• Advertisement

SBC's Top 30 Best Episodes Ever (25th Anniversary Edition)

It's been 3 years since the last best list, and to celebrate the sponge's 25th birthday, we're finally bringing it back! Like the worst list, we're doing 30 episodes instead of 50. This should make it easier to create a best list. 

This list ONLY allows episodes from the main series, not episodes from Kamp Koral or The Patrick Star Show. Any episode from the main series that has either aired, or leaked through other means, is allowed on the list.

The only requirement for participating is to have an SBC account. To participate, simply PM me your 15 favorite SpongeBob episodes. You can either PM me on here, or you can DM me on discord. My discord account is WinterArcanine, but make sure you're on the SBC discord server if you DM me there.

If you want to change your list after you've sent it, please tell me right away so that I can make sure to change it on time.

If you've participated in one of these before, keep in mind that, if you have no changes to make to your list, or just don't feel like bothering to change anything, you are free to simply reuse your list from the 2021 or 2019 list.

The deadline is June 6th at 12:00 AM EST. After this, I will not be accepting any new lists.

• Like 3
  • Happy 1

There are now 2 weeks left to submit a best list! We are currently at 19 lists; only 11 away from 2021's! A this rate, we might even be able to pass 2021's amount of lists!

If you want to submit a list, feel free to DM me your list either on here or on discord. The deadline is June 6th at 12:00 AM EST (so essentially until the end of June 5th).

• Thanks 1

Submissions are now closed! We got 35 lists, which is more than I expected to get. Thanks to all of the following who submitted a list!!!

Spoiler

4Evergreen

BenPaz

BobCarotte

CakeCup

CDCB

Clappy

Coffee_Lover

Dman

Heyo_Heyo

Honest Slug

Jaic

JCM

Jjs

Katniss

Kieran

Klu

Meep

Meko

More

mythix

NegiSpongie

OWM

PatBack

Pickle Man

Prez

Purple

RDSP

sbl

Snower

SOF

Steel Sponge

Trophy

WhoBob

WinterArcanine

Wumbo

I will post the first episodes tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 5

It begins now!!!

SBC's Top 30 Best Episodes Ever (25th Anniversary Edition):

30. "We're sorry, but your kind isn't allowed here."

bestlist30.jpg.670f26f5ee6e558560d5cccf8841aab7.jpg

Squidville - 99 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #1, @CakeCup) (+3)

Season: 2

Writers: Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Squidward moves to Tentacle Acres.

We begin the best list with a classic season 2 episode, Squidville. Squidville is such a funny location; The fact that everyone there acts exactly like Squidward, and that there’s multiple people doing what Squidward wants to do every day is so funny. It being a gated community where the guards specifically tell SpongeBob and Patrick that their kind isn’t allowed there is also really funny. This episode is also the most interesting episode for Squidward’s characterization; Eventually, he gets bored of doing the same thing every day, and not having anything crazy happen because of SpongeBob and Patrick. This is something we don’t see often, and it adds to Squidward’s character. Squidward eventually starts acting crazy just like SpongeBob and Patrick, and it’s funny to see him do this and annoy all the other squids, while also acting exactly like SpongeBob and Patrick did earlier in the episode. There’s plenty of other good jokes in the episode as well, like Patrick asking a fire hydrant if it's Squidward, or the commercial for Tentacle Acres. This is a good way to begin the list.

29. "An experienced employee of the month always keeps a brick of lead in his hat."

bestlist29.jpg.a931ab283198a1775c191f102673f8a1.jpg

Employee of the Month - 99 points

7 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #8, @OWM) (+29)

Season: 1

Writers: Paul Tibbitt and Doug Lawrence

Plot: SpongeBob and Squidward compete for the employee of the month award.

This episode was a cool underdog pick that I’m glad managed to make it onto the list. Previously, this episode usually only made HMs, but this year, it managed to make it onto the list despite it only being 30 episodes, which is cool. This is a fun episode that shows Squidward getting crazily into something that SpongeBob is, which is always a fun type of episode. SpongeBob’s fears of losing his employee of the month award to Squidward despite there being little reason to think that would happen is funny, as is Squidward saying how stupid the award is. And then the latter half of the episode, where SpongeBob and Squidward compete to become employee of the month, is the highlight of the episode. It’s always fun to see Squidward eventually do the same stuff as SpongeBob that he’d been saying was stupid the whole episode, and all the crazy traps that they set for each other is very funny. It’s also very funny to see them work so hard at the Krusty Krab that they accidentally blow it up. Overall, this is easily in my top 5 of season 1, so it’s cool to see it make the top 30 for once.

• Like 8

28. "At least I'm safe inside my mind"

bestlist28.jpg.eed239506a61565c935b78a27e7af464.jpg

Big Pink Loser - 103 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #1, @PatBack) (+12)

Writers: Jay Lender, William Reiss, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Patrick acts like SpongeBob to get his own award.

This is one of Patrick’s funniest and most iconic episodes, so it’s good to see it on the list. This episode is just full of funny Patrick moments. Patrick struggling to do anything right at the Krusty Krab is so funny. Between “THIS IS PATRICK!”, and him struggling to open a jar, it’s so funny to watch, and then Patrick mimicking SpongeBob in the latter half of the episode is also really funny. It’s funny to see Patrick even imitate things like hitting his head with a hammer, burning his hand, and somehow even managing to read SpongeBob’s mind (and SpongeBob also read Patrick’s mind…..🤔). He even mimics SpongeBob's house! This is also pretty interesting from a characterization perspective too; Patrick is really sad that he hasn't done anything worth getting an award for, and he eventually feels that the only way for him to get one is to pretend to be somebody else, which is kinda sad when you think about it. And for that reason, it's nice to see him get an award in the end, even if it was for literally doing nothing. This is one of Patrick’s star (:funny:) episodes, and this episode is just full of hilarious Patrick moments.

27. "Ravioli, ravioli, give me the formuoli"

bestlist27.jpg.8da2090b47431414c48b9e4f779a0c6d.jpg

Imitation Krabs - 103 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #2, @El Jacko @So Sejima) (+5)

Writers: Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Plankton disguises himself as a robot version of Mr. Krabs.

Imitation Krabs is another funny season 2 episode to make it onto the list today. Nickelodeon didn’t submit a list, but if they did, this probably would’ve been on it considering they did THREE separate episodes with a similar concept in season 7. It’s so silly that Plankton’s dumb plan to just make a robot of Mr Krabs and ask SpongeBob what the formula is somehow manages to almost work. It’s clearly a robot, but somehow SpongeBob falls for it anyway. The amount of things that need to be done to say the secret formula is also funny. The highlight of the episode however, is when SpongeBob has to figure out who is the real Mr. Krabs. It’s so funny to see Plankton somehow manage to convince SpongeBob that he is the real Mr. Krabs, and that the real Mr. Krabs somehow convinces SpongeBob less. Then the fact that Plankton loses because he just has a penny self-destruct slot for no reason is so funny. I also like how Mr. Krab’s punishment is to just be eaten by Hans lol.

• Like 6

26. "Robert bathtoys?!?!"

bestlist26.jpg.4a81cffe425f079bc19c5862b8188c34.jpg

Naughty Nautical Neighbors - 104 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #4, @ThePickleMan) (+26)

Writers: Sherm Cohen, Aaron Springer, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Squidward destroys SpongeBob and Patrick's friendship, but they soon begin fighting over him.

Honestly, this episode making it onto the list kinda baffled me. Most of this list are great and popular episodes, but this is an episode that I always looked at as a random weaker season 1 episode. But, this is actually one of the more popular ones. This is one of the first episodes of the series to show the dynamic between SpongeBob, Squidward, and Patrick, while putting a humorous spin on it. SpongeBob and Patrick hating each other and fighting over who gets to be Squidward’s best friend is amusing. It’s even funnier from Squidward’s perspective; he tricked SpongeBob and Patrick into hating each other because they were annoying him, but they’re just annoying him even more. I also love the “gang’s all here” joke and Patrick instantly falling asleep when Squidward starts playing his clarinet, as well as suddenly appearing in his bathtub. Overall, while I can’t say I fully agree with this episode being on the list, I get why it’s here.

Also, interesting fun fact: This is the first time Naughty Nautical Neighbors has made the top 50, let alone the top 30, and therefore also the only time it's made it onto a list outside of HMs.

25. EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION OH NO!!!

bestlist25.jpg.540040febd5c18b8f4bc5a29dd16e960.jpg

No Free Rides - 111 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #2, @Wumbo@RD Rockruff@Klu) (+19)

Writers: Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Mrs. Puff passes SpongeBob just so she doesn't have to deal with him.

Honestly, I used to consider this episode overrated and thought it was just pretty good. As time went on however, I realized how good this episode truly is. This episode basically has two extremely funny halves to it. The first half has Mrs. Puff basically giving SpongeBob a license for free by only requiring SpongeBob to write a couple words about what he’s learned in boating school, and yet SpongeBob is STILL not able to complete it and goes insane over it, all while Mrs. Puff desperately wants SpongeBob to just do it so she can pass SpongeBob and give him a license. It’s such a hilarious sequence. And then the second half involves Mrs Puff trying to steal SpongeBob’s car, while SpongeBob tries to stop her. This half is just hilarious joke after hilarious joke after hilarious joke, with many hilarious moments like SpongeBob being the car’s radio and SpongeBob getting hit by traps, including EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION OH NO!!! While this episode wasn’t on my list, It’s still nice to see it here.

• Like 7

24. "The king is bad, the king's to blame, he hangs his kingly head in shame"

bestlist24.jpg.d285a5145d26a607150092d6efae513b.jpg

Dunces and Dragons - 118 points

6 of 35 lists, (Highest ranking #1, @ThePickleMan) (+14)

Season: 4

Writers: Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, and Tim Hill

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick end up in the Middle Ages, and have to go on a quest to defeat Planktonamor

It’s nice to see this episode bounce back from its big fall last time. While it wasn’t on my list, it was close to it, being on my top 25. This is one of the funniest specials of the series; SpongeBob and Patrick going back in time to the medieval era is a concept that’s bound to create plenty of great jokes, as well as a fun adventure. It’s fun to see versions of all the SpongeBob characters in the medieval era; especially Squidly, he’s so funny. A jester version of Squidward is a funny idea, and all his songs are funny. Plankton being an evil Wizard who’s trying to take over the world is really cool as well. The final battle is cool, Medieval Sandy is cool, and there’s a lot of funny moments as well. I love how there’s a guillotine in this episode too; it’s not something you’d expect to see in SpongeBob, but it’s here. Overall, this is a very cool and funny episode in a great environment, and I’m glad to see it on the list.

23. "This kitchen's not the same without you"

bestlist23.jpg.d6d887da45d3a3b67f6fcf80cb5e3365.jpg

Welcome to the Chum Bucket - 126 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest ranking #1, @So Sejima) (-2)

Writers: Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: SpongeBob is forced to work at the Chum Bucket.

I love this episode and I’m always glad to see it make the list. This is the first episode so far to be on my list; this episode was #7 on my list. The song in this episode is just amazing; It sounds fantastic, and the lyrics are genuinely sad. The whole beginning is pretty sad in general; Mr. Krabs lets his ego get to him a bit too much, and it causes SpongeBob to have to work at the Chum Bucket, which makes both of them very sad. Then in the second half, the episode becomes absolutely hilarious. SpongeBob won’t make patties unless Plankton makes him feel better, but when he tries being nice to him, he suddenly turns into a spoiled brat and just won’t make a Krabby Patty because he doesn’t feel like it. It’s really funny, and then Plankton putting SpongeBob’s brain into a robot only for the robot to then act the same way and refuse to make a Krabby Patty is absolutely hilarious. SpongeBob returning to the Krusty Krab simply because SpongeBob was such a pain in the ass for him to deal with is very funny (also of course Plankton just cheated to get him anyway, lol). This is a fantastic episode that has both good emotion and an amazing song, and great comedy, and it’s one of my favorite episodes of the show.

• Like 7

22. "The gentle laborer shall no longer suffer from the noxious greed of Mr. Krabs!"

bestlist22.jpg.df0e0fdd61ca620344e9f54ee8b54bd8.jpg

Squid on Strike - 128 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest placing #1, @Jjs Goodman@The Red Lizard) (+2)

Writers: Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, Mark O’Hare

Plot: Squidward and SpongeBob go on strike.

This is another really funny season 2 episode. The dynamic between Squidward and SpongeBob is great in this episode and really helps with the episode; Squidward genuinely wants to strike and get better treatment, while Spongebob doesn’t care and just goes along with it because Squidward wants him too, despite not knowing what a strike is. Seeing Squidward trash on the Krusty Krab and try to do a serious strike, and actually do a good job at it, while Spongebob is just sad that he got fired and just keeps helping and praising the Krusty Krab the whole time is hilarious. Spongebob taking Squidward’s speech literally, and actually destroying the Krusty Krab and dismantling it board by board, is also hilarious, made even funnier by the fact that Squidward probably got a good deal for himself during his chat with Mr Krabs. And of course, I have to mention Squidward being a communist in this episode. Him talking about things like how workers need to be treated way better and that big business needs to be dismantled is very funny, especially considering this is in a show like Spongebob. Overall, I’m glad we have comrade Squidward on our side.

21. "I didn't know this was a play"

bestlist33.jpg.05af5fefe72b35639f1bed48fce93468.jpg

Truth or Square - 137 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @WinterArcanine@magic the veemon) (+8)

Season: 6

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Steven Banks, Paul Tibbitt

Plot: During a Krusty Krab anniversary celebration, SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs accidentally get locked in the freezer

This episode is very divisive, but in my opinion, this episode is a true masterpiece. This episode was one of, if not my absolute favorite episodes as a kid, and it will forever be one of my favorites. I’m so happy that it made it onto the list, and that it rose to be even higher than before! Of course, this episode is very widely hated, so this is gonna take a while for me to write about compared to other episodes. So anyway:

This episode has a lot of-ok fine here’s the real #21

21. "You like Krabby Patties, don't you Squidward?"

bestlist21.jpg.127f64800b29cf23ed836d1b5bfe256b.jpg

Just One Bite - 141 points

8 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @ThePickleMan) (-9)

Season: 3

Writers: Jay Lender, Sam Henderson, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to try a Krabby Patty.

It’s crazy that it took this long for season 3 to appear on the list. This episode is easily one of my favorites of the entire series, it’s just so funny. In fact, it was #4 on my list. It says a lot that this episode is exceptionally funny even for pre-movie standards; this episode is just constantly bringing out some of the best jokes of the entire series. There’s been multiple times where I’ll randomly remember a funny Spongebob joke, try to remember what episode it’s even from, realize it’s from this episode, and think “Oh of course that joke is also from this episode”. As someone who doesn’t eat all that many different kinds of foods, I can definitely relate to Squidward not wanting to try a Krabby Patty while SpongeBob constantly bugs him about it, and also him taking the tiniest little bite out of a Krabby Patty (shoutouts to @Wumbo). Now admittedly, I rarely actually like a new food no matter how much someone insists I like it, but I CAN relate to turning out to like something that I hated for no reason, which is exactly what happens to Squidward here. The fact that Squidward goes on a whole rant about how terrible Krabby Patties are, only for it to turn out that he actually loved it and just didn’t want to tell SpongeBob, is absolutely hilarious. Squidward constantly trying to eat a Krabby Patty without SpongeBob noticing is also hilarious, and it’s funny how his desire to get one reaches the point where he burns himself on the grill and eats garbage trying to eat one. He even has a dream about loving, marrying, fucking, and dying with a Krabby Patty which is absolutely hilarious and one of the funniest moments of the series to me. I could go on and on about the many great jokes in this episode. While I’m disappointed that this episode fell a bit, I’m very glad to see it appear on the list.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • God Himself 2

20. "You doodle! Me SpongeBob!"

bestlist20.jpg.edc4c9d45baeed3b7e1a04605ea8056c.jpg

Frankendoodle - 145 points

8 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @NegiSpongie@CDCB) (-5)

Writers: Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob creates the evil DoodleBob.

This was on my list at #9. The concept of a pencil from above the ocean becoming magical underwater is very neat. It's interesting to see what the pencil can make underwater, particularly Doodlebob. Doodlebob is the thing that makes me love this episode so much. He’s such a silly and funny character. This magical doodle of Spongebob just being an insane psychopath that speaks funny gibberish is hilarious and makes for a great Spongebob villain. He’s honestly one of my favorite characters of the series despite being in like three episodes. He’s just such a funny character, his gibberish is funny and he has a bunch of other funny moments too like beating up Squidward. There’s a whole bunch of other good jokes in this episode too, such as FINLAND and “take it easy, it’s just a drawing”. The artist at sea is also funny. He gives an important moral that all children need; if you go to the middle of the ocean to draw, you need to make sure you bring a spare pencil. This is a classic Spongebob episode, and I’m very glad to see this episode make the list again.

19. "Everything is chrome in the future!"

bestlist19.jpg.609795a9e6fafa480f8fe8dabeb1061c.jpg

SB-129 - 147 points

9 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @WhoBibbles) (-3)

Writers: Aaron Springer, Erik Wiese, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Squidward accidentally freezes himself, sending him to the far future

This is my favorite episode of Season 1, so I’m glad it made the list. It was #11 on my list. This is such a cool episode with fun time travel shenanigans. Everything being chrome in the future is iconic, and Squidward’s reaction to all the changes in the future is very funny. The past sequence is also funny, and it’s funny to see Spongebob and Patrick as ancient gorilla-like beings. The fact that Squidward accidentally invents jellyfishing by showing it to them is also very funny. But the absolute best part of the episode is the third section. The trippiness and eerieness of the blank white void, with absolutely nothing there, is very cool and interesting, and the sudden ALONEs that appear when Squidward lays down to relax by himself adds to the vibe. Squidward eventually realizing how scary the idea of being completely alone with just him and his clarinet for the rest of his life and becoming desperate to just return home is very cool as well. Overall, this is a very cool and unique episode with plenty of cool locations.

• Like 5
  • Happy 1

18. "Squidward, the robots are running the Navy!"

bestlist18.jpg.8d996c7cc0174e2f0323f7db63caf329.jpg

Krab Borg - 150 points

9 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @BenPaz) (+10)

Writers: Paul Tibbitt, Kent Osborne, and Mark O’Hare

Plot: SpongeBob and Squidward think Mr. Krabs is a robot.

For some reason, I used to consider this episode overrated. And I was wrong about that, this episode is fantastic. This episode is so hilarious. It’s already really funny seeing SpongeBob somehow think Mr Krabs is a robot, while Squidward is trying to show SpongeBob how ridiculous it is to think Mr Krabs is a robot. But then when Squidward also becomes convinced? That’s the cherry on top. Seeing SpongeBob and Squidward both think Mr Krabs is a robot is so funny, and their interrogation of “robot” Krabs is hilarious. Squidward destroying Mr Krab’s items to get him to reveal he’s a robot is really funny, and the cash register being what causes him to finally show emotion is funny. I also love how it turns out the ending to the movie that got Spongebob so scared of robots was just that the robots were their imagination. It’s also funny how everytime Spongebob thinks of a robot trait, Mr Krabs suddenly appears to have it, and seeing what was actually happening makes it even funnier. Ultimately, Robot Krabs never hugged you, and that is rather sad, but you can hug yourself during your break. NOW GET BACK TO WORK!!!

17. "Anyone know how many days it’s been, I lost track"

bestlist17.jpg.c0d414669b3e73f0a9694ff1dbba2e75.jpg

Fear of a Krabby Patty - 156 points

8 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @Steel Sponge) (+14)

Writers: C.H. Greenblatt and Paul Tibbitt

Plot: SpongeBob becomes afraid of Krabby Patties.

It’s a common misconception among people who watched the show as a kid and aren’t in the fanbase that every episode (except maybe Krusty Towers) after the first movie is a bad episode. And this episode instantly proves that wrong. It’s the very first post-movie episode, and it's great. Plankton’s plan being to make SpongeBob go so insane from sleep deprivation that he becomes terrified of Krabby Patties is very interesting, and it’s funny to see SpongeBob see everyone as a Krabby Patty. There’s so many funny jokes in this episode, like the old man just randomly floating around and being confused, and Spongebob somehow getting a piano to fall on Plankton multiple times. The dream sequence at the end is also very cool, and it’s funny that the Krabby Patty there is actually nice. This is one of many great season 4 episodes.

• Like 6

"Fear Of A Krabby Patty" actually made it onto my list at #12, probably a little lower than I've ranked it in the past, mostly because I was trying to give some promotion to some later season episodes that I thought deserved a chance to be on this list. All the other episodes listed so far, I probably would've put onto my list had I been given more choices to work with.

16. "We shall never deny a guest, not even the most ridiculous request"

bestlist16.jpg.9786f1188b1493d3d3dae68697751192.jpg

Krusty Towers - 164 points

9 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @Clappy) (+3)

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Tom King and Steven Banks

Plot: Mr. Krabs turns the Krusty Krab into a hotel.

This episode was constantly competing with Fear of a Krabby Patty for which one would be the higher Season 4 episode throughout the entire existence of this list. Seriously, it switched around constantly, and they were usually right next to each other too. Krusty Towers ended up just barely winning in the end. This episode is so hilarious, and is one of the most popular episodes after the first three seasons. Both halves of the episode are hilarious in different ways. The first half is hilarious because of what Squidward has to do as an employee at the hotel. The employee elevator just being a flight of stairs is absolutely hilarious. Squidward having to do the dumbest shit for Patrick like carrying his suitcases full of rocks up all the stairs and giving him a bubble bath, because “We shall never deny a guest, not even the most ridiculous request!” is hilarious. And then Squidward flips the whole thing around by quitting and returning as a guest, and forcing Mr Krabs and SpongeBob to do stupid shit for him instead, such as repainting the room like ten times before bringing it back to how it was before. The whole fake out sequence with Squidward’s grandma is absolutely hilarious. This episode was on my list at #15, because of how hilarious it is. I’m very glad to see it so high on the list.

15. "There's never been any ice, ice is just a myth!"

bestlist15.jpg.43b7eb927bd1f4f096b237b69e8a049c.jpg

Nasty Patty - 170 points

10 of 35 lists (Highest placement #4, @So Sejima @Yummylesecond) (-5)

Writers: Paul Tibbitt, Kaz, and Mark O’Hare

Plot: SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs think they murdered the health inspector

The fact that a SpongeBob episode involves SpongeBob and Mr Krabs thinking they murdered a health inspector is so funny. You would never expect that from a Nickelodeon show. But this is Spongebob, they do things like that. The fact that they make a terrible patty for the health inspector, thinking he was an imposter, only to realize that wasn’t the fake inspector, is very funny. The thing that makes this absolutely hilarious though, is that the police come in. Right when they finish burying the body, the police suddenly appear in the middle of nowhere. Spongebob and Mr Krabs having to hide that they killed someone and hid the body is hilarious, and the body returning from the ground and therefore being in the trunk of the police car and they have to hide the body again somehow, makes it even funnier. Then Spongebob and Mr Krabs going crazy when the police try to enter the freezer where the body is, saying things like ice being a myth, and then finally admitting to it but then also blaming the other for it, is hilarious, and my favorite part of the episode. Overall, this episode deserves to make the list for having such a hilarious concept and so many funny jokes.

• Like 6

14. "How am I supposed to eat this pizza without my drink?!"

bestlist14.jpg.3e0f54071d50f499c02578d4014ff5b2.jpg

Pizza Delivery - 174 points

10 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @CakeCup@Katniss) (+4)

Writers: Sherm Cohen, Aaron Springer, and Peter Burns

Plot: SpongeBob and Squidward deliver a pizza.

This episode is an absolute classic, and probably the episode that truly got people to first love Spongebob. This episode is always one of the earliest episodes of the series to make the list. It’s such a fun and funny episode filled with tons of humor that show SpongeBob and Squidward’s characterization very well. SpongeBob refuses to let go of the Pizza, as it must be delivered to the customer, while Squidward doesn’t care and just wants to eat it and return back home. There are many hilarious and classic jokes throughout the episode, like the tornado stopping for Spongebob to gasp at Squidward not caring about the customer, the krusty krab pizza song, and the boulder that SpongeBob can somehow ride. And of course, the ending is fantastic. The customer finally gets their order after all this time, but is just pissed about how there’s no drink for it (and not the fact that it took about 24 hours, for some reason), even though he never ordered a drink in the first place. It’s so sad to see Spongebob get so upset from the customer, and it’s very satisfying to see Squidward of all people defend him and get pissed at the customer for being a jerk. Overall, this is a great episode that’s both fun and funny, and has fantastic characterization for both SpongeBob and Squidward.

13. "Hey Patrick, how the 🐬 are ya?"

bestlist13.jpg.38562bdfbe3552b340839f518a12d53a.jpg

Sailor Mouth - 184 points

9 of 35 lists (Highest placement #2, @BenPaz) (0)

Writers: Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick learn a bad word on the dumpster behind the Krusty Krab.

The idea of SpongeBob and Patrick learning a swear word and saying it a lot without realizing it’s a bad word is hilarious, and fits their characterization very well. I love the choice to censor the swear words by using Dolphin chirps, as well as other underwater and sailor themed sounds; it’s very unique, and fits the show well. SpongeBob and Patrick walking into the Krusty Krab and constantly using the word, even over the speaker, is really funny. It’s also really funny how, right after learning that the word is in fact a swear word, SpongeBob almost immediately uses it the right way after getting pissed at a (in his defense, very unfair) game. It’s also very funny how, after Mr Krabs scolds Spongebob and Patrick for swearing, he starts using all the swear words himself after hitting his foot on a rock. And SpongeBob and Patrick going to his mom to tell HER about Mr Krabs swearing is also really funny. This episode has a really funny concept, and does a very good job at making it very funny.

• Like 5

12. "But the door is locked, and the only way out is through the... perfume department"

bestlist12.jpg.d55595630e1b6c4087cb2395cb36f66f.jpg

Shanghaied - 204 points

10 of 35 lists (Highest placement #2, @PatBack) (-6)

Writers: Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Squidward, Patrick, and SpongeBob board the Flying Dutchman's ship.

This is yet another hilarious episode. The Flying Dutchman is a rare but very funny and cool character, and his ghost ship is very cool. It’s so funny how technically SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward are all involved in this whole episode, but Squidward is only there for like half of it because he’s just spending most of the episode in whatever the fuck the demonic thing he’s in is. The episode has so many funny moments like Spongebob and Patrick trying to howl, Spongebob saying “you’re good” when the bottom half of the ship gets destroyed, Spongebob and Patrick trying to jump off the ship but landing back on it every single time, “I wish we knew that earlier” counting as one of the three wishes, and so many other funny jokes. The best one of all is the perfume department; it’s so random, but also so funny. The different endings gimmick is very neat too. I’m very glad to see this episode once again make the list.

11. "I have more imagination in one tentacle than you two have in your whole bodies!"

bestlist11.jpg.8d31d112e78e72f5c3a1d0e48708b253.jpg

Idiot Box - 209 points

12 of 35 lists (Highest placement #3, @OWM) (+6)

Writers: Paul Tibbitt, Kent Osborne, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick use their imagination to play with an empty box.

I’m relieved to see that the existence of this episode’s terrible sequel, Squidiot Box, didn’t hurt its placement on the list at all. This episode really shows the characterization of SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward well; SpongeBob and Patrick are more playful and imaginative, and are able to have tons of fun with just a box. Meanwhile, Squidward doesn’t have as much imagination (despite what the quote above suggests) and is much grumpier, and could never find fun in just a simple box. This episode is very mysterious, as much of it is left a mystery. What’s causing those sounds? Are Spongebob and Patrick’s imagination somehow manifesting it? Does the box itself somehow make those noises? Are Spongebob and Patrick using sound recordings to fuck with Squidward like he thought? Is Squidward just going insane and those sounds aren’t real? The episode never explains this, and I think that’s part of the fun of this episode; You don’t truly understand what’s happening, but you know that Spongebob and Patrick are having a lot of fun using just their imagination, in a way Squidward can’t grasp. The twist at the end that Squidward wasn’t actually making any sounds from imagination, and the box was just actually in a garbage truck, is very funny. I also love how dark Spongebob and Patrick’s mountain climbing imagination becomes. Overall, this episode is a very fun and interesting episode, that Nickelodeon appears to not quite understand judging by how Squidiot Box is.

• Like 5

Today, I'll be posting the HMs! Because there are so many fantastic episodes of the show, and point-wise this could easily function as a top 50, I decided to make the HMs be all of 31-50! If an episode you really like hasn't made the list yet, and likely won't be in the top 10, this is a final chance for them. To make sure the post doesn't lag, these might be in two separate posts. But anyway:

41-50:

Spoiler

50. "Rev up those fryers, 'cause I am sure hungry for one--"

bestlist50jpgbc9745c.jpg

Arrgh! - 53 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #11, @RD Rockruff) (NEW)

49. "I'll have you know I stubbed my toe last week while watering my spice garden, and I only cried for twenty minutes."

bestlist49jpgb310384.jpg

No Weenies Allowed - 54 points

3 of 35 lists (Highest placement #4, @El Jacko) (-15)

48. "No one's taken a break at the Krusty Krab since the Chum Famine of '59"

bestlist48jpg9e5c948.jpg

Hooky - 54 points

3 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @RD Rockruff) (NEW)

47. "Please wait until the car has come to a complete stop. And stop crying!"

bestlist47jpg5da82ce.jpg

Roller Cowards - 55 points

3 of 35 lists (Highest placement #4, @Honest Slug) (-17)

46. "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT! I WANT ALL OF YOU TO LOOK AT IT!"

bestlist46jpgb7656ff.jpg 

Something Smells - 57 points

3 of 35 lists (Highest placement #5, @Steel Sponge@Katniss) (-26)

45. "This is the most flavortastic sensation my still-developing taste buds have ever experienced!"

bestlist45jpgd791af0.jpg

Friend or Foe - 62 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #6, @Aquatic Konquest) (-10)

44. "SpongeBob, you and I both know that you're just choosing me as a distraction so you don't have to write your essay."

bestlist44jpg33fdc7d.jpg

Procrastination - 63 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #8, @Katniss) (+16)

43. "...I want an adult-sized Krabby Patty"

bestlist43jpg19ced0e.jpg

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V - 63 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #6, @JCM) (-16)

42. "I didn't know SpongeBob had such a colorful vocabulary"

bestlist42jpg672ec95.jpg

Krusty Love - 63 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #4, @sbl) (+13)

41. "N is for no survivors, WHEN YOU-"

bestlist41jpg0ed649b.jpg

F.U.N - 66 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #10, @RD Rockruff) (+7)

31-40 are on the next post.

• Like 4

31-40:

Spoiler

40. "Snowball fights are for immature children and I will not stoop to your level"

bestlist40jpg7d5e7a3.jpg

Snowball Effect - 68 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #2, @President Squidward) (+11)

39. "This isn't your average everyday darkness. This is... advanced darkness."

bestlist39jpg1de5f3b.jpg

Rock Bottom - 73 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #5, @snower) (-2)

38. "Don't be a jerk, it's Christmas"

bestlist38jpg5c1954d.jpg

It's a SpongeBob Christmas - 78 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @Aquatic Konquest) (+3)

37. "You, sir, are the greatest artist to ever live!"

bestlist37jpg2d59ddd.jpg

Artist Unknown - 81 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #6, @Jjs Goodman) (+10)

36. "With these spiky cleats, anything is possible!"

bestlist36jpg427cadf.jpg

SpongeBob Meets the Strangler - 84 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @Honest Slug) (-14)

35. "Why did he have to go like this and leave me tied to this idiot?!"

bestlist35jpg7e1ed15.jpg

Clams - 87 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #4, @Jjs Goodman) (+4)

34. "What’s a gorilla doing underwater in the first place?"

bestlist34jpg4dcb93d.jpg

I Had an Accident - 88 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #2, @Steel Sponge) (+12)

33. "I didn't know this was a play"

bestlist33.jpg.82c223963afec4055ef4e9174ea59d88.jpg

Truth or Square (for real this time) - 88 points

4 of 35 lists (Highest placement #1, @WinterArcanine@magic the veemon) (-4)

32. "GOOD GRIEF HE’S NAKED"

bestlist32jpgfafa397.jpg

The Algae's Always Greener - 91 points

6 of 35 lists (Highest placement #7, @ThePickleMan) (+4)

31. "Which one of you fellers is the real Dirty Dan?!"

bestlist31.jpg.856039adc958e7b65163532d261ead87.jpg

Survival of the Idiots - 98 points

5 of 35 lists (Highest placement #2, @ThePickleMan) (-8)

• Like 5