• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

1 minute ago, Powdered Toast JCM said:

41. I liked Pet Sitter Pat when I first watched it, and while I haven't watched it since, I feel like comparisons to APFG are super overblown. Yeah, Patrick acts stupid, but Patrick always acts stupid, and I don't recall the episode having any of the major problems APFG had. Plus, they brought back Grandma SquarePants for the first time in ages, and I always have a soft spot for episodes that bring back old characters.

well the problem is more of his stupidity causing a bigger danger for the characters without him getting consequences of his actions. You are right that Patrick is always so stupid but don't make him destructive. I always prefered Patrick saying stupid things over him doing stupid things.

I had neither on my list, but I was still honestly expecting both to show up higher. Whatever Happened to is another "special" in which absolutely nothing interesting happens whatsoever, and Pet Sitter has pretty much the same flaws as A Pal For Gary to a lesser extent. If the rest of the episode wasn't so completely middle of the road as par as the course is for season 8, then it would've made mine as even though the flamethrower scene is nearly just as stupid as "Put Puffy Fluffy down!", it definitely wasn't dragged on as much and was at least not directly tied into the ending. I'd still put Pet Sitter in the 25-40 range though, it should definitely be higher than this.

• Like 1

the hate for pet sitter pat seemed like kind of a fad, tbh i didn't like it and still don't but a lot of the hate it gets seems to be overblown. sure patrick sucks but it isnt his worst appearance imo. 

whatever happened to spongebob has much more warranted hate, i remember i didn't even like that episode when i was a kid lol. the plot is tin as an ice sheet and the cheap amnesia device isnt even used very well. plus wtf is up with the greasers and everyone hating bubbles out of nowhere, i get it's a cartoon but designing the city to shit on spongebob was so contrived. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I still hate Pet Sitter Pat because of how unfunny Patrick is and how lame the jokes are. With that said I didn't have it on my list cuz there's other episodes that I hate more and the sub-plot is fine, but I was heavily considering it. It's pretty much an honorable mention for me.

Whatever Happened to SpongeBob is similar. It's still awful, but there's a couple of other specials that are more useless and bigger wastes of time.

• Like 1

What Ever Happened to SpongeBob... what can be said about it has already been said. When it's not being mean-spirited, it's boring as all hell. I don't even know how I forgot to put it on my list, as it deserves a spot on it.

Pet Sitter Pat is that one episode that I... never really cared for. In fact, I've cared so little about it that I haven't watched it in a while. It's bad as far as I remember though.

• Like 1

"Whatever Happened to Spongebob Squarepants?": Eh, I could take it or leave it. / "Pet Sitter Pat": I actually consider this a NON-Big Lipped Alligator Moment Episode version of "I Was a Teenage Gary". At least Patrick actually TRIED to take care of Gary; whereas Squidward DELIBERATELY ignored Gary for THREE straight days! (Which was a pretty AWFUL plot point in my decision, and the ending felt just mondo bizarro, even BY "Spongebob Squarepants" standards!) Bottom line is, I don't hate "Pet Sitter Pet", especially compared to what are bound to be far WORSE episode segments lurking on this list!

40. Face Freeze!

5T6YPpn.png?1

71 points. 4 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: 2 #2's - @BeachBob95 & @crushingmayhem

Summary:

Spoiler

SpongeBob and Patrick are eating lunch at the Krusty Krab. While eating, they start making ugly faces at each other. Mr. Krabs hears them laughing, and thinks it's the sound of his money being flushed down the toilet. He rushes out of his office to see them making faces at each other and tells them to stop. He then tells them a story about a man (Fred Rechid) who would not stop sticking his tongue out. One day, after sticking his tongue out for the four hundred and forty-fourth time, his face got frozen with his tongue out. Then, after it got frozen, it eventually dried up and fell off. SpongeBob and Patrick are terrified of this story and vow never to make faces again.

Later that day, SpongeBob and Patrick are seen trying hard not to make faces. However, they start smirking about their attempts at doing this and eventually start laughing so hard their faces start contorting. They then realize that nothing happened to their faces while doing this and that Mr. Krabs was lying. SpongeBob then suggests that they should really put Mr. Krabs' myth to the test and while making a single continuous face. As they go to many places in Bikini Bottom they scare everyone that sees them. Then at the Goo Lagoon, Sandy finds them and says that they need help.

Later that night, SpongeBob and Patrick are seen in a tent back outside SpongeBob's house laughing at each other's faces, along with making a lot of noise. Squidward's eardrums eventually burst and he starts yelling at them to keep it down. SpongeBob then suggests to Patrick that they try sleeping through the night while holding a face. Patrick agrees and they start doing this while giving Squidward some peace and quiet.

The next day, SpongeBob and Patrick wake up and realize their faces are frozen and both of them cannot move their faces. They start screaming and rush down to Sandy's Treedome for help. Sandy then starts giving them a face massage. However, this just makes their faces even more distorted and they droop down to their chins. SpongeBob goes to work at the Krusty Krab anyway, despite his ridiculous frozen face.

At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob causes a lot of ruckus as he tries to make Krabby Patties and keeps Mr. Krabs from looking at his face at the same time. However, Mr. Krabs eventually finds out about SpongeBob's face freeze problem because Patrick walks into the Krusty Krab with a contorted frozen face. An angry Mr. Krabs then makes a face and it freezes, followed by Squidward coming in and laughing at them. He laughs so hard that his face freezes too, and the episode ends with SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs laughing and Squidward crying whilst having frozen faces. And they all learned a lesson.

Jjs: Even though I don't exactly agree with this one being on the countdown, I understand why it's on here. While I personally don't mind them and find a few amusing, I get why some of the faces bother people to this day. I can appreciate the creativity that went into some of them, even if some are a bit batshit crazy. I did find a few parts of the episode amusing, like Sandy saying "you two need help". I also like that SpongeBob and Patrick did at least get their proper punishment for not listening to Mr. Krabs. If there is one problem I have with this episode, it's that it can definitely teeter on the immature side of things, which I get why would hurt the episode to many. And yeah, at the end of the day, it is another "let's copy Hooky's formula" episode, which was getting played out at this point in the series and results in the plot feeling a tad bare bones. It does feel like they only used the faces to cover for the episode's "ehh" story (which is sadly something that would happen again in multiple S10/S11 episodes), and if you're not a fan of the faces or the jokes in general, then this episode doesn't have much to offer for you. I personally don't hold any ill will towards this one, but I respect this episode isn't for everyone. I guess we have to accept this one is probably forever doomed to have the reputation it has. Although, this is the lowest it has ever made it on one of these countdowns, and it only made four lists, so it does seem like the hate for this one is dying off a bit at least.

BeachBob95: This is only #40? What are the positives about this episode? There are so many problems here. Most importantly, this episode isn't funny to me. For example, the story about this guy who stuck his tongue out could have been way funnier, right? Secondly, the plot is very very uninspired.. It's literally just weird faces, which gets boring after 10 seconds. Sure, you could say that the faces were creative, but I just thought they looked weird and cheap. Not to mention the weird voice acting while making the faces. Also, at one part the location that SpongeBob and Patrick are at is.. sand? Void? There are more episodes with this problem, but I really felt like this could have been much more interesting, visually. In the end the plot is never resolved, and the faces everybody has are not funny nor interesting. The are ... ugly.

The worst thing of all is that after watching this episode, I kind of wanted to give up on the show, since I really did not enjoy this. The plot is uninspired and boring, there was only one 'joke', the voice acting as well as the background music annoyed me, and the ending left me very unsatisfied. This episode didn't make me angry, like 'SpongeBob You're Fired' did with it's defective plot, but it had it's own problems. It made me sad to see that the people working on the show didn't want to put more effort in making each episode a good ol' classic SpongeBob tale, and could get away with something awkward like Face Freeze. This is one of those episodes that makes you think that it could have been better if they had asked you to rework the storyboards.

This was a nothing episode. It doesn't 'try something new', because it didn't try hard enough to do anything in my opinion. It's my second least favourite episode, and every time I watch it I just want it to magically be better.

39. Squidward's School for Grown Ups

LixkojE.png?1

71 points. 7 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #8 - @More

Summary:

Spoiler

The episode starts as SpongeBob and Patrick walking to each other and then they start to play - the idea of their game is to holler at the vehicles that pass by, which angers Squidward and some of the people in the vehicles. Then, Patrick falls asleep and when he wakes up he has a beard. Then, Squidward passes by and offers to teach Patrick everything he knows about how to be mature which upsets SpongeBob. SpongeBob decides to follow them promising he will learn how to be mature as well.

The three go into Squidward's house for a grown-up makeover. SpongeBob shows off his new look. Patrick likes his look until Squidward reminds him that he really shouldn't. They then go to a restaurant, and Patrick and Squidward order some tetrazzini while SpongeBob orders the milk and cookies. Then, they go to the art place and SpongeBob follows them around and Patrick and Squidward tell the security to kick him out and he first put him out softly, but he doesn't leave so he ends up kicking him. SpongeBob sees Squidward and Patrick walking and Squidward mentions that the beard was the best thing that ever happened to Patrick other than himself. SpongeBob tries to remove his beard to restore his friendship. Squidward stops him and says that they are through with him.

Then, Squidward and Patrick go to the Opera House and they see a lady which is really SpongeBob singing opera which Patrick says "she's beautiful." After SpongeBob sang opera to win Patrick back, Patrick begins to cry and sees the beard is really a sea urchin and the sea urchin woke up and ran away from Patrick. He chased it until SpongeBob says Patrick's name and he says "How do you know my name?" and he says that he is SpongeBob and they make up again then Squidward told all the guests that the show is horrible, but they disagree and threw food at him then the episode ends.

Jjs: Here's another new addition to these countdowns. This one was close to making it on the 2016 list, so I'm not surprised it finally made it on. I know this is a S8 ep that hasn't been looked at favorably ever since its premiere in 2011. In all honesty, I never had anything against this episode. Nothing about it ever resonated with me as being really bad. I'll admit the first half is stupid and not really funny, but I thought the second half was okay. The Squidward/Patrick pairing was at least something different, even if it didn't go that far. I'll admit SpongeBob can probably be annoying to people in this episode, so I sort of get why would people would dislike it in that regard. If nothing else, I did like the opera SpongeBob put on for Patrick at the end. Ultimately though, I find this one forgettable more than anything. Overall, I don't have many strong feelings one way or the other toward this one. I'll let Slug take it away from here since he had this episode in his bottom 10.

Honest Slug: Squidward's School for Grown Ups is what happens when you take Patrick SmartPants, remove any subtly or nuance, and add in the annoyance of Choir Boys for good measure. I know some people might not understand why someone would put this as their #10 worst episode, but speaking for myself, I find this episode extremely annoying and aggravating. The concept is similar to Patrick SmartPants where something changes with Patrick (In this case, a beard) and he has to adapt to a more adult life-style. The main problem with this conflict is that you have to give a good reason why Patrick would switch back to the childish life-style. The problem lies in the fact that this episode's depiction of being a child is stuff like boat screaming. In Patrick SmartPants while SpongeBob was immature in comparison to Patrick's sophistication there he was actually charming and you could see why Patrick would want to have fun again. In this episode SpongeBob is completely irritating and loud throughout the entire thing. I didn't feel sorry at all for SpongeBob by the end of the episode because he was so loud and annoying that I was actually happy that Patrick was moving on from him. The humor was really bad as well. It was either loud and in your face like the mentioned boat screaming part, awkward humor about SpongeBob being clueless and exaggerations of the stuffy adult world. None of which works for me and in fact cements the episode's failures. When you factor in the terrible humor and the completely botched message, this is an episode I find insufferable to sit through in a season that was mostly a boring slog. I'm very glad this made the list.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

Face Freeze! is the type of episode I would have found cool as a kid but that I think is just...weird today. I don't think it's a bottom two episode, as two members apparently thought, and there are episodes that have gotten way closer to driving me away from SpongeBob. 

Squidward's School for Grown Ups I thought was funny. Of course, I liked Patrick SmartPants, too, and if they're gonna rip off an episode, it might as well be a good one. It also reminded me a lot of Grandma's Kisses in its simplistic view of adulthood vs. childhood, and somebody in that transition phase myself, I find it charming and almost-nostalgic.

• Like 1

Face Freeze: Not on my list, but still a bad episode because it's literally nothing but faces. Literally nothing else to say because the episode is literally just that

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups: What??? This made the list? And 7 people picked it? I knew it was hated but I didn't know it was THIS hated! I honestly like this episode, sorry. There's great humor, I like the plot, I like the song, I like the settings, and Patrick's characterization is amazing here, he seems to almost be some sort of combination of "mature" and "immature" and it seems like he's trying to be both, and he doesn't act way too stupid or way too much of a jerk either, and it's really cool. My only problem with it that I can remember is that the way both sides are portrayed feel wrong, it's stereotypical and kinda one-sided, and it suggests that maturity means you can never do or be anything sorta childish and vice versa for immaturity and it shouldn't be like that, like come on, you can be mature and eat cookies, or be mature and go to some places that aren't very adult-like, you can be immature and not scream at the side of the road, and so on. Kinda hard to explain. But yeah, it feels kinda stereotypical, but other than that I really like the episode. 

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: ???

28: The Thing

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

I always felt indifferent to Face Freeze, especially after getting season 10-11 wacky faces (tho those aren't as cringy as some of them here). Some faces were funny, some were so ugly and disturbing. The plot was so Hooky that I didn't give a crap and the ending of Mr. Krabs and Squidward having face freeze this quickly made no sense but at the same time, seeing Mr. Krabs as a wise guy, rather than a greedy guy is great.

I always disliked Squidward's School for Grown Ups but eh, there are much worse episodes than that one honestly. At best, it's just whatever. Opera SpongeBob is godly however, bless her.

• Like 1

40: Jesus H Christ come on now

This episode isn't really bad, it lacks a bit of substance and it could get a bit grating, but I wouldn't even think about putting it in the bottom 50 unless I legitimately forgot a few episodes beforehand, the faces weren't really that bad and even if they were I can't fathom hating them enough to put it on the list. At least the placement is much more reasonable than last time's.

39: I...don't get the hate for it. Definitely a bad episode, but no matter what I do there's no way I could bring myself to hate it either, I could get it being on the outskirts of the list in the 45-50 range but being in the bottom 40 doesn't sit too well with me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

of course face freeze has no substance but i can't imagine ranking it as high on the list as some people might have done otherwise so i can;t really comment on that. 

on the other hand i feel like squidward's school for grownups is like a slightly less bad version of professor squidward so i'm surprised to see that it's ranked higher on the list. i feel like the hate for professor squidward has dimmed with time and the hate for these lesser-known episodes is becoming more common. i don't necessarily agree but its nice to see diversity of episodes on the lists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Face Freeze: Face Freeze is like aggravating episode to me, it just SB & Patrick goofing around making silly faces that gone too far. At least they got punished from takuing Mr Krabs's lession though, and of course the ending leaves me smh.

Squidward's School for Grow up: I don't know what to like it or not, but this is borinbg & lazy episode. SB is annoying at times. and yeah humors was bad. Nothing else to say but this is forgotten to me.

• Thanks 1

Face Freeze is still my favourite Season 8 episode, and while I totally understand why people hate this one, I still love the face designs, as well as some of the lines told.

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups made the list I submitted, though my dislike on the episode has decreased, I still find Squidward incredibly unlikable in this one.

Spoiler

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. ???

7. ???

8. ???

9. ???

10. ???

11. ???

12. ???

13. ???

14. ???

15. ???

16. ???

17. Professor Squidward (#47)

18. ???

19. ???

20. The Thing (#46)

21. ???

22. ???

23. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (#39)

24. ???

25. Plankton's Regular (#48)

• Thanks 1

I'm so glad that Squidward's School for Grown-Ups managed to crack the list this year. While Patrick's performance was decent, the beginning was annoying, SpongeBob and Squidward are exaggerated opposites that are insufferable, and the second half seems to twist the focus and botch the message to the point of being toxic. Face Freeze! is one I expected to show up. Didn't make my list but it's still one of the laziest episodes the show's released to date.

1. ???

2. ???

3. ???

4. ???

5. ???

6. Pet Sitter Pat (#41)

7. ???

8. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (#39)

9. ???

10. ???

11. ???

12. ???

13. ???

14. ???

15. Sun Bleached (#43)

16. ???

17. ???

18. ???

19. ???

20. ???

21. ???

22. ???

23. ???

24. ???

25. ???

• Like 1

Face Freeze is just boring. When it's not being annoying or creepy, nothing of value is going on. It's just... there.

As for Squidward's School for Grown Ups... that one's also just there, though FAR from being as bad as Face Freeze. There's not much else that can be said, other than it's more boring than anything and it was far from making my list.

• Like 1