• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

Professor Squidward went all the way from #5 to to here. That's interesting. I agree that it was just too boring to enjoy.

As for "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?," it was about 6/10 for me, maybe. I didn't find it that horrific just nothing really special. I can easily see why someone would hate it, though. It's pacing doesn't leave much breathing room and seems to want to get a whole serious story going on when SpongeBob really doesn't have the talent to do that. I think the pacing may be due to the fact that SpongeBob is storyboard driven, and these specials, while they need a lot going for them, it's more focused on the actions than the story, so I feel like they just substituted that and tried to get to the plot points. And yeah, I do hate that his close friends kicked him out for complete accidents, and that Squidward and Mr. Krabs had zero feelings for him afterwards, and that literally everyone else didn't care until he unintentionally got rid of that gang only to go back into chaos. (Bubbles are like, the equivalent of smoking, remember) It was all wasted potential, really.

Proffessor Squidward was an ok ep, nothing too special. Feel the same with WhoBob. Both episodes had a couple decent parts but overall were pretty meh.

Professor Squidward: I...really have nothing to say about this one. I chuckled twice at two gags in it back in the day, but the rest, I just found to be dull.

Whatever Happened to Spongebob?: Holy crud, Jjs finds this one worse than Clash of Triton and Spongebob, You're Fired now? That took me by surprise. :P Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of legit reasons not to like it, but it's not the worst episode to me, or the worst special for that matter. At least a few parts of it amused me (like the gag with Squidward breaking the tracking device and the scene with Spongebob and the thugs). The story's a mess, sure, but I honestly got a lot more irritated with CoT and what I watched of SYF. At least WHtS' plot had some sort of logic to it *hint CoT* and was not just a montage of drab filler *hint SYF*. There, that's my comeback. Pay me. XD

I liked WhoBob WhatPants but it felt very rushed. I did laugh at the facial expression and I don't really get the hate for it..

Professor Squidward might be my least favourite episode of all time. I've watched it over and over, trying to see the good points, but it's just so boring and weird. To think this could have been as good as Artist Unknown is very sad to me.

Today I am joined by everyone's favorite, CHA!  Get ready guys because we are getting close to hitting the home stretch.  After today, I'm going to be having two special guest commentators for episodes 20-10.  So please PM me if you are interested.

22. Penny Foolish

102a_-_Penny_Foolish_116.jpg

92 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (#2 Milkmaidman)

While at a discount store one day, Mr. Krabs spots SpongeBob picking something up, and Mr. Krabs thinks it is a perfectly good penny, but he decides it was just a penny, so he forces himself to forget about it. But on the way home from town, every time he sees something circular, he keeps having visions of pennies, and becomes obsessed. The next day, he asks SpongeBob if he found anything, only for SpongeBob to reply that he found a brand new day, not a penny. Time and time again he tries to crack SpongeBob to give him the penny, like having him check all his pockets, and shaking him upside down but instead gets SpongeBob's brain out, until he finally builds a theater behind the Krusty Krab, and he makes admission a penny, so he will get SpongeBob's penny, but he does not have one, so in frustration, he destroys the theater. Mr. Krabs decides he will have a show at the Krusty Krab, to show how he does not have a penny, but SpongeBob still does not have one, so Mr. Krabs breaks. Later, he breaks into SpongeBob's house with a metal detector to find the penny, and when SpongeBob comes in, he shows him it was not a penny, but a chewed up piece of gum, for his gum collection. Mr. Krabs leaves and SpongeBob discovers that it is a five hundred dollar bill. Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs is still digging for the penny, all over Bikini Bottom.

Clappy: I feel like I've been recycling a lot of commentary from two years ago in my thoughts, but most of them have remained unchanged.  This is still as stupid of a Mr. Krabs focal point episode as there ever will be.  I mean he is losing his mind over one penny for crying out loud.  Granted he has done a lot worse like snap at Squidward over losing his first dime or fire his best employee to save a nickel.....

Cha:  A bunch of filler much like Pat No Pay and etc. I guess over time I've learned to be more tolerant this more. But it falls into the category like Growth Spout that it's just Mr. Krabs greedily stealing things as he goes with the jokes barely being funny. I liked how Money Talks executed his cash obsession better. Though the ending with SpongeBob disregarding the 500 dollar bill was funny.

....and I spoke too soon.

21. SpongeBob, You're Fired

tumblr_inline_myhai48jJJ1raqrdk.png

93 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (#1 Halibut)

SpongeBob is at the Krusty Krab and he is making a Krabby Patty. When he finishes making it, Mr. Krabs comes and tells him he's fired. Mr. Krabs says the reason why he's firing him is because he found out he can save a nickel if he cuts off SpongeBob's salary completely. Originally he wanted SpongeBob to work for free, but he found out he can't because it's illegal and he would lose his vendor's license, and SpongeBob starts crying, and floods the Krusty Krab. Squidward tells him he should come back "as a customer," which makes SpongeBob cry again. Then, Squidward congratulates Mr. Krabs for his decision, and asks him who is going to make the patties, and Mr. Krabs tells him that he was a "golden spatula fry cook" in the navy, so he is going to be the new chef.

SpongeBob then goes home, crying about his situation, and then he hears Patrick crying because "SpongeBob was crying," SpongeBob invites him to come inside, before telling him about his situation. Patrick tells him that "being fired is the best gig he knows" and tells SpongeBob he is going to come back the next day to tell him the steps of glorious unemployment. The next day, SpongeBob appears depressed, and Patrick tells him the 3 steps of glorious unemployment or (as Patrick likes to call it, "fun-employment"). The steps are: breakfast with Squidward, taking a mid-morning siesta, and free lunch with friends. First, they go to Squidward's house and step on his plants. So, Squidward throws food at them to go away. That is how they get their breakfast. Next, Patrick and SpongeBob stick themselves to the rock, but SpongeBob falls down. Then, they go to Sandy's Treedome, where she is doing a psychological test, to determine how much stuff (she doesn't even know what this "stuff" is) they eat, for free.

Sandy then tells SpongeBob that he needs to get a job, and SpongeBob tells Patrick that "unemployment" may be fun for him but he needs to get a job. SpongeBob turns from a depressed sponge to a happy and joyful sponge again then he goes looking for a job. The first job SpongeBob arrives at is the Weenie Hut where he gets employed by Mr. Weiner. However, Mr. Weiner soon fires SpongeBob due to him making Weenie Patties instead of hot dogs. Next, SpongeBob goes to Pizza Piehole where he gets hired by Pizza Pete to make pizzas, but SpongeBob makes a Pizza Patty, much to Pizza Pete's disapproval, resulting in SpongeBob getting fired again. Next, SpongeBob goes to Taco Sombrero; he gets hired and makes a Burrito Patty, and Señor Taco asks a customer to taste it. Pilar volunteers, but when he takes a bite, the burrito meat gets into Billy and Frank's faces, so then he gets fired again. SpongeBob then cries an excuse to Señor Taco, but he just strictly fires him. Next and shortly, a crying SpongeBob goes to Wet Noodle, but he gets fired again, and Noodleman throws the Noodle Patty on SpongeBob, causing him to insult the restaurant. SpongeBob is crying while going home. When he arrives home, Gary asks him for snail food, but he says he doesn't have any so he makes a homemade can of snail food for Gary. SpongeBob tastes a bit of the homemade snail food he creates, saying it tastes great. Gary eats the food saying it's the "best food he ever tasted". Patrick also ate the food.

Then, there is a knock on the door, which SpongeBob answers. The Hotdog Minions trap him in a hot dog bun. It turns out Mr. Weiner kidnapped him, and promotes him because of his idea of wiener patties. SpongeBob can't leave because he got chained, until Pete comes along and frees him with Pizza Sauce then kidnaps him with bread. Soon it's a war against all the owners of each restaurant until the Killer Krabby Patty defeats them and takes him back to the Krusty Krab where angry customers are leaving because of Mr. Krabs cooking. Mr. Krabs thanks Killer Krabby Patty, which is then revealed to be Squidward in disguise, for bringing SpongeBob back. Squidward admits that even though he hates SpongeBob, he hates the smell of burnt Krabby Patties even more. He begs SpongeBob to come back and become a fry cook again. Mr. Krabs apologizes to SpongeBob for firing him in the first place since the Krusty Krab is falling apart without him, and rehires SpongeBob. SpongeBob cleans the whole restaurant and gives Mr. Krabs and Squidward a new suit and dress. Mr. Krabs then says that to make up for the nickel he lost, he installed a pay toilet, which costs a nickel to use. The episode ends.

Clappy: Oh man, a lot of you have been asking when this would show up with some of you calling it the worst special ever.  I was thankful they had this for free on Hulu Plus so I couldn't wait to view to see how bad it was....and I was actually disappointed.  Some of you guys were making it out to be terrible and boring...and I thought it was ok.  I mean yeah the premise of this alone is obviously stupid.  Of course SpongeBob was going to get his job back by the end of this.  Because SpongeBob is way too safe of a show to break the status quo.  And there were many other elements of this special that I thought were either boringly unnecessary or flat out stupid...but I still thought this was ok.  Maybe because I found this special something I could relate to since I was recently let go from my job due to budget reasoning.  Obviously not a nickel, but I felt SpongeBob's pain and agony and questioning what to do with his life.  Maybe this is a special I should try watching again somewhere down the line so I can see how bad this is, but for my first viewing, it wasn't all that it was made out to be.

Cha: You know, from the beginning of this episode I felt bad for SpongeBob. This is probably one of the greediest times Mr. Krabs has gotten besides selling his frycook's soul for 62 cents. Literally the rest of the screen time is SpongeBob crying from restaurant to restaurant until a quick "save SB" plot ends the episode. I give the show credit that Mr. Krabs needed SpongeBob back and the scene with Sandy was actually unique. 

• Like 7

#22: Eh, this one has softened up to me a bit. I don't really like it, but I don't mind it either.

#21: Yeah, this one made my list in the Bottom 10 (at #3), just like that other awful special I ranted about. This single-handedly has to be the most boring SpongeBob episode, EVER. How are you supposed to fire SpongeBob, the sea's greatest fry cook, without the reasoning coming off braindead (like it did here)? You really can't find a good way to fire him, because it just does not work as an episode idea. As a minor plot point, sure (Karate Choppers, Bummer Vacation), but as a full-fledged episode? What are you even going to do? Have him work at the Chum Bucket? Welcome to the Chum Bucket already did it. While Bummer Vacation isn't one of Season 4's best episodes, I feel it did the "SpongeBob not being able to work at the Krusty Krab" concept much better than this dull "special" did. The whole special just drags because SpongeBob getting fired is such a half-baked premise to begin with, so they had to stretch it out with pointless filler, like SpongeBob getting fired 4 times. The whole episode just drags and drags and drags for an underwhelming pay-off. There was some scarce comedy (like Patrick's second head), so I don't hate it as much as WhoBob, but this one is just offensively boring. I already wrote a more in-depth review of this special in its discussion topic when it premiered, so if you want more reasoning, see there.

• Like 2

22. I am quite bothered and angered that Mr. Krabs would be derailed to the point of spending thousands of dollars and flat-out breaking in to one's house just for a lowsy penny, and that it was pretty much the same joke for each one. Krabs thinks of a scheme for a penny, SpongeBob doesn't have it. It's just confused and lazy. Although, I did kinda appreciate the irony of it all.

21. This was all the way up at Number Two on my list. While I don't really hate this episodes with a fiery passion, after all, it's really just a cluster of jokes and plot points from past episodes padded out with filler, the main reason it's that high is because I found no redeeming value in it whatsoever. Even with some of the worst episodes, there's at at least a one-off gag or some artistic or realistic thing that showed they tried, this doesn't have that. No, it contains no original content (except maybe the bad puns of Krabs firing SB but that's pretty dull), the story is incredibly slow and uninteresting, with most of it taken from Model Sponge and Le Big Switch with a bunch more, with the majority of it containing nothing, there was no good reason for anything to happen, Patrick was randomly introduced, Krabs fired him for a nickel without consideration of the other consequences, the snail food bit was completely forgotten and caused inconsistency, all the "villains" changed thier mind for no explicable reason, it caused that stupid unemployment controversy, Plankton could have and should have had a major impact on the plot and SpongeBob's character yet he wasn't included, and they ended the exact way they started without any sign that anything happened that day. Even the "I'm Ready" bit doesn't rack up points (look at the transcripts for Mooncation and The Way of the Sponge to see what I mean). Gosh, what is there to enjoy? Just how desperate have the people working on the show become? WHY!?!?!?

And now we reach the Bottom 20, so let's get ready to rumble.  The stink of the stink....allegedly are coming your way.  Today's guests are JCM returning once more and Hayden appearing for the first time.

20. Truth or Square

bobsandywedding.jpg

96 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (#1 teenj)

Patchy the Pirate is waiting for SpongeBob to show up at the TV Extravaganza, with no reply, he thinks back to all of the time SpongeBob gave him no reply, so he goes to find SpongeBob, and ride his boat to Bikini Atoll. SpongeBob wakes up in the morning, with the help of many alarm clocks lined up to the foghorn clock, only to blow out more clocks, this wakes SpongeBob up. He then reveals that it is the eleventy-seven year anniversary since Mr. Krabs opened the Krusty Krab. He then remembered the first time he ate a Krabby Patty, and he apparently loved it, even though he was not born yet when he had it. He prepares himself then he rushes the way of the restaurant when he bumps into other fish in line to get to the restaurant, and he knows that he cannot be late for this, so he jumps over the crowd's heads.

SpongeBob arrives at the Krusty Krab and Mr. Krabs reminds them to keep a close eye on all of the doors, and entrances, including the air vents, to make sure that Plankton does not sneak in. Meanwhile, Plankton was talking to his computer wife about how he was a failure for 50 years of business, so he decides that he would sneak in while the Employees and Mr. Krabs were distracted by the festivities. After Patchy ran off, P!nk and the other celebrities were waiting for their turn in the extravaganza, so they sang a song titled, We've Got Scurvy.

Mr. Krabs then gives SpongeBob the ability to decorate. Squidward reminds Mr. Krabs what had happened the other time SpongeBob got to decorate, but this time he was going to use the resources that he already had in the restaurant, and made it look great, they then went to see the ice sculpture that he had made for the Krabby Patty, but the door locks them in the freezer, so they hire Patrick Star, who had been hired for Security, were locked in the freezer, so they climbed into the duct system to escape, and make their way through a giant maze of air ducts.

Mr. Krabs found a wrapper, from an older Patty. Mr. Krabs then had a flashback from the old Krusty Krab commercial. SpongeBob and the gang then go into another room, and it has many cameras, and they saw that SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward's houses were on camera. Mr. Krabs doesn't know what to say, but there is also two men recording them at that very minute. Meanwhile, Plankton was having trouble trying to find the Krabby Patty Formula, and eventually fell right to the duct the gang was in, while Mr. Krabs had split up to find another way. Patchy is almost to Bikini Bottom when he is eaten by a whale. SpongeBob then remembers the time that Mr. Krabs told him the formula, and Plankton failed to find out what it is because the Mr. Krabs in the flashback threw Plankton down an air duct.

Then they eventually came to the point where SpongeBob was being remembered by Squidward, the times before he moved in and the day that it happened. Mr. Krab's wallet was going crazy about all of the loose change, so Mr. Krabs lets it go to get some money, only to be picked up by an unsuspecting man. They failed an attempt to call Sandy on a radio transmitter to come and rescue them when Patrick destroys it and all of Bikini Bottom came to the play. SpongeBob then remembered a play where he and Sandy are married.

Now Patchy the Pirate was stuck in the belly of a whale, and he played the Scenes of SpongeBob before it aired (including the Squidward, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs theme songs), his camera goes haywire and the whale spits him out, right back into the studio, where he is knocked unconscious and he believed he was meeting SpongeBob, he then was knocked out again, and it was just a dream, the celebrities in the studio then told him he can see SpongeBob everywhere, and he is knocked unconscious again.

At this point, SpongeBob used all of the gang as a battering ram, and got them out, only to discover that all of the customers were gone, and then SpongeBob sang the Krusty Krabs song "Oh, Krusty Krab," which brought all of the customers back and they started singing in a circle, and then the Krusty Krab was in business, and everyone was happy. Plankton, on the other hand, was discovered by Mr. Krabs and was blown into a balloon after he pleads with him not to launch him.

The episode ends with SpongeBob wishing the Restaurant a happy 'eleventy seventh' anniversary.

Clappy: Well here it is.  My least favorite special.  After being tied for the 50th spot last go around, this special has come full circle and leaped much higher this go around.  And far more deserving at that.  This "special" is abysmal for the entire hour.  From way too much filler to easily the worst use of Patchy in any special in my mind to atrocious celebrity cameos to a half dolpin noised plot.  This special is just painful from beginning to end.  I honestly can't think of anything redeeming no matter how many times I watch this and every time I do sit through this special, it just keeps getting worse and worse.  This ended up right at the number 10 line in my Bottom 25 and maybe if I sit through this again based off my trajectory, it could be even worse than other episodes already ahead of it on my worst list.  That's how much I hate this.

JCM: I thought this was one of the better specials, even though the flashbacks and celebrity guest appearances were overused. I liked that they brought back Patchy, who hadn't appeared since Atlantis SquarePantis, and they at least tried to do something creative with the episode, though Community would do the parody clip show much more effectively two years later.

Hayden: This had NO business being an entire hour. It acted like a bottle episode, keeping the characters all in the Krusty Krab. (As if that's something new and exciting to celebrate an anniversary with) Now maybe this special could be forgiven if it at least provided some meaningful memories for SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, and Squidward to reflect on, but it goes in an entirely different direction. Even a mere clip show would be a somewhat fulfilling tribute to 10 years of SpongeBob. Some callbacks to the earlier days. Instead we get the typical filler scenes with piss poor characterization, but with way too much time entirely given to some guest appearances by Patchy and P!nk. As if it should be made all about them. Not to mention the deceptive advertising made it look like some form of big event might happen to change up the status quo. Overall it was just an unpleasant and depressing reminder that SB is stuck in a formulaic rut and doesn't like pushing its boundaries anymore. The trip to Atlantis actually makes a better 10th anniversary special, and that's a dreary thought to consider.

19. Squid Baby

Screen-4443399.jpg

98 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (#1 PatBack)

Squidward is in the bathtub, listening to the radio, but SpongeBob and Patrick, who are playing with SpongeBob's old baby toys, that SpongeBob found in his attic, disturb Squidward.

SpongeBob and Patrick act like infants, then Squidward comes out and yells to them to stop making noise and act mature, however SpongeBob and Patrick do not listen to what he said. Squidward walks back to his house, but he slips on a toy boatmobile. Squidward’s head lands on a scooter, which speeds into his mailbox, causing his head to land there as well. Both injuries to the head cause him to act like an infant himself. SpongeBob and Patrick bring him to the hospital.

At the hospital, a doctor said that Squidward developed a mental disorder called "head-go-boom-boom-itis". That means he is mentally and socially an infant but still aging as an adult. The doctor also said that his head must be safe from any blows. However, later at SpongeBob's pineapple, when SpongeBob tells Squidward it is time for food, Patrick hurts his head by lifting him up all the way to the ceiling. SpongeBob reminds him that they are supposed to protect Squidward's head, not mess it up. When SpongeBob tries to feed Squidward, he does not like his food and spits it all over SpongeBob. Patrick licks the food off SpongeBob's face and thanks Squidward for sharing. Then, they try to entertain Squidward with games. They start off with "Kelpy Cake" (parody of Patty Cake), but when Squidward does it, he ends up slapping SpongeBob and Patrick, sending them flying into the air, and going out of the house into the street. SpongeBob and Patrick follow him, where a truck is about to hit Squidward. The truck driver falls asleep, but Patrick is able to protect Squidward and lift up the road to send the truck flying. However, when Patrick puts the road back to place, he ends up hitting Squidward's head.

Then, SpongeBob and Patrick go back inside and put Squidward in a cage. He ends up crying for many days. Then, a few days later, SpongeBob goes to work with Patrick and asks him if he can watch Squidward while he works, but Patrick, tired from taking care of Squidward, falls asleep on a table. SpongeBob informs an angry Mr. Krabs that Squidward has the mind of an infant and cannot work. Mr. Krabs does not care because he has many customers begging to give him their money outside the door (literally). SpongeBob gets an idea. He brings Squidward to the cash register and puts him in a high chair. When Squidward blows his head on the cash register, SpongeBob duct-tapes him to the seat so he will not bang his head.

When Mr. Krabs lets the customers in, Squidward sucks on a customer's hand and head and SpongeBob stops him. SpongeBob gives Squidward the order papers to write orders on, but Squidward instead doodles on them and throws them into the kitchen. SpongeBob asks him if it will be for there or to "goo." SpongeBob peeks out the order window and sees Squidward doodling on Nat Peterson's face. Nat screams and ends up running out of the restaurant. Pilar scolds Squidward for not taking an order. Squidward types in something then he bangs his jaw on the cash register again and wails violently. SpongeBob thinks Squidward is crying because Pilar yelled at him and SpongeBob tells Pilar he should be ashamed. The customers notice the horrible stench of Squidward's dirty diaper and Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to change it. Everywhere he goes to change Squidward's diaper, people are sitting or getting condiments from or walking on. Mr. Krabs tells him to go out back, where the food is prepared, and change it.

This disgusts the customers, so they leave. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to get Squidward out of his restaurant. SpongeBob cries and tells Mr. Krabs if Squidward is not welcome there, he is not staying either. He ends up slipping on Squidward's baby rattle and winds up in the kitchen, where he bangs Squidward's head on the frying pans and the fire machine. Squidward falls and ice comes out of the machine and lands on Squidward's head, turning him back to normal. SpongeBob is relieved that Squidward is "grown up again" and a confused Squidward asks why he would not be grown up. He notices that he is wearing a diaper and that it is full. When SpongeBob is about to tell Squidward that he was going to change him, Squidward tells SpongeBob to not say another word about that experience, ever. SpongeBob then replies, "Kids, they grow up so fast."

Clappy: Man was I way too nice to this episode when it first popped up on the countdown last go around.  After rewatching this one recently, holy crud has the whole premise for this gotten stupider.  This episode has not held up well and I have no problem with this being on here.  This is as stupid of a Squidward episode as the writers could have possibly conceived.  What a mess.

JCM: When I originally reviewed this, I said it was "better than I expected". Since that was general opinion at the time, I'm surprised it made it this high on the list, though opinions have changed on a lot of other episodes since then. I still have no ill will towards Squid Baby, since the writers did what they could with a pretty bad concept and still managed to churn out something relatively entertaining.

Hayden: SpongeBob and Patrick playing with baby toys is another example of how post movie has decided to ditch SpongeBob and Patrick's charming aspects in favor of flat out infantile stupidity. Back then some of Squidward's pessimism seemed unreasonable, now it's the exact opposite and the writers take the easy way out in writing situations where Squidward has to get involved and pissed off. Like any Squid Abuse episode, although this is probably one of the lighter ones, things fall back badly on Squidward. From there on the episode gets exceedingly uncomfortable. It doesn't help that half the episode spends its time at the Krusty Krab, where Newer Krabs decides that his employee being a baby is no concern to his business. I was watching Pretty Seahorse back a few hours ago, and you know what that did right? Despite Krabs not wanting a seahorse in his restaurant he still was able to have a heart and acknowledge SpongeBob's feelings toward the end. Instead Krabs gets angry, the customers get angry and SpongeBob is stuck in a predicament where for once you can almost sympathize with him if he hadn't taken Squidward there in the first place. To top things off, Squid Baby has to have his diaper changed for more gross out humor. It's a very cringy episode all around and I can see why it got the 19 slot.

• Like 7

Penny Foolish: I... yeah, I never really got the overblown hatred for this one. It's not really a good episode, and yeah, Mr. Krabs is Flanderized beyond belief, but I can think of many, many worse episodes than this one.

SpongeBob, You're Fired: Ridiculously bland episode with a surprisingly tired premise and it just does nothing with it, nothing at all. We've seen the "SpongeBob can only make Krabby Patties" thing in Le Big Switch already, which itself wasn't a very good episode. As you can imagine, the idea does even worse here. Not enough for my personal Top 25, but definitely one of the lesser "specials".

Truth or Square: I still hate this turd. Probably one of the more polarizing episodes in SpongeBob fandom history, but count me as one of the haters. This is my least favourite "special" as well. Stupid guest appearances, Patchy's worst usage EVER, and just a waste of an episode where nothing happens. This is the "Another Simpsons Clip Show" of SpongeBob. Actually, I would have preferred a clip show! Show me funny content from other episodes if you're going to give me nothing from this one.

Squid Baby: Never seen it, never want to. Goo Goo Gas was enough baby shenanigans for me THANK YOU.

• Like 2

22. I love this episode. I love seeing Mr. Krabs go totally off the deep end. I always love when a character totally goes insane over a little thing. It's hilarious to watch. A great episode IMO.

21. Yeah, this special wasn't THAT bad. It was at least an entertaining timewaster. Don't get me wrong, it's a 4/10 episode at best, but it's not that bad as people make it out to be.

20. I feel nothing of this episode. If it's on and I have nothing better to do I'll watch it. This episode is just eh, honestly.

19. This episode has a really stupid plot. With that said, there was some good humor here, I got a couple laughs out of this episode.

I really just dunno man.

Everything else I agree with but man, Truth or Square. I used to really like this one. Best episode of Season 6, pre-movie level episode, best post-Season 4 special- all praises I remember rewarding this episode. But looking back... I just don't know. For this culmination of 10 years of the series, coming in the worst season, perhaps I just felt desperate to like it I guess? Because when I look at it now after some time away, it's changed. The biggest problem?

It's a hyper-extended Krusty Krab episode.

And the kicker is that it's a bottle episode.

It's not boring, to me. It's not even bad, it's just... Disappointing. It's a Plankton episode. Woo. It's a Krusty Krab episode, which I understand- those are the heart and soul of the show, it's core, and this is the 10th anniversary special. But like, at the same time, come on. That's so played. But that doesn't mean you couldn't do a KK episode as the 10th episode; that could work. But the biggest problem is that this isn't even really a Krusty Krab episode, and the best parts of the show are mostly the parts in the Krusty Krab. In fact, this is less a structured episode and more of a mashup of different stuff- Actually, what even is this?

A clipshow? No, because we literally get no references to previous episodes and the material's all new.

An anniversary special? I mean, I guess, but aside from the fact that it was promoted as such, take away the special HD "wow" factor and the extended running time and it's really not that special at all.

A regular special? Again, not really. The plot is literally "SpongeBob and his friends sit in an air vent and reminisce about things that have never been brought up before while Plankton does the same stupid shit lol". Literally could be condensed to an 11-minute segment.

Like I said, it's not bad or even mediocre- for it's plot, a lot of jokes hit. The animation is nice. When it isn't busy creating plotholes or bumbling around aimlessly, it's kind of fun and creative in it's simple inventiveness. However, I just don't understand why this episode was chosen for the definitive 10th anniversary special. 

Paul Tibbitt: Hey, Steve. We've got three specials this season, and Nick is letting one of them have 15 additional minutes and HD animation!

Steven Banks: Wow, that's super cool! What do we have to choose from?

Paul: Well, let's see. There's Big One-

Steve: Didn't Aaron Springer write that one?

Paul: Yeah-

Steve: We're not doing that one then.

Paul: Well, how about Triton? It's not boarded yet, but it's about Neptune, who we haven't seen since Season 1, it's the season finale, and it's got potential for some really deep character stuff and action!

Steve: What about the other one

Paul: Uhh. It's the bottle episode one where the gang gets stuck in a vent and remember irrelevant things for the sake of humor, and it's smack-dab in the middle of the season, in a really weird pla-

Steve: THAT SOUNDS PERFECT!

like, I feel like that's exactly what happened and it bugs me. I mean, ToS isn't terrible. It's a cutaway fest, and extended version of a plot archetype we've gotten hundreds of times with no real relevance on the show and it had a good song I guess? But I mean, HD treatment and an extension on the running time for what amounts to be a rather average bottle episode doesn't make much sense to me. Triton is an awful episode, but that is mostly because of the circumstances surrounding it and how badly it was botched, not exactly the episode itself. The episode's biggest problem is it's pacing, and I just can't help but feel that Triton could have been a glimmer of hope, a truly great and deep episode had it been given the "This one is the 10th anniversary special" treatment. That extra 15 minutes could've turned Triton from garbage to great. But it was given to this one, and everyday I look back and fantasize about what could've been. Just not a great decision. 

Just ugh. ToS, the episode in itself is fine, but I just feel like it gets so much- the HD, the 15 minutes, the best possible team of writers at that point- and is undeserving, not exactly squandering potential outright but at the same time not utilizing it to the fullest, when Triton could've benefited. It just bugs me.

• Like 5

46(1). I find it boring, but not in a bad kind of way, more of just a solid C- to me. Man, was most of the humor dry like the Sahara tho.

46(2). Gross-out episode, whoop-de-doo. The hatred doesn't really get to me much, honestly. To give it credit, it had a clear moral, to nitpick, the ending was rancid.

45. Surprised this actually made it. I can't even think of reasons to hate on this. It's not bad enough to be on here, IMO.

44. I've seen worse "MR. KRABS IS WAY TOO CHEAP!!11 type of episodes.

43. .....I liked the episode. Bite me.

42. I was suspecting any other pre-movie episode to be ranked higher, but MuscleBob BuffPants??? IMO, it was alright. Nothing else to say here.

41. Not surprised to see an episode like Sponge-Cano here. In my views, the Legends of Bikini Bottom saga as a whole was much too bland and uninteresting for my liking, not to say any one of the episodes are one of my "worst."

40. What prevents me from hating the episode is that I've seen worse episodes where Patrick is a jerk, and how the plot intends for Patrick to be a jerk and for the characters to even point that out. In fact, I find Patrick's character to be more annoying in its partner "Driven to Tears" than in here. Heck, Patrick himself goes through the realization near the end.

39. Oh hey, grotesque faces. That means the episode sucks. Nope. The one thing that gets me off-guard is the ending.

38. It gets slammed really hard at times. The only complaint that I'd give is that Patrick's stupidity is just not funny.

37. The episode would've been better if Squidward didn't sound so depressing during a couple scene. I can't say I hated it neither too and that I'd give this at least a C. Not a C- or a C+, just the letter grade alone.

36. This isn't very much of an episode, just repetitive noise.....

35. I would hate this episode if Mr. Krabs never got his karma and/or if Spongebob never grew a spine against Mr. K. Yeah, yeah, Gary abuse and Mr. Krabs going too far....but I have something to say: I can tolerate most of Mr. Krabs' bad actions, because to me, he's a character I love to hate. I never even liked him as a character during pre-movie. Mr. Krabs can be a good character when he acts like a father figure, or some of his over-the-top moments ("Safe Deposit Krabs" for example), but strangely, as much as I hate the scandalous stuff that he does, I prefer how brutal his character can be. I do give credit for some of his likeable moments, but once again, I prefer to hate his unlikeable moments more.

34. And so begins the Squidward Abuse complaints. Like almost everyone else has spoken, I don't think it's that bad.

33. Finally one of the episodes I had on my Top 25 Worst since *ducks* Pranks A Lot. It's not entirely bad, but some criticisms I'd give is jerk Patrick and the plotline itself.

32. Gross object. That means the episode sucks. Nope. At least by the end, the episode gives out a heartwarming feel. There aren't really any jokes that I would point out, but like I said many times already, it's not that bad.

31. I felt guilty to liking this episode when everyone suddenly was tearing the episode to shreds and roasting it on a burning hot fire. Yeah, I do honestly like the episode, but it's not that impressive. If you're one of those people hating on the songs as a whole....how can you guys hate Plankton's weapon song?

30. Suicide reference. That means the episode sucks. Nope. I don't think it's godawful, but I find it pretty forgettable.

29. Now THIS I can really argue with. I can see why a group of you guys hate the episode, but don't write it off because of one flat joke. In fact, I don't think the joke where Spongebob was listing things awkwardly wasn't flat at all, and I'm one of few who finds charm in it. The "charm" I find in the one joke is that I find it funny how Spongebob tries to list things that he, Patrick, Squidward can do without realizing he can't think of anything else. It's downright awkward, but I think that's the point. Not only that, but I think the bit with Patrick and the puzzle piece works too. I can understand that joke, Patrick struggles too long with a simple puzzle piece that he ages drastically, almost as if the joke is using the "not getting any younger" metaphor. At least that doesn't drag on even longer though. I know some of you guys would disagree with me, but as tedious the two jokes can be, it's not lazy, or anything worse. The writers did have more ideas put into the rest of the episode. Goes to show that the writers aren't as good with timing, but again, that doesn't mean the episode isn't worth watching. Oh and Claps, if it's a poor imitation of "The Camping Episode," I ask the question "How does Spongebob rip itself off?" How I'd analyze the two episodes together, the former is about Squidward being forced to stay inside with Spongebob and Patrick because he couldn't bring himself back into his home before craziness ensues (if I remember well), while the latter is about Squidward joining Spongebob and Patrick's little camping trip because he thought Spongebob and Patrick were taunting him and that he thinks he can prove he's a better outdoors-man than the two and screws up horribly, especially when he confronts the Sea Bear.

I'll get to the rest latter. Also, Truth or Square on the Top 20? Now that's another argument I'm going to make.

Penny Foolish: Never really liked this one, never really disliked it.

Spongebob, You're Fired: Uh...yeah, Jjs and OneFluttershy are pretty much spot-on about why I believe this special is worse than okay. It literally is nothing more than filler, and it's not funny or ambitious in the least.

Truth or Square: Uh...yeah, Nuggets is pretty much spot-on. Me five or so years ago, I thought this special was pretty cool, but watching it as I grew older, it kind of lost its appeal on me and I started seeing better what was wrong with it.

Squid Baby: Didn't like what I watched of it, that is all.

24. This made #21 on my list. The episode was boring as sin and a lot of the jokes fell flat in this episode. I don't find anything funny about Patrick riding a locomotive or SpongeBob and Patrick pretending to be metronomes. It could have had the potential to have a great episode, but it just ended up being boring.

23. Yeah, this episode is a huge insult to amnesia episodes everywhere. This made it 38 on my list. Not putting it higher on my list is a huge regret because I remember how much this episode sucks. It seems like everyone in this episode treats SpongeBob like crap in this episode, especially SpongeBob's friends. They call him "Idiot Boy" for accidents, I repeat, accidents that he caused. The Bubble Poppin' Boys are more pathetic villains than Team Rocket or Swiper from Dora. And the gross face. Don't get me started on the gross face. There's a reason why Unsure Squidward is loved and this face isn't. Because even that face isn't this gross.

22. This episode made it #11 on my list. Insane, I know. As much as I love seeing Mr. Krabs go off the deep end (i.e. Squeaky Boots), this episode wasn't really funny at all. It was just very dull and boring. Plus, it flanderized Mr. Krabs. Usually, Mr. Krabs is cheap yet smart, but this time, he was cheap and dumb as Patrick Star. Lemme put it this way. He spent millions of dollars just to get a penny from SpongeBob, only to have it be a dried up piece of gum, which turns out to be a dollar bill. I'm sorry, but I've always hated this episode.

21. This made 43 on my list, actually. It's a pretty bad episode, but it's too dull to hate that much. Yes, Mr. Krabs was once again greedy and stupid for firing his money-making fry cook for a nickel--

Cosmo: But it was a shiny nickel!

--but I will admit, it has some saving points. For example, this was one of the episodes in a while where SpongeBob said "I'm ready" again. Plus, I liked how Squidward saved SpongeBob in the episode. I find this episode to be very terrible, yet somehow more tolerable than other bad episodes.

20. LIES! LIES! WHEN WILL THE LIES END?! LIES! LIES!

Ahem, I mean, this episode is actually pretty decent. I think the only two problems with this episode was because they focused too much on the celebrity guests in the Patchy plot and Nick hyped it way too much like it was going to be the final episode of the series. I mean, the Krabby Patty formula revealed? SpongeBob and Sandy getting married? That sounds like a finale episode to me. Say what you want about this episode, but I still find it miles better than Atlantis SquarePantis. This special actually kept me more entertained and had better songs.

19. Characters who act like annoying babies + disgusting toilet humor + Mr. Krabs not giving a crap about his employees = an example of how not to make a good SpongeBob episode. It made 36 on my list. However, there is one line I like from this episode.

"My face! My face! Also, my leg, but mostly my face!"

Even though Fred Rechid didn't say that line, I still love it.

"Squid Baby" is the only one of the most recent episodes listed that is also on my list, and also one of the FEW I agree with being on there! I am simply AGHAST by how HIGH "Truth or Square" is in this countdown! Does Spongebob and Sandy getting MARRIED mean NOTHING to PEOPLE?!!! o.o And also, I disagree with "Penny Foolish" being on this list, or being an example of Mr. Krabs taken out of character; it fits PERFECTLY in with Mr. Krabs behaivor!!!! :rolleyes: It's also a good bit of irony on how Mr. Krabs ended up spending FAR more money in trying to get ONE penny, than he would've SAVED by NOT trying to get one penny!!!! :D :D :D :D Enough said! ;)

• Hug 1

Well about time I did an update.

39. Face Freeze - This is one of my favourite post-movie episodes up there with Roller Cowards, The Lost Mattress, Krusty Towers and Funny Pants. It has a simple plot template of being warned not to cause trouble, do so anyway, get punished for actions. The faces are brilliant and some of the best animation I've seen this season. Great job guys, great job!

38. Pet Sitter Pat - Oh gee, the episode that's only hated because you know who hates it. For me, I think it's a pretty good episode. It's flawed, but it did get some laughs out of me and I did enjoy watching the episode.

37. Cephalopod Lodge - Considering I put this the highest in my list, you might just guess that I might not like this episode. Let me tell you, I don't. I really don't. The episode could have worked, if it wasn't for SpongeBob and Patrick's annoying behaviour and the fact that the other cephalopods kicked Squidward out all because he was stalked. Remember that Simpsons episode, where Homer follows Lenny and Carl to a club and then gets caught. Did Lenny and Carl get kicked out when they caught Homer? The answer is no. Still a terrible episode for me and it will probably stay like that for a while.

36. Slide Whistle Stooges - I originally hated this episode, but lowered it to a bad episode, because the part where SpongeBob and Patrick were dancing when Squidward was playing the whistle was pretty funny. It's still a really boring episode and there's alot more better Season 6 episodes I could be watching.

35. The Cent of Money - Lowered my thoughts on this one being bad to being ok. Yes, I felt sorry for Gary when Mr. Krabs forced him to do his dirty work, but it's great to see Mr. Krabs get the punishment he deserved at the end.

34. Good Neighbors - Oh boy, it's another hated episode that I think is underrated. I thought SpongeBob and Patrick were pretty funny and all they were doing was just trying to make Squidward's sunday better, even if they do mess it up and get him into trouble. It's a good episode.

33. SpongeHenge - Lowered my thoughts again, but it's still a very boring episode. The movie references like Planet of the Apes saved this episode from being a terrible episode, but I wouldn't like want to watch it again.

32. The Gift of Gum - There are problems with this episode, like Patrick's character at some points and the design of the gumball, but there are also some pretty funny parts like the underwear part, the prison part, the truck part and the ending. These parts don't make it a great episode, but it does make it an ok episode.

31. Atlantis SquarePantis - I recently changed my thoughts on this one. I originally considered this a weak terrible episode, but now it's just a bad episode, because really, my only problem with the episode is the songs, and considering the fact that those songs are the whole episode, you've made a pretty bad one, but the Patchy segments were also pretty funny.

30. Are You Happy Now? - I'm ok on this episode. I respect SpongeBob trying to help Squidward without his annoying behaviour and there are some funny jokes in the episode like the telephone and the ending, but it's also kind of boring and the scene where the artist burns Squidward's statue was a little mean-spirited. The suicide jokes actually don't bother me and I think they included those jokes just so the adults watching the episode will get them and find it funny, although considering their attempt in One Coarse Meal didn't work so well, You can give them respect for having another go at it.

29. Pineapple Fever - Another terrible episode. It's a boring and stupid episode, which is categorised under annoying Squidward. The counting part was an attempt at stealing a joke that Family Guy does great at, but doesn't make it work because of how annoying SpongeBob episode. Nothing about this episode is good and I am dead serious.

28. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful - The episode is also categorised under annoying Squidward, along with a joke that they do too many times and already died the first time they used that. This gag could have worked if the episode 22 minutes and they only used it once every few minutes, but this gag happens every two minutes of this episode, and it goes from a joke to a statement.

27. Summer Job - Not as bad as Boating Buddies, but it's another annoying episode that tries to seem good, but fails on all levels.

26. Plankton's Regular - Another terrible episode for me, with one of Mr. Krabs most jerkish performance on the whole show and a twist which they somewhat did a decent job on foreshadowing, but it's also boring.

25. Big Sister Sam - This episode bothers me, bothers me alot. Ignoring continunity, this episode still has Patrick being an annoying jerkish idiot which is also very boring, which is seeming to be theme in my opinions.

24. Professor Squidward - Take Artist Unknown, throw in Patrick and make SpongeBob and Patrick both annoying. Do I need to say more.

23. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? - This is now an ok episode, since I don't really judge an episode on it's premise, I judge it on whether it's good or not, and this episode is in the middle. This episode's boring, and for a 22 minute long episode, you know you've done something wrong. Not a bad episode, but not something I would want to watch again.

22. Penny Foolish - I don't hate this episode as much as other people. I mean, it's not a good episode and Mr. Krabs also got slightly on my nerves, but there were some funny parts when Mr. Krabs tried to get SpongeBob's penny such as the theater scene, the donation scene and to be honest, it actually is pretty funny.

21. SpongeBob, You're Fired - Oh boy, I knew this episode would be on here. Allow me to talk about my favourite Season 9 episode so far. In my opinion, I found it as a much improved version of the ok Bummer Vacation with it's funny moments and a great ending climax. There are flaws with it such as SpongeBob's crying and the somewhat racism in the restaurants SpongeBob works for, but it's still a great episode and like Funny Pants, I wish more people liked this episode as well. Now this is something I keep mentioning whenever I bring up this episode and I'm gonna say it again for those who are still hating this episode because you 'think' it's trying to promote the wonders of unemployeement to children. Guys, not every episode of a show has to teach a moral, and I believe this the reason why most people Hate Family Guy, because they take a moral they're not trying to give seriously, and I think it's the same thing for this episode. So just a reminder, this is a cartoon. Don't take your political views from a cartoon. Thank you.

20. Truth or Square - Same problems as with Atlantis SquarePantis. Moving on.

19. Squid Baby - This is the only episode I haven't seen and given a verdict on it. That verdict is that it's a terrible episode. Why? They made a poop joke. That is all.