• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

38. The Cent of Money

ETsI1qs.jpg?1

75 points. 8 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #5 - @TJ

Summary:

Spoiler

SpongeBob is taking Gary for a walk. They spot Mr. Krabs in a free parking spot. Gary gets a little spazzy, so Mr. Krabs asks what's wrong. SpongeBob says that's what Gary does when he finds money. Mr. Krabs decides to take Gary to look for spare change all around town to feed his obsession with money. When SpongeBob asks what Mr. Krabs is doing with Gary, he just gives SpongeBob an impossible task (like painting the Krusty Krab with a toothbrush, or rearranging all the wall rivets from largest to smallest).

Mr. Krabs collects money from people at the Krusty Krab, Goo Lagoon, and the Laundromat. He then finds an arcade and goes inside. Mr. Krabs decides to disguise himself and Gary as a pregnant woman. Mr. Krabs tries to take everyone's money, but Gary is so worn out that he can't attract money anymore, as doing so causes him pain. Meanwhile, SpongeBob is finished with his tasks, so he looks for Mr. Krabs, but the guy Mr. Krabs took money from tells SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs and "his snail" have been stealing money. SpongeBob finds Mr. Krabs and is mad at him for putting Gary through all that pain just for money. They begin to argue, but they get distracted as Gary involuntarily starts collecting all of the money in the arcade (even from inside the game machines themselves!) The huge amount of money forms a massive wave of coins, which begin sliding towards all the Bikini Bottomites in an avalanche sort of fashion. Everyone tries to exit the arcade to avoid being swept away, except for Mr. Krabs, who runs toward the large wave of coins in a fit of money madness and gets literally crushed by them and is taken to the hospital.

At the hospital, after discussing what happened to Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob asks what caused Gary to begin attracting money. The doctor discovers that he had swallowed SpongeBob's Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy fridge magnet, which had quite a strong magnetic pull. When the doctor points out the bill to Mr. Krabs, he responds that he doesn't have enough money to make his payment. The doctor corrects him by mentioning that all the change he collected with Gary would cover it, prompting Mr. Krabs to yell "Nooooooooooo!" in defeat as the episode ends.

Jjs: While this didn't make my list, yup, this is still a pretty bad episode. It combines both things people disliked in S7: Mr. Krabs' flanderized greediness to the extreme and not funny Gary treatment, which goes as well as you'd expect. While this one probably gets overlooked by A Pal for Gary at times, which is understandable, I don't think this one is off the hook. I'll give the episode some credit for at least having SpongeBob stand up to Mr. Krabs, although even that is kind of botched since we had to sit through SpongeBob being oblivious the entire time, and I'm not sure how earned the confrontation felt due to it. But it was at least something that helped keep the episode off my bottom 25. Still doesn't excuse that the rest of the episode is pretty bland, unfunny and really drags. Curiously enough though, this one actually did better than it did in 2016, where it only made 5 lists. So unlike several other episodes in the previous range, Cent of Money certainly still has its place for reasonable dislike.

Wumbo: "Character abuse" episodes are always ones of high contention around here, especially now in what seems to be a revisionist era of these episodes. "Oh, were all these Squidward/Plankton/Gary abuse episodes really that bad?" people say. I can safely say that yes, Cent of Money is really that bad.

The problem I have with your average "character abuse" episode is that it treats the pain and misery like the joke. Tell me: where are the jokes in this one? I certainly can't remember any. All I remember is this nasty plot about Krabs extorting Gary's newfound magnetism to find money, while SpongeBob remains the oblivious idiot we all hate him for. Sure, he wises up by the end and sure, Krabs gets some sort of comeuppance (in that he loses the money he collected so... no real punishment?). But it's too little too late for a dumb, unpleasant episode that doesn't even attempt at actual humour.

And that's the thing; people are quick to cry "look at Camping Episode/Club Spongebob" when they're looking to be apologists for modern day "abuse" episodes. Know what Camping Episode and Club SpongeBob had? Jokes. And a story that was actually interesting and didn't make all the characters out to be needless punching bags, jerks, or blithering idiots. The Cent of Money dumps on all three main characters in this way, and there's nothing to redeem it because there's nothing else to latch onto except this ugly, pointless narrative.

37. A Day Without Tears

LZfd8Sl.jpg?1

76 points. 7 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #6 - @Turd Ferguson

Summary:

Spoiler

SpongeBob wakes up, stubs his toe, and starts crying. He rips his favorite shirt and starts crying again. He goes downstairs and hears a sad song on the radio, then he cries again. At work, he flips a Krabby Patty which lands on the ground when Mr. Krabs startles him. SpongeBob then cries once again. Squidward gets irritated of SpongeBob's crying, and he yells at him. SpongeBob then cries, wailing, "You yelled at me!"

Squidward tells SpongeBob that he cries too much; SpongeBob denies it but Squidward pulls up a TV and plays a video of a trillion tears and millions of places where SpongeBob has cried over those years. Watching the video, SpongeBob realizes he does cry a lot and promises to stop but Squidward rebukes his words as he makes a bet with SpongeBob that he couldn't last until midnight without crying.

After the bet is made, Squidward follows SpongeBob home to make sure he cries, and tries to make SpongeBob cry over things like a beautiful sunset, sad news stories with funerals, a sad song on the clarinet, and a sad bedtime story.

Amazingly, SpongeBob manages to hold in his tears until midnight, despite all of Squidward's best attempts, and after midnight, SpongeBob cries all over Bikini Bottom like crazy. Squidward comes over for a slumber party the next night, and the episode ends with Squidward crying and SpongeBob consoling him while watching television.

Jjs: Okay, I normally don't spoil things like this (though some could probably have figured it out), but I'm going to say this right now since it puts things into perspective:

Funny Pants did not make the list this year. At all. In fact, out of the 25, it was only on one person's list (lol). Yup, but its cousin made it on at #37. Somehow in 2018, A Day Without Tears has become more hated than Funny Pants. What a crazy timeline we're in. Looks like my prediction from 2016 came true, but I did not expect A Day Without Tears to knock off Funny Pants nor to beat out episodes like Pet Sitter Pat. Not entirely sure how I feel about this one making it here. I get why people dislike it, and I'm not really a fan of it either, but personally I can name worse, especially in S7. I will admit though this episode can be really boring (which is my biggest problem with this episode), especially the second half. Therefore, I understand putting this one on your list if you think the episode is that dull. And yeah, basing an episode around SpongeBob's crying was probably not ideal at all. But I don't know. I've found more boring episodes than this, and I don't think SpongeBob's crying is THAT bad in this one. As WhoBob says below, I think they could've made an episode about SpongeBob's crying much worse than this (and god forbid if they did), but to each their own I suppose.

WhoBob: I'm not gonna lie. I actually don't dislike this one and I'm shocked episodes like Pet Sitter Pat and Whatever Happened to SpongeBob are lower than this. As someone who hated SpongeBob's crying in another episode that hopefully is on the list, this one felt more tolerable to me than others found. For one, it's not crying for 11 minutes. Sure, he cried a lot in first 2-3 minutes and it was so damn obnoxious but after SpongeBob made a bet with Squidward to not cry until midnight, I actually found more enjoyment from this. Episodes that have SpongeBob/Squidward competition get my interest and this episode did just that. I found Squidward's attempts to make SpongeBob cry so funny and last minute of SpongeBob crying so much that his tears drowning Bikini Bottom (again, the show loves to say "fuck off" to logic and that is good) was so over the top I loved it. However, I can see why this was on the list because the first 2-3 minutes were shit, the episode did feel like retelling of Funny Pants and most of the time, the episode was a slow burn. But I still don't think it deserves this much hatred. Especially the ending. Squidward's annoyance was understandable to me but he was still the villain of the episode. He made a bet with SpongeBob, he knew what he was getting. Plus he tried to make SpongeBob cry, that was cheating and he deserved what he got at the end. And the punishment wasn't that bad. We've seen worse Squidward treatment. So yeah, I found this to be an alright episode that could have been handled much worse.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 7

The Cent of Money is like a reversal Gone to me. Such a shitty ass episode that had a godly ending. SpongeBob standing up for Gary was awesome and seeing Mr. Krabs getting crushed by a ton of cents was a great punishment.

I'm not against this to be on the list and I dislike this episode as well but that ending saved this from being a total abomination.

• Like 2

Cent of Money: I only really find this meh, since Mr Krabs at least gets comeuppance. Didn't make my list.

A Day Without Tears: This one is also not on my list, I find it overhated. The crying isn'r even there for half the episode, so it feels more like it's just mainly boring.

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

Cent of Money is perennially in that spot of just being off my list due to not being as memorable as the rest even though it should be. I don't know what exactly it is that keeps me from putting it on my list, but it just never stands out enough to finally make it.

I flat out disagree with Tears being on the list at all. It was only repetitive for the first few minutes and I'm fine with that since it set up an actual solid narrative, even if SpongeBob hasn't been too much of a crybaby in the past he's had some moments especially in Post Movie so it doesn't feel too forced for the plot either. There was some solid interactions between him and Squidward without Squidward being overtly mean while still losing and facing a completely fair "punishment" with a nice ironic ending, plus Mr. Krabs standing on his desk holding his money like that was hilarious.

I do not understand how anyone could put this on their list at all and given the placement as well as other infamous ones I disagree with like Face Freeze and Good Neighbors being low, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the one I disagree with the most.

• Like 3

The Cent of Money: While i don't have much dislike this episode as much it did. the only problem i have is Krabs being using Gary (which was a magent that caused him to act strange) is abusing. I do feel bad for Gary which is possitve side where SB snapped it at Krabs for doing awful job for poor Gary :( Otherwrise, not much to hate it.

A Day Without Tears: Okay, i do hate this episode, but it's annoying at time. Like Squward doesn't want SB to cry serval times (43 times? srsly?). I feel like this least bad to me personally, but i don't see anything that bothers me. Ony minor issies I have is Squidward wanted to get SB cry, so that he would help him even this episode is dull & boring to me. Overall, just an irritating episode.

• Thanks 1

Neither of these episodes managed to make my list, but The Cent of Money was close. The ending helps to at least keep this from being one of Mr. Krabs worst portrayals to date. A Day Without Tears wasn't particularly funny and it spent way too much time wading around for us to expect SpongeBob to cry. While Squidward did deserve what he got in the end his schemes to try and win the bet are pretty uninspired and slow. 

• Like 1

definitely not a fan of the cent of money. sure krabs got what he deserved by the end but it doesn't make up a significant enough portion of the episode to excuse the rest of the episode, which was just really bad. i feel like it tends to be forgotten in the slew of gary abuse episodes but is among the more frustrating of them all. 

a day without tears seems to get pinpointed as the "spongebob flanderization episode" and it definitely is, nor are any of the jokes funny sry sry BUT i do think that it features some of the best character interactions in season s e v e n, doing what restraining spongebob i think tried to do but did not. if spongebob had been characterized better i think id like the episode. 

• Thanks 1

Wish I could've submitted a list, if it weren't for literally everything suffocating my time. Both of these episodes are very mediocre, I haven't seen them in years but I don't remember there being any good jokes or memorable scenes, and they seem on par for the course in terms of stiff contrived animation and cheap, low-effort plots. That sunset in Day Without Tears tho

3 hours ago, Homie⭐ said:

i do think that it features some of the best character interactions in season six

Pretty sure this episode was from season seven. :pinhead:

I know too much about this series.
  • Thanks 4

36. Atlantis SquarePantis

92IrVvo.jpg?1

85 points. 5 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #4 - @Honest Slug

Summary:

Spoiler

SpongeBob and Patrick are in Jellyfish Fields blowing bubbles. Patrick tries to take pictures of the bubbles but they keep popping before the picture is taken. SpongeBob decides to blow a bubble that would last all day. SpongeBob blows a bubble that engulfs them both and carries them into a nearby cave. The bubble suddenly pops as it makes an impact with an ancient piece of gold.

Eager to discover what exactly it is, they take it to the Bikini Bottom Museum where they (literally) run into Squidward. At first, Squidward thinks that SpongeBob and Patrick were planning to steal the first half of the amulet which is housed in the museum, but upon attempting to return it to its spot, he realizes that what Patrick and SpongeBob had was, in fact, the missing half. At this point, both Mr. Krabs and Sandy join them.

The pieces of gold are then reunited, which summons a luxurious bus (or 'van' as Squidward calls it) piloted by a robot and it's fueled by "song." During the song to fuel the bus, it is revealed that Plankton has stowed away in a compartment at the front of the bus and plans to control the lost weapons of Atlantis.

Once they arrive there, (accidentally crash-landing in a topiary garden) they meet the king of Atlantis, Lord Royal Highness, LRH for short, who shows them the riches, knowledge, and art of Atlantis. Meanwhile, Plankton escapes from the compartment and sneaks into the vault storing the weapons. After looking around at the weapons, he chooses to commandeer a tank (seemingly at random) to start his diabolical scheme.

Meanwhile, Mr. Krabs enjoys the money vault, Sandy enjoys the science lab, and Squidward enjoys the hall of art (the rooms each had been planning to see). In the money vault, money, gold, and prized objects are found and mostly stashed in Mr. Krabs' pants pockets. In the science lab, Sandy enjoys the devices, a biomass-converting device that turns any household object into ice cream (a bug the Atlanteans have not worked out), a germ-fighting, interactive, micro video game, and makes an automatic feeding device. In addition, in the Hall of Arts, Squidward journeys through paintings, is modeled by painters, and even makes his own painting, claiming to have learned more about art in his short time in Atlantis than he did while at college.

However, everything goes wrong when SpongeBob and Patrick are left alone with the World's Oldest Living Bubble. The flash from Patrick's camera when he takes a picture of themselves with the bubble causes it to burst and the pair goes to dinner and insist on leaving. When Patrick reveals their mistake, LRH tells them that the bubble they popped was a prop, but when he shows them the real bubble, Patrick takes a picture of it and it also pops. LRH is furious and summons the Atlantean Royal Guards to seize the gang, but Plankton appears with a tank.

He fires the tank at SpongeBob, the gang, and the Atlantean Royal Guards, but is foiled when it is revealed that the weapon he had chosen only shoots ice cream. He jumps out of the tank and in frustration, kicks it, injuring himself. However, LRH seems delighted, saying, "This talking speck will make a fantastic replacement for our recently deflated national treasure!" Finally, LRH loads SpongeBob and his friends back onto the bus and removes the amulet, giving it to one of his soldiers to dispose of to ensure no more "visitors like these." SpongeBob is the only one eager to return to Bikini Bottom and sings. His friends get sad and cry, but SpongeBob ignores and sings all along.

Oh yeah and there's also a Patchy plot.

Jjs: Ah yes, now here comes one of the most divisive episodes in SpongeBob history...or at least was divisive. Back in the old days, this was the biggest "love it or hate it" episode of the entire series. There never was an in-between, and boy were the debates about this one rampant, and at times, not very friendly. Come 2018, and I know not many are as willing to defend this episode as they once were, but still wouldn't bring themselves to hate it. Others still will defend Atlantis as being "not that bad" and that "it's one of the best S5 episodes!". Others will say "this is still hated in 2018?". Count me in the first group. Allow me to offer my two cents. I don't hate this episode, but I can't deny that a lot of the flak it gets is kinda warranted. The biggest problem with Atlantis SquarePantis, to me at least, is that it goes for too much style over substance. You can throw as many songs as you want at me, and throw in the Atlantis setting for visuals, but eleven years later and I've realized those are fancy ways to distract you from the fact that this special's "plot" (if you want to even call it that)...doesn't really go anywhere or even exist honestly. The plot is just a very watered down Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but in Atlantis and with SpongeBob characters. Which...okay, I like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but the story Atlantis tells is not compelling to me, sorry. It feels ultimately bare bones. The gang goes to Atlantis using a magic bus after quite a bit of padding, then Plankton also happens to sneak along (who seriously should not have been in this special whatsoever, if he had been cut I think some pacing problems could've been fixed), then they get to Atlantis, sing songs about their character traits while touring, SpongeBob and Patrick pop the World's Oldest Living Bubble because haha Patrick's stupid, then Atlantis turns against them, but then it's all resolved because Plankton apparently had a point and becomes their new treasure, and lastly we get a sappy ending that tries to make a conclusion but falls flat. It's literally no more complex than that. The stakes are practically nonexistent, and when it tries to force a conflict at you with the bubble popping, it's too little too late by then. The biggest problem to me however, is that we the audience aren't given any real reason to care about what the gang sees at Atlantis. We're basically told over and over and over that Atlantis is an amazing place and that we have to love it as much as the main cast. They try to make us think it's a big deal, but I find myself not caring. Yay, Squidward sees art...which he can see literally anywhere or make himself. Yay, Sandy sees a video game...which she could literally make herself. Yay, Mr. Krabs sees money...which, self-explanatory (okay admittedly there was treasure too, but still, I'm not impressed). Their desires needed more meat other than basic character traits. Even SpongeBob and Patrick's interest in the bubble is made moot when it pops, making the whole quest pretty pointless. None of their desires feel special to me, and the fact the special keeps trying to hammer us over the head to care makes me that more apathetic to the story. It feels like the second half of Atlantis SquarePantis is a forced tourist attraction for not just the main cast, but we the viewers as well, and we're dragged along with it, if that makes sense. Apparently "show, don't tell" is a foreign entity to Atlantis SquarePantis, which ESPECIALLY shows in the songs. Oh yeah, another controversial topic: the songs. I personally don't mind most of them, but they are a big part of Atlantis' "show, don't tell" problem. Some of them are passable, some are eh, and others I forget all about. As for the Patchy skits, they are absolute garbage and drag on and on. Even as a kid I didn't find them amusing. I separate the actual episode from Patchy's nonsense so I don't judge Atlantis as a whole by Patchy's segments, but they are still pretty bad. Overall, it may sound like I hate Atlantis from this rant, and I still don't, but it is unfortunately a flawed "tv movie" that has warranted criticism. Whether if it deserves to be this high on the list will vary from person to person, I suppose. I know people still might like this one, but I can't say I'm shedding any tears it's on here.

Oh and not having David Bowie (RIP) sing was absolutely inexcusable. Literally one of, if not the, biggest missed opportunities in SpongeBob history.

JCM: My biggest problem with Atlantis SquarePantis is that it didn't really feel like a movie, even though it was advertised as one and was four times as long as a regular episode. It had more in common with The Sponge Who Could Fly, which was basically just a normal episode with songs to pad its length, than with either of the movies released into theaters, and while Truth or Square was just an hour-long clip show, it at least had something resembling stakes to keep the viewer engaged. With that said, I did enjoy most of the episode's music, and the animated sequences for the character-based songs are some of the most creative things I've seen from the show, with Sandy's in particular tickling my fancy as a fan of retro video games. The music won't be sticking in your head after the episode is over, though, and I would have done without it for an episode that had a stronger, more original plotline instead of just being a less-deranged version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Also, I'm not usually a fan of Patchy's segments, but the ones in this episode felt more pointless than usual, and you could tell how much of a challenge doing an hour-long episode had been for the writers, though I think they could have done more with the concept than they ended up doing with it. Despite all the flaws, I can't bring myself to hate the episode as much as some people do, thanks to the aforementioned musical sequences and moments I genuinely found funny and surprising, which is more than I can say for any episode in my Bottom 25.

Honest Slug: I know that the hate for this episode has died down a lot, and I'm sure some people will rush to say "It's not that bad!" and "At least it's not gross or mean-spirited" but honestly, is there anything to defend about this episode? At least One Coarse Meal and A Pal for Gary had the decency to realize they only deserved to waste 11 minutes of people's lives. Atlantis is 40+ minutes of nothing. The story is shockingly shallow. You'd think with 40 minutes they would manage to fill the episode with something but I'd say that Picture Day does more in 7 minutes (An actually good episode) than Atlantis does in 40. There is no conflict until the very end of the episode. Most of """""story""""" is "Oh I like something that I've been established to like for 4 seasons" and then "Oh here's this thing that I've liked for 4 seasons" and then SpongeBob and Patrick pop the bubble so there's finally something actually happening and actually at stake but it's way too late. At least most of the infamous episodes people talk about at least keep you mildly interested in the same way as a car crash, Atlantis is more equivalent to waiting at the DMV. You can call the episode "innocent" all you want but this episode is far harder to sit through than most because it's just nothing. There's no stakes, no jokes, no plot. Just characters singing in a room until they sing in the next room.

Oh, and the songs are awful as well. I know some people have started defending these songs recently for some reason, and music is subjective so I won't go too hard on people for that, but can you honestly look me straight in the face and defend some of this as actually quality music? All of them follow similar, predictable rhyme schemes that often don't flow and are often matched to characters who don't have great singing voices. What's worse is that the songs are so unnecessary. To try to spice it up they added some extra animation styles, for the most part they're pretty underwhelming. It's like they outsourced all these bits to the animation studio that works on Johnny Test. Musicals also tend to move forward the plot with musical numbers. All of the musical numbers in Atlantis either just repeat character traits that we already know or are completely useless. The only 2 that I can think of that contribute in anyway are the final song and the one where they need to sing to get the bus to run. But seriously, a bus run by song power? That's another thing I hate about this episode. It's really childish and juvenile, the episode is so cheesy without parodying anything. I thought that maybe they were purposefully making it so cheesy to be a parody but they don't subvert anything. And dear Neptune where is the comedy? They don't even attempt many jokes and the few they do are extremely generic and unfunny. Patchy is also in this episode. His stuff is weird and bad but it doesn't drag on for too long and isn't much worse than SpongeBob's portion to be honest.

So yeah, I still hate this episode. Call it harmless all you want but I have a hard-time thinking of anything in SpongeBob that's as unwatchable as this. There's nothing to like about, every aspect of it is severely botched and there's nothing to come back to. Give me Dunces and Dragons, Christmas Who, and Friend or Foe over this garbage thank you.

35. Cephalopod Lodge

Rn6Li97.jpg?1

86 points. 5 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #3 - @Patty Sponge

Summary:

Spoiler

While working, SpongeBob notices that Squidward is actually smiling one day at the Krusty Krab, so he and Patrick decide to spy on him and see why he is so happy.

That night, SpongeBob and Patrick follow Squidward to a strange lodge, in which SpongeBob and Patrick intrude into. Squidward puts on a robe and performs handshakes with the other members of the Cephalopod Lodge, all of whom are cephalopods.

When SpongeBob and Patrick decide to join in on the festivities, the lodge members hold Squidward accountable for allowing two non-cephalopods into the lodge. They then choose to ban Squidward for life. SpongeBob and Patrick attempt to apologize to the lodge entrance gaurd, but this fails when Patrick says it is the gaurds fault for allowing them to enter in. The two then decide to start their own lodge and invite Squidward. SpongeBob and Patrick proceed to capture Squidward and force him to have their lodge "initiation," where a jellyfish is put onto the members' tongue and proceeds to sting the tongue.

Returning to Squidward's house, SpongeBob and Patrick start their own club and call it "The Feather Friends," much to the annoyance of Squidward, who begs that he wants to be allowed back into the Cephalopod Lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick decide they want to help Squidward. They come up with a plan to dress up in a giant sock in an effort to resemble a Morray Eel, the arch-nemesis of the lodge members, so that they can scare the lodge members while Squidward "saves" them.

Their plan works, and Squidward is allowed back in. However, when SpongeBob and Patrick take off the sock and reveal themselves to give their congratulations, Squidward is once again kicked out of the lodge. SpongeBob and Patrick decide to go back to the "their lodge" idea, but first, they need to redo the "initiation" on Squidward.

Jjs: I used to really dislike this episode, and I think it made my bottom 25 before. This didn't make my list this year, but I still think it's not a really good episode. There are worse Squidward sabotage episodes, but this one is pretty lacking in everything. Outside of Squidward's Illuminati club, the rest of the episode doesn't have much of substance for me. Out of all the annoy Squidward episodes in S6, this one feels really forgettable since it doesn't offer much of anything. At least SpongeBob and Patrick did try to help Squidward when they realized they messed up, but they still are pretty annoying throughout the second half. The ending is pretty bad too. It's sad that an episode about Squidward being in the Illuminati comes off so...uninteresting. However, I will say I did find the Feathered Friends and the albino eel sock puppet actually amusing. Maybe those helped keep it off my list this time, but the rest of it is still very meh and I don't disagree with it being on here, though maybe it could've ranked lower. Honestly, I would've just rather had an episode focused more on the Cephalopod Lodge itself, which would've been more interesting than what we actually got in this episode.

Steel: I've never usually gone in-depth to describe my thoughts towards "Cephalopod Lodge," but since Jjs asked, I might as well reveal my consensus towards the episode 'cause I feel like it would be deplorable if I admit it that I don't think it's one of S6's worst segments...but who am I to say that? I know you guys aren't like that (but if I were to talk about some of my most controversial SB opinions, then I know that I would receive some contempt). Okay, so anyways, I can't bring myself to hate "Cephalopod Lodge" despite that it's yet another example of unfunny Squid abuse because at the very least, the episode is mostly spent on SpongeBob and Patrick either trying to make their friend Squidward feel more like at home by making him a part of their own club or attempting to get Squidward back in the octopus cult that he loved so much.

However, there are some elements from the episode that don't rub me in a good way. One particular scene that was poorly executed was when SB and Patrick try to convince Roger, one of the lodge members, that it wasn't Squidward's fault and end up telling him that it wasn't their faults either. That's how you know how insecure some of the post-movie writers are when it comes to giving SB and Patrick some comeuppance. Even then, SB and Patrick wouldn't receive any bad karma if they said that they didn't mean to intrude the lodge, but the episode would end faster that way, so no, we have to deal with the rest of the episode's plot that still results in Squidward getting banned for life from the lodge. Besides that, "I think I'll go slam my head in the door...repeatedly," was a painful sounding line. It was clearly not meant to be taken as a joke, but you just can't help but feel bad for Squidward during that moment.

I'll also admit that I thought there were quite a few good gags from the episode. I've always thought that the bits with the giant sock puppet were amusing, and the "Were you dropped on the head when you were a baby?" line was kinda funny in retrospect. I can understand why this episode would still be contemptible for most fans, but despite its flaws, I don't find "Cephalopod Lodge" to be so painful to watch

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Yup, Atlantis SquarePantis made my list at #10. Total waste of the viewer’s time... it drags on and on and on with singing about character traits that were already established and the jokes are either Juvenille to nonexistent. Cephalopod Lodge is interchangeable with a number of similar episodes so no comment here. 

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. Pet Sitter Pat (#41)

7. ???

8. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (#39)

9. ???

10. Atlantis SquarePantis (#36)

11. ???

12. ???

13. ???

14. ???

15. Sun Bleached (#43)

16. ???

17. ???

18. ???

19. ???

20. ???

21. ???

22. ???

23. ???

24. ???

25. ???

• Like 1

Atlantis: Well... I knew this would come at some point. But, honestly, this episode is my third favorite of the whole series. Serisualy. I love this episode. I love most stuff about the episode. Atlantis is really cool looking and is even more cool with what's there, espicially that video game section...... speaking of that, the visuals of the episode are amazing, as I said earlier atlantis looks really cool, and they try many different artstyles like the video game section and the money looking scenes in Mr Krab's song, and they all look really cool. The atmosphere of the episode is really good. The action is good too, there's muitiple good jokes I like here, and the characterization is good (I know there's the complaint that Sandy does all the fighting, but she uses the characters to good use and honestly I like that, even if the characters themselves battling would have been just as good). And most notably.... I like the songs. Yes, I actually like the songs. Goodbye Atlantis and the bubble song in the beginning are amazing, and the Sandy one is great too. And most of the songs have cool visuals too, so even the songs that are just good have cool stuff going on that makes it fun to watch. And honestly, I never found much wrong about the episode. I feel like most of the flaws people talk about are nitpicky, like advertisments that don't effect the episode's quality and the name of Atlantis.

Also, I know there's the Patchy Scenes..... as for that, I have a love/hate relationship with them, where I know it sucks but I honestly unironically enjoy it.

Cephalopod Lodge: This one on the other hand, I actually don't like. At all. The squid abuse is terrible here, all Squidward did was enjoy something and he gets punished hard over something he didn't even cause. And then what would have been a great ending is destroyed by the stupid ending of SpongeBob and Patrick revealing themselves, which was completetly unneccesary.

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: Cephalopod Lodge

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Thanks 1

To me, Atlantis was so mediocre but I never found it to be bad. I loved some of moments like video game sequence, fight scene and Bubble song but I agree that it wasted so much potential that they didn't even bring King Neptune in it, wtf. Patchy scenes were so horrendously cheesy tho, except for the so bad so good Encino montage but I always exclude Patchy scenes from judging if the ep is good or bad, so.

I always found Cephalopod Lodge to be s decent episode, despite agreeing with all of its criticism. I liked it for having some cool gags and Illuminati plots usually interest me. That being said, Squidward was treated badly and that ending was so bad.

• Thanks 1

While most of the episodes that I had on my old list I have decreased my dislike of, I'm surprised I never put Atlantis SquarePantis on that list. Considering that I still mute it every time a song comes on, I think that kinda sums up my current thoughts on this special. (thought the patchy segments are enjoyable)

Cephalopod Lodge is still one I have negative feelings towards. It's just another episode that uses the cringy version of Squidward torture, and not the actually funny version used in episodes like Boat Smarts and (dare I say it) Ink Lemonade. Probably wouldn't put it that high on my current list now, but It would still have a spot.

1. ???

2. ???

3. Cephalopod Lodge (#35)

4. ???

5. ???

6. ???

7. ???

8. ???

9. ???

10. ???

11. ???

12. ???

13. ???

14. ???

15. ???

16. ???

17. Professor Squidward (#47)

18. ???

19. ???

20. The Thing (#46)

21. ???

22. ???

23. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (#39)

24. ???

25. Plankton's Regular (#48)

• Like 1

I was too lazy last night to post my opinion on the episodes, so I'll combine them here.

The Cent of Money definitely made my list. While I could say it's a combination of One Coarse Meal and A Pal for Gary into one, the catch is that it's not as bad as those two. It's still pretty bad though.

A Day Without Tears is just forgettable at best. It's on my list and it's there for a reason; when it's not being annoying, it's dull.

Atlantis SquarePantis is, well, pretty bad. Other than the annoying songs (of which I can only stand 1 or 2), it's boring as hell and the Patchy segments are... out there, that's for sure. Hell, this episode's so boring, I'd rather watch Ink Lemonade over this one.

This may be surprising but Cephalopod Lodge isn't even near being on my list. In fact, I don't even think it's THAT bad, its main problem being how boring it is.
hides in nuclear bunker

• Like 1

Atlantis  Squarepantis: I felt like this "TV Movie" is huge waste of 40+ minutes honestly. Like Nick US advertised it back in 2007, and it was never said it was gonna be musical or something like that. But what I do know is that it was orginially gonna be a 11-minite SB & Patrick episode. However Nick decide to tell the the crew by saying "oh i have a request for you? make an extended episode with the gang exploring Atlantis, so that we could pull a rating trap". Honestly, I don't really like the fact it drags goes on for almost an hour (lol throws us with their songs & Patchy segments to fill the runtime). But really, i dislike this episode even it didn't made on my list is because how awful it was. they could AT LEAST do 30 minute without songs/Patchy. Only just the gang exploring it. Plankton doesn't really needed to be there. Why? because it made none sense and just to fill the time by distracting them whatsoever he has plans...I don't know this whole Willy Wonka parody has been horrible job for not giving the viewers want (and yes I even saw it when it aired following day after US aird (which Canada actually has Patchy skits on it). The only posivite thing I can think of is Sandy's song...yeah that's pretty much of it. Overall, it's just awful "TV movie" event that put me sit through with boring songs and shit at us.

Cephalopod Lodge: it used to be on my list, not even anymore at all. I honestly admit i jumped to conclusion choosing it last time, but there are some positvite that kept me removed this episofde off my list. SB & Patrick at least tried to get Squiudward get back in Serect club that is.

Lenny: it's a secret.

(Homer looks at Carl, who's drinking a soda)

Homer: (looks back to Lenny) Shut up.

But yeah, this episode not good  and the ending was bad. Nothing else to say it tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • God Himself 1

I love Cephalopod Lodge! I think it's funny and interesting, and is actually one of my favourite episodes of season six.. It's up there with season four's The Thing.. :troll:

Would rewatch anytime.

Edited by BeachBob95
  • Confused 1