• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

1 hour ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

remember when y'all massacred 4evergreen for making his own list

yeah tbh i don't wanna hear any backlash about his decision this time around, we created this mentality

Okay to be fair I didn't know about this.  

I would agree that making a list that is true to yourself is the better way to go, and I'm not saying I agree with 4EverGreen's decision here. But anyone who remembers the All That Glitters year of the list should know well why it is what it is.

aaaaaaanywaaaaay

44. "Don't forget, he called you pink!"

Image result for the fry cook games

The Fry Cook Games, 72 points

(5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, BeachBob)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fry_Cook_Games

Trophy: Recreational activities in SpongeBob like sports are a bit odd to talk about. Jellyfishing episodes are usually good, karate and bubble themex ones are middle of the pack, and then there's some other ones sprinkled throughout to varying degrees of quality like Krusty Krushers and Sportz. However, The Fry Cook Games are a clear cut above the rest for me. What this episode does well is take one thing, a rivalry, and have it develop throughout the episode by showing how intense even friends can become over these events. Patrick simply wanting to have fun turning into another part of the Plankton/Krabs rivalry was brilliant, the competitions were fun and even slightly reminiscient of fry cooking thanks to the fish sticks gag where many were brutally murdered and presumably eaten, and it showed a heated fight to end the episode, both combatants duking it out to the extremes. They went too far as well such as with the nametags, which makes the underwear reveal with the colors mentioned earlier on more impactful. Even though the games brought glory or payback for jealousy due to exclusion, they still reconciled, and didn't have to totally kill each other like Krabs and Plankton want. SpongeBob and Pat saved themselves, and it capped off a fun episode that landed number 8 on my list this year. In the words of Ilya Bryzgalov: "It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?"

Wumbo: I really do miss when this series would regularly experiment with new locations and new character interactions. The Fry Cook Games is a prime example of this, pairing Patrick and Plankton against SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs for an exciting and ridiculously funny competition. I really enjoy the reasons for the competitive streak that both characters develop: SpongeBob's pride over his work, and Patrick's reaction to being insulted. This episode is kinda like Naughty Nautical Neighbors on steroids (by the end, perhaps quite literally), except that SpongeBob and Patrick cause this feud themselves, really testing their friendship up towards the end. Using this personal conflict to fuel a Plankton/Krabs rivalry is a genius move to get all four characters into the plot, and the bizarre games themselves provide for some truly uniquely hilarious moments. I love Patrick's strawberry ice cream dive. 

Of all the SpongeBob/Patrick conflicts in the series, this one feels the most personal and real to me. Of course it's solved in a ridiculous and silly way, but throughout the episode the initial conflict just keeps on being raised physically with challenge after challenge, and you can see initially why both would be motivated to compete against each other. Overall, an exciting blend of characters and situations with some truly overlooked funny moments (seriously, this is the "MY NAME'S NOT RICK" episode) makes for an all-time favourite of mine, and I'm glad it finally seems to be getting the love it deserves.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1

The Fry Cook Games missed my list but there's no doubt, it's one of the best SpongeBob/Patrick episodes to this day. Their rivalry actually makes sense and it's played for clever dialogue comedy and fast paced sequences. Patrick/Plankton team up is something I've never thought and I'm glad it started with this one (and of course, episodes like Chum Bucket Supreme shows Patrick is great when he's paired with another character...mostly). The entire episode was so much fun and pretty sweet towards the end. Definitely worthy to be on the list.

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

I admire how seriously fast food seems to be taken in the undersea world. The idea of the games themselves are pretty hilarious, and it’s amazing how nearly every single sport here is creatively and pleasantly food themed. Patrick and SpongeBob’s relationship during the games is amazing too. I love how Patrick’s unpretentious attitude clashes with SpongeBob’s serious understanding of fry cookery. It makes for some great comedy while still reminding you how similar the two are, like when Krabs and Plankton’s speeches overlap. My favorite moments to come out of their rivalry are when they just start insulting each other’s physical appearances. “You don’t even have a nose!” “Fingernails, fingernails!” The wrestling scene is a great way to tie everything together, too. You can’t beat that overexaggerated anger combined with the sexual tension. I love how they take the most minor things so personally and angrily, like when Patrick just randomly licks SpongeBob’s foot, and of course the infamous “MY NAME’S NOT RIIICK!”

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. ???

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. ???

19. ???

18. ???

17. ???

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

• Like 1

I loved how they try to do their own Olympics-esque episode for Fry Cook Games is interesting idea, and having SB vs Patrick rivalry that Krabs/Plankton using them to hate each other in silly way :P With that being said, I liked this competitive episode overall.

• Like 1

The Great Snail Race: Great and underrated episode. I know people hate it because of Spongebob absuing Gary, but it's never bothered me in the episode except for one 2 second scene where the audience cheers when Gary crashes, and that's not enough at all to harm the episode a lot. Additionally, the episode is really funny too. Wasn't on my list though

The Fry Cook Games: Another great episode that missed my list. I find the fry cook games that they participate in and the rivalry really cool, and I find the episode funny too

Valentine's Day (#50) 

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

50: ???

49: ???

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

The Fry Cook Games is an amazing, hilarious classic! I definitely would say that it's worthy of being here. Like Wumbo, I am glad to see that this episode is getting the love it deserves! :)

• Like 1

The Great Snail Race is an episode whose hatred seems to be based on the way people attach it to more recent episodes like A Pal for Gary rather than the episode itself being bad. It shows a complete arc of SpongeBob's character and remembered that aspect should be the part of the story and not the main joke. The Fry Cook Games always felt like a grand conclusion with the epic atmosphere of the contest and how strongly SpongeBob and Patrick's friendships are tested. Both made my list.

7. The Great Snail Race (#45)

15. Rock Bottom (#49)

21. The Fry Cook Games (#44)

• Like 1

o.o I feel REALLY bad about not including this episode in my best of list, it's a real classic! If I had remembered the episode when I made my list, I probably would have put it in at LEAST #23 or 24, instead of the two episode segments I did put in. But I'm glad this episode segment got in, anyways. "The Fry Cook Games" is a CRIMINALLY over-looked aspect in "Spongebob Squarepants"! :rolleyes: There REALLY needs to be at LEAST another episode revolving around ANOTHER "Fry Cook Games", not necessarily Spongebob Vs. Patrick, but more on the sports themselves, in general, because there are SO many untapped, potential story ideas! :D And I agree with other people are saying, this episode DOES show how competitions can turn even best friends into heated rivals! Sure, the way the problem was resolved was pretty silly, but ultimately fitting for a show with the nature of "Spongebob Squarepants"! :hysterical: I can't wait to see what else will be on this list! :cool: Enough said! ;)

• Thanks 1

Well, APPARENTLY, having your OWN opinion in TODAY'S world is OVER-RATED, and if you TRY to have one, everyone else will act all 'butt-hurt' about it. And I'm SICK of having that happen to me! :rolleyes: So if I can't beat them, far better to join them.

• Happy 1

hey didnt wumbo say just like a few posts back to stop arguing over things. it really doesn't have to dissolve into this every time someone makes a comment you disagree with. 427194190871396354.png?v=1

• Like 6

43. "I will destroy the Krusty Krab!"

Image result for squid's day off

Squid's Day Off, 73 points

(7 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #6, RDSP)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Squid's_Day_Off

Halibut: For any of y'all who somehow remember, I considered this my absolute favorite SpongeBob episode for a while. Of course, that changed over time when my connection with the episode kind of faded away. That said, it's certainly still a fantastic episode and is still in my top ten. As an episode, it's hilarious, it shows SpongeBob and Squidward's relationship in a hilarious way, and I also just love the.. aesthetics. This is an aspect of early SpongeBob nobody really mentions but this episode just looks fantastic. There's something about the designs and coloring in early episodes like this that are really pleasing on the eye. Going back to the SpongeBob-Squidward dynamic though, it's really interesting to me that so much can be done with the episode just using Squidward and his psyche. The episode could probably be marked "Squidward torture" or something stupid along those lines, but that really misses the point to me on Squidward's role in the episode. Now this episode, with SpongeBob's role, is really ambiguous. The episode really blurs a line as we can never really know what he did or didn't do, and that adds to the charm and atmosphere of the episode. SpongeBob essentially did nothing wrong, or irresponsible, or even anything at all in the episode, so it's really interesting to see Squidward collapse under his own crippling fear and paranoia. Of course, that doesn't sound great, but the episode gives it that twist by just being a hilarious episode. From Krabs' coin dilemma in the beginning of the episode up to Squidward deflating, every joke in the episode lands. All of that combined is essentially why I like the episode so much. Its look into Squidward's psyche and the way he perceived SpongeBob is a sight to behold.

RDSP: Squid's Day Off always struck me as one of the funnier episodes of Season 2. The episode's premise itself, just to start off, is great; Squidward is left to "manage" the Krusty Krab after Mr. Krabs is injured trying to save a dime from falling down the drain. From there, Squidward tries to escape and have his own day off from the Krusty Krab, only for his own paranoia of Spongebob messing something up at the workplace to get the better of him. It just escalates from there until Squidward seals himself in his own house... and then it keeps escalating further until Squidward is running through the streets in the nude, trying to prove Spongebob as a bad worker. This episode works because of the comical escalation. The episode is funny through and through, definitely making it deserving of a spot on the list.

• Like 4

Squid's Day Off: Great and very funny episode, with good atmosphere, and I Squidward is great in this episode. However, it still missed my list.

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

50: ???

49: ???

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

Well I finally had an episode of mine make it onto the list. You guys already saw my write-up.

Spoiler

25. hmmm
24. hmmm
23. hmmm
22. hmmm
21. hmmm
20. hmmm
19. hmmm
18. hmmm
17. hmmm
16. hmmm
15. hmmm
14. hmmm
13. hmmm
12. hmmm
11. hmmm
10. hmmm
09. hmmm
08. Squid's Day Off
07. hmmm
06. hmmm
05. hmmm
04. hmmm
03. hmmm
02. hmmm
01. hmmm

Squid's Day Off didn't make my list but it's one of the best season 2 episodes for sure. This episode knew how to be creepy and unsettling in a funny way. Something post-second movie tends to forget is that Squidward's craziness shouldn't be out of nowhere. Here, it was built up from the beginning and Squidward's craziness not only made sense, it worked as a comedy in perfect timing. Everything about this episode is hilarious and really enjoyable. Even background music was so damn good. What an insane episode.

• Like 1

Squid's Day Off was definitely one of the most comedy-driven SpongeBob episodes in season 2. It highlighted how Squidward isn't always the deadpan grump that we usually get to see; he's hilarious, fantastic, and of course crazy. While many post-sequel episodes have Squidward acting overly crazy without rhyme or reason, Squid's Day Off has context for him being that way, which is something that I really enjoy. 

• Like 1