• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

Atlantis: Already explained. I really hate this one and I can't stand sitting through it.

Cephalopod Lodge is complete garbage but it's honestly so horrendous and awful that it's somewhat fascinating and I really enjoyed that Sock Puppet gag which felt right at home in pre-movie, even if that's the only unironically good joke in the whole ordeal. Another honorable mention.

My list:

Spoiler

My List:

4.     Atlantis SquarePantis (#36)

10.   Squidward’s School for Grown Ups (#39)

21.   Gone (#45)

• Like 1

"The Cent of Money" made my list. I don't appreciate Gary getting abused, even if Mr. Krabs got some comeuppance. "A Day Without Tears": An episode plot that could have been done a LOT better! :rolleyes: "Atlantis Squarepantis": Horrible, horrible, horrible (and SHOULD have been ranked a lot higher or lower depending on how the worst list works)! David Bowie was TOTALLY wasted in his role! o.o What they SHOULD have done, is basically just done a bunch of David Bowie's songs as music videos, animated to some brand new "Spongebob Squarepants" animation. THAT would have been a better use of everyone's time! :cool: "Cephalopod Lodge": Another Squidward gets abused/tortured for no good reason episode; I don't like it! Enough said for now! ;)

• Thanks 1

34. Tentacle-Vision

zxEQvas.png?1

87 points. 5 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #3 - @Something the So and So

Summary:

Spoiler

The episode begins with Squidward waking up at 5:00 AM to watch Fab and Fancy on the channel known as Bikini Bottom Public Access. But, to his surprise, the show has been canceled, and is replaced with Zeus the Guitar Lord. Squidward then finds out that they actually give TV shows to anyone. He then calls the network and gets his own TV show.

He is next seen at the Krusty Krab waiting happily to leave and get started on his show. SpongeBob overhears him talking and asks why he is so jittery, but Squidward plugs up his ears with Krabby Patties and leaves before SpongeBob can ask.

Squidward is at his house preparing for Squidward Chat. But SpongeBob then finds out and rushes to Squidward's house to tell him. He then brings Patrick in and they start messing up the show. Squidward tells them to leave, but they refuse to do so. Squidward then gives both of them jobs for the show. Patrick becomes the cameraman and SpongeBob controls the microphone, but they make the show even worse. Mr. Krabs finds out and uses the show as a free advertisement to promote his restaurant, the Krusty Krab. Sandy watches the show and then starts line-dancing on-air. Then Pearl watches the show and decides to show her cheerleading on-air. Plankton watches the show and thinks he could cause more damage with his ray gun. Once he appears, he starts firing his ray gun, which ruins the entire set.

Squidward tells them all to leave and asks them if this is some sort of housewarming. Larry overhears it and everybody comes into his house. The producer comes in and tells Squidward that the show is going great, but kicks a few people out, including Squidward. The show is then renamed Squidward's House Party, which does not include Squidward. Instead, it has Zeus the Guitar Lord hosting. It also has Patrick on the drums, Sandy and Pearl as back-up dancers, SpongeBob on electric keyboard, Mr. Krabs as advertisement, and Plankton as the special effects master. And the worst part is, Squidward just cannot seem to sleep because of all the noise.

Jjs: For those not aware, I've gone on a few tirades on how I hold somewhat of a personal grudge against this episode. Back when this episode premiered in summer 2009, almost EVERYONE on Tv.com was praising this episode non-stop, even going as far as to say, I shit you not, it was "pre-movie quality" (lmaooo). Yet when I saw it, I had no clue what the hell people saw in this episode that made them love it so much. While everyone gave this one glowing reviews, little old me was like "um...okay, but I really didn't find this one funny." I didn't get any of the hype for this one, and it lowkey bugged me that I felt left out of the hype circle. It's telling when even as a kid I wasn't feeling this episode. It was just another Squidward abuse episode without much in the way of actual wit. Yay. What a fantastic way to start Season 7. I don't see what was so special about any of this episode. The concept of Squidward having his own television show could have honestly been funny, but this was stupid. The middle is really ruined by SpongeBob and Patrick, who were also once again really not funny and annoying in this one. The last half especially is stupid and drags with how Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Pearl, Plankton and everyone all get shoehorned in out of nowhere to randomly mess up Squidward's show. The ending also sucks as well. I guess Zeus was a cool character but he wasn't really in the episode long enough for it to matter. That being said, it didn't make my list because hating the episode over other people liking it is silly, and to me there are worse S7 episodes. But all of the unnecessary hype this episode got on Tv.com kind of soured this one for me as the years go by. Needless to say, I don't mind that it's on here again.

Patty: The thing about Squidward torture episodes and why they're so disliked is mainly because you're not really given a reason to not root for Squidward. The writers seem to think right off the bat that you hate Squidward and enjoy seeing his enjoyment crushed by the characters they think you're rooting for. This is present in almost every Squidward torture focused episode that fans despise, and Tentacle-Vision doesn't exactly qualify as an exception. The beginning starts off solid enough, with some pretty good humour ("Oh yeah, I haven't made the coffee yet") and even when it begins the Squidward torture, it does start off subtle enough to still be enjoyed. That is until the episode is mid way and SpongeBob and Patrick's repeated interruptions begin to lose their grasp and become more annoying than funny. Of course, there's the part where Mr. Krabs then rudely interrupts and things get worse along the way (though Plankton's parts were clever enough not to be enjoyed in this otherwise cringy moment). Following this, Squidward's plans are ruined like he's the villain, despite the writers forgetting to give Squidward a motive for being the villain. The episode ends with Squidward being the one punished and the characters, which some viewers may or may not be seeing as the villains of the episode, rewarded. While I defiantly no longer think the episode deserves to be this high on the list I submitted (though that was the list I submitted back in 2015 and my opinions have changed a lot since then) the episode does still carry the annoyance and cringy torture-based jokes that accompany these types of episodes. Squidward torture has been done right in various other episodes, but sadly this isn't one of them. Verdict: I didn't like it.

33. The Play's the Thing

m2I8ETh.jpg?1

87 points. 6 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #4 - @Something the So and So

Summary:

Spoiler

Norton the mailfish goes to the Krusty Krab with a letter for Squidward, who is not at his post. SpongeBob sees this and inflates some balloons, shapes them into Squidward's form, and stands at the cash register, impersonating his co-worker. Squidward's nose blows up and the mailfish nervously gives him the letter. He then runs out of the restaurant, screaming.

The balloons pop, waking up Squidward, who was asleep under the register. When he sees the letter, he becomes jubilant and SpongeBob joins the cheer. Mr. Krabs comes out and asks what Squidward's so happy about. Squidward tells him his script was accepted and that he quits. He walks to the front door, reading his letter. However, when he learns his script was not accepted, he turns around and returns to his post. SpongeBob gives him the idea to perform the play at the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs refuses to allow it at first, but when SpongeBob says he can charge customers double for the show, Mr. Krabs goes for it, but with one warning: if so much as one Krabby Patty is late, he'll shut Squidward down. SpongeBob suggests the event be called "Singy Eaty Time," even though Squidward says that there is no singing involved. Despite this, Mr. Krabs loves it.

The Krusty Krab holds auditions for parts and a long line of anchovies await their role. When they learn they won't be paid, they make a hasty retreat. All that's left is SpongeBob, whom Squidward dejectedly says has all the other parts.

That night, some people go to the Krusty Krab for Squidward's play. When the curtains rise, the cashier's post is replaced with a cardboard version and Squidward recites his lines. A fish comes along and asks for a Krabby Patty. Squidward shoos him away, but Mr. Krabs pops out from the window and reminds Squidward of his warning. Squidward delivers the order to the table, reciting lines which criticize the customers and the food. Squidward returns to the stage when a customer wants a refill. Squidward shouts at him, but Mr. Krabs orders him to fulfill the customer's request. Squidward walks over with a bucket of soda and splashes it on the customer. When Squidward returns to the stage, a customer wants ketchup on his patty, and Squidward squirts him with the condiment. Mr. Krabs again reminds Squidward of his warning, to which Squidward calls Mr. Krabs his "skinflint boss." Mr. Krabs is about to get angry, but Squidward tells him it's part of the play.

Squidward refers to the worst part of his job, SpongeBob. The stage rotates, so the audience can see the side of the kitchen with SpongeBob, who thinks he's forgotten the lines. Squidward tells him to act like himself, so he acts like a garbage truck, flinging a bag of garbage at Squidward. Two fish try to get their orders, but Squidward ignores them, reciting his lines. The customers finally lose their patience and angrily demand Krabby Patties. Mr. Krabs tells Squidward that they haven't gotten their orders, and Squidward asks SpongeBob (still acting like a garbage truck) where the patty is. SpongeBob goes back to normal but sees the patties are now burnt. He apologizes for ruining the food, but Squidward serves the burnt patties to the customers, despite SpongeBob's warnings that they're not fit for consumption.

The customers are not happy with the quality of their meals, and Squidward tells them they wouldn't know quality "if it hit them in the head," to which a customer hurls his patty at him. The rest of the customers are eager to join in, but SpongeBob encourages them to respect the Krabby Patty. He has won them over, but when Patrick says he likes to throw food, a food fight breaks out. Mr. Krabs sells customers things to throw at his employees.

When the food fight is over, Squidward and SpongeBob are badly injured and Mr. Krabs tells them he has two more shows due to the success. Because of this, Squidward and SpongeBob laugh maniacally and Squidward gets hit by another Krabby Patty while SpongeBob is still laughing.

Jjs: This choice might surprise a few people, and yes, this is the first time it has made it on a countdown. You may be saying to yourself "...This episode exists?" I wouldn't blame you if that was your reaction. I was surprised too to see this make the list, considering I always forget it exists as well and I had no clue it had so much dislike. If there was an award for "The Most Forgettable Episode in SpongeBob History", I honestly think this episode would win it. I always blank on this episode's existence, and I feel if this episode never existed, nobody in the world would care. It's that forgettable. All I remember about this episode is that it was a cheaper version of Culture Shock without any of what made Culture Shock interesting. I know this is seen as another "Squidward Abuse" episode, and while I don't think his treatment is that bad compared to others, the episode itself was just...bland. The biggest crime it committed to me was being utterly unremarkable and pretty dull. It added nothing new or clever to the series. Especially when Culture Shock did everything this episode does much better. Whether if the episode deserves to be on the countdown at all, I actually don't know. I have not seen this episode at all since 2012, and I'm basing most of this off of a hazy memory, so I'm probably not the best person to really judge it from here. I'll let the highest ranker himself take it away, along with another point of view.

Trophy: Given that this only made my list last time and hasn't made any others, it's a pleasant surprise to finally see this on here. This seems to be that one "Squid Abuse" episode that's always been forgotten until now, and it is worse than mostly every single one of them save for Ink Lemonade and Smoothe Jazz, but given that this and Smoothe Jazz were in the same post movie era, this one often gets overlooked while it's nearly just as bad as Smoothe. Instead of giving any hope for Squidward enjoying one of his interests like Smoothe did, this one straight up bores you from the start as it does absolutely nothing interesting with the concept of stage performance at all and is one of the biggest wastes in the show. Not because I'm too interested in theatrical arts, but because this focuses on all the wrong things. No, I don't want to see Squidward have to deal with customers like he's a regular server while boring everyone to death, I don't want to go on about whatever the hell SpongeBob is doing backstage with all his beeping, I don't want to see garbage, I don't want to see angry customers not get their patties, and I definitely don't want to see Patrick show up and start a food fight where an anchor is thrown for whatever reason! This isn't textbook Squidward abuse in the normal sense since he doesn't get beat up until the ending, but the episode drags on for so long, does nothing with its premise, has Squidward botch his dreams because "lol Squidward's a butt monkey", and has Patrick show up out of nowhere to start something about food, in this case food fights, just like he arrived late in Smoothe Jazz just for the sake of rubbing salt into all the wounds. There's also the ending shot of SpongeBob just...maniacally laughing as he's lost all sanity. That's me after this episode. It's meta, but in the worst possible way.

More: Sigh. Another day, another example of why Season 7 was so dull. It's been pretty well reported that this is nothing more than a bootleg "Culture Shock" and I can't disagree. I'm confused as to what the story exactly is here. At least the Season 1 episode had a wide variety of acts played and an interesting dynamic between SpongeBob and Squidward. For much of "The Play's the Thing", it's just Squidward talking to himself, wallowing about his woes working at the Krusty Krab to the audience even though both the viewer and the customers know that already and get bored. The Krusty Krab setting is tired and there's very little conversation happening during the show. On top of that, I can't think of a single joke here that was funny. It's not a good sign when the first few minutes exist for no reason other than to delay the conflict as the Mailman-Baloon exchange is just a generic "Squidward sleeps on the job" gag that doesn't tie to anything later. The rest are nothing special. Next it's just Squidward's wallowing being interrupted by customers repeatedly, then the ending food fight gets surprisingly violent: it's neither visually interesting nor provides a satisfying conclusion to the play. Overall the episode wasn't infuriating enough to make my list, but it was a big enough waste of time that its spot in the Mid-30's is warranted.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 5
  • Happy 1

Tentacle-Vision is just my guilty pleasure. I agree with all of the criticisms but it was so nonsensical, I enjoyed it. I haven't seen the episode in years tho, so my opinion might change.

As for The Play's The Thing, yeah. it was so mediocre and forgettable. Culture Shock had much better plot and better jokes, this was just boring and uninspired.

• Like 3

the really egregious aspect about the plays the thing is you can tell that they went into it with virtually no idea how they’d string together all the incoherent plot aspects they’d tried to jam together, plus wtf is with patrick introducing that last minute food fight at the end, someone at nick studios must’ve been on their deadline with this one and had to come up with something quick to finish it off!

i think tentacle vision has a few redeeming funny moments but ultimately seeing squids house get wrecked and him getting kicked out of his own show was more frustrating than funny. still i found zeus the guitar lord to be a nice addition, plus his scenes are all that stands out to me when i think back on this one. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Think it's safe to say I agree with both of today's selections :hehe2:

Atlantis is a blob of no substance that missed my list while Lodge made mine as well. 3 in a row on my list, will probably be the highest consecutive number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tentacle-Vision : This episode is sorta forgottable to me. I felt like  episode goes rcocky start for s7 is "eh?" episode. Honestly, i didn't like SB & Patrick ruined Squidward's show (Well EVERYONE came to his house is just...what?). Hellm, even Mr Krabs, Plankton, Sandy & Pearl suddenly popping in is running gag to rub Squidward is makes me sad. The only good part of this entire episode is Zeus the Gutitar Lord considered to be so bad, it's good way moment to me personally.

Overall, it's just bad attempt to annoy Squidward's show (especially SB & Patrick for most part of it).

The Play's the Thing : Huh? didn't expect this to be on the list.

This episode honestly I always forget this existed. In fact, I don't even remember at all what' happened...I guess I find myself confused as cheap version of Cultuyre Shock, but it had some mement try to be like me liking this episode, right? Nope, this episode bored me as hell. I can't even stand it. Maybe Squidward is trying to be like SB from "As Seen on TV: as attempted to act like this or there.

Not only this episode bored me the most. It's the fact how lazy it was, and it was even more duller than this version of "As Seen on TV" to me. But yeah, it's dull & boring Squidward episode IMO.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, to say Tentacle-Vision is pre-movie quality is an insult to pre-movie. An awful episode that wastes a good premise. The episode just completely devolves into nonsense and all the jokes are the same. Someone sees Squidward's show, then comes in to ruin it. Terrible episode.

Like The Cent of Money and A Day Without Tears The Play's The Thing is so forgettable I have nothing to say. Like those 2 episodes, I remember disliking this one as well, but it left no impact on me.

• Like 2

Tentacle Vision: I actually think this one is okay, I think it actually at least has some good jokes until the part where Squidward gets kicked out of his own show (which is when it becomes terrible, but whatever, there's like 1-2 minutes left at that point)

The Play's the Thing: I kept saying this episode was okay for a while, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized it's bad, since it's boring and has so much unfair squid abuse. Still wasn't on my list though

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: The Play's the Thing

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: Cephalopod Lodge

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

Tentacle-Vision can be summed up as "House Fancy 2.0", except even more unnteresting. There was only one line I liked here ("This is disgusting!") and otherwise, this episode is just BLAND.

The Play's the Thing is one of the most forgettable episodes of the entire show. I haven't given it the time of day to watch it again, but from what I remember, it's BORING, even worse than Professor Squidward (that's an accomplishment).

• Like 1

32. Are You Happy Now?

ZQzyOzo.jpg?1

90 points. 8 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: 2 #5's - @WumboJack Horseman & @Halibut

Summary:

Spoiler

On a fine day at the Krusty Krab, Patrick is behind the restaurant climbing out of a dumpster eating a leftover Krabby Patty. The camera then pans over to SpongeBob, showing him reading the Krusty Krab Work Schedule book, much to Squidward being annoyed. Squidward picks up the book that was reading SpongeBob and questions on what's so great about it. SpongeBob then claims that the book has a list of "his happiest memories." Squidward takes the book and "accidentally" drops it on the grill. However, SpongeBob has multiple copies of the book in a cabinet, which he proceeds to get one. SpongeBob then asks Squidward if he has the happiest memory, in which he says, "No." Feeling concerned, SpongeBob tries to ask Squidward if he can help make the happiest memory for him, which he accepts.

First, SpongeBob takes Squidward to a concert; that did not go well, however, since the violin player accidentally shot Squidward in the eye with the violin bow (like a bow and arrow). Then, both of them head to the Bikini Bottom Museum where one of Squidward's masterpieces is in the museum, which is praised by critics. Squidward is happy until a famous art critic named Fiasco burns his artwork with a flamethrower. In addition, after that, SpongeBob takes Squidward on a hot air balloon ride. That doesn't go well, since Squidward is afraid of heights, so SpongeBob tries to get Squidward down by popping the balloon (because the balloon has no heater to make it deflate) and both of them land on a mountain which is actually Mount Bikini, ruining Harold's chance to be the first one on the mountain. Then, SpongeBob, Squidward, and Harold slide off the mountain due to an avalanche. When SpongeBob and Squidward slide back to their homes, Squidward insists that he will never have a happiest memory.

Two weeks later, Squidward is left in his house doing nothing but being unhappy. SpongeBob then becomes even more concerned for Squidward and tries to get a hold of him, but to no avail. First, he and Gary go up to Squidward's window and Squidward closes the curtains then SpongeBob suddenly falls off Gary along with Gary's shell and SpongeBob gets stuck in it and crashes into Squidward's house and breaks it. Second he tries calling Squidward up and Squidward throws the phone into SpongeBob's house and Gary gives it to SpongeBob (while he is holding his phone) and SpongeBob yells through the phone and gets an ear hurt and both the phones go dead and Third he comes out of Squidward's printer and Squidward shreds him to pieces, dumps him out the window and Gary puts him back together. He then traps Squidward in a box and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he reveals that he created a party to try and cheer Squidward up. Unfortunately, SpongeBob failed to get anyone else to come, because some of them were busy or sick, so instead, he made 100 papier-mâché life-sized models of himself. Squidward hates seeing more than one sculpture of SpongeBob in one place so he goes berserk, destroys all the papier-mâché sculptures, and claims it to be his "happiest memory."

Jjs: This made my list again at #17. This is such a stupid, cringy and unfunny episode. Whatever suicide jokes they were going for with Squidward don't bug me honestly, as unnecessary as they were. No, my biggest problem with this episode is that: it's literally not funny. I did not find anything in this episode entertaining. None of SpongeBob's antics to cheer Squidward up amused me. And the ways Squidward gets shit on aren't funny either. Haha, Fiasco melts his statue, hilarious. It's also a terrible premise for an episode. Even though Squidward not having a happiest memory contradicts a lot of prior episodes, that's not an issue. The show has managed to break continuity entirely and still make good episodes out of it before. This, in my opinion, does not. Squidward not having a happiest memory isn't interesting subject matter for an episode, and it shows with the execution, because honestly, in addition to not being funny, I was pretty bored too. Oh and I HATE that ending so goddamn much. It's jarring and so disconnected from everything that it feels like they were rushing for a resolution at the last minute. One of the worst endings in SpongeBob history for sure, and it also shows the terrible tone of this episode. The episode is so tonally confused on whether if we're even supposed to take Squidward's depression seriously or not, and an episode that's tonally confused is a bad episode to me. SpongeBob's whackiness doesn't bounce off of Squidward's depression in any good way to make a clear tone. SpongeBob can tackle serious stuff if it wants to, but this was a mess. To answer the question the episode title poses: No, not really.

Wumbo: Here's the difficult thing about this episode: there's actually quite a few things in it that work. There's a couple funny jokes, like with the mountain climber. SpongeBob takes on some interesting forms visually. But that just goes to highlight what's wrong with this episode: that it exists at all.

Now, I'm of the mind that anything can be talked about or even joked about as long as it's done properly and within the right context. BoJack Horseman, a show I've recently gotten into if you couldn't tell, handles topics of depression superbly while still managing to have a wicked sense of humour. I'm not saying that SpongeBob can't do the same, but... not like this. Never like this.

With this episode, SpongeBob goes way out of its depth to tackle topics that are so tone deaf I'm not even sure they realize how serious of territory they cross. This isn't a fun episode, and it's not a smart one either. SpongeBob has always played it light with Squidward's butt-monkey status. Even in the worst "Squidward abuse" episodes, the misery Squidward faces is treated as trivial or temporary, or it pays off into a great ending like Band Geeks. This episode aims to pull back the curtain and really take a dive into Squidward's psyche. And like I said, this could work if the show had any goals to be tasteful or respectful of the topic it was covering.

Instead, we get jokes about Squidward putting his head in the oven, but OH NEVER MIND HE'S JUST BAKING BROWNIES! Squidward looks like he's about to hang himself, but NOPE GOTCHA HE'S HANGING A BIRD CAGE! You can't fucking do these jokes when you've established that Squidward's depression is a thing to take at least semi-seriously. It is a beyond tasteless approach, and the writers would have done themselves good to just stay away from this topic altogether if they were going to do it so haphazardly, without an ounce of thought.

So that's why it's in my Top 5 worst. It goes beyond being a bad episode, it is downright insulting and disrespectful. And no amount of papier mache SpongeBobs or mountain climbers can save it.

BeachBob: Are You Happy Now always seemed like a very very hated episode, that's why it surprises me as #32 on this list. However, this episode almost didn't make my own list, since it's only my #25. That's right, I didn't completely hate it, but it's sure up there with my other least favourite episodes.

When I first saw this, I thought some of the visual jokes were funny, like SpongeBob trying to reach Squidward, and heck, even the dark jokes hinting at suïcide I thought were clever. But the way Squidward is in a bad place all the way through, and his bad luck being super unfunny, I thought the humor really failed in this one.

The worst part for me? THE ENDING. The ending totally ruined it for me! Squidward doesn't get happy, he goes mad on frustration! That's terrible. It's like somebody's depression snaps into violence. The fact that it sounds like it's a thing in real life is probably not a good sign. Also the title is VERY belittling against people who suffer from depression. 'Are You Happy Now?' sounds like 'bro, you still not grateful for what you got?', which I think does not have a very respectful sound to it.

And while I can understand the plot wanting you to think that Squidward is happy to destroy all the SpongeBobs, the episode ends after SpongeBob remarks how handsome Squidward is..... WHAT?! This might be the worst line in a SpongeBob episode ever! Why, just WHY did he have to say that? It's super duper irrelevant and a terrible way to end the episode on.

Lastly, I guess we have to talk about the 'suïcide jokes'. Like I said before, I just thought they were clever the first time. It's cool that the writers dared to be so dark when most children won't get it. I truly think that is genius. However, after all the hate that it got, I have to say that, after rewatching, the jokes are a little distasteful. Maybe some children have experience with a family member hanging themself. And I have to say it might be a little too dark to portray Squidward as someone that is actually attempting to kill himself.

For me, the controversial jokes didn't ruin my enjoyment of the episode. The uninspired and terrible ending and the predictable and cheap jokes revolving around SpongeBob's attempts to make Squidward a happy memory ruined it. I get the overall hate for this one, and I wonder if the writers were trying to make this episode resemble the so-called fan-fiction 'Squidward's Suicide'.

31. Pineapple Fever

fLRszh9.png?1

92 points. 8 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #4 - @Patty Sponge

Summary:

Spoiler

It’s morning time at SpongeBob’s house. SpongeBob looks out of one of his windows, yawns while doing some morning stretches, and looks at one of his doors. SpongeBob comes out of his house with a pair of goggles over his eyes and a jellyfish net. He clears his throat. SpongeBob walks over to Patrick and asks him if he is ready to go jellyfishing. Patrick at first says “No” to SpongeBob, but then Patrick says “Just Kidding” as he holds up his jellyfish net with two scoops. Patrick says his double net is three times as fun, but SpongeBob thinks it would be twice as fun. Patrick then says that he and SpongeBob should probably check the weather report before they go jellyfishing. Back at SpongeBob’s house, Patrick and SpongeBob are watching the weather report on TV. The weatherman says today's weather forecast calls for a horrible storm that will ravage the Bikini Bottom area. Also, an advisory has been issued to avoid any and all jellyfishing if possible. The TV is turned off and SpongeBob asks Patrick to help these boards nailed up. Patrick says that this seems like a strange time to start decorating. SpongeBob says to Patrick that he obviously does not recognize fine decorating when he sees it. SpongeBob goes up to his big bass on the wall to show Patrick what he is talking about. SpongeBob says to Patrick to admire it later because, right now, they have got to get SpongeBob’s house converted into a shelter capable of withstanding extreme weather. SpongeBob has also accidentally stepped on a nail.

The scene cuts to Squidward’s house where Squidward is in his bathroom humming and tweezing his eyebrows. Squidward gets hold of one eyebrow hair and has to do one quick flick of the wrist to remove the eyebrow hair. However, next door at SpongeBob’s house, Patrick angrily nails a hammer really hard which causes Squidward to rip off a whole eyebrow and hit his head against the toilet. Squidward is angered by this. Back at SpongeBob's house, SpongeBob and Patrick are hammering his front door. Once they have finished, SpongeBob says now his house can withstand anything nature has to throw at us. Squidward angrily knocks down SpongeBob's front door and SpongeBob asks Squidward if he came to weather out the storm with him and Patrick. Squidward is confused what SpongeBob said about a storm and is told by SpongeBob that Phil Preflumster, the weatherman on the news channel, said there was going to be a storm today. SpongeBob says to Squidward that it will be fun! While the weather elements rage outside, Squidward, SpongeBob, and Patrick can snuggle in SpongeBob’s pineapple house and pass the time by playing board games, and playing tic-tac-toe, and drinkin' hot cocoa, and playing more tic-tac-toe, and doing jigsaw puzzles, and watchin’ TV, and so on. Squidward says that he will pass on that, but SpongeBob says he will let Squidward borrow his huggly snuggly bunny slippers. Squidward says he will have to think about that, but Patrick really loves SpongeBob’s huggly snuggly bunny slippers. Squidward starts to leave when a bolt of lightning strikes. It’s starts to rain and Squidward comes back to SpongeBob’s house burnt from the lightning strike. SpongeBob welcomes Squidward back and gives him SpongeBob’s huggly snuggly bunny slippers. Now Squidward is stuck indoors with SpongeBob and Patrick during a storm.

Another bolt of lightning strikes and the lights inside SpongeBob’s pineapple house are off as SpongeBob uses candles to make light in the living room. Squidward says he liked it better before when he could see. SpongeBob says the the lights went out and according to Squidward, the lights went out when SpongeBob turned off the lights. Patrick spits out his cocoa and says he never realized how delicious SpongeBob’s hot cocoa is. Squidward suggests they play those games that SpongeBob promised. Outside of SpongeBob’s house, another bolt of lightning strikes that causes impact on SpongeBob's pineapple leaves. Inside SpongeBob’s house, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward are about to play tic-tac-toe. Squidward says they don’t roll to see who goes first and Patrick says they do rock, paper, scissors for it. The three of them play rock, paper, scissors but end up getting ties. Shortly later, Squidward says he wins while holding a tic-tac-toe board already made crossed off the X's. SpongeBob and Patrick thinking about this and say they are not seeing anything there. Squidward says it's three in a row right here. Tic-tac-toe! SpongeBob says to relax Squidward because they are just here to have fun. SpongeBob then takes out a rulebook for tic-tac-toe and flips through pages. Realizing that Squidward actually did win tic-tac-toe, SpongeBob and Patrick congratulate Squidward for it. However, Squidward is upset by this for some reason. Next, SpongeBob and Patrick are doing a jigsaw puzzle but Patrick cannot figure out where this piece of the jigsaw puzzle goes. Patrick is taking so long at solving this that he starts to turn into an old man. SpongeBob says old Patrick still got a good few years left in him. Old Patrick can’t hear what SpongeBob is saying so he holds up an ear trumpet and SpongeBob starts yelling “Go, Patrick, go!” into the ear trumpet repeatedly. Squidward is sleeping on SpongeBob’s couch and then wakes up angry because of SpongeBob yelling into old Patrick’s ear trumpet. Squidward tells SpongeBob and Patrick that he was trying to take nap and before Squidward can finish what he saying, SpongeBob interrupts Squidward to tell him that Patrick was just about to figure out where this piece of the puzzle goes. Squidward says to SpongeBob and old Patrick it’s the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle and there is one place it can go. Squidward points with his hand to where that place would be on the jigsaw puzzle. SpongeBob gasps at this and says that it wasn’t Squidward’s turn which he considers cheating. Squidward says you can’t cheat in a jigsaw puzzle. SpongeBob decides to start the jigsaw puzzle all over again and jumbles the puzzle pieces. Squidward can’t take it and he runs out of SpongeBob’s house while the storm is still going on. Squidward comes back to SpongeBob’s house burnt from another lightning strike. SpongeBob welcomes Squidward back again and they were about to figure out where the first piece of the puzzle goes. SpongeBob thinks Squidward can figure out where the puzzle piece, but Squidward says he has an even better idea which is a game called "boundaries." Patrick asks if there will be any spelling in this game and Squidward says there is no spelling. Squidward explains that the game is very simple. The object of the game is to see how long everyone leaves Squidward alone until the storm passes. Squidward will stay inside boundaries, he'll define by chalk lines on the floor. SpongeBob asks Squidward on where he is going to get the chalk and Squidward says that he brought some with him. Squidward then walks upstairs with the chalk and he is at the top of the stairs, he draws a chalk line, throws the chalk down the stairs, goes into SpongeBob’s bedroom and closes the door.

In SpongeBob’s bedroom, all Squidward has to do is sit and wait until this storm blows over. Squidward’s stomach starts growling and Squidward realizes that he is starving. Squidward searches around SpongeBob’s room for food. Squidward comes across a bag that has a sock covering up the first word and the second visible word on the bag is “food.” Squidward starts eating the stuff inside the bag as Gary the Snail meows at him. Squidward is surprised by the taste as he removes the sock on the bag and finds out he is eating snail food. Squidward spits the snail food out of his mouth and says that he has got to get some real food while leaving SpongeBob’s bedroom. Suddenly, SpongeBob is now dressed as a security guard and says to Squidward that nobody is to cross this chalk line boundary. Squidward claims he is the one who drew the line and SpongeBob is not supposed to cross. SpongeBob says if Squidward is the one who drew it, let me see some identification papers. Squidward looks in his pocket and says he does not have his identification papers with him. If Squidward can cross the chalk boundary, he can go and find his identification papers. SpongeBob thinks Squidward may be telling the truth, but then again he may also being lying. SpongeBob tells Squidward to come with him as they shall find out the truth. Squidward is angered by this and crosses the chalk line boundary. SpongeBob blows his whistle and chases after Squidward down the stairs. Squidward makes it towards SpongeBob’s kitchen and starts taking food out of SpongeBob's refrigerator. SpongeBob notices this and jumps out of his security guard costume leaving him in his underwear, and jumps on Squidward's back. Squidward starts running around SpongeBob’s living room, with food in his hands while 

SpongeBob is still on his back. SpongeBob says he cannot allow this as it is against the rules of the boundaries game. Squidward states that all he wanted was something to eat. SpongeBob and Squidward run into Patrick as they crash and the food Squidward was caring is now all over the living room. Squidward gets up from the floor wanting the food back, SpongeBob gets up after him, and Patrick gets up and wants food, too. The three of them start to run around in circles screaming and acting like apes. SpongeBob takes a piece of bread. Patrick takes a can and starts chewing on it. Squidward runs past him as Patrick protects his can. Squidward has a burger in his hands until SpongeBob takes it. Squidward and SpongeBob start fighting over the burger until it gets stuck on top of the ceiling. Squidward then questions about one little storm turning them all to act like complete animals. Squidward hears nothing outside and claims that the storm has stopped. SpongeBob tries to tell Squidward to wait, but he is too eager to leave. Squidward exits SpongeBob's pineapple house and runs away without seeing that SpongeBob's house is now at the top of a tornado. Squidward falls a long height down from the tornado and after landing hard on the ground, Squidward says “Curse you, Prefluenster!”

Jjs: I'm indifferent towards this episode. I know many hate it, some actually find it funny, and then there's people like me who are just "whatever" towards it. I don't particularly find this episode funny, but I'm not necessarily bugged by it either. At least this episode tries to be entertaining unlike several other S6 episodes, even if it backfires in several areas. A lot of the jokes definitely miss, and some gone on way too long ("drinking hot cocoa and solving jigsaw puzzles..."). But I still can't bring myself to really have any strong feelings toward it. By this point in S6 I grew too numb towards the annoy Squidward formula to care about this episode by this point. 

WhoBob: Idk if it's gonna come off as a surprise or not but I found this to be so bad so good. This is your average Squidward abuse episode from season 6. It was dumb, lazy and obnoxious but dammit, compare this to any other of Squidward abuse episodes in season 6, this was so over the top and exaggerated, I just loved it. It wasn't even really cruel, it was just so nonsensical. SpongeBob repeating words? Patrick becoming a deaf old man? The holy tic tac toe argument? Squidward eating snail food? The stupid border? All three acting like animals? These are all comedically bad but I couldn't stop laughing at how stupid these scenes were. I'm maybe being too soft since I hate like 2-3 Squidward abuse episodes in season 6 but this episode killed me. I'm totally okay with this being on the list, despite feeling it should have been lower than some others imo.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 7

Are You Happy Now is... bad. Just bad. It wasn't on my list but it was close. Everything that I can say about it has already been said.

Pineapple Fever, however, DID make my list. Even when I was a kid, I didn't care at all for this episode. There's worse out there, yes, but this episode still stands as a very tedious episode, as when it's not ripping off Squidward's eyebrow or forcing him to put up with Spongebob dressed as a police officer (that scene REALLY gets on my nerves), it's boring as all hell.

• Thanks 1

Despite all that it does, Are You Happy Now just seems like another piece of the bland puzzle that's known as season 8. It's weird to talk about because it definitely has bad qualities and it did screw up in certain areas, but it can't stand out to me at all.

Pineapple Fever is one I'll say that isn't bad. I can see it irking people but I really couldn't fathom putting it in my bottom 25, it tried to do things within the environment being everyone going crazy inside a closed space and it never came across as forced, and I never saw it as "Squidward torture" besides the beginning as everyone drove each other crazy. The worst bit was the middle really being stretched out but that's the only thing that gets too annoying. Guess the ending can drive some people insane but by that point I really wasn't caring too much.

• Thanks 1

I can't argue with anyone that put AYHN on their lists. It's a bad portrayal of depression. Squidward not once being happy makes no sense and they didn't tell us why Squidward had a depression before. However, I do like this episode for being moody and hopeless. It does come off as a bad thing to say and yes, I can't stand when a show tackles depression badly but idk why I enjoy this. Maybe I liked seeing that at least there's someone there for our guy that wants to make him happy. SpongeBob trying to give Squidward a happy memory is one of the best portrayals of SpongeBob's character in post-movie, yet I enjoyed how he didn't succeed at it. Sorry If I didn't dislike this one, i actually wanted to dislike it for being disrespectful so badly but I just found something interesting in the episode. Definitely not in a good way but still, yeah.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are You Happy Now is so bland lol, I can't even hate it despite the extremely badly timed "suicide" jokes. Its sister episode is MUCH better.

Pineapple Fever is another mediocre, forgettable season 6 episode. Nothing much to say about it besides that.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

Are You Happy Now: I actually like this episode tbh, though I understand why people would hate it (sinc eit has a depressing tone, and the suicide jokes). I enjoy watching it up until the ending, which I agree sucks

Pineapple Fever: Honestly have like nothing to say here, all I can say is this is a mixed bag slightly toward the negative side for me

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: The Play's the Thing

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: Cephalopod Lodge

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ????

Are You Happy Now?: This...is not good. Like It just another excuse to destory "Squidward abuse" episode, but the ending is FAR worse than any other endings. You think paper mache would cheer Squidward up? NOT FUCKING FUNNY.

Honestly, I never seen this episode took dark turn with sucide joke...dude there's like children in there. Well, maybe audits who feels that  isn't happy about this. To me, it's just awful & not very good at all.

Am I Happy Now? Absolutely NOT!

Pineapple Fever : Wen I first saw this episode, I thought it was ok, but when i rewatched. Eh...it kind of bored me. Like none of these joke made me laugh. It does tries to be funny. Noththing else to think of this episode. I guess this just a stupid arguement over silly game but yeah this is just boring episode to me.

• Happy 2

Well, I've said my spiel on Are You Happy Now. I'd honestly have to agree with the "so bad it's good" angle of Pineapple Fever. It almost feels like a parody of episodes of that era.

• Thanks 2