• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

The Nitwitting: No comment.

Summer Job: Bottom 50 maybe? I don't know, but it's not good. My biggest problem with this one is how obnoxious it is, both for it being obnoxiously boring and for it being obnoxious in that Spongebob's characterization is utterly awful here. I can't think of any reason this episode needs to exist outside of being another "ha ha Mrs Puff's in trouble with the law" episode, and while that doesn't come as much into play until the end, it's still yet another dumb Mrs. Puff plot that has no meaning otherwise. 4/10

I have no hard feelings towards The Nitwtting. This episode is bad, but for me personally it does absolutely nothing outstandingly bad to stand out in any way. It's almost seems like Kaz intentionally wanted to make "so bad, it's good" episode, but kinda failed, because it's just "so bad, it's bad". I know what to expect from majority of Patrick's episodes by this point and this one doesn't make anything to surprise me. It met my perfectly low expectations. I probably can get why some people hate this episode with passion, but I myself personally was just bored by it and if it wasn't for others, I'd forgot about this ep rather fast.

The Summer Job is truly garbage episode. Like my god. Boating School episodes in that period sucked in general, but this one stands out as something truly frustrating on entirely new level. Potentially interesting concept with swapping the roles between SpongeBob and Mrs.Puff gets ruined by unfunny and obnoxious execution that only becomes more and more annoying to watch as episode goes along. SpongeBob himself is extremely unlikable character here, almost "Choir Boys" tier of terrible characterization. Only sympathetic or somewhat competently written character is Mrs.Puff and this is really sad. And of course there's also dear air atmosphere and lackluster animation which only makes things worse. Oh and yeah, forgot to mention, since it's kind of nitpick, but

i can't stand music in this episode

with slow pacing and grating gags it's somehow only adds to overall annoyance

this track in particular

it doesn't sound too bad with new fast-paced episode, but good lord, it sounded terrible in post-movie

• Like 1

Glad to see my recent viewing experience was added in last minute as commentary.  Will make sure The Nitwitting goes higher up this list next time we do this.

• Happy 2
  • Thanks 2

Never seen The Nitwitting. From what I've heard, that's probably a good thing.

Summer Job is basically a DD beta to me. Yeah, it's bad, and definitely irritating, but at least there aren't any death threats! Eh?

Been a while since neither ep appeared on my list.

Summer Job is an episode I used to have it on my list but it was pushed aside. I don't have a huge hatred over it but my god SpongeBob was unlikeable as hell and Mrs. Puff didn't deserve this stalkerish treatment at all. Truly a shit episode.

FUCK NITWITTING.

I honestly hate it the more I think about this god awful episode. Intentionally writing an entire episode based on braindead character jokes is sickening and insulting and it legit questions me whether this episode was making fun of mental disorder or not. Either way, this episode crossed the line for me. I'm SICK AND TIRED OF Patrick's only goddamn story has to be him being an idiot. What happened to three dimensional Patrick with insecurities and kindness all over him? This is the prime example of why Patrick has lost his charm over the years. All we have is someone who is so braindead he creates a chaos in a town casually and someone else has to pick up his pieces with his just as equal dumb clan. I hated how they keep pushing Patrick as someone who is a painfully deep talker, makes disgusting actions with others, has to be kept in check and his influence affects other poor creatures. Who really wants to lose their mind to be mindless zombies for a goddamn club? Do you wanna spit in a jar and let someone drink all of it? That's just sick. SpongeBob taking time to become a buffoon after he left his brain makes no sense and seeing him in this miserable state is painful to sit through. Patrick, Ice Cream King and his followers destroying Bikini Bottom is pathetic and annoying. Sandy coming out of nowhere to clean up Patrick's carnage is lazy. Yet none of it matters because Patrick and his clan will always ruin other people's day. Look, I can handle an episode based on stupidity if they have a unique story to tell (see Futurama episode "The Day Earth Stood Stupid") or handle dumb comic reliefs if they actually have clever jokes based on their stupidity (Literally Patrick in pre-movie). But don't write an entire episode about characters acting nothing like destructive, disgusting and terrifying bird brains. I seriously don't wanna deal with any of Patrick's shenanigans for a long time. Either write the character well or use him on the smallest dozes imaginable because it's really tough to make a dumb character funny these days.

EDIT: i put Nitwitting on #8 my worst list good riddance.

• Like 2

Spoiler

ranting about Nitwitting on the worst list is be like 

IRPDs03.jpg 

Cephalopod Lodge can thank sock puppet gag from not making my Bottom 50.

Shuffleboarding is easily made my list,I’m absolutely despise both Spongebob and Patrick in episode and how every single joke is rely on them is banning every single person for no/the stupidest reasons,at least Man Ray is cool here???

Waiting is bad but at least it’s short enough to get the pass...that is something that I cannot say about House Sittin for Sandy though...

I don’t really care for Atlantis,the songs are messy and there’s a compete lack of substance,Witch is a crime for the whole TV movie,begin said I still like some creativity put into special,like the look of actual Atlantis or habits of every characters’ songs.Still,it’s pretty fair to see it here once again and I’m legit cannot blame anyone for hating this special this much.

Zport?>Sportz?

To Love a Patty was in my Bottom 25 once,but after rewatching it I realized that at least episode has an okayish beginning,still,second half is complete atrocious and nearly impossible to sit in one loop.

Demolition Doofus is almost made my Bottom 25,it’s easily one of the worst appearances of Spongebob of all time and all of attempts to bring slapstick in episode were pathetic.

I completely forget about Summer Job So didn’t put it into Bottom 25 not 50 rip

Spoiler

50)-

49)-

48)-

47)-

46)You Don’t Know Sponge(#45)

45)-

44)-

43)-

42)Sportz?(#33)

41)-

40)-

39)To Love A Patty(#32)

38)-

37)-

36)-

35)-

34)-

33)-

32)-

31)-

30)-

29)-

28)Pineapple Fever(#49)

27)Demolition Doofus(#31)

26)-

————————————————————

25)Squidwards’ School for Grown Ups(#47) 

24)-

23)-

22)-

21)House Sittin for Sandy(#35)

20)The Nitwitting(#30)

19)Shuffleboarding(#37)

18)-

17)-

16)The Card(#41)

15)-

14)-

13)-

12)-

11)-

10)-

9)-

8)-

7)-

6)-

5)-

4)Face Freeze(#40)

3)-

2)-

1)-

Edited by jjsthekid

WHAT????!! o.o How can "The Nitwitting" honestly be considered to be BAD enough for the Top 50 worst list, let alone the bottom 30?! Sure, the episode segment itself is no masterpiece, but there are easily at LEAST a couple dozen WORSE episodes I was able to find then THIS! :hysterical: Peter Browngardt is WAY too over-hated as a voice actor in my honest opinion, and same goes for his character! :rolleyes: "Summer Job" is just boring and forgettable at best! Enough said, true believers! :cool:

• Wow 1
  • God Himself 3

34 - I'm not against the sentiment that Atlantis wasn't a little disappointing. The ending was flabby and I hate the Patchy parts, but overall, I find the episode simply okay. I'll happily watch it when it's on.

33 - Sportz? is a stupid episode, one I'd consider pretty bad. That said, I don't have any real hatred for it, so it didn't make my list.

32 - To Love a Patty was pretty high on my bottom 25. A completely fucking nauseating episode with next to no redeeming qualities.

31 - Demolition Doofus is one of those episodes where I don't fully understand the hatred for. It's not a good episode at all, and it is a little fucked up that Puff so badly wants to kill the poor Sponge, but at the end of the day, it's merely a subpar s8 episode like many others.

30 - The Nitwitting is just okay, I don't know. The shit other people find irritating, I find mildly amusing, but maybe that's my fault. Some of the episode is annoying, but overall, I can tolerate it just fine.

29 - Summer Job stinks in the exact same way so many other "SpongeBob being annoying" episodes stink. Not really worth discussing.

28 - Sponge-Cano made leaps and bounds on this list, and I hope it jumps even higher next year. Why is Trenchbillies the one people hate of the Legends episodes, seriously? Give that award to Sponge-Cano. It deserves it a lot more.

27 - I feel the same about WhoBob that I feel about Atlantis. At worst, it's a pretty disappointing special. Granted, it's a little worse than Atlantis cuz some of the plot elements are more contrived, but I still can't bring myself to hate it.

Sponge-cano is just as bad as the rest of "Legends" episodes, but I think this one doesn't deserve to be that low on the list, personally. Other "Legends" episodes are waaaaay worse. Nothing much to say, since I agree with commentaries.

Whatever happened to Spongebob is such big disappointment. Episode had potential with it's story, but it in result it became aimless and unfocused and also really mean-spirited.

and also can i say that i DESPISE squidward in this episode

Usually even when he behaves like an ass he has enough charisma to stay likeable, while here he is just so unlikable I legit wanted to hit him in the face. Other characters don't fare much better, but Squidward was the worst offender.

And yeah, fun-fact. This episode was actually based on tie-in book "For the Love of Bubbles", which, while wasn't outstanding, lacked many elements that made this special so terrible in the first place, lacking mean-spirited tone, terrible characterization and lack of focus. Book and episode have the same writer (Steven Banks), so it begs the question.

How they made said adaptation so much worse compared to source material, even with original writer? This is just mind-boggling to me.

The Nitwitting: Honestly in hindsight this episode should of been my list. It's just "haha dumb people" without actually making it funny, and besides great animation, it doesn't really have anything else except a poorly structured plot. I know I said I'm apathetic to it, but I'm apathetic to all eps I don't like except like my bottom 5. This episode deserves bottom 25 for basically being just the bad kind of stupid humor and a messy plot. However, my list unfortunately did not have this in. It was simply in bottom 50.

Summer Job: This one made my list. Bad episode where Mrs Puff just goes through so much bad stuff without it being funny at all. Honestly don't really know what else to say about it.

Sponge-Cano: wait what

what

what

what

WHAT

It's not like I care that Sponge-Cano made the list. I don't hate it or even dislike it or consider it bottom 50, but I don't care about it really. But I'm..... shocked. Considering it dropped off last year and it didn't seen to have a hate increase, I assumed it had no chance of making it. And yet it made #28....... wow

Whobob Whatpants: wtf guys WhoBob is a cool member, why do you guys hate him???????? :sad:

ok seriously though, I had this ep on bottom 50 and I honestly don't know why. This is probably a pretty good episode lol. But on the bottom 50 I'm using for this, it was there in the 40s.

also I TOLD YOU IT WOULD MAKE IT JJS

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. WhoBob WhatPants (#27)

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. The Nitwitting (#30)

37. House Sittin for Sandy (#35)

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. :thinkegg:

30. :thinkegg:

29. Sportz? (#33)

28. :lennythink:

27. :thinkegg:

26. :thinkegg:

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. :thinkegg:

23. :thinkegg:

22. :thinkegg:

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. Summer Job (#29)

18. :thinkegg:

17. To Love a Patty (#32)

16. :thinkegg:

15. :thinkegg:

14. :thinkegg:

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. :thinkegg:

10. :thinkegg:

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. :thinkegg:

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. :thinkegg:

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

6/25 14/50

Alright, I got alot to catch up on.

The Googly Artiste: I find this one merely okay. There's nothing really that special about it to me.
You Don't Know Sponge: Yeah.... this one made it onto my list. Nothing of substance happens for a good majority of it, and it's really annoying.
The Play's the Thing: I actually kinda like this one. It's MILES away from Culture Shock, but I was still invested, and I especially enjoy the buildup while Squidward is reading his letter and then he's just...... apparently not going to do it.
Pet Sitter Pat: I don't find this one heinously bad, mostly due to the scenes with SpongeBob and his grandma, but yeah I can see why people majorly dislike this one. I could forgive it if Patrick's antics were funny in a way, but it was just really sluggish.
A Day Without Tears: Another one I don't necessarily HATE, but couldn't find much enjoyment out of.
The Card: See Pet Sitter Pat. Kind of ironic honestly since both of them are Mr Enter's least favorite Patrick episodes.
Face Freeze: I can appreciate the crew's talent making funny faces, and I actually kind of like the concept, but I would be lying if I said the lack of anything worthwhile happening didn't bother me that much.
Cephalopod Lodge: This is the only episode classified as a "Squidward Torture" (by the really annoying side of this community) that I actually think deserves most of the hate. This is the only episode where I feel legitimately bad for Squidward.
All That Glitters: Yeah.... this is a major fluke out of the many gems of Season 4. I hate it pretty much for the same reasons as everyone else.
Shuffleboarding: Another underrated one imo. Wasn't a fan of the beginning that much but I quite like the climax with SB, Pat and Man Ray because of how corny it is.
Waiting: This is another one I think deserves most of the hate. It's only seven minutes, but you REALLY waste that time when watching this.
House Sittin for Sandy: I don't find this one that awful, but it's sooooooo boring that I can't even describe it. I'm actually surprised it's not as forgotten about as some other episodes from Season 8, although it IS usually ignored.
Atlantis SquarePantis: Yes, most of the songs are awfully cheesy but not in a charming way. Yes, it's pretty uneventful especially for a TV movie. But, hot take: I actually kinda like the Patchy segments in this one.
Sportz?: I find Squidward to especially be a problem in this episode, but I actually think the second half is alright.
To Love a Patty: I actually find this one fine. It's a bit creepy, yes, but there are definitely moments in here I like. And I actually think the song is okay.
Demolition Doofus: Mrs. Puff is very unnecessarily cruel here, but I actually like the demolition derby scenes. There's alot of cool visual gags and slapstick there.
The Nitwitting: I'm a sucker for dumb humor and dialogue, so it's not surprising I consider this one FAR from awful. That being said, like Face Freeze, it could've used more substance.
Sponge-Cano: Not much humor, but I like the character design of the dolphin dude and the foreshadowing of Squidward being awfully miserable.
Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?: THERE I AM GARY
On another note, this is easily in my bottom 10, specifically Number 5 as OWM provided.

Yeah.... I'm more forgiving towards this show than alot of other people lol

Let's face the facts, "Sponge-cano" actually HAD a good plot idea, dealing with a volcano, it's just the way that plot idea was executed was terrible! :rolleyes: Anytime you make Squidward's misery be a center plot point of an episode, where he did NOTHING to deserve said misery, the plot idea is going to end in DISASTER! :hysterical: At least the Dolphin Warrior was an interestingly designed character, and has potential to have his character expanded upon, should he ever return. "Whatever Happened to Spongebob", actually HAD a lot of good plot ideas that could've worked and SHOULD'VE worked, and probably would have worked, had they been given the necessary time to actually develop those ideas cohesively WITHIN the episode itself! o.o In my mind, "Whatever Happened to Spongebob" is the episode segment that WOULD'VE worked better as a 45 minute special, instead of "Atlantis Squarepantis"! Neither episode segment was weak enough to make my personal worst list though, in my personal opinion. Enough said, true believers! :cool:

I find Sponge-Cano to be bad but not as bad as others. Admittedly I did like dolphin and the song but yea, that's about it. Squidward was so terribly written in this one and the whole twist at the end was such an asspull.

Lol whatever happens to spongebob is a waste of a potential. Amnesia plots can be lame but this episode could have been something interesting but it had too many conflicts that happened very quickly that ruined the flow and the entire cast being mean-spirited towards SpongeBob was a pathetic and forced plot point. Squidward here is at one of his worst and he is one of the main reasons why this episode is on my list.

To Love a Patty: An episode I don’t hate too much in its first five minutes or so, I think Oh Baby was always a great song, but everything else after that makes the episode take a huge nosedive. Already a weird plot line as it is. It sucks but not too much for me.

Demolition Doofus: I used to love this episode actually. Thought it was a fun and entertaining concept, even though Mrs. Puff was fuckin awful in here. I think those thoughts of loving the episode might change in future rewatches. I don’t know 

The Nitwitting: You know, there’s a song that describes this episode for me called “Who Wants Cake?” By Venetian Snares. I’d post the link here, but I’d be considered an edgelord.

but yeah this episode sucks ass but I expected it to be bad before it even came out. Makes me feel like I lost a lot of my IQ though 

Summer Job: Ah, yes. The episode I find worse than it’s partner ep, A Day Without Tears. Another annoying ep with a very pissed off puff mama

Sponge-Cano: Finally, one of my picks. The worst Legends episode for me (cue “I like Main Drain” jokes),  I hate everyone in here except for SpongeBob. Squidward pisses me right the fuck off. I hate the dolphin guy and bottomites too, but Squidward just fuckin makes it so irritating, and the ending is even worse when you think that maybe he meant what he said, but nope, you got to make Squidward as much as a jerk as possible in late Post-Movie!

WhoBob WhatPants: This special is whatever. Always found it alright but yeah I can see the hatred for this episode. Squidward being bad in here again, and then the story and plot I just don’t care for much, and the beginning where everyone is a burden with SpongeBob’s antics out of nowhere is bad. 

17. Sponge-Cano (#28)

15. Squidward's School For Grown-Ups (#47)

6. Sportz? (#33)

5. The Googly Artiste (#46)

26. "You look fine to me. Now stop being such a baby and make me some money."

180404574_26.TheCentofMoney.jpg.b4c4cbe9376466e63940805f432b8995.jpg

The Cent of Money, 165 points

13 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank 2 #4's @Loopers @MarcoGagFanatic) (+12)

Ben: Oh boy this episode. This is like if you take the worst elements of every Gary and Mr Krabs post movie episode combined and it becomes a disaster. A disaster where Mr Krabs is punished at the end but still a disaster. This episode has basically to me no actual jokes. To me this is a worse Pal for Gary simply for all the needless mistreatment of Gary throughout. I swear this show has a fetish for Gary not having any kind of good day. There’s the side plot of spongebob being told to do stuff around the krusty Krab as a distraction which is also generally unfunny and overall it combines into a huge mess that landed on #4 on my worst list.

25. "Ah... replica, sweet replica."

349107471_25.SquidsVisit.jpg.cb23633773f

Squid's Visit, 168 points

11 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #1 @OWM) (-7)

OWM: So why is this my least favorite episode of all time? AYHN is bleak and depressing, Wringer and KBBB are near-unwatchable with their obnoxious and poorly written characters, and Ink Lemonade fires on all cylinders by being one of the meanest and ugliest episodes ever. But what does Squid's Visit have compared to these four? All of them. Every single component of what I dislike in an episode can be found in these 11 minutes. Bad characterization. Aimless stretches of filler that take up more screen time than the most important parts. A long-winded plot that overall accomplishes nothing. And a gloomy, depressing mood to the episode that conjures up feelings of bitterness and anger instead of fun, happy undersea days. 
The characters. I think this episode has to be the first to not star SpongeBob at all. Who it DOES star is an lifeless, soulless chess piece of a character guided by bad writing instead of an established character we've known for a decade. He wasn't a crazed, obsessed stalker who manipulated people to get what he wanted. He was a well-meaning neighbor who wanted to help his friends. But here, it's all completely thrown out. He wants Squidward to visit his house for absolutely no reason and takes a meaningless suggestion from Patrick as justification to literally steal his property and leave a passive-aggressive note behind. He even practically laughs at Squidward once he calls knowing that the blue tool has no choice but to play right into his plan. 
The filler. Nearly half of the episode could be cut down to about four minutes and the plot would still come across. The first two minutes are dedicated to SpongeBob crying and repeating himself. There's a "rash cream" scene dedicated to watching Squidward slip and fall into a toilet for waaay too long. And of course the "visit" continuously makes the same point over and over again.
The plot. After the entire first half of the episode being complete waste the "visit" mentioned above seems to entirely devote itself to Squidward awkwardly walk around the pineapple and getting surprised at the dead-on replica he's walked into. All the things he notices are oddly specific details, which I guess is the point but also reminds you both how horribly convoluted this is and how much of a bastardization this is to SpongeBob's character. The rash cream scene is actually the highlight of this half. And throughout all of this we can slowly see Squidward's mind just unravel. He's clearly disturbed and traumatized by this and even cries at one point while SpongeBob just kind of watches knowingly and without empathy. 
The ending. After Squidward finally finds the damn vacuum after almost 10 minutes it's revealed his house burned down, which SpongeBob also politely forgot to mention. He then smiles and says that "he's free to stay at MY house." Although this is likely a pretty innocent line all I take from it is that this yellow fucker KNEW this house was being razed and willingly decided not to tell in order to prolong the "visit" proving once and again that this is the most un-SpongeBob-like episode ever.
So uh yeah me no like this episode. Despite some episodes having moments even more unwatchable than what I described, I've never seen one quite like this one that manages to combine it all and showcase it in one. And that's why Squid's Visit takes the #1 spot above any other episode I've seen. It just affects me like no other episode can or has so far.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1