• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (20 Years Edition)

OWM

38. This is the first episode on this year's list that appears on my bottom 25 at this point, so I'm happy enough to see this still here. While a lot of you are talking about how the episode is actually not that bad like most other S4 episodes, the only one thing I have at least one thing to say tojustify it being on my personal bottom 25: "WAAAAAH HUUUUUH (repeat for a little over a minute*)"

37. Certainly one of the worst MM&BB episode, if not actually my worst. Consider it one of my dishonorable mentions.

36. And here's another episode that's on my bottom 25. Because it's a shorter episode, it's merely above my bottom 10, but the episode is still nothing short of terrible. SpongeBob's character was poorly written, a lot of the jokes fall flat, and all in all, it's just a complete waste of my time.

35. While I've had a problem with its really slow pace and the kinda predictable plot, this is just another one that I find to be fairly mediocre.

34. It will probably hurt Melon for me to say it, and although I still don't hate the special, Atlantis Squarepantis has soured on me. When it comes down to the fact that Nickelodeon has meddled with the series' creative team to stretch the episode's length into that of an hour-long special, the problems can tend to show. Outside of the "Back in Encino" musical number, Patchy's segment was incredibly pointless. The songs on the actual episode, while not all THAT bad, were clearly there to fill in the special's time. While David Bowie is a singer himself, he doesn't apparently get a song of his own. Lastly, it ended on an anti-climatic note.

What stops me from finding this episode as terrible like most others is that I never really felt disappointed in it and I could still at least come up with a few positives that I have for it. I wouldn't even consider this as the worst special, especially when compared to the likes of "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?", "SpongeBob, You're Fired!", and "The Sponge Who Could Fly."

While I still have a soft spot for the special, I can very much understand why it's still on the list. I also want to say that I'm just glad we've all moved on from just simply analyzing "Atlantis SquarePantis" like where it's only something along the lines of "ALL THE SONGS ARE TERRIBLE!," "IT RIPS OFF WILLY WONKA!," and/or "THE BUS RUNS ON SONG??????"

33. I'm legitimately surprised to see this still being caught in the middle given how very vocal the hate towards "Sportz?" has been. I've rewatched episode months ago to see if my thoughts on it would worsen and it has...only by a slight amount. It's excessively wacky in some places and it relies a lot on physical humor, but I've at least seen worse examples of an episode that tried my patience (*COUGH* Krusty Katering *COUGH*).

• Like 1

my commentary was controversial and I’m happy 

also I always loved Atlantis, even though the patchy stuff I was kind of disturbed by as a child. Not anymore tho. Underrated special tbh

15. Squidward's School For Grown-Ups (#47)

6. Sportz? (#33)

5. The Googly Artiste (#46)

• God Himself 2

You've already seen my commentary on "Atlantis Squarepantis", nothing more to add to that one. I'm STILL legitimately surprised that "Sportz?" gets so much HATE directed towards it, even though I personally find it to be funny in SPITE (or maybe even BECAUSE) of it's utter stupidity, and it's nice to see a Squidward 'Abuse' episode where Squidward actually DESERVES the abuse he gets for a change, instead of a number of other episodes that I could POTENTIALLY mention! /

25. ? 24. ? 23. ? 22. ? 21. ? 20. ? 19. "Face Freeze!" (#40) 18. 17. ? 16. ? 15. ? 14. ? 13. ? 12. ? 11. ? 10. ? 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. ? 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers! :cool:

Waiting: boring.

House Sittin' for Sandy: pointless.

Atlantis Squarepantis: ok. (don't fight me)

Sportz: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Spoiler

12. The Card (#41)
19. Sportz? (#33)
20. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)
23. All That Glitters (#38)

Dishonorable Mention:
26. Shuffleboarding (#37)

• Happy 1

16 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

33. I'm legitimately surprised to see this still being caught in the middle given how very vocal the hate towards "Sportz?" has been. I've rewatched episode months ago to see if my thoughts on it would worsen and it has...only by a slight amount. It's excessively wacky in some places and it relies a lot on physical humor, but I've at least seen worse examples of an episode that tried my patience (*COUGH* Krusty Katering *COUGH*).

A ton of episodes feel like they're dropping so far due to list inflation, this would've been good for 20th last year point wise (right where Rodeo Daze was as the first one with two number one placements, while Sportz is this year's first instance of that coincidentally) so I'd say it's increased a bit, just a ton of wild cards this year though. Even some hated eps like Grownups which have only picked up steam recently dropped more spots than Sportz has this year so I'd still say it's pretty strong and am content with it placing this low despite it being my personal worst. Sometimes that's just how it goes.

32. "I've been replaced by a sandwich!"

2100883718_32.ToLoveaPatty.jpg.699f08355295ddfb86f489b5dead5c4b.jpg

To Love a Patty, 149 points

15 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #7 @CakeCup) (-5)

OWM: I didn't ask for commentary here because everyone was busy. That's fine I guess because I actually have something to say about this episode. To me this episode has a sort of ironic enjoyment I can’t place my finger on. This plot is so fucking bad and ridiculous that I seriously cannot hate it. The song actually makes me laugh for this reason. Seeing SpongeBob obsess over a fucking sandwich is far funnier than it should be. Him massacring an entire group of innocent scallops, even brutally tearing one apart with his fingers, is so horrible and in such poor taste that it wraps around to becoming funny again.

There is some genuinely bad stuff here, of course. SpongeBob drops all reason and logic in order to screw this patty. He abandons his famous philosophy of satisfying customers and it just feels wrong. He actually brings out the “fry cook oath” and displays actual common sense for a few moments, until it gets completely derailed! From there, the rest of the episode is just straight delusion. He casually professes love for a patty that’s already starting to mold after six hours and abandons his beloved and trusted friends for the damn thing. There’s absolutely no humor during any of this besides laughing at just how bad this episode is. The closest thing available is the moldy closeups, which are obviously in poor taste. Even the ending feels really gross and inconclusive. Mr. Krabs literally convinces SpongeBob to eat Patty knowing just how rotten and disease-filled it is. 

So is this episode bad? Yes. Do I hate it? No. Something about it is just so preposterous and ridiculous I feel like the writers were fucking with us this time around.

31. "If you want someone demolished, I guess you have to demolish them yourself!"

1261475795_31.DemolitionDoofus.jpg.b1762ffc9038911e19d35db0fece2eb0.jpg

Demolition Doofus, 150 points

12 out of 41 lists (Highest Rank #1 @?Cha?(-8)

Dman: Demolition Doofus is bad. Shocker, I know. Every typical SpongeBob hater remembers the episode for that one infamous moment, but surprise! There are other problems with this episode as well! It begins with SpongeBob inadvertently helping Squidward out with his gardening (that’s as good as this episode’s gonna get) and heads to take another boating test. Remember the oral part of the test? That’s long gone at this point. Anyway, SpongeBob gets right into it and makes the same mistake three times, causing Mrs. Puff to inflate more than she ever has and she crashes into a tower, horribly deforming her for life. At the hospital SpongeBob goes on to make a joke about Mrs. Puff’s condition, which doesn’t help as she’s already pretty pissed. While Mrs. Puff is in the hospital, we also get a look at the newest casualties of the recent demolition derby; apparently it’s “quite entertaining” to look at. Mrs. Puff then figures out that if she can get SpongeBob to risk his life in a demolition derby, she may be able get rid of him… forever.

Yeah… even after 7 years, Mrs. Puff’s desires to kill SpongeBob are pretty uncomfortable for viewing eyes. She convinces him to join the derby for extra credit, and he obliges. The next few minutes are just SpongeBob miraculously avoiding the threats of the other derby contestants, and Puff yelling and wanting SpongeBob to just die already. When all seems said and done, Puff takes matters into her own hands and joins the derby herself. SpongeBob somehow figures out how to drive and avoids all of Puff’s attacks, leading them back to the boating school. Funny thing is, she causes more damage to others and her own school rather than causing damage to SpongeBob. The episode ends with the two derby cars crashing into each other, causing Mrs. Puff to inflate, and SpongeBob remarks that everything is back to normal. So much for the deformity. The doctor literally said she ruptured her inflation sack. It was popped wide open. How can she even inflate? We all know continuity doesn’t exist in the SpongeBob universe, but within the same episode? I’m not joking when I say that part makes me hate the episode more compared to the death threats. It’s a good thing sure, and it brings things back to the status quo, but there is no logical way I can see that she could reinflate with the parameters that the episode set up. I would say that they could have done it so many different ways that it could’ve been possible for Mrs. Puff to get better, but no. There’s no way. If she was deformed for good she’d have the excuse to kill SpongeBob (which is a terrible thing to do as is), but the show wouldn’t return to normal. If she could get better over time on the other hand, the show could go back to normal in one episode but her drive to kill SpongeBob would be even more jarring than before. There is no way that this episode can logically work while keeping the show’s standards and that is mainly why it’s so bad to me.

Carotte: Ooh boy, this is one of the episodes I always hated to death since the first time I watched it. WARNING: long rant coming. The episode starts with SpongeBob falling his boating test in a very stupid way. I know he is usually reckless at driving but here the writers didn't even try to add comedy. Compare No Free Rides' beginning with this beginning. In both scenes, SpongeBob can't drive correctly but which one is generally the funniest? I would say the former by a distance that is almost as long as the Earth-Moon distance. Anyways, the hospital scene is bad in every way. Why would SpongeBob laugh at someone who is injured? That is so out of character. Not to mention, Mrs. Puff's reaction is pretty harsh over a joke. Sure, it was offensive but if I was her, I wouldn't try to kill SpongeBob by holding his nose. After a few scenes I don't like, the Demolition Derby is introduced. Mrs Puff wants SpongeBob to join it JUST BECAUSE SHE WANTS HIM TO DIE KNOWING THAT HE IS TOO WEAK FOR THAT (Sorry for the yelling but this episode really pisses me off). After all these crashes, SpongeBob is surprisingly winning...ok. BUT, Mrs Puff gets mad and joins in attempt to kill SpongeBob until the end of the episode where she inflates again...wtf. "Now everything is back to normal!" says SB. I think nothing is normal in that episode. The ending feels so rushed, it's like the writers wanted to do more attempts to hurt SpongeBob but thet just realized they already made 11 minutes so they decided to immediately inflate Mrs Puff and boom, the episode ends. In conclusion, Demolition Doofus is a frustrating, awful and annoying episode that is unbearable to watch. Enough said (true believers :funny:).

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 8
  • Wow 1

To Love a Patty will always be a shit episode for me, even when I was a kid, I felt uncomfortable watching it. SpongeBob's behavior is so nonsensical, obsessive and out of character and this is one of the first episodes to truly use gross out to fullest and it's nothing but a vomit. I will always hate this whatever piece of shit is.

I'm not gonna lie that I feel kind of fascinated by Demolotion Doofus to hate it. It's just an episode that has interesting situations about Mrs. Puff's character and while it's so terrible for her to do that, I do think it makes sense for her to be enough of SpongeBob's reckless accidents and this was the final blow (literally) for her to wish SpongeBob would die. This type of episode could have worked for some other show, so that's kind of why I don't hate it (oddly enough I hate some other episode for same reasons but more on that later I hope) and I enjoyed derby sequences. However I definitely hated SpongeBob's joke because that was so out of character for him to say.

Btw "Mrs. Puff's reaction is pretty harsh over a joke. Sure, it was offensive but if I was her, I wouldn't try to kill SpongeBob by holding his nose", well he did cause the accident, so him saying that makes the whole situation totally unbearable for her, so anyone with same position would at least be angry at the joke. Not that Mrs. Puff is justified over the attack but it makes sense for me. 

To Love a Patty was bottom 5 in 2016 and it genuinely disappoints me with how it's dropped, it's one of the very few episodes to have ever actually physically disgusted me and I feel we're letting it off far too easily.

Doofus....was always just there to me, it actually has far more life in it than the typical season 8 episode so it stands out somewhat positively there. I can get the characterization being rough for some people though and do understand why it gets here, slightly glad it's a bit lower though.

To Love a Patty: I have a shameful opinion on this one that I shall not share here.

Demolition Doofus: Admittedly, this is probably in the top half of Season 8 for me. Like a lot of the rest of Season 8, this episode elicits little to no reaction from me, but at least they keep it kind of interesting, a far cry from the bland, uninteresting other sub-good episodes of the season. Neither Mrs. Puff nor Spongebob were in the right here, and that may be why I didn't really care about Mrs. Puff's characterization. Overall, it's just another Season 8 episode. 6/10

• Like 1

Atlantis: This episode is actually very far on my BEST list. Amazing episode with an amazing location and atmosphere, great songs, great plot, great animation, etc. and is very fun to watch. Love this episode.

Sportz?: Bad episode. It’s mostly just one joke of Spongebob and Patrick getting hurt the whole time, and isn’t funny. Its plot is also poorly structured due to the whole box thing and Squidward was a bit ooc.

To Love a Patty: This episode was on my list. I actually don’t hate most of the episode, but the problem is the grossout. It gets REALLY gross, and it’s not like the rest of the episode was that good anyway, so it gets it on my list. Those scenes I close my eyes for, bcause it’s so gross

Demolition Doofus: This is in a weird zone ehere on one hand, Mrs Puff wanting to  kill Spongebob is bad, as is the jokes Spongebob makes and some other things like the cop-out ending said in the commentary, but on the other hand I enjoy this episode. idk what to think of it. But it’s not bottom 50.

Spoiler

50. :thinkegg:

49. :thinkegg:

48. :thinkegg:

47. :thinkegg:

46. Waiting (#46)

45. The Googly Artiste (#46)

44. :thinkegg:

43. :thinkegg:

42. The Fish Bowl (#50)

41. The Play’s The Thing (#44)

40. :thinkegg:

39. :thinkegg:

38. :thinkegg:

37. House Sittin for Sandy (#35)

36. :thinkegg:

35. :thinkegg:

34. :thinkegg:

33. :thinkegg:

32. :thinkegg:

31. :thinkegg:

30. :thinkegg:

29. Sportz? (#33)

28. :lennythink:

27. :thinkegg:

26. :thinkegg:

25. You Don’t Know Sponge (#45)

24. :thinkegg:

23. :thinkegg:

22. :thinkegg:

21. Face Freeze (#40)

20. :thinkegg:

19. :thinkegg:

18. :thinkegg:

17. To Love a Patty (#32)

16. :thinkegg:

15. :thinkegg:

14. :thinkegg:

13. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)

12. Shuffleboarding (#37)

11. :thinkegg:

10. :thinkegg:

9. :thinkegg:

8. :thinkegg:

7. :thinkegg:

6. :thinkegg:

5. :thinkegg:

4. :thinkegg:

3. :lennythink:

2. :thinkegg:

1. :thinkegg:

5/25 11/50

To Love a Patty: Grossout doesn't really affect me too much, so for me TLaP isn't as bad of an episode as everyone else says. Don't get me wrong, I still don't like it, but I've seen a lot worse to the point where I've been desensitized to groussout jokes. Actually, there's only one episode in the "grossout" genre I put on my list. But I'm certain we'll get there...

Demolition Doofus: reeeee

Spoiler

12. The Card (#41)
14. Demolition Doofus (#31)
19. Sportz? (#33)
20. Cephalopod Lodge (#39)
23. All That Glitters (#38)

Dishonorable Mention:
26. Shuffleboarding (#37)

To Love a Patty didn't make my bottom 25, heck it might not even be bottom 50. It's dumb but still more entertaining than lots of 6-9a episodes with its so bad it's good premise.

Demolition Doofus didn't make my list, but it does deserve to be on here. Another really boring and awful season 8 episode with terrible characterization.

Sportz is well... you all know how I feel about this one.

"To Love a Patty" is another one of those episodes that I honestly can't BELIEVE that I forgot existed! o.o It probably would've been at LEAST my #24 instead of the segment I did pick! In any case, I think this episode segment is probably the episode segment that is LARGELY responsible for the HORRIBLE atrocity of an episode segment that is BOUND to appear on this list later, but I won't tell you what it is just yet! :hysterical: "Demolition Doofus" definitely made my personal list, though probably not as high as it has in past lists. I mean, I know that Mrs. Puff is really FRUSTRATED that Spongebob hasn't got his boating license yet, but I feel that trying to get him KILLED in a demolition derby is a bridge too far, EVEN for her, all things considered! :rolleyes: Here's my list so far. /

25. ? 24. ? 23. ? 22. ? 21. ? 20. "Demolition Doofus" (#31) 19. "Face Freeze" (#40) 18. ? 17. ? 16. ? 15. ? 14. ? 13. ? 12. ? 11. ? 10. ? 9. ? 8. ? 7. ? 6. ? 5. ? 4. "Atlantis Squarepantis" (#34) 3. ? 2. ? 1. ?

Enough said, true believers! ;)

Got to say I’m proud to see how much activity the Worst List has gotten year over year.  Feels like just yesterday when I had 23 members participating the last time I hosted in 2015.  And now we have 41 members participating and I can definitely tell with how many episodes are dropping that were higher on these countdowns from previous years.  Varieties of opinions can always be a good thing.  Excited to see where more of these episodes end up.  Hell I’m even more excited to see what happens to Fungus Among Us this year.

• Like 4

To Love a Patty is episode I loathe. I can understand if someone was entertained by it's "so bad it's good" nature, but this episode was just bad to me in general. Terrible gross-out, terrible storyline and terrible characterization. You can say that SpongeBob is going downhill if they had to bend character's personality to make one-note gag plot work.

Demolition Doofus is episode I have no hard feelings for. It's somewhat fascinating, like Whobob said, but also kinda uncomfortable to watch. At the very least this episode is memorable, quality that not many season 8 episodes have. But terrible characterization and contrived plot-resolution make this episode more than worthy being on the list, even if I'd had it a bit lower.

9 hours ago, EmployeeAMillion said:

The fact that these two (Love Patty/Demolition) are hardly near the Bottom 20 is, let’s just say,

Reveal hidden contents

problematic.

Only problematic thing is Plankton Paranoia's plot-holes and this is fine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EmployeeAMillion said:

The fact that these two (Love Patty/Demolition) are hardly near the Bottom 20 is, let’s just say,

Hide contents

problematic.

I don’t see how TLAP and DD not being bottom 20 is a plot hole