• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

I think you guys misunderstood me. I didn't say I was totally AGAINST pre-movie episodes being on this list! :rolleyes: I mean, 16 out of the 25 episodes that I picked were EXCLUSIVELY before the first movie happened! o.o I was just saying that I was trying to pick episodes that deserved a chance to shine among the pre-movie episodes! Anyways, more back on topic, "F.U.N." definitely made my list at #17. This was, and still is, kind of a unique plot idea for "Spongebob Squarepants." We haven't really gotten another episode like this, where Spongebob tries to make friends with somebody who is like an antagonist to him, and we DEFINITELY don't have many catchy songs in the vein of the "Fun Song", out there. The episodes are starting to get good, let's see what else is on this list! :D Enough said! ;)

F.U.N is one of the best Plankton episodes for me since it was actually the first sign that Plankton had more to him under his comically evil surface. Part of the reason why I love Friend or Foe so much is because it goes deeper into that aspect.

FUN missed my list but nevertheless, excellent addition to s1. Honestly I like the moral at the end. Could It have been done better with exploring why Plankton's evil? Yes (although Friend or Foe basically covered that years later) but I do think some people just choose to be bad, rather than them being destined to be evil. Plankton could have been redeemed If he really wanted to but he chose to do evil. I think it's an important message for kids to see. That doesn't mean people can't change but some people just don't change, even if we want them to.

• Like 1

Squidville missed my list but it was so close to making it. A place without SpongeBob, is just a parasite for Squidward, yet it's also really boring. When he finally got everything, his whole life became meaningless. Regardless of some of SpongeBob annoying him all the time, SpongeBob balances out his desires with some crazy and nonsensical fun. Sometimes just like Squidward, we need some crazy situations where not everything works out for you. That's how life it is and Squidward missed that part of his life. I loved everythinfg about this episode. From top notch humor to an excellent character study and an unique story arc.

• Like 2

Squidville is pretty good but not top 50 material in my opinion. It's an interesting episode and while there's nothing in it that could be considered bad, I'm afraid it just didn't do enough to make my top 50. Even then, it's a definite must-watch from Season 2.

I love Tentacle Acres as a setting. I just thought it was a great idea for the squids to be such a homogeneous people. Besides having the same interests, I like how they all have a unanimous hatred of sponges and starfish, and how they’re all dicks too. As the episode progresses it only makes the quote “I’m my own man.” funnier. The montage of Squidward slowly getting depression is great too, I enjoy how his expression just gets more and more sad and the music starts distorting like crazy. Squidward’s descent into madness is also entertaining, and his rampage through the entire city is an amazing sight. The music is fantastic too. Happy Go-Lucky serves as a great theme to the entire episode, and War Blowers is another classic.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. ???

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. ???

19. ???

18. ???

17. ???

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. ???

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

• Like 1
  • Happy 1

Squidville is a great episode that touches on pretty unique topics like falling into a pattern that ultimately makes you unhappy and coming to realize that the pattern ultimately needs to be broken. The concept of a utopia is also explored here with Squidward moving into a city that is almost directly tailored for him and still, ultimately, failing to find any happiness. Tentacle Acres is a great setting and a perfect illustration of society more focused on visual appearance than quality of living and the sentiment of the episode has been extremely relatable to my life at times. 

• Like 2

Consider me a huge fan of Squidville as well.  This would be in my Top 50 too and it just missed the cut of my Top 25.

As Homie already touched upon, the underlying message about how some patterns are meant to be broken, even if you’re living in what you would consider an ideal utopia is tackled greatly.  Tentacle Acres itself is such a great location and I mentioned a few posts ago, I do enjoy when SpongeBob builds upon its location settings.

Also that ending is priceless with Squidward blasting off on the reef blower and SpongeBob saying that Squidward sure isn’t that guy.  That’s one of my favorite episode ending quotes of this series and always makes me laugh.

• Like 1

F.U.N. is the only episode so far that's in my top 50, and I'd slot it at around the same place. Just a sweet, enjoyable episode that showed us a side of Plankton we don't get to see very much. Rock Bottom and Squidville are good episodes, too, but there isn't really anything about either of them I found too memorable other than the new places they explored and this montage that's a pretty accurate representation of my own life:

tumblr_lqp2niZrEs1qc2y2to4_250.gif

Squidville is such  unique episode to unique location for Tentacle Acres for Squidward move to new town, but he feels that town turn boring place for him which he realized he actually missed SB which is sad part. I loved the montage of Squidward from smiley to feeling bored transition which works as representation of how his life is like in new places. I also liked the ending which is funny tbh.

Overall, a decent Squidward episode from me.