• Advertisement

The Powerpuff Girls Reboot 2016

Clappy

6 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I'll take it that nobody wants to Powerpuff yourself?

Haven't bothered to watch a single episode of this reboot but I read about the transgender controversy.  I'm better off staying away from this trainwreck and rewatch Best Rainy Adventure Day Ever.

South Parking yourself is cooler. :funny:

23 hours ago, Fred Rechid said:

You know what? I'm going to say it. I don't care who disagrees with me, but I'm about to go there.

Teen Titans Go is better than this show.

I'm not going to deny this reboot has issues (trust me, it has its problems from the episodes I've seen), but I think it's way too early to say that, imo. Until this show starts making episodes that are just as bad, if not worse than, episodes like Uncle Jokes, Staring at the Future, Hot Garbage, The Return of Slade, Two Bumble Bees and a Wasp, Salty Codgers, More of The Same, and 97% of Season 3 so far, I can't really agree with that. 

However, if we're going off of your point on comparing the reboot to just early Season 1 of TTG!, I could maybe understand that as early Season 1 is probably the "best" era of that show (not saying much overall), but even then, there were only really two standout episodes from that era. Regardless, I still think it's jumping the gun a bit to compare the two this early, as TTG is in Season 3 and PPG is only about 11 episodes in.

But if the reboot gets worse by the end of S1, you have the right to quote me on this and say "I told you so".

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4

Guest hilaryfan80

I'm going to butt in here.

The unicorn episode was actually a good thing.

I said it. Yep. Let me defend my position.

You re all saying that the unicorn episode was "handled baaaaadly" or how it was "rushed in", but honestly, I think it's a great thing that they did. Kids need to be exposed to gender issues at an early age, and how do you take gender issues and make it accessible for children to understand? Seriously, if you think the unicorn was a bad way to express those ideas, then you try to explain to a kid how a man feels like they are a woman and wants to go through abuse just to become a woman. I bet you would have the hardest time explaining that to the kid. Using a unicorn makes the idea accessible. Bringing in LGBT issues in general actually made the PPG reboot obtain some publicity.

Allow me to analyze why using a unicorn to teach transgender issues to children was a good choice. Let's take what Donny said: "I may not have a horn but I do have a heart, and in that heart I know I’m a beautiful unicorn!" Children are able to understand that Donny is a horse (no spoilers, please) that wishes to become a unicorn, and that he truly wishes to become a unicorn. The horn may have been fake, but the horn was there to make him feel better about himself. This is similar to how f2m will bind their chests to make them look more like men. At the end of the episode, Donny was revealed to have always been a unicorn all along, similar to how transgendered people were always their identified gender.

Overall, I think the episode did a wonderful job teaching kids about transgendered people.

Now let's not go into the whole Buttercup being a tomboy thing, which is a gender issue itself.

As for the whole show, I actually love the reboot so far. Keep up with the good episodes. :D

I've only seen probably four episodes of the show, but it's definitely not as bad as people keep saying it is. Is it as great as the original? No, of course not. But it's a lot better than Teen Titans Go. The characters weren't turned into selfish, unlikable, obnoxious jerks like the characters in Teen Titans Go, and while I do think it was unfair for the network to change the voices (and get rid of Miss Bellum), admittedly you do get used to it after a bit. My only real complaint as I said before is that the show focuses more on Slice of Life comedy and the Girls doing girl-related activities than fighting crime and saving the day. Even though the original show occasionally dipped into that genre (Hence the classic ep "The Powerpuff Girls' Best Rainy Day Adventure"), it was more about action and Craig was always careful to make sure it was not labled as a "girls show". So yeah, I wish they wouldn't add the annoying meme bits emphasis jokes like most of CN's other shows. But so far that's my only complaint.

While it's still too early for me to say whether this show is great or terrible, I will say it's not bad or insulting to the original. In case anyone's wondering, Craig's only complaint about the new show is how off the animation looks sometimes. https://twitter.com/CrackMcCraigen/status/704121647532371968

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Metal Snake said:

You guys should just start calling that upcoming Ben 10 reboot worse than this show to get a head start.

I mean, yeah, it was dumb on my part to say the show was straight-up awful this soon, but that doesn't really mean we can't say it's not awful from what's been seen so far.

Unless this isn't what you meant by that.

I feel sorry for Craig McCracken. Not only was his Disney show unfairly cancelled, but one of his previous shows was rebooted without him and the general consensus is that it doesn't hold a candle to the original. I agree that it is a bit early to judge and we shall find out what course this reboot decides to take.

I want to just vent about the art direction. The art style is not consistent whatsoever and nothing meshes cohesively. The animation is also awful.

I'm not gonna go and blame the artists because they're likely very talented, I'm gonna blame the executives or some of the higher ups at CN.

This reboot is a soulless cheap cash-in targeted at the lowest common denominator.

I feel bad for the people working on this. There is no passion whatsoever.

Watched the entire thing so far, besides the few meme moments, animation errors (some badly animated looking punches) and the poorly executed unicorn episode, it was mostly decent. I actually thought the ending credits with the girls doing various things was cute too. And I'm starting to get use to the new voices a little bit more and more, even of the original voices are the best. It sucks the show won't have Miss Bellum but at least they acknowledged her and maybe she'll return some day? I don't really like some of the Clarence animated characters, but that's just me. Also yo, I want a full Professor episode. (That first scene with Mojo talking to his mother on the phone actually made me laugh a little.)

I'm not one to nit pick on certain little things in a cartoon, but those mainstream and meme jokes are terrible. It absolutely does not work for this show, the PPG's. It kind of works for something like WBB but not PPG. 

With that being said, I think this reboot is ok-good thus far. The episodes do seem kind of slow sometimes, but I do like the new villains included, the girls similar personalities, plots, and how overall the show feels like it's happening 1 or 2 years after the original show with the incorporation of a new school, new phone, new characters etc.

I'll still be watching this show for now but hopefully it can continue to grow.

I'm beginning to like the reboot less and less as each new episode gets released, mostly due to the jokes. There's nothing inheritly wrong with having memes for jokes, it's the execution. So at this point in time, it's a mixed bag for me.

On 4/18/2016 at 11:27 PM, Halibut said:

Oh yeah, let's not forget that THEY BETRAYED THE ORIGINAL CREATORS, WRITERS AND VOICE ACTORS BY NOT EVEN CONSULTING THEM THAT THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

The people involved better learn a lesson from this, and I truly hope that this gets cancelled.

(never mind that bottom thing)

I wouldn't blame the artists. They have no control over the content of the show. It's likely an executive/producer decision. I'm going to assume this is a rushed committee-run cash grab based off the success of the original show.

I guess CN is planning on taking out AT and RS and want something to replace them badly.

High quality animation 10/10

Edited by Teamwork
  • Like 1

Just now, Teamwork said:

I wouldn't blame the artists. They have no control over the content of the show. It's likely an executive/producer decision. I'm going to assume this is a rushed committee-run cash grab based off the success of the original show.

I guess CN is planning on taking out AT and RS and want something to replace them badly.

High quality animation 10/10

Okay, looks like the show has one joke that makes me laugh. Unintentionally of course.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2016 at 3:33 PM, Fred Rechid said:

You know what? I'm going to say it. I don't care who disagrees with me, but I'm about to go there.

Teen Titans Go is better than this show.

That's right. The show that people tout as the worst show currently airing on Cartoon Network is better than this reboot. Teen Titans Go wasn't even bad at the start of the show. The only crime it made was having hit or miss episodes. Plus, it didn't really have a lot of hip and trendy references like this reboot did (y'know, besides that one episode where Starfire talks like a teenager does). At least that show kept the original VAs while in this show, they gave the characters new VAs without even telling the old ones. At least TTG didn't do anything like in the GIF and video above. I also agree with what Hal said above. It feels like this show is trying so hard to pander to the Steven Universe fans with progressive story-lines. While Steven Universe makes pretty great attempts at doing that, this reboot does it completely wrong and they all feel so try hard. Just so embarrassing.

To summarize, this reboot may have sugar and spice, but they took away everything nice. Thus, this shitty reboot was born. I can't even pretend to like this show. It's so awful.

Jesus, I was too harsh on this show calling it worse than Teen Titans Go. I mean, it barely started and I just called it worse than Teen Titans Go. Guess I better add another thing to the "Fred Rechid's List of Fuckups" list. I mean, most of my hate came from the unicorn episode alone. Why the fuck did I just compare this reboot which is still in its first season to a reboot with like 4 seasons? Dear lord, I have a problem. Can you guys ever forgive me for this post?

But I still stand by the fact that this reboot is mediocre. I don't think it's that bad, but please, keep trendy lingo and memes away from my Powerpuff Girls, kthanxbye.

Also, it doesn't help the fact that one of the writers acts like an asshole to the people who don't like the show on Twitter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Can you post some of the tweets? Is it Haley Mancini that's responsible?

Haley Mancini wasn't a writer on Arachno-Romance, so there's one positive for the April 28th episode.

I can't really find some of the tweets she posted, they might be deleted or something. Though I still know that she posted some mean tweets and couldn't take criticism.

Could be better. I can understand why some things were changed since so much time has passed since the original was first shown on television. Nothing will beat the original PPG in my eyes but I think its too early to judge the show completely when it has barely started to show what its truly capable of. Who knows, maybe the series will start to get better come another season, only then we'll find out if it matches the original in style and execution. I have doubts whether that will happen or not but we'll see.

Okay even though I feel like this show can improve, (we're not even done with the first season) good lord, the amount of animation and spelling errors makes this series one of the laziest cartoons I've ever seen.

On 4/24/2016 at 1:12 PM, Fred Rechid said:

Jesus, I was too harsh on this show calling it worse than Teen Titans Go. I mean, it barely started and I just called it worse than Teen Titans Go. Guess I better add another thing to the "Fred Rechid's List of Fuckups" list. I mean, most of my hate came from the unicorn episode alone. Why the fuck did I just compare this reboot which is still in its first season to a reboot with like 4 seasons? Dear lord, I have a problem. Can you guys ever forgive me for this post?

But I still stand by the fact that this reboot is mediocre. I don't think it's that bad, but please, keep trendy lingo and memes away from my Powerpuff Girls, kthanxbye.

Also, it doesn't help the fact that one of the writers acts like an asshole to the people who don't like the show on Twitter.

While it may not be worse than TTG overall, the animation seems worse. TTG's animation is nothing special, but at least it's not riddled with errors.