• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

Plankton's Regular: Oh yes, this is the episode that would be considered to be pre-One Coarse Meal. I'm still baffled that Mr. Krabs is still considered to be the worst character in the episode and not Karen. The whole time, she set up Nat to pretend to enjoy Plankton's chum (and for him to get his stomach pumped several times), and she didn't do that to make Plankton feel any better, but rather to teach him that he never had a regular customer and never will.

"But Mr. Krabs IS at his worst in the episode, he'll never even let Plankton have one customer!"

No duh. Krabs and Plankton are sworn enemies. While I'll pass up Krabs' stubborness, I can't pass up Krabs' laughing at Plankton's pain. Besides the killjoy twist, I didn't like how the episode just ended on a sour note. The episode does at least end with Krabs and SpongeBob still in Plankton's trap, so the episode doesn't really have much of a winner. I can't complain about the episode's placement on the list, but I'll be honest when I say that I don't loathe this episode.

Professor Squidward: I just love how the image chosen for the episode is how some of us would react if we realized that some fans still hate this episode to death. Unlike Best Day Ever's placement, I can understand why this would end up on the list. I don't hate this episode, but there are some elements from it that frustrate me. This episode has a Liar Revealed plot and it's easy to predict that it ends the way that it does. The way that the plot goes through is pretty absurd too. The music school headmistress mistakes Squidward for Squilliam and she didn't know that Squilliam is distinguishable from him until the end of the episode where she says that she's come to notice that the real Squilliam has a unibrow???

If you know me well, "Best Day Ever" is not going to be my biggest disagreement towards the bottom 50. I still have some hot takes that will probably end up on either this list or on the top 50. There are some episodes I hate that the majority doesn't (I don't hate Pranks a Lot as much as I used to anymore, so don't worry), as well as some episodes that I love but are considered to be one of the series' worst episodes. *cough* Truth or Square *cough*

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

Plankton's Regular: Oh yes, this is the episode that would be considered to be pre-One Coarse Meal. I'm still baffled that Mr. Krabs is still considered to be the worst character in the episode and not Karen. The whole time, she set up Nat to pretend to enjoy Plankton's chum (and for him to get his stomach pumped several times), and she didn't do that to make Plankton feel any better, but rather to teach him that he never had a regular customer and never will.

"But Mr. Krabs IS at his worst in the episode, he'll never even let Plankton have one customer!"

No duh. Krabs and Plankton are sworn enemies. While I'll pass up Krabs' stubborness, I can't pass up Krabs' laughing at Plankton's pain. Besides the killjoy twist, I didn't like how the episode just ended on a sour note. The episode does at least end with Krabs and SpongeBob still in Plankton's trap, so the episode doesn't really have much of a winner. I can't complain about the episode's placement on the list, but I'll be honest when I say that I don't loathe this episode.

Professor Squidward: I just love how the image chosen for the episode is how some of us would react if we realized that some fans still hate this episode to death. Unlike Best Day Ever's placement, I can understand why this would end up on the list. I don't hate this episode, but there are some elements from it that frustrate me. This episode has a Liar Revealed plot and it's easy to predict that it ends the way that it does. The way that the plot goes through is pretty absurd too. The music school headmistress mistakes Squidward for Squilliam and she didn't know that Squilliam is distinguishable from him until the end of the episode where she says that she's come to notice that the real Squilliam has a unibrow???

If you know me well, "Best Day Ever" is not going to be my biggest disagreement towards the bottom 50. I still have some hot takes that will probably end up on either this list or on the top 50. There are some episodes I hate that the majority doesn't (I don't hate Pranks a Lot as much as I used to anymore, so don't worry), as well as some episodes that I love but are considered to be one of the series' worst episodes. *cough* Truth or Square *cough*

YES I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ON HERE WHO LOVES TRUTH OR SQUARE

I’ve made my thoughts perfectly clear on Plankton’s Regular for years.  This concept could have worked if it wasn’t so mean spirited.  Mr. Krabs saying Plankton should never have a regular customer ever is one of the cruelest lines in the entire series to me.  As well as Krabs laughing at Plankton falling into a deep depression with SpongeBob doing that grin...what the actual hell man.

Professor Squidward’s biggest crime is that it’s incredibly boring and an overdone formula.  I’ve never been a fan and when it first premiered, I constantly checked the clock thinking that there is no way it’s only been four minutes when it felt like I’ve been sitting there much longer.  It kept going and going and it still feels like that the only other time I tried watching it.

• Like 2

Plankton's Regular: I don't really dislike this, but I do dislike the ending because Krabs & SB were laughing at poor Plankton was just cruel way to end it. I honestly feel bad for Plankton because he just wanted to get his customer, so that he wouldn't leave his restaurant empty. Otherwise, this episode couild've saved Plankton gets his first actual customer rather Nat being paid to get act that he liked his food. very disappointing episode to me IMO.

Professor Squidward: this episode felt very boring for most of it, and it actually did made me fell asleep during 2nd half of it (i'm serious). the main problem I have is lack of pace,  and Squillam doesn't really needed to be here, and SB & Patricj just suddenly in it makes no sense at all whill being annoying to Squidward. I felt like this waste of my time watching this episode honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly; I don't GET the hate for "Plankton's Regular!" :rolleyes: There are like, only two instances of gross-out gags (ripping the skin off), and in retrospect, they are nowhere NEAR as bad or as gross as to what has happened in more recent seasons. And I don't think the jokes or the ending of that episode segment is that terrible, all things considered. I agree with some of you, "Plankton's Regular" probably won't even be ON this list at all, the next time we do this! :D Enough said! ;)

• Thanks 1

Trophy it's not that I don't dislike the episode (it didn't make my list but it's hovering around the 26-35 area). I was just using it as an example for. how times change and it's weird that episodes like this and Plankton's regular are showing up. What's next, Battle of Bikini Bottom makes a comeback after 5 years of not being on a list at all? I spoke too soon

2 minutes ago, More said:

Trophy it's not that I don't dislike the episode (it didn't make my list but it's hovering around the 26-35 area). I was just using it as an example for. how times change and it's weird that episodes like this and Plankton's regular are showing up. What's next, Battle of Bikini Bottom makes a comeback after 5 years of not being on a list at all? I spoke too soon

let me use the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme dammit

It's more that you used it in the same lines of Best Day Ever and Dear Vikings which are more harmless rather than the 26-35 area, so I assumed there was a crowd out there who'd defend it from being on the list entirely when compared to much worse which I didn't agree with at all, it truly is awful when it's not a horrifically boring snoozefest.

46. The Thing

p7v1N22.jpg?1

54 points. 4 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #5 - @crushingmayhem

Summary:

Spoiler

Squidward notices that the neighborhood is unusually quiet, and proposes that SpongeBob is gone for the evening. Back in his house, Squidward tries to relax and watch some smooth jazz on public television, only to be distracted by SpongeBob and Patrick, who emphasize that they are trying to 'enhance' Squidward's evening. Eventually, Squidward lets SpongeBob and Patrick watch with him, only to be bombarded with questions. At last, Squidward is fed up, and leaves Patrick and SpongeBob watching his television.

Departing the neighborhood on his bicycle, Squidward is hit by a truck of cement and flies off into Jellyfish Fields, where he stays for five days. SpongeBob and Patrick are jellyfishing where they spot him, and decide to adopt Squidward, who they consider a wild animal and refer to as 'Smelly.'

Back at SpongeBob's pineapple house, Gary attacks Squidward and SpongeBob determines that it is dangerous for Smelly to remain in his household. Patrick decides to take Squidward under his wing, and plays a game of catch with him at his rock, but ends up calling Animal Control, who come and take Smelly to the zoo. There, SpongeBob is horrified that everyone is treating Smelly so cruelly, so that night, SpongeBob and Patrick break into the zoo and plan to free Squidward. However, they are caught by Animal Control and SpongeBob and Patrick only manage to lose them by going underground.

After a while, Patrick sees the light and the gang find themselves in a jungle-like landscape. SpongeBob remarks that the creatures around them look just like Smelly, so they leave Smelly with his real family and return home. The creatures accept Squidward as one of their kind, and as Kelpy G starts playing his clarinet, Squidward's cement cracks open and he simply says to the creatures, "Um...hi."

Jjs: Don't really have any strong feelings to this one. I'm surprised it still has dislike since to me, a lot worse Squidward abuse episodes have come along to the fandom than this one. It is still a pretty mediocre episode though, and yeah, I can see how the antics with "Smelly" would annoy people enough to still put it on their lists. If you're not a fan of any type of Squidward sabotage, then this one isn't for you. For me though, this one has always kind of been a "whatever episode" for me. I'm ultimately really indifferent towards it. Much like the previous two though, I have a feeling this one may disappear from future countdowns. 

BeachBob: To be honest, The Thing has always been one of my favorite episodes of season 4. I remember getting it on DVD in a Happy Meal, along with Hocus Pocus, which both hadn't aired yet. Although the second one wasn't all that memorable of funny, The Thing always made me smile. I thought the way Squidward wanted to get away, but turning into this rock creature, only to return back in the arms of his lovely neighbors was freaking funny. The part where they escape from the zoo was my favourite part, since it was sweet of SpongeBob and Patrick to get 'smelly' out, there was a cool short chase sequence, and I just loved to see the zoo again. The beautiful clarinet music throughout the episode made this episode stand out even more to me. I never understood the hate for this episode. I know I just started a controversy with a very recent episode, but I really don't get that this episode I love is even on this list. Oh well, let's just say I have a thing for The Thing :hehe2:

45. Gone

jLlYZSL.png?1

54 points. 5 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #1 - @Dr. Thanos

Summary:

Spoiler

SpongeBob wakes up one morning to find out that Gary is missing and discovers that he is the only one left in all of Bikini Bottom. At first, he finds this hard to take. In panic, he runs around town in a desperate attempt to find anyone, but to no avail.

When the others do not return, SpongeBob decides to live out everyone's lives for them. He makes a bubble version of himself in his front yard, then runs to the top floor of Squidward's house, pretending to be Squidward yelling at SpongeBob for making too much noise. The latter then runs to the Krusty krab, imitating Squidward and Mr. Krabs. He then imitates Sandy at her treedome and Patrick in his rock before running to the boating school and imitating Mrs. Puff.

While in the classroom, he realizes that living out everyone's lives will not work, and breaks down crying on Mrs. Puff's desk. SpongeBob's mood quickly changes when he discovers a stack of blank driver's licenses. He takes a picture of himself, and prints out his own license. He then takes off with the student test boat, naming it "Boaty," and joyriding throughout the city.

SpongeBob and Boaty become inseparable best friends. The latter sleeps with the boat and parks it inside both his house and the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob is going insane without people to talk to, and Boaty realizes this. In his closet, SpongeBob has erected a statue of Patrick out of raw Krabby Patty meat, which he carries out a conversation with. The "Patty-Patrick" warns him that he cannot talk because Boaty is listening. He goes crazy from the sight of any motor vehicle, and when a bus comes, he grabs a fire ax from the cinema to chop at the bus that approaches him.

To his surprise, everyone in Bikini Bottom comes out of it. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that everyone's mysterious disappearance was really a holiday to celebrate being away from the latter for a day (according to SpongeBob, they were gone for weeks) called National No SpongeBob Day. Before venturing off, a giant effigy of SpongeBob is erected, and then burned. Everyone then dances on the ashes to celebrate. SpongeBob is deeply saddened by this but Mr. Krabs tells him that the holiday is an honor.

Patrick recommends a "No Patrick Day." After Patrick says this, everyone decides to celebrate National No Patrick Day and boards the bus except for Patrick, who is halted by SpongeBob. Left alone, Patrick wonders where everyone went obviously forgetting what he just said.

Jjs: This one will most definitely be a divisive choice. I know quite a few users like this one, calling it one of S6's best, and others absolutely hate it, especially due to the ending. Me? I'm actually in the middle. I've never really disliked or liked this one. The ending doesn't bug me honestly. In a twisted kind of way, I did like that SpongeBob was happy he got a holiday dedicated to him, as screwed up as the idea of it was. I respect some won't look past the ending the way I do. If you want me to be honest though, I didn't really find the rest of the episode before the ending particularly that good either, so maybe that's why the ending didn't really hurt or help the episode for me. I thought the first act was okay and posed a few interesting what ifs. But when Boaty comes into the second act, stuff really starts to drag and isn't that interesting to me. I do think at the end of the day the episode could've done a lot better with the "everyone disappears" concept. Whether if you consider this deserving to be on the list or not is debatable.

Honest Slug: I'm really glad I get to commentate this one. For many this is a bad episode because of the ending. I think the ending is terrible too, but honestly from start to finish this is a pretty awful episode. It's such a jumbled-up mess that doesn't know what it wants to be that it neither satisfies as a creepy, atmospheric episode or as a comedy. The episode begins with a fairly eerie scene of SpongeBob finding out he's the only one left in Bikini Bottom, this scene works well enough until they undercut it with a stupid joke, but then SpongeBob starts imitating people. I get that this is supposed to establish how SpongeBob misses all the people of Bikini Bottom, but it has very little place in this episode. For one thing it just isn't funny, seeing SpongeBob mimic people isn't funny within itself. There's no joke other than "It's Mrs. Puff, except it's SpongeBob!" and that's it. This works so much better in Mimic Madness where there's actually other characters to react to SpongeBob's imitations and it also has very little to do with the car. The car is the central crux of the story-line and it doesn't get as much attention as it needs to be developed in an interesting way. I think the idea is certainly more clever than To Love a Patty as there's actually probable psychological reasons SpongeBob would do this, but like all things related to this episode, it's a nice idea. The way the episode plays out is that there's a goofy montage and then SpongeBob suddenly thinks the car is out for him. If this was foreshadowed or built-up in any way this would be fine, but as is it's just another detour this episode takes that isn't well-done or satisfying. Then the episode decides to reveal that the reason SpongeBob went through all of this was because everyone was celebrating "National No SpongeBob Day" which might be one of the most insulting mis-understandings of the show's world throughout the entire series. The only mainstays in Bikini Bottom who have any sort of grudge with SpongeBob are Squidward and Mrs. Puff and even the ladder is arguable as she's mostly afraid of his boating rather than disliking him as a person. But the concept that the entirety of Bikini Bottom would go through with this is absolutely baffling. SpongeBob is probably one of the most-liked people in Bikini Bottom, so the the idea that everyone including his best friend Patrick would go through with this is not only cruel, but stupid. As a comedy it's unfunny and has a mean ending, as a semi-horror story it's uneven, underdeveloped and has a cop-out ending. It's one thing to have an episode doomed conceptually but it's even more sad to see a promising episode get botched at every opportunity. What a tragedy this episode is.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4

The Thing is just a bad episode, no matter how it's looked at. It's uncomfortable to watch at times and it's just not a pleasant experience. (it was on my list by the ways)

Gone... I don't think it's THAT bad. Yes, I just said that. Other than the bad ending, the episode is pretty good in my opinion. They got down the empty atmosphere perfectly and despite the ending hampering how much I like the episode, it's still not bad otherwise.

Edited by RDSP
  • Like 3

The Thing: I sgree with this being on the list, it's too cruel to Squidward and is unfunny as a result. This wasn't on my list but it wasn't that far away. 

Gone: Gone is a strange one to rate, because most of the episode to me is great. I really like the concept of the episode, and the episode did it well, it has a really cool creepy atmosphere to it that works well, and it feels both creepy and funny at the same time (sorta like Planet of the Jellyfish). I love all the scenes with Boaty, it's such a creative and funny way for the episode to go. However, the problem is the ending. The ending was kinda screwed no matter what since they had like one minute to end this story, but this executed that in the worst way possible. A holiday where they abandon Spongebob for weeks and weeks for him to go insane while they celebrate being away from him because they hate him so much, even going to the extent of building a statue and burning it to the ground and dancing on the ashes is horribly cruel, unfunny, and OOC for everyone except maybe Squidward. Even his friends such as Patrick and Sandy celebrate this holiday!!! What the heck? And then Spongebob completly supports celebrating this holiday aganist Patrick too, showing that EVERYONE is a piece of crap here (why nobody comments on this part is beyond me). So yeah, the episode is only decent to me as a result, the ending kills it.  I think this episode would have been better if it was a special, there could have been a cool ending where the vehicles were all bad and did something to the bikini bottomites and Spongebob needs to save them or something. That would have been cool, but unfortently, that's not how the episode continues. Regardless, it still isn't on my list. 

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: ??? 

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

The Thing is one I really never found funny but could never care about enough to hate, although it's fairly easy to guess that at least a few people can as it was a needless "Squidward gets treated like a ragdoll" episode and did just get beaten up more times than necessary.

Gone had a great atmosphere and SB slowly going insane from isolation was really fun to see given that happens to some people looking at you, For Profit Prison industry and your disgusting use of solitary confinement but yeah the ending sucks. If the ending bothers someone that much I can't really put it against them. It doesn't do enough to take away from the rest of the episode that much for me, but for some people it just will.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wintermelon43 said:

And then Spongebob completly supports celebrating this holiday aganist Patrick too, showing that EVERYONE is a piece of crap here (why nobody comments on this part is beyond me).

Admittedly, I find the No Patrick Day part funny.

I've said enough from Gone in 2016 list, so I didn't feel like commenting again after jjs picked me on this again. You can find it right here:

Spoiler

WhoBobIf there's one thing I have to admit, it's that this episode is not my least favorite SpongeBob episode. My #2 is my least favorite episode and the reason is that I think rest of the episode was decent. I enjoyed SpongeBob's impersonations of his friends and I enjoyed SpongeBob slowly going insane (it makes sense btw). But the reason why this is me my #1 is that the ending ruins rest of the episode. To be honest, the ending of Gone is my least favorite SpongeBob moment ever. I hate it more than my least favorite episode and here's why. All citizens of Bikini Bottom leave SpongeBob for weeks, so they can celebrate No SpongeBob Day. Why did they do that? Because they needed to stay away from SpongeBob's annoyance. Ok, I could see Squidward and Mrs. Puff leaving Bikini Bottom for weeks because they get annoyed by SpongeBob most but the whole town, especially for weeks? Not the mention they celebrate the day by burning SpongeBob status and dance on it's ashes? Seriously, this isn't just them staying away, this is basically them having a hate-boner for SpongeBob and they really don't seem to think the consequences of this. SpongeBob went insane because he was alone. Did nobody think of that? They never cared what could have happened to SpongeBob. That's very mean-spirited and it makes no sense whatsoever. I know people defended this because SpongeBob did cause trouble in the past, I'm not denying but he did more good than bad and no one in Bikini Bottom seems to recognize İt. Bikini Bottom would fall without SpongeBob, we know it's true. Mr. Krabs said it was celebrated because it was dedicated to honor SpongeBob or something similar like that but I call this a bullshit since burning SpongeBob's statue and dancing on it's ashes is sure a great way to honor him, right? Lets left the person that honor alone for weeks and celebrate the weeks of how much joyful it is not to have SpongeBob around, yet see this as honoring him. I could have at least SpongeBob's closest friends not supporting this but nope, they joined as well, no matter how SpongeBob is meant for them. Also I'm shocked that SpongeBob managed to accept this. Yeah, he's naive but not this naive. We saw what he can do when people piss him off. Okay, maybe I'm taking this too seriously but that's because I love SpongeBob and I care for him, he's one of my favorite characters of all-time. Seeing everyone puking their hatred for SpongeBob, even his closest friends makes me hate the ending since I know SpongeBob is a good person and he doesn't deserve any of this. As a joke, I don't see how it's funny in any way, it's very cruel and I don't like it. This is how I feel about the ending. I really think it's the worst moment in SpongeBob history. If rest of the episode sucked as well, this would be no doubt my least favorite SpongeBob episode of all-time but this is still gonna be my #1 because the ending ruins rest of the episode.

As a result, I gave up commentary and I'm glad someone else took it. I couldn't agree with Honest Slug more and thankfully he got the opportunity to comment on it. Although I did like rest of the episode, that ending stands everything against at what the show built up for years. I usually find people hating an episode for one scene (toenails) or the end nonsensical but sometimes proper endings matter to the story you tell because Gone's ending ruined the whole writing of this episode and that biggest mistake in this show's history as that ending shouldn't be ignored. The most mean spirited episode of SpongeBob ever.

I still consider The Thing one of the worst episodes of season 4 but just like almost all weak season 4 episodes, It doesn't bother me as much anymore.

• Like 2

I took The Thing off my list this year, but in retrospect I have no idea why. There is nothing enjoyable about this episode. It just craps on Squidward constantly without being funny in the slightest. It's an unpleasant episode to watch through and through. Despite being at the bottom of this list most of the time, I feel this episode doesn't get nearly the amount of vitriol it deserves. Even the "Squidward abuse" haters seem to forget about this boring, mean-spirited mess while picking on episodes that are at least interesting or funny.

• Like 2

The Thing: I could think this episode is forgotten episode to me because there's isn't that much to say as i don't really like it. I guess the ending dud somehow made Squidward felt happy to see Kelpy G, and nothing else so there's that.

Gone: uh..did this episode deserve to be worst? no Do I liked it even though the ending explained it why left? Somewhat. I only liked the rest of the episide where SB impostered (sp?) his friends (even Ms Puff :P) is still funny to me (while later episode Maintic (sp?) Madness is much more funnier IMO). Otherwide, I don't see the hate for this even it's not on my list anymore. I can say it's very mixed to me.

• Like 1

gone is still one of my favorite episodes of the season sorry lads, the end is funny as hell and if i lived in bikini bottom i’d probably participate in no spongebob day too. lol 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lovie⭐ said:

gone is still one of my favorite episodes of the season sorry lads, the end is funny as hell and if i lived in bikini bottom i’d probably participate in no spongebob day too. lol 

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who thinks Gone is one of, if not, the best episode of Season 6.

Pretty much went incredibly far in depth about how great this episode was two years ago and really don’t feel like repeating myself.

I will say that The Thing is just super forgettable and not really worth the hate either.  Plus any episode that brings us a cool one note character in Kelpy G is a-ok in my books.

• Like 3