• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jinjo

Restraining SpongeBob has a great premise but is just squandered potential, which is the most disappointing aspect of all to me.  Hasn’t made my list any of the times since this tradition has started because it doesn’t outright bother me, but I can see why other people would place it on theirs.

Best Day Ever on the other hand, should not be here.  The most I’ve ever seen people complain about it is because of it not living up to the hype Nickelodeon gave towards it.  Seriously throw that nostalgic disappointment out the window because this is a decently executed episode that has one of the most mind numbingly happy songs this series will ever have.  Also it’s 2018 and it is ridiculous to hate something this innocent and ridiculous for over ten years.

• Like 6

Restraining SpongeBob is one of those episodes that isn't one of my favourites but at the same time I can't exactly tell what's up with it. It's a rather frustrating episode that has little purpose.

Best Day Ever... I don't think it deserves to be on the list. Sure, it was overhyped but bottom 50 of the whole series? Not even close. It was definitely a bit boring but was it really that bad? Nah, there's far worse out there.

• Like 3

If it's any consolation to any people out there; now that I have seen the episode segment "Ink Lemonade", I'd replace "Best Day Ever", so "Ink Lemonade" would be on the list instead. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

• Thanks 7

For "Restraining SpongeBob", I completely forgot of its existence until today. And then I remembered how braindead annoying Patrick was being in this episode, which is something I never liked the new episodes to do. I would've liked the premise better or give it a tentative pass had it not been for Patrick's behavior in this episode. News flash: Stupidity doesn't automatically equal funny. He may have been that way in other episodes but it's this episode that ups that trait to 11, and not in a good way.

As for "Best Day Ever", I agree with the others saying that it doesn't really deserve a spot on here. Especially if it's one spot below freaking "Restraining SpongeBob". If anything, it's more of a disappointing episode but not really a bad disappointment either. Really, this episode and "Karate Island" are both episodes I just don't get the hate for.

• Like 1

Best Day Ever was on my list as well. In my country there was no hype for it. I just think the story is really lame and uninspired. Also it wasn't very funny. It's not the worst, since it is only on the edge of my list.

Restraining SpongeBob was just meh for me. Not that bad, but kinda boring and annoying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

Best Day Ever ain't an episode worth hating, but it's not really worth defending either. C'mon guys, save your pitchforks for when Pranks a Lot gets on the list again

I actually like Best Day Ever more than Pranks a Lot :P

48: Plankton's Regular I agree is bad, for an episode with an original concept it's surprisengly boring and i feel like the concept wasn't executed well. Mr Krabs shouldn't have cared so much about Plankton having one customer, and the plot twist might have been too cruel for Plankton. 

47: I simply find this episode meh. Honestly it's not a squid abuse since Squidward impersonated Squilliam to teach the class anyway so it was all justified, and the episode has a few good jokes. I just find it boring and bland

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: ??? 

49: ??? 

48: ??? 

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: ???

43: ???

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: ???

39: ???

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: ???

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: ???

29: ???

28: ???

27: ???

26: ???

25: ???

24: ???

23: ???

22: ???

21: ???

20: ???

19: ???

18: ???

17: ???

16: ???

15: ???

14: ???

13: ???

12: ???

11: ???

10: ???

9: ???

8: ???

7: ???

6: ???

5: ???

4: ???

3: ???

2: ???

1: ???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

I'm not letting that happen this year around, so no need to blame me if it does.

People would just blame me regardless, nobody else got any comments despite it being on two other lists :glare:

As for Plankton's Regular....I honestly completely forgot about it. Seeing it on here I'd definitely put it in my 20's in retrospect, I just have no clue as to how I blanked on its' existence.

• Thanks 1

An ending, in my eyes, can ruin an episode just as easily as it can make an episode an all-time great. The ending to Plankton's Regular is problematic not just because of how it treats Plankton in contrast to Mr. Krabs, who honestly acts worse throughout the episode but is given his moment of triumph because of course he does but because it effectively renders pointless everything that came before it. All of the buildup to what might have been an interesting conclusion with SpongeBob trying to get Nat to eat a Krabby Patty and Mr. Krabs trying to steal Plankton's formula for once leads to some of the worst writing I've seen in a season packed with horrible writing and an ending that I feel cheats the viewer. They might as well have done the standard "it was all a dream" ending and it probably would have frustrated me less.

The episode I can most easily compare Plankton's Regular to when discussing what I think about it is Plankton's Pet. A PR-like ending to Plankton's Pet would involve Spot not coming back, Plankton getting mauled by the animals in the shelter, and Mr. Krabs showing up to laugh at him for good measure. An ending can define an episode, and while PP's ending propels it from being just a good episode to being one of the all-time greats, PR's ending sinks it from being just a bad episode to being one of the worst I've ever seen. Yeah, OCM is a worse Plankton-Krabs ep all-around, but I'm not giving Plankton's Regular a free pass just because it's not the worst Plankton-Krabs ep, and I don't think the rest of the community should, either.

Professor Squidward I don't remember much at all, and how forgettable it is is probably its best aspect.

• Like 7

Plankton's Regular was... not great. It was boring and Mr. Krabs was greedy as heck here. That's all I can say, as there's little substance to this episode otherwise.

Professor Squidward on the other hand is an 11 minute waste of time. It's borderline unfunny and it's among the most boring episodes of the show.

• Like 1

Plankton's Regular is the only Plankton episode in s6 I find it bad. It's no longer as terrible as I thought it was but it had bad gross out jokes and a shitty end. Just like what JCM, said, If this episode had tried harder, It would have been a great role switch episode.

As for Professor Squidward, I always thought Squidward deserved punishment in this one but that's not enough to make this one good. It was just boring and tedious to watch.

• Like 1

I will defend Professor Squidward as being Not That Bad until the day I die, but Plankton's Regular is certainly a stupid episode with a paper-thin premise and a nasty mean streak. Didn't make my list, but maybe it should have. Whatever.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

I will defend Professor Squidward as being Not That Bad until the day I die, but Plankton's Regular is certainly a stupid episode with a paper-thin premise and a nasty mean streak. Didn't make my list, but maybe it should have. Whatever.

There are many bad episodes, so sacrifices had to be made.