• Advertisement

Ghostbusters (2016)

Katniss

2 minutes ago, Katniss said:

It bothers me that the only black main character acts like a sassy stereotype :/

I agree.  Instead of all the controversy regarding the gender of the main cast, how about the fact they made the black main character the same uneducated street smart sassy stereotype that never goes away?

While I'm not saying everyone should enjoy the trailer, if the trailer doesn't interest you, then the movie probably won't interest you, that's basic human logic. But I feel with people saying that the movie is going to suck just because of the trailers, I feel are being a little too judgemental.

I can understand of the argument of "Trailers should showcase exactly the movie's best material, and if doesn't have any of that, then the movie will suck", but there have been quite a few popular movies that got negative impressions from the trailers. For example, the trailer to the first Star Wars movie. People mostly complained that the trailer made it look like some sort of horror movie, but then later became one of the greatest movie series of all time. Heck, even Frozen got that impression when the first trailer for it came out, and that later became the highest grossing animated film to date.

My point is, You shouldn't just judge the movie by it's cover. Who knows, maybe everyone will be right and it will suck (I wouldn't really be surprised though), or maybe it could become a movie so great, that even the original Ghostbusters would become an insult to it.

• Like 1

"I don't know if it's a race thing or a lady thing"

W--wait, is that a joke or a serious statement? It's not funny and it doesn't help with the stereotype either. :/

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER: This is not referring to anyone on SBC.

I'm bored sick of the controversy surrounding this, it's just a bleeding movie. Blame our atrocious entertainment market if you're mad about it being another one of many unnecessary remakes/reboots. Blame the fact that people complain about shit if you're tired of the complaining and stop accusing people of being sexist/racist to "justify" your opinions, just don't care what other people think and be proud. Why is this so hard? <_<  

• Like 1

Reboot has some potential I think but unfortunately all this controversy surrounding it has buried its reputation before it's even been released. Those trailers, though... woof, certainly don't do the movie any favours. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I'm genuinely dumbfounded by the fact that someone not wanting to see a movie is actually causing controversy...

I saw the video in question and I agree with him. The original Ghostbusters had charming characters and great writing. These movies cannot exist without these characters. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are male. Honestly I agree with him that they should've made it a few years ago and introduced a younger group of Ghostbusters that took over the lantern, so to speak. 

I also feel like every part of the reboot feels like a by committe project made solely to pander to modern audiences. The all women cast and the black stereotype feel like a ploy to remain somehow relevant.

Let me state I'm not sexist, I just feel like they made that decision based off of feminism and to appeal to that crowd.

I hate how the movie has women= if you dislike it therefore you hate the fact it has women and are sexist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

I'm genuinely dumbfounded by the fact that someone not wanting to see a movie is actually causing controversy...

Same. Here.

"If this truly is the Ghostbusters movie that no one wanted, the box office results should reflect that."

"The box office results should reflect that."

"THE BOX OFFICE RESULTS SHOULD REFLECT THAT."

It makes no sense to me how James Rolfe's video (if I'm not mistaken) is causing controversy because nothing about it was controversial. It had nothing to do with feminism or anti-feminism, he didn't say anything snide or condescending about the cast being female, he just told it like it was. If the movie stinks, just don't go. That's the best possible advice you can give anyone who's complaining about an upcoming movie they think is going to suck. Watch it if you think it looks good, don't watch it if you think it looks bad. Because who knows? If it becomes a hit despite being bad, they just might make another movie just like it...

Edited by Metal Snake
  • Like 3

Bumping this cuz it gets released this friday and most critics really seem to like it but nesrly everyone else has been bashing the shit out of it. I had no hopes for this but damn, is it really that awful? I don't think I'm gonna watch it. I wasn't too much of a fan of original anyway.

9 minutes ago, Dr. WhoBob said:

Bumping this cuz it gets released this friday and most critics really seem to like it but nesrly everyone else has been bashing the shit out of it. I had no hopes for this but damn, is it really that awful? I don't think I'm gonna watch it. I wasn't too much of a fan of original anyway.

People have been bashing on this movie for ages, they're not going to stop now. I would say watch it for yourself so you can form your own opinion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Katniss said:

People have been bashing on this movie for ages, they're not going to stop now. I would say watch it for yourself so you can form your own opinion.

True but i like to hear other's opinions as well lel. 

30 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

Heard the movie is surprisingly decent. I guess you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

well, critics seem to like it a bit but here's tons of negative stuff I'm hearing from the audience like they think it's portrayal of men is actually sexist (Chris Hemsworth's character being just a dumbass scientist and there's the climax 

Spoiler

ghostbusters shooting ghosts in the dick.

) sterotypical black woman, bad acting and the jokes mostly being just slapsticks and pop-culture references. It was prob not their intention to make males look like bad but as for the rest, no thanks. I'll still judge it myself but from what I'm hearing, it doesn't look appealing at all.

11 hours ago, Teamwork said:

Heard the movie is surprisingly decent. I guess you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

I find this bold part hilariously ironic because it feels like every movie thread lately involves somebody talking about what the movie's Rotten Tomatoes score is and/or what other critics are saying on YouTube.  That's still judging a book by its cover.  You want to actually judge the movie?  See it for yourself and format your own opinion.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Clappy said:

I find this bold part hilariously ironic because it feels like every movie thread lately involves somebody talking about what the movie's Rotten Tomatoes score is and/or what other critics are saying on YouTube.  That's still judging a book by its cover.  You want to actually judge the movie?  See it for yourself and format your own opinion.

That's what people should have done in the first place. If your childhood is so delicate that a movie like this can ruin it before you've even seen it, the problem is with you, not the movie.

• Like 4