• Advertisement

SBC's Top Fifty BEST EPISODES EVER... this year (2021)

Wumbo

Big Pink Loser did not end up on my list but I think it is one of the best Patrick episodes to date. I really enjoy the dynamic between Patrick and SpongeBob here. Jokes good. Story is sokid. What else do you want? If only new Pat eps were just as good as this one.

I love Clams and it totally ended up on my list. Pure comedy driven, Krabs goes insane, Jaws music plays, story is exciting. I love it so much.

Spoiler

38. "I must fulfill the prophecy while you untie Patrick and the royal doofus!"

Dunces and Dragons (2006), Cinema e Medioevo

Dunces and Dragons - 84 points

9 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #3 - @SpongeOddFan

2019 Ranking: #18 (-20)

Season 4, written by Zeus Cervas, Erik Wiese, and Tim Hill

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick go back to medieval times.

This is certainly a change from your typical episode, isn't it? We've seen time travel episodes before this one, to be sure. But this is one that feels like it has an actual cohesive story to follow, and a mission with high stakes. It's interesting to see all the Bikini Bottom residents we know and love in their medieval forms. Squidward as the Royal Fool particularly shines (that "great-great-grandson" line is a classic). And it's always cool to see SpongeBob and Patrick in a new environment to see how they react to it. This has been a staple of the list for years now. With some fun songs and some great action sequences, it's definitely one to remember.

Spoiler

37. "Balloon *pppfff* has *pppfff* enough *pppff* air! *pppfff* Thanks! *pppfff*"

Hey Spongebob, the bus is here: spongebob

Rock Bottom - 86 points

7 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #6 - @The Helpful Mexican

2019 Ranking: #23 (-14)

Season 1, written by Paul Tibbitt, Ennio Torresan, Jr. and David Fain

Plot: SpongeBob gets trapped in Rock Bottom on his way home from Glove World.

You ever have one of those days where everything goes wrong for you? SpongeBob's had some of those days. This is certainly one of them. Very few episodes are as cruel to SpongeBob as this one. It's agonizing to experience. Everything going wrong, always missing the bus, not being able to understand the locals, and most of all, being in a dark, unfamiliar place. But of course, that's what makes the episode so enjoyable. Not only because of the comedy, but also because by this point SpongeBob is a character we definitely want to root for, and his frustration and determinism are things we feel watching the episode. You want SpongeBob to succeed and get back to Bikini Bottom, that's why you tune in for the whole thing. To take a generally optimistic character like SpongeBob and place him in this situation can only make for a captivating episode. Will he make it out of Rock Bottom? And how? Rock Bottom itself is brilliantly designed as well, this seedy underbelly of Bikini Bottom that mixes the unfamiliarity of a new town with the real-life implications of deep underwater. A truly memorable episode that deserves an annual spot on this list, for sure.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1

Spoiler

36. "...Mr. Plankton?"

The Algae's Always Greener/SpongeGuard on Duty (2002)

The Algae's Always Greener - 87 points

9 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #5 - @Funyarinpa

2019 Ranking: #21 (-15)

Season 3, written by Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Plankton switches lives with Mr. Krabs.

All right, we need to get this out of the way first: this plot absolutely has been done to death. People switching bodies, people experiencing the "mile in my shoes" storyline - it's been done. It's not an original plot by any means. But tropes exist for a reason: they're effective at conveying certain things about your characters. So, what do we learn about Plankton here? Well, he's unhappy with his life. You can probably surmise that already from his multiple failed attempts to retrieve the Krabby Patty formula, but I think this is the first episode that flat-out states it. He has to eat holographic meatloaf instead of real food. He's not nearly as successful as his adversary. So what might life be like if he switched places for one day? Well, SpongeBob and Squidward are still here to show just how much Mr. Krabs must go through on a daily basis, in the most hilarious fashion possible. I love how neurotic SpongeBob is in this episode; Plankton definitely gets to see the most annoying side of him, being his boss. Squidward doesn't help much either, griping and complaining and turning in "OH MY GOODNESS" patties. I also like the shift of Krabs being naked and the general surreal nature of this episode. I think what makes Plankton episodes work on the whole is that Plankton is such a fun, over-the-top character. You can mess with him in so many different ways because his reaction will always be priceless. He definitely gets kicked around in this episode, as he does most episodes, but that's what makes them so great. And if Plankton can learn to be happy with his holographic meatloaf, we can learn to be happy with ourselves as well.

Spoiler

35. "Barnacles to the customer!"

Friend or Foe (SpongeBob 1001 Animations) by SofiaBlythe2014 on DeviantArt

Friend or Foe - 88 points

6 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #6 - @Aquatic Konquest

2019 Ranking: #39 (+4)

Season 5, written by Casey Alexander, Zeus Cervas, Mike Mitchell, Steven Banks, and Tim Hill

Plot: We get to see Mr. Krabs' and Plankton's backstory.

Here it is, folks. The lone entry on my list from the dreaded "post-movie" era. Honestly, it's not that I dislike anything past Season 3 on the whole, or even that there are no episodes that could contend for spots on my list. But I'm naturally going to have affinity for the episodes that I grew up with, namely Seasons 1 through 3. So you really have to amaze me to break through on this list if you are not from those seasons. Sorry, that's just how I roll. But it also speaks to the excellence of this episode that it broke through. I can't think of a better way to tell a Krabs/Plankton backstory. It seems like all the pieces fall into place, and it's told so well and adds new layers to the characters that make you feel sympathy for them. I love that they started out as friends; it seems cliche, but their friendship is so adorable that you don't care. The story follows very logically, even as it's corrupted by the different minds telling the story (luckily, the talking computer sets things straight in the end). I like this backstory of Mr. Krabs the best; it makes sense towards his money-making ways that he would start out so poor and be bullied for it in school. The misfit storyline with him and Plankton leading to their eventual triumphant creation of the Krabby Patty is told beautifully. It just goes to show that the SpongeBob writers, as many as there are on this episode, can come together and make something truly marvelous and reminiscent of those classic episodes of Seasons 1-3. What a great story, and what a worthy episode to put on a Top 25 list.

• Like 8

Sorry it's been so long. I got banned. I find most of the episodes featured okay, but my 6th favorite episode is #41. Also, I used to love "F.U.N.", which was #48, and my second least favorite episode that I like is #39.

Edited by Jelly Lelly

Spoiler

34. "How tough am I? You got a new bottle of ketchup?"

Watch SpongeBob SquarePants season 3 episode 11 in streaming |  BetaSeries.com

No Weenies Allowed - 89 points

6 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #3 - @ForgottenOne

2019 Ranking: #40 (+6)

Season 3, written by Paul Tibbitt, Kent Osborne, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob tries to prove he is tough enough to get into The Salty Spitoon.

SpongeBob's toughness, or lack thereof, is a common theme seen in episodes. Sometimes it's played straighter, like in MuscleBob BuffPants. But sometimes it serves as a great vehicle for a gag-fest, like here. If Season 3 succeeds at anything, it's being plain funny, and finding new ways to be funny. Every moment of this episode is a riot as SpongeBob tries desperately to get out of Weenie Hut Jr.'s and into the Salty Spitoon. Weenie Hut Jr.'s itself is a great setpiece, with three characters we'll never see again detailing exactly the kind of life SpongeBob doesn't want to have. Beyond that, it's your standard Season 3 wackiness, which is always welcome in the show. The SpongeBob clone, Patrick beating himself up, the three-day potato salad. Definitely a fun and funny episode.

Spoiler

33. "Hi there! Is this the final straw? Do you want to move so far away that you can brag about it?"

Spongebob, Spongebob friends, Spongebob memes

Squidville - 93 points

7 of 30 lists. 2 #1 votes - @E.V.I.L. & @CakeCup

2019 Ranking: #28 (-5)

Season 2, written by Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Squidward moves away to Tentacle Acres.

Squidward is such a fascinating, multi-faceted character. On the surface he's just a grumpy old neighbour who doesn't like it when SpongeBob and Patrick have any fun. But is that really who he is? This is such a great episode because it finally fulfills Squidward's biggest dream: that he gets to move away from SpongeBob and Patrick. And the new town he moves to has everything he wants, from interpretive dance to clarinet recitals to CANNED BREAD. So, basically, he gets to live his dream life, series over, so long Squidward. Except... he's not fulfilled. And we get to see this in what I think is one of the greatest sequences of the show - his happy face slowly turning bored and languished as he goes through his daily routine. Too much paradise, indeed. This episode reinforces that Squidward kinda needs SpongeBob, to make his life more interesting and to keep him in balance. It's a pretty good summary of what makes the show work, which is conflict. And it's why I believe there's more to Squidward than meets the eye. Episodes like this are a great reminder that characters work best when they're three-dimensional and have motivations beyond basic character traits. Squidville is successful in showing us the full Squidward, gardening tools and all.

• Like 8

Dunces and Dragons is one of the few SpongeBob specials that lived up to its premise. It isn't one of my favorite episodes but it has plenty of good action, comedy and story. Characters are so much fun, especially Squidly. I totally can see why it's on this list.

Rock Bottom isn't one of my favorites but it highlights how experimental s1 was. The use of a new setting worked so well here. It was so creepy and mystical. Throughout the whole episode you wanna root for SpongeBob but at the same time, his comedic ways to get on the buses are so funny. The episode totally deserves to be on the list.

The Algea's Always Greener is an episode that uses role switching to its fullest. It's just so fun seeing Plankton be the boss of Krusty Krab for a change. He literally won and yet he has to deal with mundane situations at Krusty Krab such as SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs as Plankton. The comedy is high point and the story is engaging. What else to not love. It's not on my list but I truly adore this episode.

Friend or Foe is another special that lives up to its premise. I have never thought I'd be seeing an origin of Krabs and Plankton's rivalry and here we are. How they became enemies is pretty tragic and sad and it showed us why they should have never broken a friendship over popularity. The comedy is good here, especially Patchy segments which are just delightful on their own. I'm glad it made the list, even though It is not on mine.

No Weenies Allowed is such a funny episode that highlights why I think season 3 is the funniest season of the show. Every joke in this episode land and SpongeBob's attempts to enter the place was so entertaining to watch. Not on my list but I totally love it.

Squidville is an interesting premise that works out so perfectly. This answers the question on why Squidward cannot leave SpongeBob and Patrick. His life isn't as exciting without them around.  So I appreciated how the episode answered this. The story is captivating, I love seeing Squidward not being able to stand at other Squids that look just like him and comedy is so amazing here. Once again, not on my list but If I made a top 50, it'd be there for sure.

Spoiler

32. "But we did everything you said, I followed all the rules! I even ate 105 black licorice jellybeans through a straw!"

Imitation Krabs (SpongeBob 1001 Animations) by SofiaBlythe2014 on DeviantArt

Imitation Krabs - 94 points

6 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #2 - @Funyarinpa & @El Jacko

2019 Ranking: #29 (-3)

Season 2, written by Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Plankton disguises himself as a phony Mr. Krabs in order to get the secret formula.

This is one of those ideas that should come so naturally to this show, you're surprised it's not, like, one of the first episodes. Well, it's a good thing they waited until Season 2 to do it, because I think its full potential was realized here. This is such a funny idea, and they make it work with all the character interactions with fake Mr. Krabs. The trials and tribulations SpongeBob puts "Mr. Krabs" through are hilarious, as is the final showdown between him and the real Mr. Krabs. Squidward plays a minor but, in my view, very memorable role in this episode as well. We need to acknowledge the voice actors at some point for getting so much comedy mileage out of pedestrian lines like "you're not Mr. Krabs". Kills me. Every time. What tipped you off, Squidward? Such a brilliantly simple idea realized to its full potential, culminating in a great story with lots of laughs.

Spoiler

31. "K-R-A-B-B-Y P-A-T-T-Y says I!"

Spongebob cook Blank Template - Imgflip

Fear of a Krabby Patty - 98 points

6 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @Steel Sponge

2019 Ranking: #42 (+11)

Season 4, written by C.H. Greenblatt and Paul Tibbitt

Plot: SpongeBob becomes fearful of Krabby Patties after working for days on end at the Krusty Krab.

Well, here it is. The episode that started the "post-movie era", whatever that is. Fear of a Krabby Patty is a real important moment for the show, to see if it could keep going at consistently high quality even after a movie. If Fear of a Krabby Patty was any indication, it absolutely could. I like this episode because it follows such a convoluted Plankton plan, even for him, that it keeps you interested throughout and has a lot of twists and turns. It's also a pretty big watershed moment for SpongeBob as he becomes everything he hates: afraid of Krabby Patties. He's certainly had his problems with work before, but nothing quite to this degree. Enter Dr. Peter Lankton, psychiatrist. The episode is exciting and funny throughout, but the real payoff comes from this scene, where despite Plankton's best efforts, SpongeBob's mind is just too wacky for him to crack. Man, what a way to kick off Season 4. Maybe it fell a bit short of expectations, but with an episode like this leading the way, those are some lofty expectations to live up to to begin with.

• Like 9

On 7/6/2021 at 7:47 AM, Wumbo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

42. "Ah, notice the scavenger crab eating garbage, unaware he is being stalked by his natural predator, the puffer fish."

SpongeBob SquarePants Season 10 Episode 11 – Feral Friends / Don't Wake  Patrick | Watch cartoons online, Watch anime online, English dub anime

Feral Friends - 75 points

5 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @4EverGreen

2019 Ranking: #38 (-4)

Season 10, written by Mr. Lawrence

Plot: A strange moon turns all of Bikini Bottom into wild animals.

When your series gets to Season 10, no matter what it is or who it's for, you have to do things to shake it up. I admire the gumption of this episode to really play with our conceptions of the characters we know and love, by turning them all into more feral, animalistic versions of themselves. Look at that Squidward in the image. Just look at it. It's grotesque. But it's also kind of the point. You could call this episode many things, but things you couldn't call it are "boring" or "unambitious". Another boon to this episode is that after 10 seasons, it has the French narrator in his biggest role, which is another something that separates this episode from the pack. It's amazing how, regardless of perceived drops in quality, SpongeBob still has the ability to massively shake it up now and again, and in cases of episodes like these, it pays off.

Reveal hidden contents

41. "How could I possibly be angry when my taste buds are swimming in Christmas cheer?"

SpongeBob, Peanuts stop by Christmas Eve\

It's a SpongeBob Christmas! - 83 points

4 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @Aquatic Konquest

2019 Ranking: #49 (+8)

Season 8, written by Luke Brookshier, Mark Ceccarelli, Derek Iversen, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: Plankton turns everyone into jerks before Christmas so he can comparatively get on Santa's nice list.

After eight seasons, regardless of whether you've had a Christmas episode or not, it's about time for a new one. While I vastly prefer the first Christmas episode, this one is certainly not without its charms. The stop-motion animation is a bold choice that really pays off and makes the episode stand out, as well as calling to mind those classic Rankin-Bass Christmas specials of of yore. The plot is pretty simplistic, but it's a kid's show, and it's a Christmas episode, so it works well enough. SpongeBob not being affected by the Jerktonium is certainly in line with his character and does good to bring about Christmas cheer (plus, if he was affected then you wouldn't have a resolution to the episode). All in all, a worthy successor to the first Christmas episode that does enough new things to keep it around in people's minds.

Sorry I'm late! I got stuck in traffic when that whole: "I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life" thing reared it's ugly head, and I...anyways, I'm glad to see that some of my picks have already gotten on this list! "Sandy, Spongebob, and the Worm; Rock-a-bye Bivalve; No Free Rides;" and "Feral Friends". I do notice a theme with those episodes. Every single one of those episodes deals with character dynamics. The first three between Spongebob and one of the characters he frequently interacts with; and the last one with Sandy. It's probably no secret by now that Stephen Hillenburg was a Marine Biologist, so the episode "Feral Friends" really gave him a chance to show off his knowledge of marine animals in their natural environment and behavior, in a way that he wasn't able to before. Also, the way the episode gets resolved is a priceless ending as far as "Spongebob Squarepants" is concerned. I can't wait to see what other episodes have gotten on this list! Enough said, true believers!

• Thanks 1

Roller did not make my list this time but it is still one of my favorite episodes ever and I'm surprised to see it is higher than before. Every joke works so well, SpongeBob and Patrick are relatable here. And the climax of this episode is so excited. Definitely deserved the spot.

Truth or Square is the only episode on this list which did not deserve the spot imo. I can see why it is hated and I do not hate it but I don't see the praise for it. I think just like all of tv movies of this show, it fails to be a good story. It is a nonsensical story that nothing interesting happens in it. Some jokes fall flat, some flashback segments drag and doesn't interest me, characters are just not fun to watch. Does it have good jokes and flashbacks? Yes. But they are not enough to save it. Patchy segments are the worst tho. First half is nothing but celebrity cameos I do not give a shit for. Secod half is boring with a few fun stuff thrown in it and also shit like Pink's song. The ep is just middle of the road for me. I don't think i'll ever hate it or like it.

YES TRUTH OR SQUARE MADE THE LIST

I get why people hate this episode; if you don't like the stuff in it, its gonna be an hour of boredum; but I don't find it boring, because all the montages and flashbacks they show are really cool. Stuff like the alternative theme songs, the old cartoon version of spongebob, squidwards life before spongebob entered it and spongebob getting a house, and a bunch of funny ones too like, of course, the wedding. And a lot of funny scenes in general. Multiple really good songs as well. It's the best episode of the show IMO.

As for some other episodes, since I haven't posted on the thread in a while:

Surprised to see Feral Friends returned, but I'm glad post sequel got some representation here. Feral Friends is a really good episode, it's a really cool concept to have the characters turn into their more primitive/realistic selves and it is done very well.

Dunces and Dragons was on my list this year, it's a really fun adventure and uses its medieval location and atmosphere very well. It's also really funny as well. However I moved it down from #24 to #25 this year. I'm sure that's responsible for its -20 placement drop.

It's a Spongebob Christmas is in my top 10 and I'm glad it made it on the list again. It does the christmas atmosphere REALLY well and has really cool stop motion animation, and I love the song near the end. It's a really charming episode. I know the plot doesn't really make sense, but so does every story involving Santa.

Algae's Always Greener only fell because obaby was too busy simping for rwby girls to make a best list. Just felt everyone should know that. Personally I think the episode is really funny and I'm fine with either its 2019 spot or 2021 spot.

Friend or Foe almost made my list but didn't quite make it, just barely. I love how it added such a cool and interesting backstory to Mr Krabs and Plankton's rivalry/hatred for each other.

There are more deserving eps to be on the top 50 list than Imitation Krabs, so I'm glad it at least didn't increase. Still a funny episode though

Roller Cowards was on my list, it's really funny to see Spongebob and Patrick try everyone they can to avoid going on the ride, and all the other funny moments like the mitten. It's also really relatable since I'm at the point where I want to go on more big rides like this but I'm still scared to go on a lot of them.

Spoiler

28. "I never thought I'd say this, but SpongeBob, let's get that poop!"

Watch SpongeBob SquarePants season 3 episode 15 in streaming |  BetaSeries.com

Krab Borg - 99 points

7 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #4 - @Katniss

2019 Ranking: #25 (-3)

Season 3, written by Paul Tibbitt, Kent Osborne, and Mark O'Hare

Plot: SpongeBob and Squidward think Mr. Krabs is a robot.

Normally when we see SpongeBob and Squidward together in an episode, Squidward is antagonistic towards SpongeBob. Here, they form a team-up halfway through, and it is so refreshing and fun to see. It kind of makes you wonder why they don't team up more often until you realize it would destroy the fabric of the show. But here, as a little taste? It's delightful. I love seeing SpongeBob and Squidward on the same side, misguided as it may be. We've seen flashes of this before, but this is the first episode I can think of where they really work together as a duo. This is all, of course, in vain, as SpongeBob's fears are severely misplaced and Squidward is left to deal with the aftermath. But the character dynamic here allows for a fun and hilarious episode. I love all the convoluted ways that Mr. Krabs becomes more and more like a robot in SpongeBob's eyes. That "Electric Zoo" song is infectious, who wouldn't be doing The Robot to it? It becomes so crushingly coincidental that even Squidward can't deny it. This culminates in a great interrogation scene - I love when Squidward really gets into something like this, you get the sense he's watched a lot of cop shows. A wonderful episode that annually makes the list for good reason.

Spoiler

27. "Ahh, Makeout Reef. Good times, goood times."

SpongeBob Facts! a Twitter: "SPONGEBOB FACT: My personal favorite Barnacle  Boy episode is Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V, where he turned EVIL because Mermaid  Man wouldn't let him order an adult

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V - 101 points

7 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #2 - @almy

2019 Ranking: #27 (=)

Season 3, written by C.H. Greenblatt, Kaz, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Barnacle Boy joins the dark side, and Mermaid Man must form a team to stop him.

Ahh, the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes. A staple in any loyal SpongeBob fan's diet. A Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode always feels like an episode that's just a little bit more special, like a Sideshow Bob episode of The Simpsons. They don't always show up, but when they do, you know you're in for a wild ride. The very concept of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy is hilarious - a geriatric superhero duo that are made-for-TV superheroes but also still kind of... actual superheroes? It allows the writers to reach into their big comic book bag of tropes and twist them to fit the characters. This episode tends to stand out among the pack because of its dramatic tension. Sure, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy get on each other's nerves sometimes, but they always remain a duo. Until now. This episode has everything you could possibly want from a SpongeBob superhero romp - it gets the two main villains together to aid Barnacle Boy... er, MAN, on his new quest of evil, and it manages to dress up the main characters in superhero garb as well! Throw in an overly excited commissioner and you have yourself an action-packed, fun, hilarious plot that reigns king among SpongeBob's superhero fare. Krakatoa!

• Like 8

Roller Cowards is in my top 5 to be okay. Well, number 2. Number 1 is ACITK.

Truth or Square is my favorite to be 8/10.

Krab Borg was fine.

MM and BB V is my favorite Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode, but I find it 8.3/10.

Krab Borg made my list. It is such a hilarious episode that highlights SpongeBob and Squdiward's dynamic. They are so much fun when they work together and their antics throughout is so hilarious. It has some of the best Mr. Krabs bits as well as SpongeBob and Squidward bits. It deserves to be on the list.

MMBB V is not on my list but It's my favorite MMBB episode because it is the most hilarious and interesting one ever. If the show ended at s3, this would have been the best way to end MMBB episodes. The comedy is on spot, every character gets their moment, MM and BB dynamic gets fleshed out. What is not to love.

Spoiler

26. "You planted grass?"

spongebob caps on Twitter: "… "

Plankton's Army - 103 points

7 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @WhoBob

2019 Ranking: #48 (+22)

Season 3, written by Jay Lender, Sam Henderson, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: Plankton enlists the help of his relatives to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula.

I've said it already, but Plankton is such a fun character. His villainy combined with his diminutive stature and relative powerlessness makes for a lot of great, comedic conflicts in episodes. But even Plankton deserves a little help now and again. Enter Plankton's Army, the episode where we finally get to meet Plankton's relatives, and they're about a 30-watt bulb if you put all their brainpower together. You can see why Plankton's distanced himself from them thus far. Nevertheless, they combine to create one of Plankton's best plans yet. The Plankton clan is so much fun to watch here; the way they stand in such sharp contrast to Sheldon makes for some great moments of frustration for him. Not only that, but the scheme nearly works and it provides for a great climactic moment at the end. Exciting, fun, and at times, a real pain in the fanny.

Spoiler

25. "We're not talking about some dumb mail fraud scheme or hijacking here. WE STOLE A BALLOON!"

Spongebob and Patrick | Spongebob, Spongebob photos, Wall collage

Life of Crime - 107 points

7 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @El Jacko

2019 Ranking: #41 (+16)

Season 2, written by Jay Lender, William Reiss, and Doug Lawrence

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick are on the run after they stole a balloon.

SpongeBob and Patrick overreacting to things. Name a better combo. It's just like them to steal a balloon unwittingly on Free Balloon Day, and then feel the need to upend their entire lives after the fact. It's always fun to see SpongeBob and Patrick get on each other's nerves, especially over something as stupid as an already-eaten candy bar. I suppose it figures that a stupid conflict would be a stupid situation's undoing. The key takeaway here is that SpongeBob and Patrick are still very childish, and have a childlike view on many things, including morality. Why else would they unquestioningly listen to the advice of master "borrower" Eugene Krabs? Maybe some day they'll learn. But until then, at least we have fun episodes to enjoy like this one. Now get out.

• Like 8

Plankton's Army FUCK YEAH. It has risen up and i'm so happy for it. My favorite episode ever. Everything about it just works. Jokes are fantastic, Plankton's characterization is at its highest, Plankton's relatives are funny, story is captivating and lack of SpongeBob makes it a really special episode. SHELDON bit will never get old for me.

Life of Crime isn't one of my favorites but I totally get why it's there. SpongeBob and Patrick's obliviousness and innocence really make this episode. It's,one of the few episodes Patrick's assholish behavior works here. Jokes are great and story is fun. Totally a great ep.

Spoiler

24. "Krusty Krab is unfair! Mr. Krabs is in there! Standing at the concession, plotting his oppression!"

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS! HAHA!"

Squid on Strike - 108 points

8 of 30 lists. 1 #1 vote - @jjsthekid

2019 Ranking: N/A (+35 from HMs)

Season 2, written by Walt Dohrn, Paul Tibbitt, and Mark O'Hare

Plot: SpongeBob and Squidward go on strike.

Once again, what makes Squidward such a fun character is how principled he can be. He's usually ignorant or mildly annoyed by plot elements, given that most of the stories revolve around SpongeBob. But when he leads a story, you can't get him to quit. Organizing a strike against his cruel oppressor Mr. Krabs feels exactly on brand for Squidward, and honestly something I'm surprised hadn't been done sooner. Of course, bringing SpongeBob into the mix, who is woefully ignorant of what a strike is for the majority of the episode, brings the laughs. SpongeBob obviously loves his job and only joined the strike due to hype and idiocy, but when he comes around to what Squidward is saying, it's fun to see how much he gets into it as well, literally destroying the Krusty Krab board by board. Of course this would happen as Squidward and Mr. Krabs finally reach a deal. (All right, Mr. Krabs!) This one, coming at the end of Season 2, I feel like people forget about a lot. You can tell by the way it missed the list last year. But it's an episode full of fun, laughs, and great character moments from SpongeBob, Squidward, and Krabs alike. About all you could ask for from a strike episode.

Spoiler

23. "I'm so cold that... I'm shivering!"

image.jpeg.cda892b97937b2133e81cba01b79af72.jpeg

Survival of the Idiots - 108 points

9 of 30 lists. Highest Ranking: #5 - @almy

2019 Ranking: #32 (+9)

Season 2, written by Aaron Springer, C.H. Greenblatt, and Merriwether Williams

Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick are trapped in Sandy's treedome during the winter.

Let's ignore all the meteorological questions that arise from a treedome that shifts through the four seasons and focus on the episode. SpongeBob and Patrick are ignorant boobs. I feel like every time there's a SpongeBob and Patrick episode on this list, I find a way to insult them. But come on. How can you not fault them for breaking into Sandy's treedome during her hibernation season and ripping off her fur for warmth due to being stupid enough to enter in the first place? At least it makes for an entertaining and exciting episode. I love the design of hibernating Sandy. It's really funny but also legitimately threatening when it comes to the climactic moments. It's impressive how so much action can take place in what is essentially a bottle episode. Yeah, SpongeBob and Patrick are jerks in this one, but they get their comeuppance by the end. Don't disturb a squirrel when hibernating. This should be a lesson you don't have to learn by trial. Pinheads.

• Like 8
  • God Himself 1