• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

Uh... yeah, I'm behind on posting here. Well, anyways;

My Pretty Seahorse: Overall a really good episode, its mix of great gags and a slightly emotional plotline help it stand out. Unfortunately it didn't make my list.

The Great Snail Race: I haven't seen this episode in some time but from what I remember, it was pretty good. It sucks to see it get so much hate anymore.

The Fry Cook Games: Other than the "My name's not Rick" meme that spawned from this episode, I don't see many people talk about this one, and that sucks. Building from an interesting concept, the rivalry between Spongebob and Patrick which grows throughout until the end really sells it. It didn't make my list but it was a fantastic episode regardless.

Squid's Day Off: There I am Gary there I am!

Club Spongebob: Another good episode. I've seen some people call this a "Squidward torture" episode or whatever as of late and it's unfortunate to see that some people dislike this episode; while the plot is sort of a generic "characters get lost in the forest" sort of thing, they play around with it (like with the Magic Conch and the ranger who came to save them, only to also use the Magic Conch for guidance). Overall, it's an enjoyable episode. And besides, it's not really "torturing" Squidward if he deserved it the whole time.

Clams: One of the best Mr. Krabs-centered episodes. What's not to like? There's Mr. Krabs doing... something with that dollar, kicking everyone out of the Krusty Krab, going crazy over just losing one dollar and other sorts of things. Spongebob and Squidward are also great here, with things like the Coral Blue #3 lipstick and other happenings throughout. Overall, it's a great episode and it made my list.

Employee of the Month: Look Gary, there I am again!

• Like 1

There are so many great episodes that aren't in my top 50 on this list lol. Not much to say on these two other than that EOTM is a pretty underrated and overlooked episode, and I was surprised when I rewatched it last year that it was better than I remembered. 

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Employee of the Month (#40)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

4/50, 0/25

Edited by Wintermelon43

"Employee of the Month" is a very good, funny episode that just BARELY missed out on making my Top 25 list! If we were able to make a Top 30 list, it definitely would have gotten in THEN! In any case, I'm glad this episode made the list! :D This is probably one of the few, RARE times in this show where both Spongebob AND Squidward put themselves through torture on an EQUAL level! o.o It's hard to tell whether it's Mr. Krabs, Squidward, or Spongebob's own psyche that's responsible for kick-starting the story conflict in this episode, but it definitely snowballs when Squidward lets his jealousy of Spongebob's performance get the better of him! :hysterical: And Mr. Krabs doesn't get out of this unscathed, either! As both Spongebob and Squidward, in their CRAZED efforts to be #1, end up WRECKING his restaurant; so in a way, it's karma for Mr. Krabs making Spongebob feel insecure about his chances for winning Employee of the Month! :rolleyes: I can't wait to see what other great episodes wind up on this list! :cool: Enough said! ;)

39. "I'm ugly and I'm proud!"

Image result for something smells

Something Smells, 80 points

(6 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, Patty Sponge)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Something_Smells

OWM: That sundae and the bad breath it causes are downright hilarious. I love how disgusting the sundae is to begin with and how its nastiness is played so casually. “A little texture never hurt.” I also like how the effects of SpongeBob’s breath range from mild disgust all the way to outright killing people and dissolving objects because of how acidic it is. They’re all extremely diverse, creative and hysterical. The way the breath balls up as SpongeBob keeps talking is so entertaining visually too. Patrick’s also a great character here. I love how he comes to the “ugly” conclusion so quickly, as well as the steps he takes to try to help SpongeBob. There’s a reason everyone loves the “Ugly Barnacle” story. It’s so grim and blunt yet told in such a hilarious and chipper way. Probably one of the greatest jokes in SpongeBob history, if you ask me. Even the minor stuff is fantastic here. The interior design of the movie theater is actually very pretty. There’s a pretty good fake-out joke when the crossing guard gets shooed away. And Squidward’s role is great here too, I love his line “Is that what he calls it?” and how he just gets awkwardly shoehorned in the ending.

• Like 8

Very funny episode, though it didn't make my top 50. Patrick is so hilarious here, with stuff like the Ugly Barnacle and LOOK AT IT!

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Squid's Day Off (#43)

Employee of the Month (#40)

Something Smells (#39)

The Great Snail Race (#45) (Might be higher but whatever)

Rock Bottom (#49) 

Clams (#41)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

50: ???

49: Club Spongebob (#42)

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

4/50, 0/25

Edited by Wintermelon43

Employee of the Month: Very classic episode with great humor and a fun competition between SpongeBob and Squidward. I'd say it's worthy of being on this countdown.

Something Smells: Also worthy of being on the countdown. Very funny episode, SpongeBob wreaking havoc with his bad breath is hilarious to see!

Honestly, I was torn on whether I should include "Nasty Patty" or "Something Smells" on my personal top 25 list. Ultimately, I decided that "Nasty Patty" should be on my list, because it had BETTER and stronger dark comedy elements than this episode segment. But I certainly would've included this episode if I could've! I'm glad it made the list, still! :D I like the gag where Spongebob says hi to EVERYONE in the band (Spongebob: "Hi didjeridoo player!") and his bad breath knocks them all over like a bowling ball! :hysterical: Also, the exchange of "I'm confused." "Yes, I am." Is just such an under-rated gem of comedy! :rolleyes: And even Spongebob's reflection didn't want to be around Spongebob's bad breath! o.o And of course, it was funny that Spongebob actually had a THING on his chest! This episode was SO funny, and is a good example on how to do poor communication resulting in comedy done PROPERLY, something that a good number of shows, even certain episodes of "Spongebob Squarepants", have a hard time getting right! But this episode really does a good job with it! :cool: I can't wait to see what else is on this list! Enough said! ;)

The Springer/Greenblatt team has to be one of the best of the entire series. Their distinct humor in their episodes is absolutely brilliant.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. Clams (#41)

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. Something Smells (#39)

19. ???

18. ???

17. Squid's Day Off (#43)

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

The Fry Cook Games (#44)

Club SpongeBob (#42)

• Like 1

Something Smells is another great episode. The whole idea of it (Spongebob getting self-conscious because of getting bad breath from a gross "sundae") is great enough itself. The episode is well-rounded throughout otherwise, with some great scenes like the "I'm ugly and I'm proud" part and the whole serious bit with Spongebob becoming reclusive due to growing self-conscious. This episode is also really funny to boot, with even some dark jokes like the Ugly Barnacle, the marching band fakeout and the background fish hooking themselves due to Spongebob's breath definitely adding to this episode's humour. Overall, Something Smells is an enjoyable episode throughout, though it didn't make my list.

38. "I wanna defeat the giant monkey men and save the ninth dimension!"

Image result for big pink loser

Big Pink Loser, 83 points

(6 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, Clappy)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Pink_Loser

Wumbo: The problem with Flanderization of characters is that it reduces characters to what the writers believe is their core appeal to the audience, missing out on any other dimensions that make the character a character, and simply turning them into an archetype. It's a lazy way to write. With that in mind, oh god, remember when Patrick Star was actually a character? With feelings and ideas and emotions? "Big Pink Loser" is one of my favourite Patrick episodes for this reason. Much like "Squidville" is a dive into Squidward's psyche when presented with a different situation, we learn what makes Patrick tick and how he sets to achieve his goals when he accidentally receives SpongeBob's award in the mail, and then subsequently learns that he has a closet full of them. Wanting an award too, he aims to do whatever it takes to win one. Even if that means behaving exactly like SpongeBob.

See, this is what I like about Patrick: he has a simple mind, but his logic still makes sense, even if only to him. Obviously he shouldn't have followed SpongeBob's advice to the letter, but his seeing of SpongeBob winning award after award and his frustration at himself not being able to can cause for a pretty serious identity crisis. This extends into the end of the episode, where Patrick asks the question, "What's so great about being a big pink loser?" This moment has always stuck with me in SpongeBob; you would never, ever, in later seasons, see Patrick even attempt to dive into self-loathing. But here it is, wide open: Patrick is aware of his intellectual inferiority and what it means for him on a grander scale, and it's honestly kind of heart-wrenching to see. Even worse is when he yells "PATRICK'S NOT HERE!" in defiance to SpongeBob calling him Patrick. Of course, this is all remedied when he wins an award at the end, but for a brief moment, we actually get a look into Patrick's deep feelings and why he acts the way he does. It's a side of Patrick we hadn't seen before, and I'd argue not since (though I'm with Stupid comes close).

Beyond that, the episode is hilarious and exciting. I love the fast pace of the chase scene at the end as SpongeBob finally gets tired of Patrick's shenanigans. I love Patrick messing up basically everything he can at the Krusty Krab, culminating with him struggling to open a jar. I love the funny way they just kicked Squidward out of the plot; yeah, obviously he wouldn't want to stick around with both his neighbours working with him. This episode balances that comedy with an interesting character study, and it's one of the most frank and honest portrayals of Patrick in the show. Superb stuff.

Clappy: When I think of Big Pink Loser, I think of a lot of things when it comes to my fandom of this series.  My original favorite episode of the show.  The first episode I memorized line for line.  I’ve gone into massive depth on previous countdowns because practically everyone knows by now that this will forever be my number two of all time.  So this one will be shorter than usual because I want to talk about one thing in particular that I’ve never really talked about.

I don’t think I’ve ever talked about just how great of a Patrick character study this is.  I mean really think about it.  Every element of Patrick’s character traits is in it from what I can tell unless he’s had some sort of changes that I don’t know of since I stopped regularly viewing it :P .  His laziness is on point.  Definitely many quotable moments from him to show how hilariously stupid he can be.  His lack of ambition (and being finally awarded for it).  You could even argue his selfishness gets highlighted about how badly he wants an award and how far he will go to do so.  At least the latter is done right here.  This is just an all around in depth Patrick episode and at the time, I would point to this episode as the perfect example as to why he was my favorite character at the time and still is today.

• Like 7
  • God Himself 1

Employee of the Month is a very entertaining and hilarious episode

Something Smells made it into my list, It's one of the funniest episodes of Season 2 :D

Big Pink Loser is also an hilarious and fun episode to watch 

Oh hey, the ep which made me come up with "TrophyStealer" then shorten it to Trophy. Still high for me at ninth as it's really sentimental as being one of the first episodes I loved, and I'm surprised to see it appear this low.

• Happy 1

Big Pink Loser didn't make my list but it's my second favorite Patrick episode (behind Valentine's Day) and to me, this is how you justify Patrick's existence. Patrick's a hard character to write for a story because he works best as a comic relief but he can't carry his own episodes and his episodes tend to get very boringly stupid or just cruel. This episode did it well because Patrick was an actual character, not some one dimensional comic relief. I can totally relate to Patrick on wanting to achieve at something in life but being so lazy at everything. I'm not stupid like Patrick but I'm well aware I'm a lazyass like him and sometimes I do feel like a loser the way Patrick feels. All the gags were charming and I actually cared for Patrick once. It's also worth meanioning this is a jerk Patrick DONE RIGHT. Actually justify his mean-spiritness and make it funny, not cruel. Patrick acting like SpongeBob could have easily been mean-spirited for no reason If it was made in post-movie but Patrick was just jealous of SpongeBob rubbing his success on Patrick and Patrick wanted to be like him, so he can become successful too. It's justified and it gave us some amazing moments with them. Definitely an episode worth praising for.

Big Pink Loser's also in my top 50. Just a fantastic and hilarious episode, and beyond that, I don't have much to add as Clappy and Wumbo pretty much already stated what I was going to say :)