• Advertisement

231b. Ink Lemonade

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Lemonades: We love the source!
    • 4/5 Lemonades: I'll just have to scare the ink out of him!
    • 3/5 Lemonades: I can't tell what's real anymore...
    • 2/5 Lemonades: I will not!
    • 1/5 Lemonades: Yuck.

16 minutes ago, BeachBob95 said:

I can forgive the ending, since Squidward was being mean to him before. 

I'm extremely curious as to how Squidward acted out of line at all, I can't recall a single instance where Patrick wasn't the instigator.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BeachBob95 said:

Although the ending part with Squidward sneezing on everyone and him spitting out spiders was very nasty, I thought this was a good, original scary episode. The dungeon especially was an entertaining and cool part for me. And although I would've rather seen Patrick losing at the end, I can forgive the ending, since Squidward was being mean to him before. This episode was funny and cool to me. The fact that I like it may have to do with low expectations because of reading very negative reviews before watching it. 

Well, congratulations to you then for liking this episode, you're in the extreme minority. Not disagreeing with you since I need to rewatch for a proper judgement, just saying, it's cool you were able to like it. Most of us couldn't.

• Like 1

Omg guys this was the BEST Spongebob episode ever! Even better than OCM or even APFG. The parts where Patrick was scaring Squidward for the ink were hilarious XD And the part where Squidward spit out spiders at the end was amazing 

Final rating: 1000/10

• Like 2
  • Happy 1
  • Confused 4

Wow, people actually hate this episode? I'm amazed. Seriously, Squidward deserved every ounce of torture he received from Patrick, fuck him. Also, Squidward squirting ink from his nose turned me the fuck on. I had a mad orgasm throughout, and those spiders he spit out at the end....... Goddamn.........

I fucking loved this episode, much better than any episode from Season 6 or 7. 10/10.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • God Himself 1

8 hours ago, Something the So and So said:

I'm extremely curious as to how Squidward acted out of line at all, I can't recall a single instance where Patrick wasn't the instigator.

Well, at the very beginning, when he noticed Patrick had a lemonade stand, Squidward acted pretty mean towards him, even though Patrick was annoying. But I don't get why people aren't this angry with Code Yellow, since Squidward actually got mutilated in very schocking and disturbing ways in that episode. And I actually like that episode as well. The thing is that I don't really care that much when there is injustice in an episode (maybe it's because I'm from a different culture or something). I just love Code Yellow for taking a risk with showing shocking imagery and being very creative, and I like Ink Lemonade because I think they were creative with making a scary episode revolving around lemonde. Also I just really liked the scary dungeon, because I kinda love to be shocked. Squidward may not have liked it, but it was just ... cartoony. Sure, I love Squidward, but we know that at the end, when he got a cookie, he wasn't even really mad with Patrick anymore. The very ending ruined a sweet moment, but I don't get why I should be mad when Squidward isn't even that mad or permanently scarred at the end. In an episode where we see Squidward actually getting suicidal because of the injustice that is done to him, like in Are You Happy Now (which isn't even a very cartoony or creative episode), I do hurt when when watching it. I don't like to see Squidward seriously being depressed, when also the episode itself isn't creative in any way besides showing depression.

I hate episodes that are boring, uninspired or annoying. But I don't really mind when there is injustice. Every character sometimes is the butt of the jokes. Also I really don't hate One Coarse Meal and A Pal for Gary, because I thought they were creative with the plot. I do have to admit that A Pal for Gary was a little frustrating for me, since SpongeBob never understood what Gary went through. But it's not that big a deal for me, obviously.

Edited by BeachBob95

6 minutes ago, Cream said:

Wow, people actually hate this episode? I'm amazed. Seriously, Squidward deserved every ounce of torture he received from Patrick, fuck him. Also, Squidward squirting ink from his nose turned me the fuck on. I had a mad orgasm throughout, and those spiders he spit out at the end....... Goddamn.........

I fucking loved this episode, much better than any episode from Season 6 or 7. 10/10.

OH MY GOD YOU HAD AN ORGASM TOO??? I WAS AFRAID I WAS THE ONLY ONE 

Squidward inking out of his nose was really hot, I will admit. :blush:

• Happy 2
  • Confused 3

-The title pun is determined to ruin my enjoyment of pink lemonade.

-The lady's convulsions were not the knee slapper they thought it was. Just more creep factor.

-"May I borrow a cup of squid squeezies?". Ok, so Kaz is just intent on traumatizing children and encouraging theft using other people's work.

-"Wait your turn like everybody else". SpongePrick enabling this somehow grinds my gears more than anything Patrick's done. SB used to have a moral compass.

-The barfing in Squidward's house "gag" was mind numbing. They're outside, what does invading personal property accomplish to that end?

-Spiders hatching outside of someone's mouth has always set off my cringe meter. A phobia I developed from an early age due to a scary film my sister's dad played.

--To quote Squidward "thanks for reminding me why I hate you". @ new Spongebob. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is not a joke, I repeat, this is not a Joke. I absolutely loved this episode. I was laughing throughout it, mainly because the torture to Squidward was actually funny, in comparison to the "cringy prick torture" that accompanied Season 6 to 9 episodes. This really does feel like the Funny Pants of Season 11, the episode that everyone hates, but I love. My only problem with the episode was the gross-out shots which are pretty disgusting, but considering how much of a laugh I was given, I forgive these.

Bottle Burglars is still my favourite Season 11 episode, but this is defiantly my 2nd favourite so far.

Verdict: I liked it.

• Like 2
  • Happy 2
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 3

I probably should just go ahead and give my honest and serious opinion on this episode.

I don't hate it.

The only thing that really bothered me was the animation tbh, I almost couldn't handle how crazy it was and almost stopped watching halfway through because of it. Though I don't know if that's because I haven't gotten used to the animation like others probably have since I barely watch the show anymore. I also didn't mind any of the gross-out, but idk. It wasn't really that funny either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wow....I have to say that this episode was just awful, I felt very disgusted when I rewatched it. Here are my pros and mostly cons.

Pros:
- A few of the face expressions are actually funny
- The animation looks very good

Cons:
- Patrick is just a big jerk here 
- The spider part was so stupid (I seriously prefer Urchins now)
- Also how the heck did Patrick get a spider if he's afraid of them in some of the previous episodes like Home Sweet Pineapple or Life Insurance? (I know the show has no continuity but come on)
- The bandage part....OH MY GOSH
- Squidward inking was just so gross
- Near the ending where he inks on every background fish is just stupid
- The ending O_O

Aside from the face expressions, this was not funny and was mostly disgusting and annoying. Definitely the worst episode of the post-sequel era and one of the worst episode I've seen in a long time.

3/10 (First episode I hated since Little Yellow Book)

Edit: I rewatched it a 3rd time and it's just as bad as before: 2/10 (It's definitely one of the worst episodes of the show)

Edited by BlurpleFace
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 6:08 PM, BeachBob95 said:

Well, at the very beginning, when he noticed Patrick had a lemonade stand, Squidward acted pretty mean towards him, even though Patrick was annoying. But I don't get why people aren't this angry with Code Yellow, since Squidward actually got mutilated in very schocking and disturbing ways in that episode. And I actually like that episode as well. The thing is that I don't really care that much when there is injustice in an episode (maybe it's because I'm from a different culture or something). I just love Code Yellow for taking a risk with showing shocking imagery and being very creative, and I like Ink Lemonade because I think they were creative with making a scary episode revolving around lemonde. Also I just really liked the scary dungeon, because I kinda love to be shocked. Squidward may not have liked it, but it was just ... cartoony. Sure, I love Squidward, but we know that at the end, when he got a cookie, he wasn't even really mad with Patrick anymore. The very ending ruined a sweet moment, but I don't get why I should be mad when Squidward isn't even that mad or permanently scarred at the end. In an episode where we see Squidward actually getting suicidal because of the injustice that is done to him, like in Are You Happy Now (which isn't even a very cartoony or creative episode), I do hurt when when watching it. I don't like to see Squidward seriously being depressed, when also the episode itself isn't creative in any way besides showing depression.

I hate episodes that are boring, uninspired or annoying. But I don't really mind when there is injustice. Every character sometimes is the butt of the jokes. Also I really don't hate One Coarse Meal and A Pal for Gary, because I thought they were creative with the plot. I do have to admit that A Pal for Gary was a little frustrating for me, since SpongeBob never understood what Gary went through. But it's not that big a deal for me, obviously.

so what you are saying

Being mean to someone = automatically scaring him for profit

and what if Squidward wasn't so mentally scarred at the end? People barfed in his house and he wanted to eat one cookie because it was just a cookie but it turned into spider eggs.

we all know the answer:

rTJbbVd.png

• God Himself 4

It's been forever since I've actually properly reviewed an episode, but I was curious. So, here we go.

Observations

What I first noticed about this episode is how "le goofey" the animation is. I don't know, it felt like they were trying too hard with these weird visual gags. They add nothing and they get especially obnoxious after a while. There's also another type of goofy, in that the closeups are back! Woohoo! I have little to no experience with these new episodes, but I'm surprised to see those odd, disturbing shots of bodily parts make their return. They're not gagworthy or anything but they're not something I enjoy seeing. This episode would fit marvelously in Season 6 or 7 with its Robertryan Cory brethren. I also can't help but see blood in place of ink every time it gushes out of Squidward's nose. It's not exactly comforting coming from someone who used to get nosebleeds all the time.

What I Liked

There are a few visuals that I like, such as that shot of Patrick's body from the inside and a little Patrick is running up some spiral stairs in his brain. Some of that shots inside the tent aren't that bad either. The title card music is nice too! Twelfth Street Rag is timeless.

What I Didn't Like

The entire episode is annoying and rushed. There are so many instances where the characters are doing nothing but making some silly face/noise/using megaphones for no reason (probably to fill time). The majority of the jokes here are slapstick, which seems to be the norm for Season 11. But as it turns out, it's the just the same ones repeated over and over again. SpongeBob and Patrick scream at people with megaphones, and Squidward leaks ink out of his nose. Those are the only two jokes. And of course, Patrick. Based on what I've seen from these new episodes, he's mainly just written like a small, disabled child nowadays. Half of the episode is him screaming and doing stupid things until he suddenly decides to emotionally torture Squidward with a surreal, Squid's Visit inspired horror tent for the rest of the episode. There's absolutely no consistent tone to this episode either. There's a scene where Squidward's being rolled over inside the fake Krusty Krab on a conveyor belt. He's visibly and audibly crying and mentally disturbed, which is really off-putting for what's supposed to be a silly, off-the-wall episode. And then like five seconds later it goes right back to the silly faces and screencaps. And then later at the very end, Squidward is grabbing a cookie from his neighbors to feel better. At first viewing I was predicting there would be some sort of weird, twisted, Enchanted Tiki Dreams-esque ending to cap off an already twisted episode. But no, it's just the exact same joke we've been subjected to for the past eleven minutes.

Conclusion

As someone who has only seen two other episodes of this season beforehand, a season that isn't even finished, I think I can say with utmost confidence that this is the worst episode of the season. It's lazy, disorganized, inconsistent, crude, cruel, and tries too hard to use shock and "random" humor for a laugh. Clearly this was a waste of time I should have spent studying for the AP exams as well as a huge regression in quality back to the dark ages of Seasons 6 and 7. Screw this episode.

0.5/10

• Like 3
  • God Himself 6

1 hour ago, BeachBob95 said:

Finally someone gets it! You and me seem to be the only ones here who don't hate One Coarse Meal and A Pal for Gary. I too don't hate this episode either, but I didn't enjoy it too well either. There were some funny parts like the haunted house. Some people take Squidward's abuse way too seriously.

• Thanks 1

o.o What...in all of King Neptune's unholy abominations, did Kaz just WRITE?! Just when I thought that Spongebob was PAST what TV Tropes would call a "Dork-age", (several of season 6's episodes, most of season 7, and some of season 8, which was BETTER than the preceding two seasons in my honest opinion); anyways, Kaz takes the WORST qualities of Ben Gruber's and John Kricfalusi's cartoons, multiplies it by a thousand, throws in EVERY single poorly conceived mental and emotional abuse to Squidward, and gives Patrick no come-uppance for his behavior! I don't CARE if Patrick was just trying to run an honest lemonade stand, that gave him absolutely no right to TORMENT Squidward the way that Patrick DID! :rolleyes: The only gag I found even REMOTELY funny was the part with the megaphones! Honestly? This feels like "Spongebob Squarepant's" version of the infamous "Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon" episode, "Moving On Up," with the WORST possible choice for sea creatures to be refreshing themselves! All in all, I have to sarcastically say: "Congratulations, Kaz! You just created the NEW The Splinter episode segment!" To quote a "Dave the Barbarian" episode (which is referring to grades), I'd have to say: "There must be SOMETHING worse than an F! Z, Z, Z!!!!" I'd ONLY give this episode a 1/10, and THAT'S for the megaphone joke alone! Believe THAT, true believers!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Cream said:

9 hours ago, PhantomJuice said:

OH MY GOD YOU HAD AN ORGASM TOO??? I WAS AFRAID I WAS THE ONLY ONE 

Squidward inking out of his nose was really hot, I will admit. :blush:

And the worst posts of the year go to...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Dr. Thanos said:

so what you are saying

Being mean to someone = automatically scaring him for profit

and what if Squidward wasn't so mentally scarred at the end? People barfed in his house and he wanted to eat one cookie because it was just a cookie but it turned into spider eggs.

Well, like I said, I am not very sensitive for injustice within a cartoon, as long as it's at least creative. Sometimes a character is the butt. I never see Squidward trying to be friends with SpongeBob and Patrick, because he sees them as lowlife. As we can see in both Snowball Effect and Idiot Box, Squidward can actually enjoy their games of he opens himself up to it. Also he never tries to be nice to costumers and overall is ungrateful for his life, despite having enough dough to afford the house and furniture that he has. I don't see why he can't be the rare end of an episode sometimes. It's not like he is better than the others. If anything, he seems like an adultlike pessimist, like Mrs. Puff. The show likes to mess with those characters, who might even resemble the parents that are annoyed by the show. Maybe this way the writers give them an 'I see you', when also stating that SpongeBob will always be childlike and optimistic.

Edited by BeachBob95

2 hours ago, BeachBob95 said:

Well, like I said, I am not very sensitive for injustice within a cartoon, as long as it's at least creative. Sometimes a character is the butt. I never see Squidward trying to be friends with SpongeBob and Patrick, because he sees them as lowlife. As we can see in both Snowball Effect and Idiot Box, Squidward can actually enjoy their games of he opens himself up to it. Also he never tries to be nice to costumers and overall is ungrateful for his life, despite having enough dough to afford the house and furniture that he has. I don't see why he can't be the rare end of an episode sometimes. It's not like he is better than the others. If anything, he seems like an adultlike pessimist, like Mrs. Puff. The show likes to mess with those characters, who might even resemble the parents that are annoyed by the show. Maybe this way the writers give them an 'I see you', when also stating that SpongeBob will always be childlike and optimistic.

I don't see what's so creative about a booger being used as a lemonade but ok. If you wanna mess up with characters, do it right. Why does to have to be Squidward all the time? That's such a lazy and repetitve writing that proves that this show is running out of ideas. Why can't it be Patrick that gets shitted on for once? Why are the stupid characters that gets away with their actions? Yes, Squidward has always been a pessimistic character but in this story, we don't know who the protagonist is. Why should we root for Patrick ruining Squidward's day? Just for some buck? Patrick doesn't even care for money and the minute I watched him, I knew it was so out of character for him. Take a look at Chocolate With Nuts. An episode where SpongeBob and Patrick got invested on rich life, so they try to sell something but it doesn't work. That's a great way to set up a conflict where our heroes fail and get a bad day. Here? Patrick seems completely okay and not once, he felt bad for Squidward. How is it supposed to make me care for his motivation? He was an ass with no justification.

Did this episode want me to root for Squidward? If so, why didn't he win? He was mean to costumers because they thought Squidward was cutting the line and Squidward was pissed off that Patrick used his ink as lemonade. Squidward had every right to be mad at Patrick and the costumers. I get it, it's just a cartoon but this was such a sufferable and disgusting one.

How to do an episode of making the character butt monkey right? Make the premise focus on that character (Squidward, not Patrick) and ruin his day with a proper justification. Show us how he finds something so bad from our other main characters and makes fun of them for it, only minutes later he gets jealous of it but he can't make it work for himself and in the end, his day is ruined. Wanna have good examples of this? 

The Paper, Idiot Box, Unreal Estate, Snowball Effect, The Campfire Episode and even though karma felt a bit too far, you can say same about Club SpongeBob. Those episodes punish Squidward and they do it right. Not the mention, they had great gags and solid stories.

What are the holy creative gags of this episode?

- Squidward sneezes a lot

- loud microphones

- Patrick scares Squidward

- Costumers are mean people

- Squidward has spiders coming out of him.

These aren't clever or creative gags, they are repulsive, mean and disgusting.

How would I write this story well?

Squidward finds out about how stupid Patrick's lemonade stand is, suddenly Patrick discovers an ingredient (that doesn't belong to Squidward) and that makes his lemonade stand successful. Squidward gets jealous of the success and he tries to replicate Patrick's success but it doesn't work. Then Squidward gets no option but to steal the ingredient, as a result he gets more successful and he rubs it on Patrick but then something bad happens with ingredient and he gets karma from his jealousy. Now that's a good set up for making Squidward a butt monkey and delivering good character interaction. Throw in some unexpected dialogue humor and you have a good episode.

Comedic cartoons shouldn't just focus on making same joke all the time or change character behaviour for sake of plot to work. They should make the characters stay in character and come up with actual clever gags. Care for the story dammit because that is important in every single tv show, comedic or dramatic. I didn't give a shit about Patrick's conflict and all this time and Squidward gets punished for something he didn't do wrong. Patrick is the jerk and Squidward is the victim of this story. And this episode proves my point that the show focuses too much on stupid faical expressions and slapstick that it forgot what made this show so unique and amazing in the first place. These writers can come up with better material than this.

• Like 5
  • God Himself 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. Thanos said:

Squidward finds out about how stupid Patrick's lemonade stand is, suddenly Patrick discovers an ingredient (that doesn't belong to Squidward) and that makes his lemonade stand successful. Squidward gets jealous of the success and he tries to replicate Patrick's success but it doesn't work. Then Squidward gets no option but to steal the ingredient, as a result he gets more successful and he rubs it on Patrick but then something bad happens with ingredient and he gets karma from his jealousy. Now that's a good set up for making Squidward a butt monkey and delivering good character interaction. Throw in some unexpected dialogue humor and you have a good episode.

Comedic cartoons shouldn't just focus on making same joke all the time or change character behaviour for sake of plot to work. They should make the characters stay in character and come up with actual clever gags. Care for the story dammit because that is important in every single tv show, comedic or dramatic. I didn't give a shit about Patrick's conflict and all this time and Squidward gets punished for something he didn't do wrong. Patrick is the jerk and Squidward is the victim of this story. And this episode proves my point that the show focuses too much on stupid faical expressions and slapstick that it forgot what made this show so unique and amazing in the first place. These writers can come up with better material than this.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see Squidward win, rather than how it turned out. The story could have been a lot better. I just think they were creative with making an episode about lemonade a scary one. This episode is not perfect, and I see how people could be frustrated with the way Squidward was treated. If I had to choose, I'd say your story is the better one. The story that they eventually went with is still original and cool to me, though.

I think all I can say about this episode has already been said but otherwise, here goes

After I first watched this episode, I just found it... alright, not too bad but alright. Then, after hearing from other people about how bad it was, I rewatched it... holy shit, this episode is bad. Patrick was annoying throughout the whole episode. From yelling into microphones to trapping Squidward in an area with no escape, it's safe to say Patrick is the worst character here. Squidward is mentally tormented throughout nearly the whole episode. Patrick rolling up his skin to show his skeleton and organs was... unnecessary, along with him inviting a spider into Squidward's house. Why is he doing this? Oh, just to get more ink from Squidward, who basically has a nosebleed each time he's scared. Yeah, this episode was... something. It just devolved even more when Patrick built that area outside of Squidward's door. The show got the creepy atmosphere down... prehaps a bit too well, because the episode just became even more unnerving from there on. The nursery was the worst part, with a cradle made out of bones and that music box... creepy. Seeing Squidward break down crying in fear before entering a replica of the Krusty Krab was also... unnecessary. Even after he breaks out of the area, the rest of the episode's not much better. The customers are pushy as hell and just serve to torment Squidward even more. First they want the black lemonade but then they don't? Sure, how it was obtained in the first place was unethical and creepy but... yeah. The ending was also rather... unnecessary. Squidward eats a homemade cookie baked by Spongebob and Patrick, only to find out that it was filled with spider eggs... yeah, that was unnecessary also.

Overall, this episode reached a level of bad that hasn't been seen in a long time. It's weird, gross, disturbing and downright awful. In my opinion, it's one on those episodes that had an interesting idea that failed badly due to execution. And when I say "failed badly", I mean failed BADL:Y. I'd have to leave it with a 2/10; it's a HORRIBLE episode and had it been even microscopically worse, I would have given it a 1/10, which would've made it a TERRIBLE episode. This is Kaz's worst episode to date and I hope his writing never dips this low again.
also it's even more sad because karl hadrika was likely a storyboard artist here and his work is godly otherwise

Edited by RDSP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3