• Advertisement

Ghostbusters (2016)

Katniss

The first trailer for Paul Feig's female-led Ghosbusters reboot is finally here. What do you guys think?

It looks okay to me, but then again I haven't seen the original Ghostbusters, so. *shrug*

Edited by Katniss

Woah a lot of dislikers of the video.

I gotta say. Even tho I've never watched original Ghostbusters, there's apart of me that is a little skeptical about it. The jokes in the trailer mostly didn't work for me and it seems like in the trailer, we'll have a black stereotype. I'm fine with black characters but making the character a stereotype concerns me. On the other hand, this is made by Paul Feig, who made Spy, which is one of my fav movies of 2015. He also made Bridesmaid, which I still need to see. So I have a hope for Paul Feid. I have mixed feelings so far but I hope I'll like it.

I should mention that Chris Hemsworth will be in the movie, omf YES.

Every Paul Feig trailer is usually mediocre af.  Especially the first trailer and this was no exception.  I have a feeling this will end up being good, but man there is no denying that this was disappointing.  I get that Feig probably wanted to hold back on the good stuff for the actual movie like he always does but this is different.  It's a reboot of one of the most iconic comedy franchises of all time.  The least you could have done is have at least one of the big moments like oh I dunno...A CAMEO FROM BILL MURRAY AND/OR DAN AKROYD!?  I'll probably end up seeing this regardless but that was incredibly underwhelming.

It looks like it could be good (keyword being "could"), coming from a Ghostbusters fan myself. I also don't mind there being an all female cast for this one. I'm also gonna go out on a whim and say this is more of a sequel (more so "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or "Force Awakens") than a reboot considering the trailer acknowledges the original Ghostbusters, just this time around, it's a new generation of Ghostbusters. That said, part of me is afraid that this won't turn out good or even decent. But who knows, only time will tell. Edit: Okay, I just looked at the like:dislike ratio, I'm starting to worry some more about this.

Edited by illiniguy34

1 hour ago, illiniguy34 said:

It looks like it could be good (keyword being "could"), coming from a Ghostbusters fan myself. I also don't mind there being an all female cast for this one. I'm also gonna go out on a whim and say this is more of a sequel (more so "Star Trek: The Next Generation" or "Force Awakens") than a reboot considering the trailer acknowledges the original Ghostbusters, just this time around, it's a new generation of Ghostbusters. That said, part of me is afraid that this won't turn out good or even decent. But who knows, only time will tell. Edit: Okay, I just looked at the like:dislike ratio, I'm starting to worry some more about this.

Why does the like/dislike ratio worry you? Almost no one was on board with this when it was announced and regardless of how entertaining this trailer was (or how not entertaining) it was never going to keep people from hating this simply because it's a new Ghostbusters movie without the original Ghostbusters. People love to hate. It's not cool to like things on the Internet. If you think this'll be good or if you enjoyed the trailer then you know where you stand on this and the general public shouldn't affect how you think of something because the general public isn't the end-all-be-all of entertainment. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the only thing I can add to termi's argument is that Youtube is known for having some BS like/dislike ratios. Regarding the movie, I don't know. It just feels a bit too late for me. Even if it ends up being good, Ghostbusters is just one of those franchises I've moved on from.

2 hours ago, Boxy Robot said:

Why does the like/dislike ratio worry you? Almost no one was on board with this when it was announced and regardless of how entertaining this trailer was (or how not entertaining) it was never going to keep people from hating this simply because it's a new Ghostbusters movie without the original Ghostbusters. People love to hate. It's not cool to like things on the Internet. If you think this'll be good or if you enjoyed the trailer then you know where you stand on this and the general public shouldn't affect how you think of something because the general public isn't the end-all-be-all of entertainment. 

The like:dislike ratio worries me because the first trailer is meant to grasp the audience's attention and if there's more negative reception than positive, there's gonna be trouble. I mean you don't show up to a job interview looking like a mess, first impressions can make or break. Even if it does turn out good and it tanks because the general public didn't like it, bye bye Ghostbusters. Now granted, Ghostbusters will probably get rebooted later on down the line, though I'd rather not wait x amount of years just to see them on the big screen again.

Edited by illiniguy34

2 minutes ago, illiniguy34 said:

The like:dislike ratio worries me because the first trailer is meant to grasp the audience's attention and if there's more negative reception than positive, there's gonna be trouble.

It's the internet though.  People are always going to be overtly skeptical and negative about things.  At the end of the day, it comes down to how you feel about things and not what the general public thinks.  This is the same general public that will vote thumbs down and still go out and see it anyway.

Just now, Clappy said:

It's the internet though.  People are always going to be overtly skeptical and negative about things.  At the end of the day, it comes down to how you feel about things and not what the general public thinks.  This is the same general public that will vote thumbs down and still go out and see it anyway.

It's because even if it turns out to be good and no one sees it (I.e. it tanks), kiss bye bye to any sequels.

Just now, illiniguy34 said:

It's because even if it turns out to be good and no one sees it (I.e. it tanks), kiss bye bye to any sequels.

And they'll still try to reboot it thirty years later with a newer and younger cast of characters because it made the studio highly profitable so many years ago.  Hence why we keep getting sequels and reboots if the sequels flopped that no one asked for.

13 minutes ago, Clappy said:

And they'll still try to reboot it thirty years later with a newer and younger cast of characters because it made the studio highly profitable so many years ago.  Hence why we keep getting sequels and reboots if the sequels flopped that no one asked for.

Yeah probably, as unfortunate as it is.

6 minutes ago, Patty Sponge said:

And of course, the internet is being a bunch of sexist crybabies...

Really? My issue with the movie isn't that it has an all female cast, it's that I don't like they're rebooting it in the first place and the tone isn't like the original two movies.

On 3/4/2016 at 10:56 AM, Patty Sponge said:

And of course, the internet is being a bunch of sexist crybabies...

Not at all, actually. You can't make an entire comedy based around the gag of "oh, they're female but they act OUTRAGEOUS!", because that's literally all this is. Oh, there's the black one, so she's GOTTA be sassy and streetwise! They sure as hell didn't just stereotype the black guy in the original for laughs. They actually wrote jokes.

• Like 5