• Advertisement

The Powerpuff Girls Reboot 2016

Clappy

2 hours ago, The Guy With the Computer said:

This reboot has several issues. The animation errors are very obvious and can easily be fixed, but aren't. The girls' new personalities lack the likability of the original characters (and the unlikable traits are increased ten-fold.) The comedy seems awfully 2010's-trendy and isn't very funny overall. The action is mostly hidden by Hit Flashes, which hide the impact. The action itself rarely occurs within the reboot, and is instead replaced with the girls just hanging out and doing nothing interesting. There's barely any focus on the villains throughout the episodes so far, when the original had plenty of focus on its villains even in its early episodes (Fuzzy Logic for Fuzzy Lumpkins, Geshundfight! for the Amoeba Boys, Octi-Evil for Him, etc.) Ms. Bellum was removed, which not only removed an awesome character, but makes the mayor less interesting.

The biggest issue, however, is the fact that the reboot lacks a clear identity. It tries to have the charm of the original and fails (because it lacks the comedy and action that made the original show so awesome,) but it also tries to differentiate itself from the original (which it also fails at doing, because, again, they took away the comedy and action that made the original show so enjoyable.)

It's kinda weird that they took Miss Bellum out because they didn't think she would be appropriate for the show, yet they show Blossom and Bubbles twerking.

I've actually been watching the original series on Netflix the past couple days, and looking at all the post about Blossom's personality, from what I've seen in the old episodes from the original, she's defined by her intelligence and leadership. Unless I missed an episode, she never really showed any signs of being OCD, though in the ep where Him gives the Girls nightmares, she was worried about failing school, but that's about it.

Also I really agree that the villains don't really get any focus other than just being obstacles for the Girls. Even one-shot villains were given focus (like The Smiths or Dick Hardly). There was even an episode that didn't even have the Girls in it (the ep where Mojo and Him fight over the RRB.)

This show can't really be called an Action Show like the original since you rarely see the Girls fighting crime than just hanging out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hayden said:

Your new favorite show and your old favorite show are teaming up.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=77d8fd1b81666a1dba9c96f0f&id=e3eadeb2c4

Powerpuff Girls Meet Teen Titans Go. The blockbuster event of the year.

Okay.

The show started like a month ago and now they're already planning a crossover?

• Like 2

I'm even more surprised that George of the Jungle, a Canadian cartoon that has been around 9 years ago with only one season, is revived as of this year. Oh, and PPG and TTG crossover.....did they seriously plan this out at some point when the reboot was about to premiere?

Edited by Steel Sponge

Honestly, i think it's better off to wait til s1 is done, and i haven't watched the show yet since it's not airing in Canada yet. So i'll wait it'll airs over here, and have my thoughts on it, but right now, it's too early to judge myself on the show.

also, PPG/TTG crossover already? can't you just wait like after how ratings did well or not, CN?

• Like 1

EDIT: Just realized all this is airing in Australia. I know because the June highlights shows the address.....and because they apparently haven't finished The Ridonculous Race. But still, this means we're gonna have that crossover.

Edited by Steel Sponge

I was gonna point out that if Wakfu really was going to CN, that'd give me a reason to watch TV again, until I noticed the Laughternoons bit.

Should probably watch it at some point.

On 4/17/2016 at 2:10 PM, Halibut said:

I kept hearing about the controversy about the episode with the pony completely fucked up the concept of transgender people.

I assumed the controversy was just people annoyingly overthinking, but I went and watched the episode, and... yeah, it was baaaaaaaaaaaad. What's amazing is that basically EVERYONE is pissed off at it, and the fact that the PPG crew was stupid enough to shoehorn a politically progressive episode only a few episodes into the series is really sad. There's a difference between Steven Universe getting into the LGBT zone after they've already developed the characters and storyline to the point where they have the right to do it, and then there's this show which just tries WAY too hard by doing something as dumb as this.

It doesn't help that the show was already lame as hell outside of the controversy.

I find it pathetic how they seem to care more about being progressive than making a good/faithful show to the reboot first and foremost. LGBT stuff can come later.

3 minutes ago, Steel Sponge said:

Because that's the joke?

That drawing just looks poor and very off model. I'm not a huge fan of PPG but I know when something is off model.

In general I hate the art style for the show. The thin, whispy outlines, the incidental characters having completely different designs, etc.

The original series had thick, bold UPA outlines that evoked a sense of boldness and sharpness and that is completely ruined now.