• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever! (2021 Edition)

OWM

After a one-year pause, we're back once again!

Spongebob Squarepants GIF

There's a weird feeling we get from seeing SpongeBob and his friends at their lowest, ugliest, and most poorly written. Over the next few weeks, we'll look at 50 episodes that embody that feeling once again. Which ones will rise? Which ones will fall? Which ones will stay just the same? You choose.

PM me your 25 least favorite SpongeBob and/or Kamp Koral episodes (yes, we're counting both—they'll be treated as part of one series) on here or on Discord. (no jokes or japes) I won't ask for commentary this time, so feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on the list's episodes in this thread. 

If you need to change your list after you've sent it, please tell me right away to keep the tallying process smooth and easy.

The deadline is Tuesday, May 11, by the day's end EST. Now, get moving!

• Happy 5

So far I've got 8 lists including my own, which is a lot less hectic than the big waves of ones I got last year. Don't let that discourage you from submitting though, since I've got all the time in the world. Reminder, as of now the deadline is May 11.

I've decided to extend the deadline by another week, which will give me some time to tally all these lists. That now makes the new deadline May 18. Feel free to keep submitting and revising, anyone who still needs to.

• Thanks 2

Today is the last day for submissions! Heads up for any stragglers are left. If everything goes according to plan, we'll officially begin the list tomorrow.

The Cent of Money is so shit but what saves the ep from being on my list was the climax and how it was resolved. It was good to see SpongeBob lash out to Mr. Krabs and then Mr. Krabs being all injured and losing all,of his money. Very justified.

The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom is so boring as fuck. Not on my list but man, nothing about it is memorable or funny. 

• God Himself 2

Could not submit a list this year due to reasons, but I'll provide some commentary if I can! It's fun to see how these turn out.

I don't remember The Cent of Money well, but I do remember that it was just annoying until the end where Krabs gives all the money he earned to the hospital in order to cover his healthcare bill. And yeah, animal abuse and Krabs being an asshole make this episode just like...sad.

The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom isn't even memorable, just like several episodes in the Legends miniseries. No substance. It seems like a fever dream. Though, the concept of Patrick befriending a monster, as you said, could work if it is executed well.

I think "The Cent Of Money" barely made my list; although, I just want to state that there were at least of couple of infamous episodes that I didn't list, but only because I couldn't remember the exact episode titles of them when I made my list! I'll tell you what they are once we get to them. "The Monster of Bikini Bottom" seems more boring than actually bad, but majority rules, so...in any case, I can't wait to see what the list brings us next!

48. "We must not re-enact the history that divides us, rather we must embrace that which draws us together."

48.png.935a8bf9d9c2d39556ee4986de37ac22.

The Battle of Bikini Bottom – 44 points

2 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #2 @WinterArcanine) (+11)

Season: 5

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Eric Shaw

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick fight over a pressing issue: dirty or clean?

Here's an episode that managed to really shine this year thanks to its small yet passionate hatedom. It's never been one of my least favorites, but it's easy to see why it receives hate to begin with—it is ugly. Even if you find some of SpongeBob and Patrick's "attacks" creative and goofy, like I do, they really aren't fun to look at and get old after a while. And since so much of the episode relies on this, the episode loses its steam fast. Interesting to see how it's made just a big rise with only two people this year. Maybe we can expect more twists and turns?

47. "I have seen this only one other time. It's the ultimate tan. He's..."

47.png.df50fa86439b26043af254362d5b309e.

Sun Bleached – 44 points

4 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #8 @Steel Sponge) (NEW)

Season: 6

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Richard Pursel

Plot: SpongeBob gets the ultimate tan.

This episode has returned to the list after being absent for a year. This is certainly one of Season 6's lamest. SpongeBob being sun bleached is sort of funny, with his raspy voice and weird moistureless skin, but it gets old fast, and it makes you wish you weren't watching this anymore. In fact, there's not much enjoyment out of seeing your favorite characters turn glossy brown and ill-looking. The new character Craig Mammalton, who's pushing the trend, doesn't help this either—he's an asshole, and doesn't serve much purpose other than to magically fix SpongeBob's whole problem with his social clout. While I like my share of "beach" episodes, this is definitely one to skip.

• Like 6
  • Happy 1

Battle making it on is proof Old Man Patrick is god

Battle is such an awful episode, its so gross and disgusting to watch. And its like that almost the whole time. Out of all the ideas they could of had for a battle theme, they went with THIS?

I kinda wish I put Sun Bleached farther down my list tbh. It's boring, gross, unfunny, and its just....really strange. Why is this episode so pro tanning, even to the point of making it look like burning yourself to being sun bleached is a good thing??? It's so bizzare.

While neither ep made my list since there are worse eps I have found, both stink.

The Battle of Bikini Bottom has some creative battles but it is a gross out festival which I do not need. It is just not funny.

Sun Bleached is so fucking lame aside from the commercial. It is just boring af, disturbing and tasteless. Craig is definitely an asshat and not even a fun one. I'm glad to never see him again.

Personally, I can't bring myself to dislike either of those episode segments, because I personally find there to be too many other episode segments of "Spongebob Squarepants" that weren't as good as those ones. At least they're ranked low on the list, so, we're bound to run into some REALLY icky episode segments further down the line! Enough said, true believers!

The Battle of Bikini Bottom had its fun moments and interesting art so I don't hate it too much. I think it's good that it's around the top of the list and not at the bottom since it wasn't horrible.

Sun Bleached can get boring but I've always found the idea that he tanned so much that he got lighter is funny. Craig fucking sucks. And yeah, definitely not a good beach-related episode.

46. "I'm sorry, restraining order! But my friends need me!"

9UXuDkV.png

Restraining SpongeBob – 45 points

5 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #7 @CyanideFishbone) (+16)

Season: 8

Writers: Paul Tibbitt, Sean Charmatz, Vincent Waller

Plot: Squidward files a restraining order against SpongeBob.

This made my list, and I'm quite glad to see that it's risen. Restraining SpongeBob manages to be obnoxious basically the whole way through. The beginning combination of SpongeBob's constant pestering of Squidward, eventually leading up to the little accident, isn't good for anyone watching at all. Odd to see it shown completely for laughs compared to Fools in April, where it was treated as cruel and horrific. There are some briefly entertaining scenes of SpongeBob struggling to adapt to the restraining order, but once Patrick shows up, it's all over. He manages to take up even more screen time than SpongeBob did with things that are somehow even more annoying. The ending brawl is one of the dumbest in the whole show (a button!?) until it just abruptly... ends. The combined effect is a very sad and bitter episode that stinks of Season 8 lousiness.

45. "Did you notice anything different about Squidward?"

C5Ewg5D.png

Breath of Fresh Squidward – 46 points

3 out of 22 lists (Highest Ranking #5 @magic the veemon) (NEW)

Season: 5

Writers: Nate Cash, Tuck Tucker, Richard Pursel

Plot: After an accident, Squidward grows a new personality.

I always found this to be a very middle-of-the-road Season 5 episode with some very questionable things in it. It's not like SpongeBob at all to feel like someone is one-upping him—he was always one to treasure his friends' successes and support them. Even if he is childish, something feels very wrong about seeing him melt down in front of his closest friends. New Squidward also feels too similar to SpongeBob, probably so that he could specifically overshadow him. If he took a more jovial attitude to what he did before he was shocked, I think it'd make for a more interesting episode. Other than that, I can totally see why this episode's lowest points can push it over to worst list territory. Not really something worth rewatching.

• Like 8

I can't even remember Restraining SpongeBob properly, but it probably was not good.

Breath of Fresh Squidward can be funny. I don't think I'd put it on this list, or even on a best list. It's just in limbo for me. But SpongeBob melting down always felt kinda weird and not like him and it is indeed questionable.

Lol I like both eps

Restraining SpongeBob is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is so stupid that it actually makes me laugh. Patrick here is so bad so funny to me. Idk why, it just works for me but I get why it i is hated but I can't hate it.

Breath of Fresh Squidward is very flawed but i found it to be entertaining and interesting and I don't think it deserves to be on the list but I get it.