• Advertisement

The Powerpuff Girls Reboot 2016

Clappy

13 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

That drawing just looks poor and very off model. I'm not a huge fan of PPG but I know when something is off model.

In general I hate the art style for the show. The thin, whispy outlines, the incidental characters having completely different designs, etc.

The original series had thick, bold UPA outlines that evoked a sense of boldness and sharpness and that is completely ruined now.

It would be off-model if Buttercup looked like she had a cyclops eye. Naturally, cartoons are know to give characters cartoony, exaggerated expressions, and from my perspective, that look on Buttercup's face looked exaggerated than anything else. Though, I can't blame anyone thinking it looks poorly drawn, judging the show's current quality.

Edited by Steel Sponge

I wish people would stop harassing Craig on Twitter.

Yes, Disney canceled Wander after just 2 seasons.

Yes, Cartoon Network is making dough off his ideas with a watered down turd.

But I doubt he has the level of ire for these networks that everyone else does. I imagine in his line of profession anyone that picks up your ideas and spends millions of dollars making them possible would be people that Craig really admires and is thankful for.

Which makes the fan entitlement really baffling.

• Like 2

Still, I've only seen one episode and I'm still very insightful about the reboot's execution. I know, I still need to see the rest of the series to form my own opinion on the show. I am off for the summer, so I'll be able to do that soon. Anyways, seeing from what Craig had to say, I can assume that PPG 2016 is something that Cartoon Network really wanted. In fact, I haven't seen as much demand for a reboot of this series, and I've seen bigger demand for revivals of series like Danny Phantom and Kim Possible, both of which had proper endings. (I can see why, though) From my point of view, PPG 2016 looks to be a bad case of executive meddling. On-topic of Cartoon Network, I can also say they're easily to blame for the quality of the reboot. Certainly, the people who developed the reboot maybe also wanted a revival to happen, but it feels more like the developers/creators wanted involvement with it. Sure the animators have made some obvious mistakes, but I can assume that CN might have put up a tight schedule on the people who work on the show and perhaps the animators are at least trying to do their best. Also, I'm pretty sure that the writers are at least having some enjoyment in writing episodes for the show, so I can't really show any vendetta towards the people involved with the reboot. I can never really tell if it's true, but the TTG and PPG crossover even feels like something that's mandatory for the network. Overall, these are just my assumptions. While PPG 2016 is already picked up for another season, I can only say that I hope it shows improvement by then of the season's premiere.

Also, Hayden has a bit of a point about Craig. I can also perceive that he shows no hard feelings about one of his works being produced for a reboot.

Edited by Steel Sponge

9 minutes ago, Fred Rechid said:

Oh yeah, I just realized.

Tara Strong voiced Bubbles in the original and also voices Raven in Teen Titans Go. I bet this is going to be pretty awkward for her.

HOLY SHIT, YOU ARE RIGHT

I've noticed that a lot of the stuff about the show that people don't like are stuff the network decided like changing the voices, marketing the unicorn episode a transgender metaphor, toning down the fighting, and I still think the crossover was their idea. They're already marketing both shows as "Your two favorite shows".

Could the Powerpuff Girls reboot have been better without the network interfering so much?

1 hour ago, NegiSpongie said:

I've noticed that a lot of the stuff about the show that people don't like are stuff the network decided like changing the voices, marketing the unicorn episode a transgender metaphor, toning down the fighting, and I still think the crossover was their idea. They're already marketing both shows as "Your two favorite shows".

Could the Powerpuff Girls reboot have been better without the network interfering so much?

Honestly, no, these writers are godawful at storytelling even without anything the network has mandated. Once Upon a Townsville was pure horseshit.

I guess I don't know what to make of this reboot anymore. I still think it's a whole lot better than Teen Titans Go, but still not happy what became of the Girls' personalities.

Edited by NegiSpongie

I saw the crossover. I still can't stand watching Teen Titans Go, but there were some parts of the episode that was actually funny. I thought the Girls themselves were really well written and it was great how they kept bashing the Titans. I didn't like how the Titans kept calling the Girls "babies", given how they act more like five-year-olds than the Girls. But while the episode wasn't great, it was okay.

Season 2 is March 3rd. Begins with The Last Donnycorn. Here are a bunch of titles/plots I found that date back to July. I found them by searching the March 3rd title.

The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E147) - Green Wing
Synopsis: When volunteering at a retirement home, Buttercup meets an old woman who claims she used to be a superhero.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E148) - 15 Minutes of Fame
Synopsis: When Bubbles' video goes viral, she goes to great lengths to maintain her status as a big-time director.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E149) - Splitsville
Synopsis: The girls learn to appreciate each others's style after having to each fight solo.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E150) - Clawdad
Synopsis: While visiting the lake, Buttercup vows to capture a legendary uncatchable crawdad.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E151) - You're a Good Man, Mojo Jojo
Synopsis: The holidays are Mojo's favorite time…for ruining everything! But this year, he may just learn the reason for the season.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E152) - A Star Is Blossom
Synopsis: When Bubbles gets the lead in the school play, Blossom's jealousy consumes her.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E153) - Buttercup vs. Math
Synopsis: When Buttercup tests into Honors Math, she tries to avoid being labeled a nerd.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E154) - Mini Golf Madness
Synopsis: Buttercup takes her game winning mini golf ball, in spite of ominous warnings of dire consequences.
The Powerpuff Girls (2016) S02E?? (E155) - The Last Donnycorn
Synopsis: When Donny the Unicorn is hunted by a seemingly unstoppable foe, the Powerpuff Girls have to find a way to save him before it's too late!

Oh look, one whole episode of these 9 focuses on their superhero life.

After leaving this show alone for a little while, there's something that I feel needs to be acknowledged here: there is possibly something creepy going on from one of the members of the PPG writing staff:

The character's name is Jared Shapiro. People who are still watching the show have noticed that the guy is based off of one of the writers: Jake Goldman. The character serves no real purpose than to play out as the love interest of Blossom, and....I'm just thinking about whether or not this is a deliberate joke towards the PPG fandom, or if Jake Goldman apparently wanted to share his self-insert x Blossom fanfiction fantasies onto the actual show. The fact that he looks so identical to Goldman, is voiced by none other than him, and that all his screentime is only devoted to Blossom's attraction towards him (before even getting involved in some sort of love triangle plot with Bubbles) are all a dead giveaway that he's a self-insert. (For crying out loud, there's even a scene where Blossom fantasizes his crush as a muscular hunk!)

Also, Jared Shaprio shares the same first name as Jared Fogle, the Subway guy. Nothing else to add there. I don't know whether or not Goldman is still part of the staff, or that his character is some sort of joke, but I wish this Jared character doesn't keep sticking around much longer, cuz' this is seriously rubbing me all the wrong ways.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 3