• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever! (20 Year Anniversary Edition!)

Sweat

26. "With these spiky cleats, anything is possible!"
0bHsOGn.png
SpongeBob Meets the Strangler, 150 points
12 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @The Helpful Mexican) (+3)

Every since debuting at #16 on the 2013 list, the list regular SpongeBob Meets the Strangler has every so slowly went down on the list to #29 last year. Thankfully, though, it rebounded a little bit, even if it's just outside of the top half of the list. Either way, finishing off the bottom half of the list is this episode. This was yet another cut I had to make from my top 25, and one where I just absolutely love SpongeBob's performance. His naivety is both cute and makes for some great jokes here, and the Strangler is a perfect mix of funny and genuinely threatening and scary. Somehow, by the end of the episode, you feel kinda bad for him as he is unable to kill SpongeBob.

25. "Bee-bee-boo-bop, bee-bee-boo-beep."
JPcbd7o.png
Krab Borg, 158 points
9 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #3 @SquiddyFace ) (-12)

Now we have entered the tipping point: the top half of the list. It pains me to start off the top half, though, with what I personally see as the saddest jump on the entire list. Outside of 2013, this is the lowest the episode has been on the list. The fact that it managed to stick around despite being on 9 lists, though, is impressive. Fun fact: 6 out of the 9 lists had it in the top 6, including mine. #5 specifically. But yeah, this is a painful drop for me, because I do consider this one of the very best episodes of the show. Obviously, it's extremely quotable if spending more than a week on SBCord is any indication, and frankly, I would consider this the funniest episode in the show's history. #4-1 on my list are all very emotional episodes with humor as a generally secondary thing, but this is the one episode that continues to make me laugh more than any other. It feels like an assault of gag after gag, and it leaves you blown away with how many jokes you can fit in 11 minutes.

• Like 5

Spongebob Meets the Strangler: Made my list easily, it is such a memorable, and funny episode with one of the best one-time characters in the show.

Krab Borg: Another great episode that almost made my list, it's still up there with some of the best of s3.

SpongeBob vs the Strangler missed my list but there is no deny that this is one of the funniest episodes ever with one of the most bizarre storylines ever made.

Krab Borg is finally on my list this year. Pure hilarity of an episode with many memorable jokes and I absolutely adore SpongeBob/Squidward dynamic here.

Strangler: Amazing and hilarious epsode, made it on my list at #19

Krab Borg: Not on my list but is still hilarious.

Welcome to The Chum Bucke: Amazing episode with an amazing song, amazing story, and amazing humor. Made it on my list at #6 and its a shame it fell a bit.

Rock Bottom: Very funny episode, not on my list but at least top 100 for sure.

22. "Come on SpongeBob, let's go knock each other's brains out!"
TDYOZf0.png
Snowball Effect, 185 points
13 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #2 @Mambo No. 5 Bob the Builder) (+3)

Here's an interesting first for 2019's edition of the list. This is not just a regular on the top 50, but also the first episode to have showed up in the top half every single time. A top 25 regular! Heck, in 2016, it was as high as #10! Unfortunately, 2 years later, it fell hard down to #25, but here it is with a small rebound. For many, this is one of the best slices of interaction between the three residents on Conch Street, making for a hilarious episode. Most importantly is Squidward's role, though. Pre-movie SpongeBob really liked plots where Squidward begins stuck-up but slowly takes his inner child too far. Idiot Box, The Paper, my personal favorite being Squidville, but I can totally see why many consider this one of the best among those kinds of episodes. The real question, though, is whether the episode would be higher if it had the deleted scene of the snowman torture dungeon.

21. "It's finally all mine. The patties, the wealth, the notoriety!"
K3rVVaO.png
The Algae's Always Greener, 209 points
13 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @SquiddyFace) (-9)

Let's face it, using any other picture here would have been a mistake on my part. The Algae's had a fun trend throughout its stint as a list regular, as (except for this year), its trend has been consistently upward. Starting at #40 in 2013, it kept climbing and climbing up to an amazing #12 last year. Unfortunately, its golden streak is over as of 2019, where it fell down a considerable amount. If nothing else, though, it holds a very impressive milestone regardless, as the first 200+ point episode on the list! A 200+ entry just outside of the top 20 is amazing, as just last year, that milestone wasn't reached until #8. It really goes to show how relentless the community gets when it comes to things like this. While I never put this episode on my list, I appreciate it a lot. It's a very interesting concept, and a very sweet moment for Plankton by the end, as he learns to be grateful for some aspects of his original situation. Great episode to lead into the top 20.

• Like 7
  • Happy 1
  • Wow 1

Snowball Effect is fantastic. Definitely on my list due to it's charming story, funny jokes, one of Squidward's best characterizations ever and me being a sucker for winter themed episodes. It's nothing but a masterpiece in my mind.

The Algae's Always Green is not on my list but it's such a great "what if" story with tons of quality gags and a great exploration of Plankton's character.

Why was this post deleted? I have no idea why.

SpongeBob Meets the Strangler: One of my favorites that's always able to make me laugh. It's also the last ep I remember my whole family sat down to watch.

Krab Borg: A great episode that I always love to quote. Welcome to the Chum Bucket: Another great episode that has a lot of funny interaction between SpongeBob and Squidward.

Welcome to the Chum Bucket: A funny and heartwarming episode. It fun to see SpongeBob working at the Chum Bucket for once, and how he chooses to be unreasonable with Plankton once the latter tries to be compassionate and patient in order to get a krabby patty from  him.

@OWM I remember the song was played on Nickelodeon years ago and it was referred to as "A Greasy Spoon", so that could be the official name for it.

Rock Bottom: A classic and totally relatable episode for anyone who has gotten on the wrong bus and ended up in a unfamiliar location.

The Snowball Effect: This one isn't among my personal favorites, but it is still enjoyable to watch and has a lot of funny moments.

The Algae's Always Greener: Another of one of my favorite episodes that I often love to quote and laugh at. 

Snowball Effect is an episode that runs beautifully right from the get go. Not only is the opening scenic and creative, it’s also very enjoyable. I love those brief shots of Bikini Bottom draped in snow, and the reactions and activities of the characters, like Mr. Krabs building a dollar sculpture, Plankton getting crushed by the flakes, and even Patrick making a “snow angel.” The fight between SpongeBob and Patrick is glorious, especially the rapid-fire scene. Seeing the snowballs all go into Patrick’s mouth in slo-mo has to be one of the greatest jokes in series history. The episode diversified pretty well once Squidward enters the fray, too. I adore his general inexperience with fighting as SpongeBob and Patrick keep tearing him down with a wall of snow. His little rush of excitement from hitting SpongeBob is also pretty sweet, and it’s pretty scary to see how quickly morphs into complete paranoia and self-gratification. Funny how easily SpongeBob and Patrick are able to slip away while Squidward mutters about “the possibility of an aerial attack.” It's an amazingly action-packed, classic, SpongeBob-Patrick-Squidward laugh fest. I love the passion and the competition all three show here and it makes for some legendary comedy. Placement well-deserved.

Algae has always been a favorite of mine mainly because the comedy is just completely on point. I love seeing Plankton’s struggle to adapt. It’s cool to see how his aggressiveness and introversion translates horribly to the climate of the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob and Squidward also have great roles here. It was hilarious to see them both struggle with their new positions, as brief as the scene was. “OH MY GOODNESS! SQUIDWARD!” “I SOILED THE GOOD KRUSTY KRAB NAME!” SpongeBob in particular has to be my favorite character here. I laugh at how overly exaggerated his personality is in the alternate world, his fierce obedience to the restaurant and its rules, and his constant seeking of Plankton’s approval. Mr. Krabs, however, is completely awesome. Funny how Plankton fits into Mr. Krabs’ life so horribly, but Mr. Krabs fits into Plankton’s life perfectly. His schemes and tricks become so much funnier when a giant naked crab is doing them all. Plankton’s quote of “GOOD GRIEF, HE’S NAKED!” says everything. The ending is also very sweet. I love Plankton’s newfound appreciation for his old life. A great opener to my favorite season of the show, as well as a nice entry into the top 25.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

"The Algae's Always Greener" was definitely on MY list! :D Glad to see that it's also the first 200+ point episode to be on this list! Not to mention, this episode has provided at LEAST two different memes for Internet users to use! The "Standing out there all day listening to (something annoying meme)"; and the "Oh my goodness! Meme", where something looks good at first, but on closer inspection, is revealed to be something HORRIBLE! :hysterical: Enough said! :cool:

11 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

Why was this post deleted? I have no idea why.

Around the time after you made your post, JCM did a site back-up and then an update sometime later which probably accidentally wiped it; our apologies.

While I'm sad that Chum Bucket fell, I'm glad it still made it high enough at all. 

Edited by Jon Snow