• Advertisement

Unpopular opinions you have

E.V.I.L.

12 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Yes. Romance creates drama. Drama creates story. Story creates episodes. We may have amazingly weird and strong friendships in real life with the opposite sex, but just because something like that works in real life doesn't mean it'd be able to carry (roughly) three dozen A-plots over the course of a show (could be more, could be less, three dozen would be about three seasons and would still leave another three dozen episodes free for other plots). It's inherently more interesting (not to mention easier to write) if a couple breaks up and tries to remain friends and then ends up back together (or not) than if they're just friends the entire time because we can go through ups and downs and be invested in the relationship and get both perspectives and root for them to either succeed or fail.

In my opinion (and you touched on this a bit a few posts ago) the problem mostly stems from poor writing more than anything else. In order to create those stories, the writers have to kind of find loopholes and jump through hoops and have their characters not communicate properly so they get into arguments - which is fine to a point, but too much of it does get overwhelming (I think Jack/Ashi needed to happen so there was weight to the finale, but I also think it felt like Genndy only realized towards the end of production that he needed to do that and kind of yadda-yadda'd the build up). However, doing that is still better than the alternative of having a nice stable friendship be the center of everything - and if it's not stable... then what's the point? I won't speak for everyone, but I'm not going to get invested in an on-again/off-again friendship with awkward platonic tension; I'm not gonna tune in each week to see if they finally get that coffee or if they decide they'd be better off as acquaintances.

I can agree on how romance can really be effective and it's easiler to write romance and it can be really interesting but I think sometimes the romance gets in way of the overall storylines the characters are having, except for shows that is about romance between characters and I feel like they just have to pair almost every character to get a drama. And there are times that the main characters' personalities turn into just romance. Idk, drama between characters can still exist without romance. That could also be a non-awkward friendship argument or something else. imo it'd be more refreshing to see more platonic relationship. That platonic relationship doesn't even need to be a focus, just be there. I can say same about romance being a side story. I suppose that most of shows that I tune in rushes romance and do a poor job with it or the whole focus becomes a cliched romance. That's probably why I'm so damn tired of romance in tv shows and movies.

4 hours ago, terminoob said:

Yes. Romance creates drama. Drama creates story. Story creates episodes. We may have amazingly weird and strong friendships in real life with the opposite sex, but just because something like that works in real life doesn't mean it'd be able to carry (roughly) three dozen A-plots over the course of a show (could be more, could be less, three dozen would be about three seasons and would still leave another three dozen episodes free for other plots). It's inherently more interesting (not to mention easier to write) if a couple breaks up and tries to remain friends and then ends up back together (or not) than if they're just friends the entire time because we can go through ups and downs and be invested in the relationship and get both perspectives and root for them to either succeed or fail.

In my opinion (and you touched on this a bit a few posts ago) the problem mostly stems from poor writing more than anything else. In order to create those stories, the writers have to kind of find loopholes and jump through hoops and have their characters not communicate properly so they get into arguments - which is fine to a point, but too much of it does get overwhelming (I think Jack/Ashi needed to happen so there was weight to the finale, but I also think it felt like Genndy only realized towards the end of production that he needed to do that and kind of yadda-yadda'd the build up). However, doing that is still better than the alternative of having a nice stable friendship be the center of everything - and if it's not stable... then what's the point? I won't speak for everyone, but I'm not going to get invested in an on-again/off-again friendship with awkward platonic tension; I'm not gonna tune in each week to see if they finally get that coffee or if they decide they'd be better off as acquaintances.

Well but what stops a show from having both platonic male/female best friends and relationships? I feel like that can be worked in every once in a while.

24 minutes ago, E.V.I.L said:

Well but what stops a show from having both platonic male/female best friends and relationships? I feel like that can be worked in every once in a while.

What shows are you watching? :P A bunch of the shows I watch focus on friendships as well as relationships.

Anyway I don't have a problem with romance in shows as long as it's written well and the characters are developed outside the romance.

Edited by Mermaid Man

10 minutes ago, Mermaid Man said:

What shows are you watching? :P A bunch of the shows I watch focus on friendships as well as relationships. I don't have a problem with romance in shows as long as it's written well. 

Fair enough.. I think I need to start watching the right shows. :P

Just now, E.V.I.L said:

Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, that show has plenty of great male-female (and male-male and female-female) friendships!

3 minutes ago, Mermaid Man said:

Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine, that show has plenty of great male-female (and male-male and female-female) friendships!

You're not the only one to recommend that to me :Laugh: I'm about to watch thee first epsiode either today or tomorrow

6 hours ago, E.V.I.L said:

Happy Endings and New Girl are two of the best sitcoms from the past 5ish years that highlight relationships and friendships. But, I mean, what kind of shows are you watching? I feel like basically every show has romance and friendships. Unless you mean you want friendships between single characters, in which case.... yeah, I dunno, you're watching shows about adults and teenagers (most likely) and adults and teenagers like dating.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:26 AM, Skodwarde said:

I don't mind romance if it's comedic or there's actual chemistry between characters. That being said, I don't really do shipping.

I don't do much ships either, there's only a few ships I actually legit ship (Wendy x Casper, Phineas x Isabella).

Pop > rock, at least in this current era. There's still some bands making music that I love, but I feel like pop is doing more interesting things at the moment (Lorde, Halsey, Harry Styles, to name a few)

• Like 3