• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Shark Tale

'Ere's mine, move Ink from 7th to 2nd and be sure to fight me in the comments.

Spoiler
  1. Sportz

2. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom

3. Tentacle Vision

4. The Play’s the Thing

5. Slumber Party

6. Pranks a Lot (not even in my bottom 5 anymore? :O)

7. Ink Lemonade

8. Cephalopod Lodge

9. Slide Whistle Stooges

10. Squid’s Visit

11. Professor Squidward

12. Squid Baby

13. Choir Boys

14. Shuffleboarding

15. To Love a Patty

16. Big Sister Sam

17. The Fishbowl

18. The Googly Artiste

19. Waiting

20. All That Glitters

21. Squid Wood

22. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

23. Trenchbillies

24. Krabby Kronicle

25. To Squarepants or not to Squarepants

If anything I'm most surprised on Krabby Kronicle not making honorable mentions. 

• Like 1
  • Happy 1

welp may as well post my list, only six episodes missed the list overall, two of which were honourable mentions so... yay conformity? (i got nothin on whobob tho)

Spoiler

25. SpongeHenge - HM

24. Le Big Switch

23. Overbooked

22. The Cent of Money - #38

21. Demolition Doofus - #23

20. Curse of the Hex

19. To Love a Patty - #27

18. Big Sister Sam - #10

17. SpongeBob, You're Fired - #5

16. Shuffleboarding - #29

15. Waiting - #24

14. Rule of Dumb - HM

13. The Splinter - #15

12. Atlantis SquarePantis - #36

11. Truth or Square - #17

10. A Pal for Gary - #2

9. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy - #14

8. Banned in Bikini Bottom

7. Fungus Among Us - #16

6. Stuck in the Wringer - #1

5. Are You Happy Now? - #32

4. All That Glitters - #22

3. Trenchbillies - #9

2. Ink Lemonade - #4

1. Slide Whistle Stooges - #13 (this feels better)

• Thanks 1

homies hot takes leaked:

Spoiler

1. Pets or Pests

2. Smoothe Jazz

3. Ink Lemonade

4. Sportz?

5. Restraining SpongeBob

6. One Coarse Meal

7. The Cent of Money

8. Stuck in the Wringer

9. Pet Sitter Pat

10. The Play's The Thing

11. Kenny the Cat

12. Slide Whistle Stooges

13. SpongeBob Vs. The Big One

14. Doodle Dimension 

15. The Googly Artiste

16. The Clash of Triton

17. A Day Without Tears

18. Summer Job

19. Rodeo Daze

20. Karate Island

21. To Love a Patty

22.  The Main Drain

23. Yours, Mine and Mine

24. Barnacle Face

25. Don't Feed The Clowns

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • God Himself 1

My List:

Atlantis Squarepantis (36)

Truth or Square (17) 

Best Day Ever (49)

Sentimental Sponge (HM)

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups  (39)

Little Yellow Book (28)   

Gone (45) 

Are You Happy Now? (32)   

inSPONGEiac (HM)

Rodeo Daze (20)

Tentacle-Vison (34)

Sponge-Cano! (HM)

Pineapple Fever (31)

Restraining Spongebob (50)

Professor Squidward (47) 

Rule of Dumb (HM)

The Cent of Money (38)

The Googly Artiste (HM)

SpongeHenge (HM)

All That Glitters (22) 

Demolition Doofus (23) 

A Day Without Tears (37) 

The Card (HM) 

50: SpongeBob, You're Fired (5)

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob (42)   

48: The Play's the Thing (33)

47: Gullible Pants

46: Good Ol'Whatshisname

45: Stanley S. Squarepants  

44: Wigstruck 

43: Face Freeze (40)

42: New Fish in Town (HM)

41: Plankton's Regular (48)

40: Squid's Visit (18) 

39: Pet Sitter Pat (41)

38: Porous Pockets 

37: The Main Drain

36: Gramma's Secret Recipe

35: A Breath of Fresh Squidward

34: Sportz? (30) 

33: Hide and then what Happens?

32: Grooming Gary 

31: Dear Vikings (shouldn't have been this far in hindsight)

30: Good Neighbors (44) (shouldn't have been this far in hindsight)

29: Clash of Trition (7) 

28: The Thing (46)

27: Fungus Among Us (16) 

26: Squid Wood (HM)

25: A Pal for Gary (2)

24: Sun Bleached (43) 

23: Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (14)

22: Boating Buddies (21)

21: The Battle of Bikini Bottom

20: Choir Boys (12)

19: Slide Whistle Stooges  (13) 

18: You Don't Know Sponge

17: Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (25) 

16: Waiting (24)

15: To Squarepants or not to Squarepants 

(Ink Lemonade's spot on my submitted list) 

14: Summer Job (26)   

13: To Love a Patty (27)

12: Stuck in the Wringer (1)

11: The Splinter (15) 

10: Cephalopod Lodge (35) 

9: Trenchbillies (9)

8: Shuffleboarding (29) 

7: Ink Lemonade (4)

6: Big Sister Sam (10) 

5: Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom (8)

4: Yours, Mine, & Mine (19) 

3: One Coarse Meal (3)

2: Pet or Pests (11) 

1: Squid Baby (7)

• Thanks 1

Here's my list if I had actually composed one :funny:

25. Hide and then What Happens?
24. Truth or Square
23. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful
22. A Flea in Her Dome
21. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy
20. Rodeo Daze
19. Yours, Mine, and Mine
18. Fungus Among Us
17. A Pal for Gary
16. Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom
15. Good Neighbors
14. Stuck in the Wringer
13. Ink Lemonade
12. To Love a Patty
11. All That Glitters
10. Boating Buddies
09. Slide Whistle Stooges
08. SpongeBob You're Fired
07. One Coarse Meal
06. Atlantis SquarePantis
05. Squid Baby
04. House Sittin' for Sandy
03. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom
02. Summer Job
01. Little Yellow Book

Edited by PatBack
  • Thanks 2

Here's my bottom 25 list, for anyone who is interested.

1. "A Pal for Gary" 2. "Fun-Sized Friends" 3. "The Splinter" 4. "The Best Day Ever" 5. "Atlantis Squarepantis" 6. "The Clash of Triton" 7. "Stuck in the Wringer" 8. "One Coarse Meal" 9. "Good Neighbors" 10. "Can You Spare a Dime?" 11. "Waiting" 12. "Blackened Sponge" 13. "Life of Crime" 14. "Squidward Baby" 15. "Enemy-in-Law" 16. "House Fancy" 17. "There's a Sponge in My Soup" 18. "A Flea in Her Dome" 19. "Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy" 20. "The Gift of Gum" 21. "Grandma's Secret Recipe" 22. "Little Yellow Book" 23. "Growth Spout" 24. "Are You Happy Now?" 25. "The Cent of Money"

And in retrospect, I have to agree that "A Pal for Gary" does at LEAST have a redeemable ending, and it's not COMPLETELY horrible, whereas "Stuck in the Wringer" (which also made my list), and "Ink Lemonade", HAVE no real redeeming features to speak of! I wonder what changes will be made in the next list we make? I'll see you then! :D Enough said! ;)

Edited by 4EverGreen
Formatted my spoiler incorrectly.
  • Thanks 1

*cracks knuckles*

A Pal For Gary sucks lol, didn't make it that high on my list since there is a couple funny moments (I found the enchiladas line funny), but it's more boring and SpongeBob's character being so oblivious is annoying, but I've seen much worse.

Stuck For the Wringer is a bad episode. I can't believe I didn't put it on my list, plus I don't know why I USED TO LIKE IT. Dumb moral, horrible characters (such as Patrick and the townspeople) and you've got yourself a bad episode.

And now the honorable mentions:

I can't believe I forgot about Sponge-Cano too! Squidward is such a jerk in this episode, and he ruins the ending. Besides that I honestly forgot about it's existence when creating this list lol.

The Googly Artiste made it on #4, this episode infuriates me, hot take I know. I think what made thie episode that high was Patrick himself. His stupidity is annoying and unfunny as usual, and even comes off as jerkish (especially with what he says to Squidward that "if he works hard, he can become an artist too). Like, fuck you, you glued a bunch of eyes together to a rock. You're not good at art... not even in a minimalist sort of way. I hate him so much in this episode, same with the "art critic" in the beginning. I've never had this much rage over two fictional characters. :P

Squid Wood made it to #18 on my list. It does suck since Squidward just wanted some alone time and I wish the mini Squidward idea was protrayed better than just "oh Squidward gets treayed like garbage just because he's grumpy ecks deeee". Ah well, at least we got a godly Youtube Poop of this episode. I hope Mini Squidward becomes a great typist one day.

Sentimental Sponge made it to #22 on me list. It's a dumb idea from the start thanks to Patrick since he's a slob. Besides that, idk why I put it on this list. It's more boring than bad.

Spongehenge is an okay episode, never really cared for it but I've found some enjoyable things about it. It's in the middle for me.

Rule of Dumb I can't really hate on, since everyone realized Patrick's jerkiness, even Patrick himself at the end ("What have I become?") which saves the episode from being bad to me.

inSPONGEiac is another middle of the road episode for me. Not good, not bad, just eh. The title is such a shitty pun though.

The Card is another decent episode for me. Patrick isn't that awful for me in here, plus there was some entertaining moments here and there.

New Fish in Town is one of the better episodes for Season 8 imo. I thought some moments were funny. It was dumb, yes, but I always loved the scene where the characters just jumped off the cliff for no reason. :P

Alright, here's my entire list. Beware of the hot takes:

25. The Splinter

24. Chum Fricassee

23. Fiasco!

22. Sentimental Sponge

21. The Play's The Thing

20. One Coarse Meal

19. Face Freeze

18. Squid Wood

17. Patrick! The Game

16. Tentacle-Vision

15. A Pal For Gary

14. Whirlybrains

13. Squidward's School For Grown-Ups

12. Perfect Chemistry

11. SpongeBob, You're Fired

10. Trench-Billies

9. Ink Lemonade

8. Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom

7. Little Yellow Book

6. Sportz?

5. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

4. The Googly Artiste

3. The Clash of Triton

2.  Squid Baby

1.  Slide Whistle Stooges

I'm happy I participated in the list this year. It was pretty fun. Thanks to @The Boulder and anyone else who encouraged me to participate for the first time ever! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna work on my Top 25 best list.

Edited by President Squidward
  • Like 2
  • Happy 3

11 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

Here's my bottom 25 list, for anyone who is interested.

Hide contents

1. "A Pal for Gary" 2. "Fun-Sized Friends" 3. "The Splinter" 4. "The Best Day Ever" 5. "Atlantis Squarepantis" 6. "The Clash of Triton" 7. "Stuck in the Wringer" 8. "One Coarse Meal" 9. "Good Neighbors" 10. "Can You Spare a Dime?" 11. "Waiting" 12. "Blackened Sponge" 13. "Life of Crime" 14. "Squidward Baby" 15. "Enemy-in-Law" 16. "House Fancy" 17. "There's a Sponge in My Soup" 18. "A Flea in Her Dome" 19. "Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy" 20. "The Gift of Gum" 21. "Grandma's Secret Recipe" 22. "Little Yellow Book" 23. "Growth Spout" 24. "Are You Happy Now?" 25. "The Cent of Money"

And in retrospect, I have to agree that "A Pal for Gary" does at LEAST have a redeemable ending, and it's not COMPLETELY horrible, whereas "Stuck in the Wringer" (which also made my list), and "Ink Lemonade", HAVE no real redeeming features to speak of! I wonder what changes will be made in the next list we make? I'll see you then! :D Enough said! ;)

Can You Spare a Dime will be number 1 on my best list

• Happy 5
  • Sad 1
  • God Himself 2

Here was my list (incredibly outdated though. Need to work on a new one soon)

Spoiler

25. Plankton's Regular (still don't like it)

24. SpongeHenge (still don't like it)

23. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (I like it now)

22. To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants (still don't like it)

21. Giant Squidward (still don't like it)

20. The Thing (still don't like it)

19. Gullible Pants (still don't like it)

18. The Splinter (need to rewatch)

17. Professor Squidward (still don't like it)

16. Big Sister Sam (still don't like it)

15. Breath of Fresh Squidward (still don't like it)

14. The Original Fry Cook (still don't like it)

13. Fungus Among Us (still don't like it)

12. The Slumber Party (need to rewatch)

11. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (still don't like it)

10. Summer Job (still don't like it)

9. Stuck in the Wringer (still don't like it)

8. Choir Boys (still don't like it)

7. Yours, Mine and Mine (still don't like it)

6. The Play's the Thing (still don't like it)

5. Tentacle-Vision (still don't like it)

4. Pineapple Fever (need to rewatch)

3. Cephlapod Lodge (still don't like it)

2. Boating Buddies (still don't like it)

1. A Pal for Gary (still don't like it)

• Like 1

Delayed reactions of the last few pages, but here we go:

-Finally saw Ink Lemonade, if you want to know more of my thoughts on that experience, check out the thread for it.  So yeah.

-I think as the years go by, I don’t hate The Clash of Triton for what it ended up becoming, but more for how much of a missed opportunity it was.  Does it suck?  Yeah, but I can think of like two specials that are so much worse off the top of my head (and you all should know by now what one of them was).

-Speaking of which, the other majorly hated special on this countdown, SpongeBob You’re Fired.  This one I have conflicted emotions about.  On one hand, the first time I ever watched this was right after I got laid off myself (for the third time in my professional career).  So I actually related a lot hardcore with SpongeBob’s semi-emotional turmoil he went through and no joke, I picked up odd jobs during my unemployment time frames too.  So if any episode kind of spoke with me during such a time, it was that one.

On the other hand, I get the hate.  It’s warranted.  Practically nothing of note happens and of course everything goes back to normal at the end because let’s not break the status quo, right?  It’s one of the laziest episodes, not just specials, episodes in existence and can be condensed in even less than an eleven minute run time, hell half of that probably.

So yeah, don’t hate this one just because it got me to relate, but I guess you can consider me indifferent on it.

-Wow Smoothe Jazz’s disliking has surged heavily in recent years.  I can sort of see it with how often Squidward loses in that one episode and how detestable Patrick is.  But I just feel it’s another mediocre Season 8 episode because I do feel SpongeBob is at least sort of trying to be his normal self instead of outright annoying.  Granted I haven’t seen it in like five years so I could be forgetting some elements of this.

-Squid Baby sucks.  If you want to talk about episodes where Squidward torture is at its worst, this is definitely one of the key examples for me.

-I’m done with A Pal For Gary.  It’s still a bad episode for having some of the worst five minutes of SpongeBob history, but I seriously don’t mind like half of the episode.  It’s done making my worst list though.

-One Coarse Meal on the other hand is still fucking terrible.  I don’t like a single minute of this episode and while I get why some of you might be done hating this, I won’t ever be.  Plankton preparing himself to commit suicide due to psychological trauma for laughs is hands down my least favorite scene of this entire series.  Hell I’m more understanding of Patrick torturing Squidward for ink more than I’ll ever be of Krabs consistently tormenting Plankton.

-Stuck in the Wringer is a worthy new number one.  Congratulations!  Hope it seriously repeats itself to prove that Jjs showing his face for a new number one wasn’t a fluke. :Laugh:

As for the dishonorable mentions:

-I don’t think I’ll ever get the hate for SpongeHenge.  It’s such a weird episode, not necessarily a bad one, just a weird one.

-The Googly Artiste is an episode I saw online the other day.  What an under the radar contender for my next worst list.  It’s pretty damn bad.

-Rule of Dumb really is that bad.  Not because of how unlikeable Patrick is in it, but it’s supremely lazy writing.  Like I can copy and paste so many lines in this episode that have been used from other sources of media.  For example, with how often they mention “with great power comes great responsiblity”, god how often have I head that line done around that time period.

• Happy 1

It appears that Ink's army just wouldn't be powerful enough to overthrow the King and Queen. It surrenders.

Just a quick random question, did any pre-movie episodes even come close to making it? At all? Not that it matters personally as zero made my list.

Edited by More
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, More said:

It appears that Ink's army just wouldn't be powerful enough to overthrow the King and Queen. It surrenders.

As for Stuck in the Wringer landing #1: This used to be an episode that always nabbed a high ranking on my lists. I think at the time it aired I found it as infuriating as Kitchen or Triton to be one of the show's worst offerings and I comfortably agreed with the hatred. But I recently watched it again and, even if it's faint praise, it's one of Season 7's better episodes. You might think that Patrick acted completely out-of-hand but it shows a complete arc of him doing a wrong, helping SpongeBob to feel better the way he knows how, and realizing that his methods were selfish and ineffective in practice.

Compared to "Yours Mine and Mine" where it makes the friendship seem completely unbalanced, here it shows that Patrick's genuinely trying to be a good friend. It's a breath of fresh air that he actually realizes SpongeBob's outburst was justified and makes a legitimate apology. That's unseen for modern SpongeBob. The scene townsfolk may have appeared rude, but it's less because of malice, and more that they missed crucial details of the argument and interpreted SpongeBob's cry for help as unwarranted anger. When I think of it, the situation is realistic and it's set up well.

Then there's the ending scene. Yes, the line "I guess crying does solve your problems after all" was a stupid joke, but I can look past it as it was at least foreshadowed by Patrick's earlier line in Weenie Hut Jr's. But what this hides is a genuinely good lesson I think kids would learn a lot from. If SpongeBob and Patrick continued to stay away from each other out of rage, the conflict would never have been solved and both would continue to spiral into insanity. When both let out their tears, it both solved the physical problem of the wringer and the emotional distance it's caused. Again, next to "Mine" where it was one-sided towards SpongeBob being in the right the whole time, "Wringer" effectively shows a morally gray situation where each characters show individual flaws that can only be made up if they work together.

Sorry but I just don't feel sympathy for Patrick. He completely ignores SpongeBob for 99% of the episode and just does what he wants to do with no regard for his friend. Sorry but when you glue someone (For no reason) in a way that can ruin there life, and let them get hurt repeatedly, you gotta do something a little more than an I'm sorry routine. There are some things where an apology isn't good enough. Patrick has no repercussions for his actions and the one time he's called out SpongeBob is treated like a monster for doing so, yeah SpongeBob was harsh, but his harshness was justified since Patrick was being a d-bag who potentially ruined his life, his job, and his hobbies forever. The scene shouldn't of been included because it completely lets Patrick dodge any responsibility he had to own up to. His apology is so forced after how dang inconsiderate and moronic he was through the whole thing. I don't think the moral works since it's played as a stupid joke and that there's a much more elegant way to word that, yes grieving can help people coupe with trauma but the reasons SpongeBob cries in this series are so stupid that you really associate crying this character for a serious moral.

Wringer is traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jjsthekid said:

None whatsoever. 

Clearly people felt sympathy for Pranks a Lot and didn't list it as winning by too much would look bad, but went too far in not listing it at all thus leading to it not being an honorable mention. Sad!

• Sad 1