• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

To be honest, I don't really get the hate for "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful"! :rolleyes: I mean, it's certainly not the level of stupidity or outright grossness as some OTHER episodes out there! It's another one of those episodes that are just, "There", in my personal opinion. "Someone's In the Kitchen With Sandy" definitely made MY personal list! Plankton has his STUPIDEST plan for stealing the Krabby Patty yet, and it STILL works with Spongebob, because he's apparently THAT stupid in this episode, even though he's KNOWN Sandy for years, and should KNOW better! o.o And POOR Sandy, having to go through all THAT humiliation, manages to EXPOSE Plankton, and STILL gets taken to jail anyways, for having to run around Bikini Bottom in only her undergarments, even though Spongebob, Squidward, and Plankton have done MORE than that, and nobody even batted an EYE about that!

25. ? 24. ? 23. "The Cent of Money" (#26) 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. ? 17. ? 16. ? 15. "One Coarse Meal" (#15) 14. "Little Yellow Book" (#20) 13. "Someone's In the Kitchen With Sandy" (#11) 12. ? 11. ? 10. "The Splinter" (#18) 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. "Boating Buddies" (#17) 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers! :cool:

Trenchbillies: A very stupid episode only funny because of BenPaz’s iconic inside jokes 

Big Sister Sam: I remember when I first got the Season 7 DVD for Christmas in 2011, this was the episode I’d watch the most out of it.

Long story short I always loved it. Entertains me somehow. Damn you Post-Movie you got me again 

Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful: This ep is very irritating and dull. Always hated that ticket running gag. An episode that wastes my time, and is paired with another bad episode, and a possible contender for the worst pair of episodes of the series

Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy: Poor Sandy, being belittled and harassed for having no fur when she still has her damn bikini on. God the bottomites are such awful extras, and this episode just proves my point.

Perhaps the Post-Movie writers should’ve TRIED AGAIN on writing a great episode 

23. One Coarse Meal (#15)

21. Trench-Billies (#14)

17. Sponge-Cano (#28)

15. Squidward's School For Grown-Ups (#47)

12. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (#12, what are the odds?)

7. Little Yellow Book (#20)

6. Sportz? (#33)

5. The Googly Artiste (#46)

1. Slide Whistle Stooges (#16)

Ah, 2 of the four horsemen of overblown specials (one other being Atlantis and the other being... well, you'll see.)

The Clash of Triton is just meh. I don't see any huge deal in it or see it as worthy of hate beyond it just being rushed and mediocre. Whatever.

Truth or Square has a lot of things going for it that are awful, but at the end of the day, I kept it off my bottom 25 only because I certainly hate the context more than the content. I feel there's a difference there.

Man, those four #1's for ToS, ouch. It already hurts me enough to see it in the bottom 10, though. But at the very least, this didn't make bottom 5. I've already said my long piece defending Truth or Square on last year's countdown, so I would direct to that. While I've joked that I would be defending the special in the form of a video essay, keep in mind that if I had the audacity to do it now, I would still be writing out a long defense for the special. And that's just one of few reasons as to why it's not only one of my favorite episodes, but it's on my personal top 25.

I've read Slug's whole long piece on the special, and I'll have to admit that his commentary is very on-point. I still can't see ToS being objectively worse than something as immorally broken as my bottom 25's #1, but now I can understand why anyone would find it subjectively worse than any other SB episode.

Also, just a fair warning to all that have brought ToS to its newest high, Winter is coming. (And perhaps 4EG is also coming to probably lecture us all about how the ghost of Robin Williams is going to haunt those for judging ToS so poorly or something like that.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes! Fuck The Clash of Triton

Such a pathetic waste of a huge potential that could have been one of the best episodes ever. Triton is a shitty character that commits genocide havoc to Bikini Bottom, Neptune is one gigantic asshole that isn't even remotely funny like Neptune's Spatula and SpongeBob and Patrick get undeserving karma. This entire special is so boring and lame that I'm happy it's on bottom 10.

Hot take but I didn't mind Truth or Square as much as others. I knew what I was getting and I actually didn't mind it, in fact I liked it at first half but second half was definitely boring and tedious. Patchy segment is so horrible but I tend to see it as a different beast. This episode definitely deserves to be on the list and slug's commentary was solid but I still can't bring myself to hate it.

12. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, this is currently my least favorite episode of the show... yeah its fucking utter garbage and I'm happy to see it to make a such a huge increase, but lets talk about it
So while this episode actually feels focused and coherent unlike FarmerBob and Don't Feed the Clowns, its insufferable. One of Squidward's character traits is that he is egotistical, which is present in this episode, it is his motive, but I do not know if the episode is trying to make you feel bad for him or not, his suffering makes sense but just feels forced and annoying, plus is what most of this episode is. The cop and his tickets is ironically funny (beat that season 11!), but unironically its baaaaaaaad, its more if I should feel bad for Squid and the joke is just annoying, padding out the episode. -1/10.

So this episode feels more focused but insufferable, maybe it'll drop someday but for now its the worst episode.

11. Someone's in the Kitchen in Sandy, another horrible episode, its boring and goes nowhere, -1/10.

Edited by SI-LLY

Clash of Triton: This ep is just meh. Like the plot is bad, as is the characters in the royalty family, but it still feels kinda entertaining and has good atmosphere and good jokes so eh. I had this lower on my bottom 50 then it should have been.

Truth or Square: This episode is absymal and mde it very far into my list. It has so many horrendeus flaws, here’s a whole list of them:

This episode has almost nothing good too. All it has is amazing memories shown that are really cool and entertaining and a greay way to celebrate the anniversary, the amazing scene inside the whale that shows a cool old cartoon version of Spongebob and hilarious and really cool alternate theme songs and is the best scene of the whole show, many funny jokes, two amazing songs and another good one, and so on, and is truly an amazing special and an amazing way to celebrate the anniversary of the show and a very fun episode to watch.

Because of this, this episode made my list at #464.

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. WhoBob WhatPants (#27)

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. The Nitwitting (#30)

37. House Sittin for Sandy (#35)

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. Squid's Visit (#25)

30. :thinkegg:

29. Sportz? (#33)

28. :lennythink:

27.  Fungus Among Us (#24)

26. Clash of Triton (#10)

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. The Main Drain (#21)

23. :thinkegg:

22. Someone’s in the Kitchen with Sandy (#11)

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. Summer Job (#29)

18. :thinkegg:

17. To Love a Patty (#32)

16. The Splinter (#18)

15. One Coarse Meal (#15)

14. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (#12)

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. Trenchbillies (#14)

10. Big Sister Sam (#13)

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. Slide Whistle Stooges (#16)

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. Yours, Mine and Mine (#22)

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

14/25 26/50

• God Himself 2

And here I thought my post and Nugs post in previous years about why Truth or Square is fucking terrible were golden, but Jesus.  Slug’s post just nailed it on a whole other level.  Fucking great.  There is not a damn thing that’s redeemable about this “10 year anniversary” special.  Even the things I like about it like “the different animation styles”...they served no purpose whatsoever in this special.  They could have been added on to anything.  It’s that insignificant to the story.

If you love this special, great.  Not everyone has the same opinion. But this is the worst special to me because nothing of value was gained from it for me.  At least all the other specials told a story, even if they were weak ones and didn’t exactly have strong focus towards them.  Truth or Square didn’t have anything worthy of being told for over a hour.

While "Clash of Triton" made my personal list this year, it didn't make the list as high as it did in past years. I guess my hate for it has died done a little. That STILL doesn't make this episode any better. To be fair, the episode HAD a lot of ambition AND a lot of potential, it just didn't utilize it well. I mean, who's the antagonist? Neptune for wanting Triton to be like him? Or, Triton, for messing around with other people just to spite him? And Spongebob and Patrick get mixed up in the middle of all of this, only for their involvement to the plot to be irrelevant and practically meaningless! "A Shaggy Dog Story", made in the WORST way possible! :rolleyes: Thank goodness we haven't seen or heard a PEEP out of Triton since then! I will NEVER understand why there are so many people out there who HATE on "Truth or Square"! And here's my argument to END the hatred of it once and for all: Spongebob Marries Sandy, CANON!!!! Mic drop, BOOM!!!! :cool: Here's what my personal list looks like so far!

25. ? 24. ? 23. "The Cent of Money" (#26) 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. "The Clash of Triton" (#10) 17. ? 16. ? 15. "One Coarse Meal" (#15) 14. "Little Yellow Book" (#20) 13. "Someone's In the Kitchen With Sandy" (#11) 12. ? 11. ? 10. "The Splinter" (#18) 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. "Boating Buddies" (#17) 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers!

• God Himself 1

20 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

While "Clash of Triton" made my personal list this year, it didn't make the list as high as it did in past years. I guess my hate for it has died done a little. That STILL doesn't make this episode any better. To be fair, the episode HAD a lot of ambition AND a lot of potential, it just didn't utilize it well. I mean, who's the antagonist? Neptune for wanting Triton to be like him? Or, Triton, for messing around with other people just to spite him? And Spongebob and Patrick get mixed up in the middle of all of this, only for their involvement to the plot to be irrelevant and practically meaningless! "A Shaggy Dog Story", made in the WORST way possible! :rolleyes: Thank goodness we haven't seen or heard a PEEP out of Triton since then! I will NEVER understand why there are so many people out there who HATE on "Truth or Square"! And here's my argument to END the hatred of it once and for all: Spongebob Marries Sandy, CANON!!!! Mic drop, BOOM!!!! :cool: Here's what my personal list looks like so far!

Reveal hidden contents

25. ? 24. ? 23. "The Cent of Money" (#26) 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. "The Clash of Triton" (#10) 17. ? 16. ? 15. "One Coarse Meal" (#15) 14. "Little Yellow Book" (#20) 13. "Someone's In the Kitchen With Sandy" (#11) 12. ? 11. ? 10. "The Splinter" (#18) 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. "Boating Buddies" (#17) 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers!

Did we watch the same episode? That SpongeBob and Sandy wedding was a fake theater show.

Also Spandy ship sucks, so I'm happy with the scene.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, WhoBob said:

Did we watch the same episode? That SpongeBob and Sandy wedding was a fake theater show.

Also Spandy ship sucks, so I'm happy with the scene.

Wedding was fake but preist didn't knew that.

Clash of Triton: SXt3Nd.gif

Truth Or Square: Not sure what to feel about this one. On one hand, in the past I thought it was a little tolerable, but on the other I think I’ve grown to dislike it more. Very boring and unremarkable for a tenth anniversary special. It sucks too since everything outside of this episode for the tenth anniversary was awesome, such as the merchandise and maybe even the video game that came out (heard it was good but I never played it).

also making patchys stuff into a high budget star-studded extravaganza and not some silly low quality stuff kind of kills the charm of the patchy segments and makes them very boring. That different theme song scene was kind of funny though 

21. Trench-Billies (#14)

17. Sponge-Cano (#28)

12. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (#12)

6. Sportz? (#33)

4. The Clash of Triton (#10)

• God Himself 1

8. "Tonight's ruined. A complete disaster. And I didn't even meet Kelpy G."

19254121678SmootheJa.jpg

Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom, 416 points

29 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank 2 #3's @dmandamanAndKnuckles @Matt0417) (0)

Melon: Well, this episode made my bottom 10. As I sorta mentioned in my Cephalopod Lodge commentary, to me, something bad happening to a character isn’t automatically a goodreason to hate an episode, and I think many episodes get too much hate for it. However, there IS a point where this can be a reason to hate an episode. There needs to be enough good to make an episode involving a lot of bad things happening to a character. Whether it be good humor or a great plot or so on, if there is good, then it doesn’t matter what bad things happen to a character. Squidward goes through a lot of bad things in Club Spongebob for example, but that episode is hilarious, so who cares? Another factor that can effect this is the amount it’s justified. If a character did something awful, like murder innocent people, then anything that happens to them would be justified. This episode, however, is not an episode about bad things happening to a character that works. It’s just a frustrating, annoying, and unfunny episode, and this makes everything Squidward goes through annoying or frustrating to watch. 

The reason why its so frustrating and annoying, is because this episode isn’t funny nor has a great plot or anything else to justify what is happening. This means theres nothing to make the bad things happening to Squidward entertaining, and so this episode gets annoying because its just bad things happening to Squidward when he didn’t deserve it. First, I’ll start with going through the beginning of the episode. The episode doesn’t start too terribly, but isn’t all that entertaining anyway. However, it’s still ok. Squidward loses his tickets to the concert, which sucks, but isn’t enough to make this episode bad. Squidward has to go to the concert with Spongebob since Spongebob wins the tickets for him, but again, its ok, that doesn’t make the episode bad or anything. Spongebob harms Squidward’s ability to talk to the other people at the concert because the other squids don’t like Spongebob, but again, not too bad. This isn’t a problem unless it gets REALLY bad for Squidward without enough entertainment. Once it gets to the concert, however, so many bad things happen to Squidward that was never deserved and goes too far for the low amount of actual entertainment.

Squidward is there listening to the music, and Patrick shows up literally out of nowhere to go eat Squidward’s backstage pass, ruining Squidward’s chance of getting to meet a clarinet player he really likes. It’s ok though, Spongebob is willing to give Squidward his backstage pass...... and then Patrick eats that for no reason too. Just.... this appearance of Patrick is so awful. In this whole episode, Patrick just appears out of nowhere to go eat stuff for no reason. And then Patrick just goes up to the stadium and asks for some food with the microphone, interrupting the concert for something so stupid, which should annoy the crowd because they don’t seem like the kind of person who would be ok with the concert being interrupted for this stupidity, and also should result in the security kicking Patrick out for this, but instead the security and kelpy g don’t care and the crowd cheers Patrick for this for literally no reason and carry him to the end of the stadium....... what??? This doesn’t even make any sense why they would want to do this. There’s no reason why the crowd would like this and cheer this and why security would be ok with this, espicially when these squids in the crowd were shown earlier to be fairly similar to Squidward. And then of course Squidward and Spongebob can’t get back to Patrick because the secruity isn’t ok with them leaving even though Patrick just did just fine..... and then both of them go back to find out that their seats were taken by two random people and refuse to leave even though Spongebob and Squidward fairly got those seats. So, deservingly, Squidward gets mad at this person, and suddenly THIS bothers the crowd and stops the show. No, not Patrick stupidily ordering food on the stage, that’s great and deserves to be cheered, but Squidward getting mad at someone for justified reasons unacceptable and gets him kicked out instead of the people who stole their seats. All of this is just so annoying and not enjoyable to me at all.

After this, Squidward then breaks into the backstage without the passes because the door is opened by Patrick who was allowed to go backstage for whatever reason. Squidward is of course caught by someone, and to get the guy to not kick him out, Squidward plays his clarinet to show how “good” he is, and Spongebob plays his ukulele. Kelpy G shows up and ignores Squidward’s awful clarinet performance but likes Spongebob’s ukulele and allows Spongebob to play with him in the concert, whereas Squidward goes up to the stage only to have be kicked out and have his clarinet taken away. While this stuff is justified since Squidward snuck in without permission and was playing awfully, him being ignored while Spongebob gets to play with Kelpy G feels so frustrating after all the other stuff Squidward goes through. It just makes the episode have an annoying ending on top of being annoying throughout the rest of the episode. In conclusion, the episode is very annoying and frustrating with awful Patrick, is nonsensical and stupid, and has Squidward go through so many bad things for wanting to enjoy a concert without making the episode actually funny or entertaining otherwise to make it ok.

7. "Gary! Shame on you! Puffy Fluffy is perfectly harmless."

15024583797APalforGa.jpg

A Pal for Gary, 428 points

24 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank 3 #1's @Patty Rose @EmployeeAMillion @kev) (-5)

OWM: As you can see, this episode took a hell of a fall this year. I guess that's sort of good, because I don't really hate this episode. Hell, there are even some funny parts. I like the way Gary uses his leash as a lasso when he’s inspired by the Western movies, and him coming to the rescue at the end is genuinely awesome. SpongeBob also has a few stray funny lines about “enchiladas” and “You making meatballs Grandma? Time for dinner already.” However, I never said this was good, because it is not by all means. SpongeBob’s sassy, ignorant, bitchy self he transforms into in the second half of the episode is completely unjustified and infuriating. It makes no sense at all he would accuse Gary, his closest companion, of somehow sabotaging Puffy Fluffy at all. His conclusion that Gary “is just jealous” doesn’t make any sense at all, especially when viewing this obvious destruction a snail could not have caused. The chase scene is also really boring and weightless, by the way. Overall this episode excels better at being incredibly boring than doing anything offensive or mean-spirited. Does it belong in the top 10? Sure. But I would never put it anywhere near mine.

• Like 6
  • Happy 2
  • Wow 1

Both of these are absolutely horrible episode that both made it pretty high on my bottom 25. I'm glad they both stayed in the top 10, even though I'm, needless to say, shocked that A Pal for Gary took the fall it did.

Smoothe more than deserved  being so low, terrible episode, but I have no string feelings for APFG. Episode is bad, but isn't awful besides one SpongeBob line we all know and loathe. Otherwise it's just mediocre or jarring but there are episodes that are way worse than that, imo.

Both episodes made my list and both are very stinky as hell episodes.

Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom aged worse and worse over the time. Once, it was actually a liked episode is hated now for all the right reasons. The premise was actually good and it could have been fun and interesting to see SpongeBob and Squidward hang out in a concert but all of it is ruined by ONE OF THE WORST PLOT FORCES I HAVE EVER SEEN. The episode thought it'd be wise to see Patrick as a force of nature to give Squidward the hell, except it doesn't work. He's shoehorned in to punish Squidward undeservedly and the fact that SpongeBob left Squidward all alone in the end made things worse. This is such a cruel and unfunny episode that I'm glad it's low on this list.

I'm partly shocked at A Pal for Gary getting the lower spot than usual since it was just #2 last year but I have to admit that the hatred is toned down for me as well. I still hate it but it did have a good beginning and a few okay jokes but SpongeBob's ignorance here was the worst and Gary went through hell for no reason whatsoever. Not the mention, I hate Puffy Fluffy's design. It's so ugly and disgusting that doesn't fit in SpongeBob, albeit ironically a good meme. I stand by that the episode still deserves to be considered as one of the worst episodes ever but I'm ok with it falling off to #7 spot this year.

For me, "Smooth Jazz At Bikini Bottom" is another one of those "Meh", episodes. Not really that bad, but not that good either. But Bottom TEN material?! o.o It didn't even make my personal list, so I personally wouldn't call it horrible! :rolleyes: I think the only reason why "A Pal for Gary" isn't the highest ranked anymore, is because we have, unfortunately, gotten other episodes made SINCE then, which are even WORSE than that one! It still made my personal list, though. The episode IS slightly amusing for SOME jokes, but Spongebob is STILL written WAY too out of character for me to ignore, and that's why I still don't think this episode is good!

25. ? 24. ? 23. "The Cent of Money" (#26) 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. "The Clash of Triton" (#10) 17. ? 16. ? 15. "One Coarse Meal" (#15) 14. "Little Yellow Book" (#20) 13. "Someone's In the Kitchen With Sandy" (#11) 12. ? 11. ? 10. "The Splinter" (#18) 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. "A Pal For Gary" (#7) 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. "Boating Buddies" (#17) 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers! :cool:

Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom: I have never seen an episode go to shit in just around the same time it starts. Yikes.

havent seen in a while but I remember how awful everything was. Poor guy

A Pal For Gary: Great, now my ...enchiladas... are cold...

22. A Pal For Gary (#7)

21. Trench-Billies (#14)

17. Sponge-Cano (#28)

12. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (#12)

8. Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom (#8)

6. Sportz? (#33)

4. The Clash of Triton (#10)