• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

Cent of Money is such crappy episode. If previous seasons made Mr.Krabs my least favorite in the main cast but still somewhat likable, this was the ep that cemented my strong hatred for him for years. This episode is just unfunny and really uncomfortable to watch and even ending doesn't save the day for me. It didn't quite made my list unfortunately, but I am glad that his ep appeared on this list.

you can kill me if you want, but i can't hate Squid's visit. out of all season 6 episodes, this is one of those that's just... fascinate me. It's bad, don't get me wrong, but somehow I am entertained by it. It's so bizarre and creepy that it's somehow works for me? Objectively it's garbage, no doubt, but I think it's the same case as Demolition Doofus for me. Ep objectively is terrible, but it's really... interesting. 

Lol, I actually agree with every criticism of The Cent of Money. It is a horrendous episode that deserves to be on the list but I'll be damned If the ending isn't one of the best karma endings ever. Mr. Krabs' body being broken and losing all that money is so SO SO MUCH SATISFYING TO WATCH. As much as Mr. Krabs is a crap here, I just love the way SpongeBob confronts Mr. Krabs. Seeing him mad is so amazing, even if it took him a while to release he was abusing Gary. So yeah, i would love to have this shit on my list, hell it's even worse than A Pal for Gary/Pet Sitter Pat but I love the ending so much.

Fuck Squid's Visit. A shitty character assassination of SpongeBob that makes him a complete psychopath, instead of an actual decent person he normally is. Thank god s8-recent fixed his characterization that we don't have to sit through another episode like this. I love disturbing episodes to death and I admit I do love the moment Squidward snapped but the entire thing was badly structured, it was painfully annoying and Squidward got the hell of his life. Even the ending stinks because Gary is outside and sad because of his owner's actions and SpongeBob doesn't even feel a damn bad thing. I can't stand this stupid attempt to inject thriller into this episode with some of the worst SpongeBob characterization ever.

Both episodes were awful close to my bottom 25 but didn't quite make it. Squid's Visit is unique because it is very much a "So beyond fucked up that I can't really hate it" deal. When I watch the episode, I don't get angry or anything, I just end up shocked. It's one of the most disturbing episodes of the show, and I can see why people got it into the bottom 25.

The Cent of Money: Basically every "Gary gets taken advantage of" and "Mr. Krabs stirs up a gimmick/plan for more money" episode cranked up to 11. Terrible episode.

Squid's Visit: I don't think this one's that awful, but there's way too many noticeable problems for it to even be okay.

The Cent of Money: lol idk

Squid's Visit: Honestly, this episode does the creepy atmosphere very well, and it makes the episode pretty entertaining, so I don't find it bad. Honestly, it's dragged down to meh because of the stupid ending of Squidward's house burning down and Spongebob's poor characterization in this episode. Due to my bottom 50 changes, Squid's Visit is placed different on here than on my actual bottom 50, where it placed lower but not still bottom 25.

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. WhoBob WhatPants (#27)

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. The Nitwitting (#30)

37. House Sittin for Sandy (#35)

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. Squid's Visit (#25)

30. :thinkegg:

29. Sportz? (#33)

28. :lennythink:

27. :thinkegg:

26. :thinkegg:

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. :thinkegg:

23. :thinkegg:

22. :thinkegg:

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. Summer Job (#29)

18. :thinkegg:

17. To Love a Patty (#32)

16. :thinkegg:

15. :thinkegg:

14. :thinkegg:

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. :thinkegg:

10. :thinkegg:

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. :thinkegg:

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. :thinkegg:

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

6/25 14/50

"The Cent of Money" definitely made my personal list, though probably not as high as it has been in past years. What everyone else has pointed out what is wrong with that episode segment, I agree with. It represents the absolute WORST in Mr. Krabs' money-grubbing greediness, and Gary getting poorly mistreated for no good reason. The only thing preventing me from ranking it any lower, is the fact that Mr. Krabs gets some comeuppance at the end of the episode. I don't know what it is, but I can't bring myself to hate "Squid's Visit". Continuity wise, the episode makes no sense. But on its own, its a fairly entertaining episode that at the very least, isn't written terribly OUT of character like "The Cent of Money" is in my personal opinion! :hysterical: /

25. ? 24. ? 23. "The Cent of Money" (#26) 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. ? 17. ? 16. ? 15. ? 14. ? 13. ? 12. ? 11. ? 10. ? 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. ? 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers! :cool:

The Cent of Money: Yeah this episode sucks ass, takes Krab’s greed to disturbing and annoying new heights. Poor Gary. :(

i still think how spongebob slides away when he says “I’m sure he is, goodbyeeee” is one of the funniest things ever and the only highlight of the episode 

Squid’s Visit: what’s with post movie making episodes I’d normally hate to death so entertaining and fun to watch I hate that this era does that to me quite a bit

24. "Is that what you consider clean and disease-free, Krabby?"

1509203939_24.FungusAmongUs.jpg.e276ce6c3eda329bc2dc71ba7d5fe5fb.jpg

Fungus Among Us, 178 points

14 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #1 @Clappy(-8)

WhoBob: Fungus Among Us is one of those episodes that totally alerted that SpongeBob has gone downhill. Yea, season 4 has episodes people literally dislike but I always found s4 to be mostly good and s5 did actually start off nicely but this episode was the first sign of everything going for the worse. This episode's usage of gross out just doesn't fit in a show where the comedy comes mostly from the dialogue and natural slapstick. I hate the fungus speading SpongeBob and other characters and I get that's the premise but I just can't stand it. The latter half doesn't get much better with Squidward tossing the fungus on the food and everyone eating it. Especially SpongeBob becoming so giant and hideous inside a bubble. Not only that is disgusting, It makes me feel awful for SpongeBob and the costumers attacking him was so cruel and idiotic and the resolution being Gary eating the fungus was so stupid. This is an episode that I still think it's horrible and a great example of why SpongeBob is not a good fit for gross out humor.

23. "Next time, leave the rodeos to me."

18925148_23.RodeoDaze.jpg.06c7e70080569ede311ea3145f8ec94b.jpg

Rodeo Daze, 178 points

15 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #2 @BeachBob95) (-3)

jjs: The more the years go by, the more this dreadful episode keeps climbing up my list, making it to my #4 this year. I cannot stress how much I truly loathe this episode. I get why some don’t care about this one as much or forget it exists, which to be fair, I don't blame you for either. For me, at is core, Rodeo Daze is a sad, frustrating and very disappointing, episode. When this episode's plot first got revealed, the premise of SpongeBob going to Texas to save Sandy honestly was a legit interesting idea, more than anything else in S7 at that time. This is one of the only S7 episodes that actually had potential with its premise. We were finally getting to see the gang go to Sandy's homeland, a key focal point of her character. Wow, that's actually creative and cool! The stars were aligning for something actually possibly decent at this point in S7. Unfortunately, all of those expectations were shattered apart with an episode that meanders around with stupidity rather than any sentiment or brain, and completely wastes any sort of potential it had going for it. Even when I ignore the hype I had, looking at it as a finished product, this episode just sucks the whole way through. Nothing about this one works for me. The first sign this episode was doomed is when it decided to start with...a pointless staring contest between SpongeBob and Patrick. Wow! I’m happy we wasted a good first minute of the episode on this. I'll be real, I think this is one of the worst parts of the episode as it contributes to all of the pacing problems plaguing it. It’s obnoxious, boring and pads the episode when they could've used that time on literally anything else. Though that staring contest is very symbolic, because the episode itself past that is also obnoxious, boring and padding. So congrats if it was intentional. The pacing is terrible in this episode, and it contributes to why the ending is so rushed and stupid.

Literally 90% of the episode is buildup to something we barely get to see: the Texas rodeo itself. I don't understand how you have an episode about the gang going to Texas...only to have the actual "going to Texas part" be in the last two minutes. And the last minute is the actual hyped up rodeo, which is over in the blink of an eye. This is up there for one of my personal worst SpongeBob endings. Outside of pacing, I didn't even find any jokes in this episode funny either, to be quite honest. Most of it is wasted on slow, padded out jokes, or mean-spirited "jokes" about people not caring about Sandy (which wore out its welcome fast). This is a relatively minor gripe compared to every other issue the episode has, but I'll admit I'm really not a fan of Sandy's song either. I get what they were going for, but for the whole thing just came off cringe and uggh. Even the aesthetic visuals for the on land portion felt really bad compared to their other work. I guess they didn't care since it was only going to be used at the last two minutes, but I’m not a fan. Also, randomly mentioning that Sandy has a twin brother (which okay sure why not) to set up the "plot" only to not show him at the rodeo was very strange. This episode as a whole is a strange mess, it's like they had to rush to finish this one to meet a deadline. It really feels like this should've been a half-hour special so it could've fleshed everything out more. Seriously, I feel the gang going to Texas was more special worthy than most specials nowadays, but whatever.

Oh yeah, and now for the elephant in the room: the way the main cast don't even care if Sandy never returns is garbage too. It's a giant slap in the face to everything the episode Texas stood for. Haha, they don't care if Sandy returns! Where's the actual joke or the punchline? I know everyone hates Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy for her treatment there, but I'd argue Rodeo Daze honestly even has worse Sandy treatment than it, albeit a bit more subtle in how it's handled. In Kitchen, at least the people bugging Sandy were just random no name civilians, which you'd expect from the Bottomites at this point in the series. Ultimately, they're background fodder, so it's not like their stupidity matters that much when they're not the forefront. Here however...we have main cast members like Mr. Krabs, Squidward, Patrick and even Gary (seriously, what the hell dude?) who don't give care if Sandy never returns. It's annoying and not funny in the slightest, especially after everything the town did for her in Texas so that she would stay. But who cares about that heartwarming episode, let's throw all of that out the window and waste a great premise just to make half-baked, stupid, and cruel jokes. Even ignoring all of that, there's nothing else of substance in the episode, and for an episode about going to Texas, that's sad. This episode actually could’ve worked under the right circumstances, and knowing they wasted such a neat premise this badly makes me hate it all the more.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

Fungus Among Us is.... episode i don't care much about. There are way worse gross-out episodes in the series in that and frankly, it don't disgust me that much. My main issue that it just doesn't even try to tell any jokes? It takes itself way too seriously for it's own good.

Rodeo Daze is garbage and rightfully made the list, Jjs's reivew was pretty self-absorbed, so I don't have to add anything else.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't hate Rodeo Daze. Plankton blowing himself up was too funny for me to exclude it on my list but I agree that it was a waste of potential with what could have been a fun rodeo only to be ruined by cheap live action sequence and the town not giving a shit for Sandy which was too cruel and SpongeBob kidnapping everyone to take them to Texas was just wrong. So ye, the ep totally deserved to be on the list.

Fungus Among Us is another one of the most "overhated" episodes to me. I personally see it as a genuinely enjoyable, fun twist on body horror tropes, kinda similar to Whelk Attack. I hope it keeps falling down on this list.

Rodeo Daze, like Dear Vikings, is a ridiculously underwritten and stupid episode, but unlike Dear Vikings, it's not to the point where it wraps around and becomes enjoyable. It's just a limp and lazy episode - not worth hating, but certainly one that you could argue is "objectively" bad.

While I think FAU is a cool episode, it became clear that I'm the biggest hater of Rodeo Daze. Jjs' review nailed it. Aside from the part with Plankton, the episode is downright insulting to me and to the show itself. How can you make a premise like that So. Bad.

• Like 1

How in the WORLD could I possibly FORGET about the existence of "Fungus Among Us"?! o.o That episode segment is SO terrible, I would have EASILY ranked it at LEAST my #13 if I had remembered about it! :rolleyes: This is the point where SOME writers actually STARTED thinking that gross-out humor would be a GOOD fit for "Spongebob Squarepants", the way it was for "Ren and Stimpy". SPOILER alert, seven seasons and THIRTEEN years of trying later, it STILL isn't! And it never WILL be! "Rodeo Daze" actually HAD an interesting idea concept, they just took WAY too long in trying to actually get us TO the Rodeo, not enough time AT the Rodeo, and the Rodeo didn't even HAVE any good animation! If they wanted to do "Rodeo Daze" justice, they should've done the animation on dry land with TRADITIONAL animation, the way they did in "Feral Friends". Enough said, true believers! :cool:

Fungus Among Us: Not on my list, but is bottom 50. [slightly] Gross episode and the townspeople attacking Spongebob for being covered in fungus is bad. Kinda boring too.

Rodeo Daze: I used to love this episode, and in 2017, on sbm, I always defended it a lot. Nowadays ehhh..... I still don't dislike it at all but about half of the episode is kinda boring admittedly, and I don't care for the song. They also rushed the ending. However I will continue to defend the thing about the townspeople "not caring about Sandy", most of the characters don't seem to have been listening to Spongebob in the first place, and in Squidward's case, he didn't even like Sandy in Texas anyway (he was the only person who didn't look happy about Sandy staying in Bikini Bottom in the ending of that episode). And even if they were listening to Spongebob, they probably thought Spongebob was overreacting and Sandy was gonna be fine at the rodeo, which was correct.

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. WhoBob WhatPants (#27)

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg: