• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever! (20 Year Anniversary Edition!)

Sweat

Welcome to the Chum Bucket: Sorry, I don't get the appeal to this being that high up, cause besides the song, nothing else here really stands out to me, there's nothing wrong with it but one of season 2's weaker ones for me.

Rock Bottom: Fantastic episode with probably the best atmosphere I've ever seen in the entire show, totally made my list.

Snowball Effect: Also made my list, it's just fun and amazing jokes throughout, and it's hilarious seeing Squidward go overboard.

The Algea's Always Greener: Is an amazing premiere to my favorite season, has to be one of the most quotable eps out there imo.

20. "If you want a Krabby Patty, you'll have to rent a room and order room service."
MhUrFi1.png
Krusty Towers, 219 points
17 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #3 @Clappy) (-1)

We start off the top 20 with Krusty Towers, a fairly legendary episode on this list. It's one of only two post-movie episodes to have ever made the top 10 prior to 2019, and the only one to have been in the top 10 twice. Oh, how legends fall. After its place in the top 10 in 2013 and 2015, it did fall out, with 2019 being the lowest the episode has ever been. It goes to show how the masses' opinion on the post-movie canon is still very much in flux and will probably be like that for a while. That said, it's thankfully still in the top 20! Personally, it's not an episode I love, nor is it one that I would even consider among my favorite season 4 episodes, but SBC's love for it is completely understandable. I was initially going to say that it has a pre-movie energy, but that would be completely unfair. Season 4, or at least the first half of it, has its own unique vibe, character interactions and sense of humor to it that I feel is unlike much before or after. Krusty Towers is a great example of that season 4 formula that so many initially had an unfair allergic reaction to.

19. "Attention climbers, please hold on! The saws are on the way!"
image.png.084925a5cfec83e9b4c16472bacb0f61.png
Idiot Box, 224 points
17 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #5 @Matt0417) (-3)

Idiot Box is yet another episode that could reasonably be seen as "canonized," having been a regular in the top 20 since 2013, even having been in the top 10 twice! This is a case where an episode has thrived on the list despite having only having on top-5 rank at #5! While that fact (especially since Idiot Box's arguably biggest fan on SBC, Cha, didn't submit this year) did make it drop at the lowest it has ever been as well, it still hangs in there thanks to the huge amount of entries with Idiot Box on them. It's just an episode that a whole lot of people like a lot, and for good reason. While this episode is super funny, it also has some spooky undertones to it. Are the magic sounds from the box actually somehow there, or is it fully Squidward's imagination? The extremely blurred lines make for a classic Squidward performance. A "Squiddy completely loses his marbles" classic.

• Like 6

Krusty Towers is not on my top 25 but it's still such a fantastic episode with tons of hilarious jokes and a good plot. Definitely one of my favorite episodes.

Idiot Box ended up being on my list, what can be said that hasn't already been said? A creative premise and as a result, tons of great jokes hitting at each second and what can I say? I'm sucker for Squidward falling for SpongeBob and Patrick's antics.

Krusty Towers: Simply superb and deserves a top 10 spot imo, made my list very high up.

Idiot Box: Is a classic but I just happen to like some episodes more than this, still fantastic.

I missed out on quite a bit, but my opinions on those episodes are pretty much what most people have already said about them. For the most recent ones though...

Krusty Towers: Gonna be honest, I don't understand why this episode gets so high on the site best list every year. Don't get me wrong, I like and enjoy this episode, but I don't find it that great, nor do I think it's even in the top 10 of Season 4. It's a good and funny episode, but other episodes from the same season do the same but even better if you ask me, but I digress... 8/10

Idiot Box: This is actually in the weaker half of Season 3 for me. It's not that I dislike this episode, not at all, but I'm not feeling it as much with this one as with a few other S3 episodes. Heck, it doesn't really pick up until the latter half of the episode. That being said, I do enjoy enough parts of it to consider it good, it's just that I don't strongly like it. 7/10

18. "These strangers have come to rescue us, like in the prophecy."
q3QMRfp.png
Dunces and Dragons, 224 points
18 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #1 @jack_of_all_traids) (+5)

Dunces and Dragons' history on this list is almost heartwarming. It first appeared on the list in 2015 and just consistently kept on making huge leaps all the way up to 2019, where it made the top 20 for the first time ever. As love for season 4 kept rising, this episode has risen along with it, and it feels kinda triumphant that it finally secured a spot so high. Granted, I may show a bit of bias as this is one of my favorite episodes of the show, and my second favorite of post-movie. The big two season 4 specials have a nearly legendary status, and this one takes "legendary" to a new level. SpongeBob's take on the medieval hero's journey archetype made for so many opportunities for hilarious scenes and touching moments that a decision to make it ANY less than a half-hour special would have been a grave mistake. Plus, Squidly is untouchable.

17. "dolphin noise"
HjKGmKL.png
Sailor Mouth, 233 points
17 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank 2 #3's @jack_of_all_traids @The last carotte) (+5)

Here's another episode that has only went uphill since it made it on the list! It made it onto the honorable mentions in 2015, leaped up to #26 in 2016, and began making small jumps until it made it into the top 20 this year. On the emotion/laughs spectrum of great SpongeBob episodes, Sailor Mouth joins episodes such as Krab Borg and Chocolate With Nuts on the extreme end of complete hilarity. Watching this episode feels a lot like watching an episode of a mid-90's Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network show thanks to all the filthy subject matter that doesn't even attempt to try to fly over the radar. It's arguably one of SpongeBob's more "controversial" moments, but it's also one of the show's funniest. Not that many episodes capture the carefree spirit of classic SpongeBob like this one does.

• Like 7

Krusty Towers: Another hilarious and amazing episode that made my list, at #12

Idiot Box: Not on my list but defitenly in at least top 100, amazing episode thats very funny.

90% of the things i’ve said on this thread are basically the same thing

BRUH YOU POSTED RIGHT AS I WAS POSTING

Dunces and Dragons: Amazing episode, very funny, has great atmosphere, and is a very fun adventure episode. Made it on my list at #24

Sailor Mouth: Very funny episode, in top 100 somewhere.

I may need a rewatch for Dunces and Dragons because it's not exactly one of my favorite episodes but it's one of the best specials ever. It truly feels like an epic tale, animation is pure solid, jokes are rapidf ire and Squidly is an amazing character. If only other specials take cue from this episode.

Sailor Mouth is not on my list but it's one of the funniest episodes indeed. The episode could have been annoying with making swears bleep but they added dolphin noises and other stuff that it made it so hilarious. I love Mr. Krabs trying to teach SpongeBob and Patrick swearing is wrong, yet he falls for the same thing. I just love everything about this episode.

Dunces and Dragons: One of the show's best specials. It explores a setting that was never used beforehand on the show and does so to the fullest it can. While I'm not sure what else to say, I'll leave it as this is a good episode. 8/10

Sailor Mouth: Really funny. I love moments in cartoons which taunt or sometimes even break past the censors, and this episode's mere existence plays to that. It's not my favorite Season 2 episode but it's up there. 9/10

16. "Everything's chrome in the future!"
SkoLhWA.png
SB-129, 240 points
19 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #2 @WhoBob) (+12)

For better or for worse, I don't think season 1 of SpongeBob is known for taking a crazy amount of risks or doing anything out there. SB-129, meanwhile, is a huge exception. This episode debuted in 2015 at #28, fell down to #44, rose back up to #28, and now it has a secured spot in the top 20! What I think is especially interesting about SB-129 this year, though, is the fact that the number of lists nearly tripled, from 7 to 19. The rise of the love of SB-129 is a welcome surprise, as this is one of the best episodes of season 1. Like I said, it's one of the coolest and most creative concepts of any episode from that season, a season that was generally based around building character interaction. It's a total trip of an episode, and a thoroughly enjoyable watch once you account for the real empathy you feel for Squidward as he breaks down.

15. "We just got a call about two ghouls burying a stiff over by Shallow Grave Road."
x7MOSPh.png
Nasty Patty, 258 points
20 out of 44 lists (Highest Rank #3 @AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) (-4)

Nasty Patty, despite having never made the top 10, has been a regular of the top 20 since 2013. It's been in positions as high as #11 and as low as #19, so it's apt that it's at the midpoint between its peak and nadir this year. It also has the highest list count on the top 50 so far, ever so close to being in half of the top 25's that y'all (including me!) submitted. To this day, it's still kind of hard to believe that this episode got greenlighted. The surface level public impression of SpongeBob is obviously squeaky-clean humor and good vibes, but those who actually grew up with the show knew dang well how dark the show could be. Very few children's shows have the guts to not just make an episode where two of the main characters think they killed someone, but to make it genuinely funny. The dark humor in this episode is always welcome, and it's one of my favorite episodes in the show's history.

• Like 5
  • Happy 1

SB-129 is one of those episodes that writers really went crazy, creative and trippy and this could be seen as the first episode to go beyond slice of life/calm pacing. I love everything about this episode. The plot is pure nonsense in a good way, time travel aspect here is done comedically and it genuinely made me feel for Squidward. The animation is superb and jokes are just as brilliant. It's an episode that challenges what the show's capable of and that's why it's my second favorite episode ever. I couldn't have been happier for this episode's push to top 20.

Nasty Patty is yet another episode to make my list. I loved how the episode has a really dark premise, yet it turned it into a laugh festival.

SB-129: Amazing episode, it has amazing atmosphere, amazing plot, and is very funny. It’s my favorite of season 1 and is  on my list at #9.

Nasty Patty: Not on my list but still an amazing episode thats hilarious and has amazing atmosphere. 

YES JUST ONE BITE IS IN TOP 15 WE DID IT REDDIT

Krusty Towers is one of the best post-movie episodes. It's really funny and has a great story, and is in my opinion the most memorable post-movie episode. Not the best, but the most memorable.

Idiot Box also made my list. It's one of Squidward's best appearances and is really creative.

Dunces and Dragons is absolutely fantastic. Great story, really funny, and has awesome action. I can't think of a single bad thing in that episode. I put this at #1 on my list and its position hasn't changed since.

Sailor Mouth is also amazing. Like Roller Cowards, it's very funny and very relatable, but even more so here. It's one of this show's best.

SB-129 made my list (only barely though) because of how surreal it is. I honestly love it.

Nasty Patty was never an episode I held that high in regard but I will say the writers handled the dark tone very well.

Squidville: This episode would literally be the number 26 on my top 25 (I need to rethink my list). The gags, idea, and plot of the episode make it truly a great one.

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V: Barnacle Boy joining the dark side in MMBB V is one of my favourite Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes. IV and III hold a special place in my heart, but V should've honestly been the last one. It has so many fun and wacky gags and is such a great season 3 episode.

SpongeBob Meets the Strangler: Nothing really to say about this one, I think. It's such an interesting and weird concept for an episode, but there are lots of fun jokes and lots of comedy.

Krab Borg: This episode is so fun. SpongeBob and Squidward's dire measures to stop Mr. Krabs, who has turned into a so-called "robot" are hilarious. Not on my top 25 though.

Welcome to the Chum Bucket: THIS GRILL IS NOT A STOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE-I mean, this is a great episode with such a sad plot but that's what makes it lovable.

Rock Bottom: Such a creepy and out there plot and idea. I can't imagine being stuck in a place like Rock Bottom. SpongeBob thankfully and finally getting out of there makes me happy though.

Snowball Effect (#5 out of 25): Where to start? This episode's gags and jokes start literally right at the beginning and are never contained throughout. I love this episode so much. The snowball fighting is literally such a fun part of the episode.

The Algae's Always Greener (#3 out of 25): Plankton getting tired and wishing that he could step in Mr. Krabs's shoes and own the Krusty Krab instead of the Chum Bucket is such a great episode idea. I love the role reversal here.

Krusty Towers (#23 out of 25): Mr. Krabs's greed makes this episode so fun. I love how he literally built a fucking hotel on top of the Krusty Krab. The jokes and gags in this episode are also great. My personal favourite is when Squidward keeps requesting to change

Idiot Box (#6 out of 25): They play with a fucking box. I love it. The best part of this episode is truly when they go mountain climbing and it all of a sudden becomes dramatic. I love Squidward's efforts to try and have fun in the box. Honestly...this reminds me of The Paper a lot.

Dunces and Dragons: I...I don't know. I loved it, but it wouldn't be on my top 25. Maybe because I haven't watched it in a while.

Sailor Mouth: This ::dolphin noise:: episode is such a ::dolphin noise:: good episode. I seriously ::dolphin noise:: enjoyed it. SpongeBob and friends swearing makes the episode so suggestive and risky, but it's ::dolphin noise:: great nonetheless.

SB-129: The future and the past. I love this episode a lot. Squidward literally going out of space and time just to be alone is what makes this episode great.

Nasty Patty: Such a grim episode as SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs literally plan on killing the health inspector with a Krabby Patty, but the grim plot and dark feeling of the episode make it lovable and a classic. This will probably make it on my next list.