be gross-out humor there needs to be humor. The splinter just becoming disgusting isn't funny itself. I also despise Patrick in this episode. It's boring as well.

Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy: A boring rehash with stupid humor. Didn't make my list but it was close.

Slide Whistle Stooges: I'm glad this one made it much higher this year. I forgot just how bad this one was until I rewatched it. The gags were painfully annoying and the ending has to be one of the most insulting ones ever. Squidward is treated like a monster but SpongeBob and Patrick slide whistling in a hospital is okay? #12 on my list.

Choir Boys: Lel.

Pet or Pests: #9 on my list. Disgusting and bland episode with no redeeming qualities at all.

My List:

Spoiler

1. Truth or Square (#17)

2. Sportz? (#2)

4. Atlantis SquarePantis (#4)

6. Boating Buddies (#21)

9. Pet or Pests (#11)

10. Squidward's School for Grown Ups (#39)

11. Choir Boys (#12)

12. Slide Whistle Stooges (#13)

13. Are You Happy Now? (#32)

21. Gone (#45)

25. Rodeo Daze (#20)

• Like 3

In my point of view, "Choir Boys" is just...unremarkable. It didn't even make it onto my list this year, DESPITE having what is POSSIBLY the WEIRDEST face Spongebob has EVER made (outside of "Face Freeze-Off!" of course)! :rolleyes: And is "Pets or Pests" really THAT disliked?! o.o From my point of view, it's not even a BAD episode; but I guess other people feel differently about it. Enough said, for now. ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4EverGreen said:

In my point of view, "Choir Boys" is just...unremarkable. It didn't even make it onto my list this year, DESPITE having what is POSSIBLY the WEIRDEST face Spongebob has EVER made (outside of "Face Freeze-Off!" of course)! :rolleyes: 

my favorite dpongebob episode

Edited by President Squidward
  • Confused 1
  • God Himself 3

Now we enter the bottom 10.

10. Big Sister Sam

rK4tgLX.jpg?1

175 points. 12 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #6 - @Wintermelon43

Summary:

Spoiler

The episode opens with SpongeBob and Gary sleeping. Patrick is cleaning his rock with a mop then wakes them up. SpongeBob asks him why he is doing it and he responds by saying his sister Sam Star, is coming. Patrick also reveals that they were lost in the surf when they were only kids. Squidward screams angrily and demands peace and quiet, but Sam then arrives in a bus and punches the door down. She is revealed to be a huge starfish. Sam hugs and almost suffocates Patrick. Patrick introduces SpongeBob to Sam and Sam, mistaking SpongeBob to be a danger, protects Patrick by throwing SpongeBob. Patrick suggests that they go inside to "play," but Sam explains how the house is too small. Sam then takes a briefcase filled with sand and constructs a new house, made of sand. Patrick thanks her. However, Squidward complains that his house is filled with sand. Again, Sam feels overprotective and moves Squidward's house with only her bare hands. Squidward makes jokes about Sam saying, how she is bigger, and dumber than Patrick. Sam responds by getting angry and then starting to cry because she already knows it is all true. Her giant tears throw both Squidward and SpongeBob.

After that, Patrick becomes overprotective of Sam by saying that SpongeBob and Squidward are "meanies" and saying that they should blecorate (decorate) the rock. However, she uses parts of Squidward's house to decorate it, damaging it greatly. Then Squidward gets angry and calls her a thief. Then SpongeBob tries to talk some sense into Patrick, but Patrick does not care that Sam deliberately dismantled Squidward's house. Then he starts crying, thinking SpongeBob has become a traitor and gets head-butted by Sam along with Squidward back to their houses, damaging his house further. Squidward gets angry and drops a rock on the house, ruining the "spiffy." In response, Sam and Patrick come out of the house and Sam chews up the loose parts and spits them at Squidward's house, completely destroying it.

In the last act of retaliation, Squidward then drives a bulldozer at Patrick, Sam, and the house, trying Patrick and Sam's house in a crazed rage. SpongeBob tries to stop him but to no avail. Sam, who throws the bulldozer at SpongeBob's house, stops Squidward (whom suddenly disappears for the rest of the episode). After that, SpongeBob finally becomes upset at the destruction of his house, making Patrick finally see what SpongeBob means. Patrick tries to tell her to control her temper, but she gets very angry and destroys her own home while Patrick sacrifices himself to save the house. Patrick lays there unconscious but SpongeBob successfully wakes him up by using cookie dough. Sam feels very guilty and explains that she must leave (She is late for a manicure and shows them her nails). As Sam leaves on the bus, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh about their experience with Patrick's sister.

Jjs: This is an episode that I didn't realize how much I disliked until 2015, and it's slowly been moving through my list ever since, enough to crack my personal bottom 10 at #10 this year. God, Sam is one of the most irritating, unlikeable and obnoxious characters in the entire series. She's kind of like Patrick's Stanley, but ten times more awful. They try to make us like her by the end, but it's too little too late by then for me. I find myself unable to care about her or her "tragic backstory". One of the worst one-offs in the series. Her constantly destroying stuff and going "BIG SISTER SAM ANGRY" got stale and tiresome fast, with no real wit or substance to her actions. Patrick being an oblivious fool her actions however, was also just as annoying and not funny. Also, having the whole episode take place on the street wasn't exactly the smartest idea, as it gives off even more "Bottle Episode" vibes more so than Truth or Square ever could. I spiritually related to Squidward in this one again, who was the only redeeming factor at all. Overall, a very obnoxious and yawn of an episode with no real jokes, unlikeable characters and a stale setting. 

BeachBob: Kinda like Sandy's twinbrother in Rodeo Daze, we expect to see a fun new character that could be introduced in many original and likable ways. They didn't, though. They messed up. Sister Sam is the laziest and most predictable character the series has ever had. Brace yourselves.

Let's start with the positives. Squidward is a good character in this episode, and his little team-up with SpongeBob is the best part. Also there are some funny jokes, like 'plecorate'. But that's about it. This episode has many, many problems, and I am very glad to see it's made the top 10 this year.

First of all: this episode has a lot of wasted pontential. Like I said, they had the chance to write a story about a fresh new character. For all we know it could have been as good as Plankton's Pet. But what they did here was minimal. They made the laziest character ever and have the same 'Sam is a buffoon' joke repeat itself for ten minutes at the same location. The in-story time frame is also only ten minutes. For an episode that should be interesting, that is very, very disappointing. Also, for some reason the background music reminds me more of Looney Tunes than it should, since the under water themed music is almost entirely absent this time around. And last but not least: this episode is everything you don't like about Patrick times twenty.

Oh boy, is Sam annoying. She is big and mean and dumb. That's litteraly it. They make it seem like she has a sweet side to her, being overprotective of her brother. But I don't see it. I see a maniac that should be held in prison. She is stupider than Patrick, to the point where she can not make full sentences, and just screams and breaks stuff. That is everything this episode relies on. It's not funny in the slidest, it just makes you uncomfortable. We know she will crush things. We know Patrick will let her crush SpongeBob and his house for no reason. I believe Patrick's ignorance here is far, far worse than SpongeBob's in A Pal for Gary. In a way, this is even the same episode but worse, if you see Puffy Fluffy as Sister Sam in this one. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Big Sister Sam was yet another disappointment in season 7. It almost seems like the writers are burned out at the end of every season, given that the most disliked episodes are mostly near the end of the seasons, if you ask me. Hopefully the recent era will prevent an episode as boring and flat like Big Sister Sam from being incarnated. Let's hope they will at least 'plecorate' it a bit more.

9. Trenchbillies

ki7fNML.png?1

182 points. 12 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: 3 #3's - @WumboJack Horseman, @Cha♡ & @BeachBob95

Summary:

Spoiler

After four days in Jellyfish Fields, SpongeBob and Patrick are still silently waiting for the jellyfish to move. Finally, they swim away and the chase is on! The plan is for SpongeBob to take one side and Patrick then takes the other. However, as both approach the jellyfish, they end up colliding, letting the jellyfish escape.

They continue chasing the jellyfish. They don't watch where they are going and accidentally fall off a cliff, falling way down to a county-like village and land on a port-a-potty. Many of the trenchbillies gang up on SpongeBob and Patrick and capture them with a rope. They take them to Ma Angler, who says that they are "awful purdy." Ma Angler orders them to an initiation. SpongeBob and Patrick question them and Ma Angler sentences them to a series of challenges, being: a banjo contest, "hootin' and hollerin'" contest, and a wrestling match. SpongeBob and Patrick win the first two competitions but decline to the wrestling match, claiming that "they don't like to wrestle." Ma Angler is surprised and asks them what they like to do for fun. SpongeBob claims that they like to jellyfish. They show the trenchbillies how to jellyfish and collide, once again. Ma Angler enjoys this. The trench billies laugh at them and call them dumb. Ma Angler certifies them as official honorary trenchbillies and gives them novelty teeth. 

SpongeBob gives a short speech and attempts to leave, however, they are stopped by a group of trenchbillies. One of the trenchbillies says that they have to take care of Ma Angler for the rest of their lives. SpongeBob and Patrick try to convince them to let them leave but the trenchbillies won't let them.

Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs and Squidward lightly chat and then SpongeBob and Patrick burst through the door. The trenchbillies follow them. The trenchbillies destroy the restaurant out of anger. Mr. Krabs nervously asks them for their orders. They all order something to eat. Mr. Krabs says that Ma Angler, who is eating a lot of Krabby Patties will make Customer of the Week. One of the trench billies sees Mr. Krabs making "goo-goo eyes at the Ma Angler" and as the episode ends, Mr. Krabs is forced to get "hitched" (married) to Ma Angler.

Jjs: Although I'm not sure in hindsight if I made the right call putting this so high at #12 on my list, this episode still is dumb, boring and at times, just flat out wtf. I still think this is the worst, most useless entry in the Legends of Bikini Bottom miniseries. I don't care about the redneck stereotypes they were going for. No, my problem is the episode has nothing of substance, and the Trenchbillies themselves aren't even like-able or entertaining characters. More competition for some of the worst one-offs we've ever had in the series. The rest of the "content" is a dull, snore of a slog that awkwardly ends at the Krusty Krab for no real conceivable reason. Poor Mr. Krabs. SpongeBob and Patrick are also pretty stupid and not really funny here. This episode feels like either a Family Guy or Simpsons episode that somehow turned into a SpongeBob episode, not sure which. Speaking of Simpsons though, Season 7 and 8 at times had many bland, stale and dead air episodes that could lead people to believe Al Jean was on the show. I'd argue this is the most Al Jean-ish episode of the entire series, because it's also bland, stale, and dead air. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom, Sponge-Cano and The Main Drain combined held my interest longer than this episode, and I can't even tell you off the top of my head what actually happened in those episodes. Such a waste of an episode when they literally could've done anything else for a Legends episode.

WhoBob: holy fuck, is Trenchbillies that much hated? I was not expecting that episode to be this high on the list. Sadly It avoided my list and I don't think it should be higher than some of other episodes that are tackled before but that doesn't change the fact that this episode was a big horsecrap. Although it's not my least favorite out of all Legends of Bikini Bottom series (WHERE'S THE MAIN DRAIN ON THIS LIST???), it definitely sucked for this main reason. Redneck stereotypes. Look, I can accept any type of comedy if it's done right. Plankton's Army also had redneck stereotypes but the thing about that episode was those characters were a surprise the audience and they are perfect opposites to our intelligent Sheldon J. Plankton. Not the mention it had more jokes than stereotyping. But here it was just stereotype for sake of it and they pretty much included every single redneck joke in 11 minutes. There was nothing creative or funny about these redneck fishes doing stupid stuff and being uncultured swines. I can let their designs slide, they are supposed to be ugly looking anyway but they were just bad characters. The entire episode was an unfunny boredom and this was supposed to be a legendary episode. Look, I don't give a fuck about Nick's shameless cash grab but at least live up to some of that hype or make it funny like Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle. Not some lazy attempts to make stereotypes funny. Oh and the ending of Mr. Krabs being forced into marriage, how funny! I still stand by that this episode should have been lower but I'm glad it'll always be on people's lists.

Edited by Harold Claude
  • Like 5

Big Sitter Sam barely missed my list but I couldn't agree more that this was such a piece of shit episode. Sam is your stereotypical angry butch female character with personality of Patrick's. She had no redeeming qualities and all of her moments were just irritating. Patrick was such a trashy character as well, at least he came in his senses at the end, okay, Sam did as well but no excuse to make those characters this unlikeable. I liked SpongeBob/Squidward team up and that's about it. What a boring and loud mess.

• Like 2

Big Sister Sam: This one (obvisualy) made my list. Sister Sam is easily the worst one-off character (well, out of any characters really) of the whole series. She's basically the worst of Patrick but muitipled times 3. She completely destroys Squidward's and Spongebob's houses due to being a brutal jerk, and when she's called out for it, Patrick defends her. Not even Patrick should want to defend someone like this, with how terrible and monsterous she is. Yet, he defends her almost the whole episode, and when he finally realizes she's a piece of crap, Sam nearly kills Patrick, which she actually wishes she didn't do, but then she never apologizes either for that or for all the other stuff she did, and neither did Patrick. This whole episode is just so infuriating and stupid, with horrid characters and bad jokes.

Trenchbillies: Oh my god, this made the list after all? YES!!!! I had this episode far into my list at 9th, but after this got to the bottom 20 and it never showed up, I lost hope in it showing up. So glad this made the list after all. So yeah, this episode has an extremely stupid plot, terribly unfunny humor, stereotypical, gross, terrible new characters, and a really stupid ending. This is easily the worst legends of bikini bottom episode.

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: The Play's the Thing

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: Squid's Visit

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: Sportz?

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: Fungus Among Us

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy

22: Boating Buddies

21: ???

20: Choir Boys

19: Slide Whistle Stooges  

18: ???

17: Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

16: ???

15: ???

14: Summer Job

13: To Love a Patty

12: ???

11: The Splinter

10: Cephalopod Lodge

9: Trenchbillies

8: Shuffleboarding

7: ???

6: Big Sister Sam

5: ???

4: Yours, Mine, & Mine

3: ???

2: Pet or Pests

1: ???

(I moved one episode further down since this started, so this list I'm using here is different than the one I submitted)

• Thanks 1

There’s Trenchbillies.  Good lord do I keep underrating it on my list every time I do this even though it made my top ten this go around.  From the appalling redneck stereotypes to the implied incest of those god awful fish people, everything about this episode just flat out sucks.  But I do agree that when it isn’t trying to make you question who’s bright idea it was to greenlight this episode, it’s dull as hell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

Oh daaang these are two surprises, but welcome ones. I think I'll be happy once we all agree that the entire Legends of Bikini Bottom series sucked.

The series in general sucked, but there is one very good episode (Bikini Bottom Triangle)

9 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

Oh daaang these are two surprises, but welcome ones. I think I'll be happy once we all agree that the entire Legends of Bikini Bottom series sucked.

honestly I still liked Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle and The Curse of the Hex in a way but I agree that rest was from mediocre to legit bad.

• Like 4

Big Sister Sam: Besides loving "Truth or Square," this might be one of my other biggest controversial takes: I don't hate this episode like I feel as I should, even when it's got that dangerous Casey/Zeus/Richard combo. It's usually because it's fascinating how I can't see myself rooting for anyone in the episode besides SpongeBob. Obviously, I can't root for Sam, who is one of the worst one-off characters written, I can't root for Patrick, even if he has his reasons to come to his sister's defense, and I can't root for Squidward, taking in consideration of some scenes where he ends up adding fuel to the fire. This doesn't reflects towards my thoughts on the writing, but it's also fascinating how this episode only takes place in one location - definitely a solid example of a Bottle Episode.

Trenchbillies: This didn't make my list, but it ended up close to it. The worst episode from the otherwise underwhelming Legends of Bikini Bottom series of episodes, for sure. In fact, what is this episode even doing as part of Legends of Bikini Bottom? This is anything but a legend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Sponge said:

In fact, what is this episode even doing as part of Legends of Bikini Bottom? This is anything but a legend.

Same can be said for the rest of them.

• Thanks 1

Big Sister Sam: Made my list. OH BOY WAS THIS EPISODE ANNOYING. Patrick was so fricking annoying here, his sister (who was never mentioned to exist at all before or after this episode) was also plain annoying. There's nothing else I can say about this otherwise unremarkable episode.

Trenchbillies: This episode was... something, that's for sure. It made my list. This episode's only attempts at humour are the stereotypes, which come off as rather unfunny. There's little to no substance in this episode and that's an understatement. It's easily the worst of the Legends of Bikini Bottom series (which was pretty bad overall).

• Like 1