• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2018!

Wumbo

I can't believe that "Squidville" DIDN'T make my list! o.o I'm pretty sure it has in years past! If I had REMEMBERED about this episode segment, I would have put it in over "I'm With Stupid". In any case, this is a really good episode, that shows that you SHOULD be careful what you wish for; you just might get it. And you PROBABLY will end up NOT liking it! Remember; perfect is NOT the same thing as exciting! It's been a long time since we've seen Tentacle Acres, and there are definitely other story ideas that could be explored there! I can't wait to see what other episodes make this list! :D Enough said, for now! ;)

• Like 2

46. "The kitchen is no place for a live horse!"

Image result for my pretty seahorse

My Pretty Seahorse, 69 points

(4 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #2, jjs)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/My_Pretty_Seahorse

OWM: The characterization here is absolutely legendary. My favorite here has to be Patrick. He takes no part in the action, but those intermittent cameos he has all throughout the episode are completely golden. Mystery is great too. I love her cute relationship with SpongeBob and how her appetite escalates from flowers, then to Krabby Patties, and then to basically everything in the kitchen. Even Squidward has a lot to offer. I love his quote about ordering, cooking and getting food. “We do that for forty years, and then we die.” The bowl of onions gag combined with his growing confusion is awesome too. As for the humor, it’s what pushes this episode into classic territory for me. My favorite long-format joke here has to be Mr. Krabs’ story about his dollar. It’s so boring and mundane, but he feels so emotionally connected to it that it ends up becoming really sad. As for some shorter ones, I love the coin slot gag, the bowl of onions (combined with Squidward’s growing confusion it’s even more golden), and “Just get out of here, you stupid dumb animal!” And finally, the ending is perfect. Not only is it absolutely hilarious, but it’s also a neat way to bookend the episode, considering it both starts and ends with him.

jjs: My Pretty Seahorse is an interesting episode, because it's one I didn't love as much as I do until recently. For the longest time I always slept on this one, but after a rewatch, I love it so much. This is currently my #2 most loved episode. The premise is an adorable one, with a fantastic execution to follow. SpongeBob's plight to keep Mystery is truly interesting, emotional, entertaining and shows how SpongeBob always had his heart in the right place in the pre-movie era when it came to helping others, even if he was a bit naive to what would go on around. To be honest, I'd even go as far as to say this is one of the pre-movie episodes with the strongest characterizations of SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs isn't really "mean" here, as he does sympathize with SpongeBob when he loses Mystery, which is arguably one of the last times we see that fatherly bond Mr. Krabs has with SpongeBob at times. SpongeBob's farewell to Mystery really hit me hard though, considering I've had to say farewell to quite a few pets of mine over the years. I kinda spiritually related to SpongeBob in that regard, making me sympathize with him a lot more and finding this episode really relatable. Mystery was an entertaining one-off animal character too, providing for some funny antics in the episode. Speaking of, there are so many fantastic gags in this one, such as: the "kiddy ride", the bowl of onions, the random ending with Patrick trying to get into the hat store, this, Mr. Krabs' story, "that was terrible", Mystery eating Old Man Jenkins, Squidward's "we do that for 40 years and then we die" monologue...man, there are so many amazing gags in this episode. Overall, a fantastic ride from start to finish for me, and this is an episode I keep coming back to because it has so much replay value for me.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 8
  • God Himself 1

Huh, wouldn't have ever expected it to actually make it on and I can't say I'm the most thrilled as it's not in my top 50. It's a good and funny episode but I have to disagree with the placement. Maybe I just need a rewatch as well.

Squidville: Wow, just 47th??? I really wasn't expecting it to be so low. It's an amazing episode, though not on my list. It's very funny, great characters and characterization, and has a great location. The plot is also sorta relatable in a sad way too.

My Pretty Seahorse: Also an amazing episode, although I prefer its season 11 revival (not rip-off) :pattongue: This episode is hilarious and has a great story, and the characters are great. Also this episode is where :krabseyes: on SBM came from. Ironically, this episode placed 46th on both my list and this list. 

Valentine's Day (#50) 

Rock Bottom (#49) 

50: ???

49: ???

48: ???

47: ???

46: My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

45: ??? 

44: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: ???

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: Squidville (#47)

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: F.U.N (#48)

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

I never really paid attention to how legendary this episode was until very recently. Now it stands among my top 10 favorites.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. ???

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. ???

19. ???

18. ???

17. ???

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

• Like 1

I suppose I should clarify for commentators that I would prefer you to have your commentary ready the day before the episode is set to debut on the list. I plan to post these first thing in the morning, so having the commentary ready before then would be most beneficial to everyone to make sure things go smoothly. Sorry if this wasn't clear! And if you are having trouble meeting the deadline, you can still send your commentary to me after the episode is posted and I will edit it in.

With all THAT said...

45. "Looks like we're going to start our training now, ladies! I call you a lady to humiliate and demean you. It's a motivational tool we coaches use."

Related image

The Great Snail Race, 69 points

(5 of 32 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, SOF)

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Snail_Race

SOF: Ah, Great Snail Race, one of my favorite episodes from s3. I remember how it has divided fans for a while. I even remember choosing this episode for the reboot version of SBC's Weekly Episode Club. Honestly, i wouldn't understand why some users hated it back then. Okay, I get why they hated it b/c of SB pushing Gary too hard on him, but to me I'm perfectly fine with it.

There are lots of good funny jokes i liked such as Squidward's last name misspelling, Patrick having his rock entered the race was a funny & bizarre moment. the animation is still good in terms of s3.

Overall, I really enjoyed this Gary episode personally.

• Happy 8

The Great Snail Race has proven to be one of the most divisive episodes of the pre-movie era, and while I can certainly see why that would be the case, I feel that the episode has enough good qualities to counteract some of the weaker aspects. Some of the most common criticisms lodged at TGSR stem from the abuse Gary suffers at the hand of SpongeBob. While a lot of the scenes in the episode do align with some of the more egregious examples of mean-spirited behavior in the show, something extremely important about The Great Snail Race that I often feel goes unrecognized is that we are not only meant to sympathize with Gary here, but we are meant to detest SpongeBob's actions and see him as Gary's tormentor. Further, the climax of the episode helps SpongeBob to see the error of his ways, which to me is what separates an episode like this from one like A Pal For Gary where SpongeBob fails to see where he's gone wrong. Even without that, gags like Squidward's name constantly being engraved wrong on his trophies and Patrick racing with his pet rock are enough to salvage some of the more difficult-to-sit-through scenes. 

• Like 5

The Great Snail Race doesn't deserve hatred. Yes, Gary was abused but the difference with this and other Gary abuse episodes is that SpongeBob actually acknowledges his mistakes and feel bad about it. SpongeBob's development was great here and tbh Gary abuse wasn't really bad. It felt too over the top and cartoony for me to feel disturbed. Nevertheless I did feel bad for Gary but he got a happy end at least. And the jokes hit hard. It's not on my list but it is another masterpiece from season 3.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Great Snail Race is okay. It's one of the weaker pre-movie episodes for sure IMO, but it still has a few funny gags and the plot itself was pretty well executed. And while SpongeBob may have been a little too harsh on Gary, the Gary torture here wasn't anywhere near as bad as A Pal for Gary or Pet Sitter Pat. The only other scene I didn't like was the one with Gary blowing up as it felt a little needlessly cruel by SpongeBob standards. Overall though, while the episode is nowhere near my Top 50, it does have some good elements and I can totally understand why some people might see it as one of the best.

• Like 1

The idea of snails racing is already a funny concept to begin with, but thanks to some strong jokes here it’s able to become something bigger and better. Rocky is the best, obviously. I like how Patrick has so much faith in his rock from the very start and how he treats it like an actual snail. He’s genuinely touched when it wins too, which gives off a nice positive feeling. I also admittedly laughed at Gary crashing like a car and having a “blowout.” The joke about ladies is great too. I enjoy how it’s treated offhand at first until it comes back at the very end.

50. ???

49. ???

48. ???

47. ???

46. ???

45. ???

44. ???

43. ???

42. ???

41. ???

40. ???

39. ???

38. ???

37. ???

36. ???

35. ???

34. ???

33. ???

32. ???

31. ???

30. ???

29. ???

28. ???

27. ???

26. ???

25. ???

24. ???

23. ???

22. ???

21. ???

20. ???

19. ???

18. ???

17. ???

16. ???

15. ???

14. Valentine's Day (#50)

13. ???

12. ???

11. ???

10. ???

9. ???

8. ???

7. ???

6. ???

5. ???

4. My Pretty Seahorse (#46)

3. ???

2. ???

1. ???

Not on List:

Rock Bottom (#49)

F.U.N. (#48)

Squidville (#47)

The Great Snail Race (#45)

• Like 1

I liked "The Great Snail Race" as well and I'm very aware of the criticism that it gets. I think what most people tend to forget is that SpongeBob eventually comes to the realization that he was pushing Gary too hard. Some people also tend to hate that 'lady' joke, but I thought it was clever.

• Like 4

The Great Snail Race is an example of an episode that gets hate due to resemblances of new episodes rather than being actually bad itself.

SpongeBob's jerkiness is for the story, it's not like A Pal for Gary where it's just a dumb joke the whole way through, it's about how SpongeBob goes too hard on Gary and learns his lesson at the end. That's the point of the episode. I honestly thought Gary crashing was more cartoony than brutal, I mean he looks like a car engine by the end. This one made my list.

• Like 3

Honestly,

if I didn't feel obligated to vote for "Band Geeks" at #1 because nearly EVERYBODY ELSE was doing it,

"The Great Snail Race" probably COULD have entered my list at #25. This is how you do an "Out of Character" episode PROPERLY! o.o You have to SHOW the audience that the way the character is acting is WRONG, and the character has to REALIZE that they were acting WRONG, before the episode comes to an end! :cool: Spongebob does that in this episode, and that's why this episode ends up heartwarming, and GREAT! :D Also, this episode probably has one of the BEST "Brick jokes" in animation history. Spongebob makes an off-hand comment to Gary about calling him a lady to humiliate and demean Gary, and it ends up coming back to bite him in the BUTT when Sandy KICKS his butt for that joke at the end of the episode! :hysterical: I can't wait to see what other episodes wind up on this list! Enough said! ;)

7 minutes ago, 4EverGreen said:

Honestly,

Hide contents

if I didn't feel obligated to vote for "Band Geeks" at #1 because nearly EVERYBODY ELSE was doing it,

"The Great Snail Race" probably COULD have entered my list at #25. This is how you do an "Out of Character" episode PROPERLY! o.o You have to SHOW the audience that the way the character is acting is WRONG, and the character has to REALIZE that they were acting WRONG, before the episode comes to an end! :cool: Spongebob does that in this episode, and that's why this episode ends up heartwarming, and GREAT! :D Also, this episode probably has one of the BEST "Brick jokes" in animation history. Spongebob makes an off-hand comment to Gary about calling him a lady to humiliate and demean Gary, and it ends up coming back to bite him in the BUTT when Sandy KICKS his butt for that joke at the end of the episode! :hysterical: I can't wait to see what other episodes wind up on this list! Enough said! ;)

Actually almost everyone except me has been saying that Band Geeks is overrated so......  

Also you can have your own opinions