• Advertisement

SpongeBob Spin-Offs officially in the works

Jinjo

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nickelodeon-brian-robbins-spongebob-lego-paddington-john-cena-1203139534/

http://www.nickandmore.com/2019/02/14/nickelodeon-upfront-2019/

"The decision to broaden “SpongeBob” may be Robbins’ most surprising move. The series has been a staple of Nickelodeon since 1999, which means it has multiple generations of fans to reach.

“That’s our Marvel Universe,” Robbins said. “You have this amazing show that’s run for almost twenty years.”

While he pledged that Nickelodeon will always make “SpongeBob,” Robbins sees ample room to explore other characters. Among the options on the table are to “tell an original story about SpongeBob and Patrick, or maybe tell a Sandy Cheeks stand-alone story, or can Plankton have his own?” Robbins mused. “I think the fans are clamoring for it."

“Additionally plans are in place to expand the SpongeBob SquarePants universe with spinoffs focused on the core characters into formats such as new series, specials and feature length movies."

Well...looks like a decade of writing fan made spin-offs has finally paid off. Woo? If I was a kid I'd probably be ecstatic about this news, but now...eh. Hopefully they come up with interesting stuff, I guess.

UPDATE: MAY 20TH, 2021

Here is a guide to keep track of all announced spin-off projects thus far, for general convenience:

• Kamp Koral: SpongeBob's Under Years (streaming)
  • The Patrick Star Show (releasing summer 2021)
  • Sandy spin-off movie
  • Untitled spin-off movie

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Confused 12
  • Wow 2

Now, anyone who has seen this post will definitely think of iconic cartoons like Mickey Mouse, Looney Tuunes, Tom and Jerry etc have been marketable projects that have countless spin offs and you'll ask me why I act like this is the first time this has happened. Firstly SpongeBob isn't anything like those cartoons, to me at least. Those cartoons are shorts that were already making spin offs and SpongeBob has been around for 20 years with no spin-offs and it's still contiuning. I know it's like I'm being hypocritical and yes, this wasn't the first Nickelodeon show to have a spin-off (Rugrats, Jimmy Neautron, Loud House...) but why I'm so biased when it comes to SpongeBob is that the show has a special place in my heart and it's all because of the show's creator, Stephen Hillenburg. Him along with the cast and the crew, turned the show into one of the most creative and imaginative shows of all-time. Even in so-so latter seasons, there are sparks of humor and heart put into it. The show had 2 movies and It's having a third one (and we're getting to that for a brief time) and it's like the network has to rely on the show all the time be successful and I get that, I do. No show has ever reached the success SpongeBob had and I understand why these spin-offs shouldn't be a shocker and it shouldn't be worth arguing for. Yeah, you are right. But what I'm annoyed and disappointed about it is that this happens only a few months after Hillenburg's pass away. Granted, this wasn't the first time to fuck you to the show, the third movie is supposedly gonna recton what the show built on in the first place and I was already mad at that concept but this is even more insulting. The fact that Nickelodeon considers SpongeBob their own "MARVEL UNIVERSE", despite the fact that the show was never EVER built on that concept in the first place. Nickelodeon considering "SpongeBob and Patrick" tv show when the show makes a lot of those episodes is a scream for money. SpongeBob is a cash cow but I've never seen this much insulting way to make profit from this show. His death wasn't even long and they are already shitting on his legacy. I don't care if these spin-off will be good in the first place. The fact that this is a greenlit shows Nickelodeon insults dead people's efforts. What a shame, for a network that has built on making "original" shows and inspiring other creators to step up. Granted, Nickelodeon has always been a shitty company, so this news shouldn't be surprising and it shouldn't be turned into a big deal but I hate everything about this. What's next? Crossovers Hillenburg didn't ask for? That would certainly be a thing. Nick has always been a SpongeBob and others channel for a long time but now they are officially SpongeBob Show Universe and don't even try to disagree when the network already claimed they want to be like a shameless rip off of Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

You know what, fine. Have your own shitty recton movies and countless spin-offs that will dry away every drop of creativity, Nick or whoever is behind all this news. SpongeBob is officially a zombie franchise like The Simpsons.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 7

Gonna put this in the nicest way I can; I am not looking forwards to this. Spongebob does not feel like the sort of show that would need spinoffs. It's just not the show's style to pull such stunts. If anything, this is probably the most blatant cash grab Nickelodeon has done with the show in years. Hey kids! Do you want your favorite cartoon to turn into a soulless money machine that the greedy corporate executives at Viacom milk for all it's worth? Even if the argument that it already has become a soulless cash-grab can be made, this is probably the biggest example of such practices in recent years. What makes this worse is, per WhoBob and Steel, there's something really... tasteless about the timing of this announcement being not too long after Hillenburg's death. All in all, this is probably one of the worst decisions- scratch that- THE worst decision that Nick has made regarding the show, and I really hope this either goes nowhere or dies and kills off Nick along with it (preferably both), because at this rate, if Nick hadn't jumped the shark before now, it most certainly has.

• Like 3

I think the important question is do they think Patrick, Squidward, Sandy, Mr. Krabs, or Plankton can carry their own show?

Patrick centered episodes are usually hit or miss, Squidward's role is to be the straight man to SpongeBob, and Sandy...I don't think it would work. We've learned over the years that despite how amusing or funny side characters can be, they sometimes can't handle having their own show (Planet Sheen for example). I agree with mostly everybody, giving this show a spin-off is completely unnecessary. Just because SpongeBob has been on for twenty years? Well, The Simpsons has been on longer and it has never gotten spin-off cuz they know it doesn't need one.

This better be one cruel sick joke.

• Like 1
  • Happy 1

I feel like SB spin-off is very unnesscary to me, and I know it's not going to work. the fact the timing of the announcement is really sad. Even few months after Stephen Hillburg's death, it's still not happen and a lot of spiin-off shows failed through (Rugrats and Jimmy Neautron). If you want to make SB spin-of. Fine, we just don't want SpongeBob to be last forever, and at least end there altogether.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don’t hate this. I’m simply neutral on it. A spin-off of Spongebob could honestly work well in my opinion.... the question is if they do it good. I could see it either being bad or very good. So I’d say i’m neutral on this. Although I don’t like that they probably waited for hillenburg to die before doing this.

Also you guys are absurdly overreacting, like, it’s actually disgusting.

• God Himself 1

The classic seasons had some really good Mr. Krabs and Squidward focussed episodes (One Krabs Trash, Midlife Crustation, Clams; Just One Bite, Dying for Pie, Fools in April, SB 129). The later ones had brilliant Plankton centered episodes. I'm not saying its a good idea tho. The characters became more flat (except for Plankton imo) and always had SpongeBob's shenanigans to bounce off of.

This is fucking ridiculous. They're honestly just killing this show more and more now that Hillenburg is dead and doing whatever the heck they want with it. It's weird as hell news. How is it going to work?

anyway I KNOW WHAT I MUST DO TODAY. WHO WILL JOIN ME???

Edited by President Squidward

I really think this is a nice idea. As long as they're good, screw it, keep making them. Let newer generations know what SpongeBob is. 

Also, people can't say "this Isn'T what Hillenburg would've wanted", because...you don't know what he would've wanted. These were most likely in planning for a while.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Adam Sandler said:

I really think this is a nice idea. As long as they're good, screw it, keep making them. Let newer generations know what SpongeBob is. 

Also, people can't say "this Isn'T what Hillenburg would've wanted", because...you don't know what he would've wanted. These were most likely in planning for a while.

THANK YOU

• Thanks 1

this news is really putting a damper on me. I doubt these spin offs will really be made with love and care for the characters. Maybe that's too early to predict but it sucks that I as a fan can't make it big with stupid ideas but then shit like this can happen.

God, I sound crazy. I'm so sorry. I don't mean it like that, but I doubt a Squidward spin off could pull off well unless someone who's dedicated to the character and wants to see the best of him being used. Such a damn shame that by this point nothing good will ever come from the show.

I guess I'm gonna get debated on with this post aren't I ? might need a break since I sound stupid right now 

• Like 1

kind of late, but yeah, I'm not big on this either. I find it utterly disappointing how much they're continuing to milk our little yellow sponge friend, but can't say I'm that surprised. If they have genuinely good ideas for spin-offs without shit execution, then i suppose it's not all bad, but I've had no faith in Nickelodeon to do anything right anymore for years, and in my eyes, this just shows that they're not willing to improve that image. Whatever they want, I guess.