• Advertisement

231b. Ink Lemonade

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Lemonades: We love the source!
    • 4/5 Lemonades: I'll just have to scare the ink out of him!
    • 3/5 Lemonades: I can't tell what's real anymore...
    • 2/5 Lemonades: I will not!
    • 1/5 Lemonades: Yuck.

Now there are two connections people have made about this episode that I don't understand; between One Coarse Meal and between Ren and Stimpy. I've had the first one explained to me and I still don't get it and I don't understand the other comparison at all.

12 minutes ago, RDSP said:

Now there are two connections people have made about this episode that I don't understand; between One Coarse Meal and between Ren and Stimpy. I've had the first one explained to me and I still don't get it and I don't understand the other comparison at all.

1) Mr. Krabs scared Plankton in One Coarse Meal with putting a horror show. Patrtick did similar thing to Squidward with making a haunted house. And both Squidward and Plankton were emotionally broken (Squidward's didn't last as long however) by those. I think that's the only comprasion we can get to OCM and this episode. Other than that, I wouldn't say this episode tried to be like OCM. But it was still awful

2) About Ren and Stimpy conncection, that show loves to use exaggrated faces, random jokes and some gross out humor. The difference between this and SpongeBob is that, (at least in Scumpo era) it fits in Ren and Stimpy's nature and Ren and Stimpy does tell story and use some clever gags with them. New era tried to use R&S' (and also in a way Looney Tunes') success but it failed because SpongeBob isn't always a wacky and gross cartoon with so many weird faces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Master WhoBruh said:

About Ren and Stimpy conncection, that show loves to use exaggrated faces, random jokes and some gross out humor. The difference between this and SpongeBob is that, (at least in Scumpo era) it fits in Ren and Stimpy's nature and Ren and Stimpy does tell story and use some clever gags with them. New era tried to use R&S' (and also in a way Looney Tunes') success but it failed because SpongeBob isn't always a wacky and gross cartoon with so many weird faces.

Also s11 legit added more Ren and Stimpy staff.

• Like 1

this is random but the only defense of ink lemonade i’ve been reading lately is “well it’s not AS bad as the other infamous episodes” which is such a non-defense, like peoples are only capabl not comparing it to The Splinter and treating one as worse because objectively it’s more gross

it’s like there’s nothing good to discuss here and you have to draw comparisons to other bad things to stretch to make a compliment and be different from everyone else

• Like 2
  • God Himself 2

I've seen like one person say this and it wasn't under guise of defending the episode in any way, just saying that they don't find it as bad as other episodes. Look I hate the episode too but y'all need to chill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

I've seen like one person say this and it wasn't under guise of defending the episode in any way, just saying that they don't find it as bad as other episodes. Look I hate the episode too but y'all need to chill

this this this

Look, it's bad, yes, but I thought we were past the days of 2013/2014.

5 hours ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

every single person defending it on twitter has said this but yeah my observation was baseless true 

1 hour ago, Kuchipatchi⭐ said:

did you reply and then not expect a response? lol 

nah i expected a response i just didn't expect you to be combing twitter actively seeking out people who like this episode for some reason

i reiterate: chill out

ep is still bad

4 minutes ago, WumboJack Horseman said:

nah i expected a response i just didn't expect you to be combing twitter actively seeking out people who like this episode for some reason

i reiterate: chill out

ep is still bad

but that was the basis of my argument so that’s why i said it?? 

i am: completely fine over this internet scuffle 

• Like 2

you do you, I just don't understand what the value is in owning people on twitter on here. and i think ima exit this thread because nothing useful is being said

sure jan

hayden meh these posts plz

It was not a very good episode, but I think people hate on it too much. Almost like we needed a new devil after so little controversial episodes these last years. It's a shame that Mustard O' Mine got overlooked because of this episode. That one truly has some hidden gold in it, and reverses all the bad that is done in this episode, in my opinion.

Um....the visual of Patrick running up the staircase in his head is nice? All I got, rest depends if you like the attempts at humor or despise them.

The biggest flaw in the twitter community is them thinking we just rag on Ink and have no other opinions, they can have their fun overpraising two decent at best seasons in 10 and 11 all they want or find Ink not bottom 5 worthy but some of them are crazily shortsighted. I legit don't love s10/11 and find Ink that bad after watching every episode, why do they think I'm trying to exaggerate that?

• Thanks 5

Episode: Ink Lemonade (S11-E231-B)

We know this episode is very offensive in terms of torture. For me, I actually laughed at this episode. I wasn't scared in that episode just because of the spider and the ending. I'm not even kidding. Here's my score...

Final Score = 9/10

• God Himself 4

This episode is just plain awful. It's basically everything bad about SpongeBob episodes all wrapped up into one slimy package. Gross-out with the snot ink, Squidward torture with Patrick constantly scaring him into getting his ink, as well as the ending where Squidward's attempt to sell his ink fails, Patrick being a prick with him harming Squidward to serve his own purposes, topped all off with an annoying repetitive gag of Squidward squirting ink every time he gets scared. Thing is, all these things on their own wouldn't make the episode stand out, as there are plenty of bad episodes that share these traits. It's having all these traits COMBINED that really helps cement this episode as one big massive stinker, as well as the fact that it's coming off a spongebob era that has been quite great (as even the other bad episodes of the era really aren't THAT bad).

Not much else to say. This episode is at least my 3rd most hated one, and it's a shame that we essentially got one last bitter dose of seasons 6-8 ?

• Like 1

How to make a bad post

On 5/10/2018 at 2:38 PM, Krieg the Psycho said:

Omg guys this was the BEST Spongebob episode ever! Even better than OCM or even APFG. The parts where Patrick was scaring Squidward for the ink were hilarious XD And the part where Squidward spit out spiders at the end was amazing 

Final rating: 1000/10

On 5/10/2018 at 3:02 PM, Cream said:

Wow, people actually hate this episode? I'm amazed. Seriously, Squidward deserved every ounce of torture he received from Patrick, fuck him. Also, Squidward squirting ink from his nose turned me the fuck on. I had a mad orgasm throughout, and those spiders he spit out at the end....... Goddamn.........

I fucking loved this episode, much better than any episode from Season 6 or 7. 10/10.

How to make a good post

On 6/9/2018 at 6:45 AM, SpongeBronyPH said:

Episode: Ink Lemonade (S11-E231-B)

We know this episode is very offensive in terms of torture. For me, I actually laughed at this episode. I wasn't scared in that episode just because of the spider and the ending. I'm not even kidding. Here's my score...

Final Score = 9/10

Edited by Honest Slug
  • Like 2
  • Happy 1
  • Thanks 1

Originally written: May 13th, 2018

Well, here we are. The first Post-Prequel Squid Abuse episode.

Oh boy, a majority of the fandom (At least the chunk of it present on this site) consider Ink Lemonade as the worst episode of Season 11. Some even dare to call it one of the worst episodes of the series. Well...aw man, this is gonna kill me...it wasn't that bad. Ink Lemonade is certainly no good episode, heck if it was it wouldn't be trashed more than Sportz? and The Clam Whisperer combined. But it's my job to rate an episode honestly, and here's my honest take on it.

So let's talk about the episode's plot. The concept of Ink Lemonade alone is kind of nifty (Sheesh, way to feel like an old geezer), the aspect of Squidward's ability to ink is an interesting nautical idea to delve into. I mean, we've seen the more nautical side of the characters explored before, SpongeBob’s absorption, Patrick’s regeneration, Krabs’ shell, Plankton’s size, so it really makes perfect sense to develop an episode centering around Squidward’s ability to ink. The only problem is, Kaz took this idea of making an episode revolving around the inking of a Squid/Octopus, and made it into one of laziest crafted stories of recent time. While yes, Ink Lemonade’s story line isn’t as ridiculous as Pat the Horse, nor is it as lame or uneventful as Old Man Patrick and Sanitation Insanity, Ink Lemonade has an overall well conceived premise, but has a severely mishandled execution.

I don’t personally don’t care for the constant gags of Squidward getting the literal ink spewed out of him, but I can’t deny there are some fairly amusing visual gags throughout the episode. If there’s one major pro with this episode, it’d have to be that this is an episode far from boring. Whether an episode is really good or really bad, I usually enjoy watching it more than watching a severely boring episode (Fun-Sized Friends or Drive Happy, anyone?). It’s hard to say it but, this episode actually has quite a handful of funny little visual gags. The fact that Patrick built a giant tent around Squidwards house to spook him, I found the slightly twisted interior of that tent to be fairly amusing, and there are even some pretty funny facial expressions among those who have consumed the Ink (Particularly SpongeBob). Overall, this episode isn’t half-bad with humor. Is Patrick’s motivations warranted? Eh…kind of…

Look, Pat’s torment at the very least is out of a desire to sell more lemonade. Goodness, this story was handled way better in Jellyfish Hunter. While yes, Patrick is indeed being insufferable to Squidward, I’d much rather have a relatively reasonable excuse for Patrick’s actions, rather than have him act just out of pure ignorance (Most notably in such episodes as Restraining Sponge, Pet Sitter Pat, even as recently as Sanitation Insanity). It’s just insufferable when Patrick acts out of pure stupidity, and that’s absent in this episode, yes he’s a fool for using Squidward for personal gain, but I just don’t see that much of a fuss over how this episode handles this improper motivation. Yes, Patrick was out of line for doing such a thing, but the abusive gags aren’t nearly as painful as all the other havoc Squid’s gone through before. Heck, these gags are a walk in the park compared to…

imageforums.php?img=kv288Mj0oKsBIy8bSKUi

imageforums.php?img=kwb3Wx8Qhhfeu8bAnG1R

imageforums.php?img=uaIfSpoRmdpCma4yVCZs

imageforums.php?img=7kBSHpJikNOquH%2B4T%

imageforums.php?img=KfDyIZ55WEqG%2BAdFb%

imageforums.php?img=Kf90AazYK%2BflpwQPjy

I won’t deny a good majority of these gags are your standard, forgettable, cheap Season 11 visuals (This time with the slapstick kicked up a notch). I don’t know, but the burning hatred for this episode just isn’t in me. Fun-Sized Friends, oooh, that episode is terrible, The Clam Whisperer, awful, awful episode, Old Man Patrick, so, so boring, but this? Yeah, it’s not a good episode, but it’s certainly not a boring one, nor an entirely unfunny one.

How was this episode’s plot executed poorly, what exactly makes this a bad episode? Well, for one this story was already done in Jellyfish Hunter, Squidward is unnecessarily harmed for the sake of laughs, the ending was just a bad way to finish the episode, and Patrick had zero comeuppance. But what keeps this from being Clam Whisperer-level bad? Well, the characters aren’t that annoying. Patrick is obviously made out to be an anti-hero, he’s stooping very low for the sake of making a profit, but he’s not entirely annoying. Yes, he’s quite annoying at the start of the episode, but Kaz seemed to really reel him in once the plot really got moving along. Squidward doesn’t seemed as phased as you’d imagine towards the ending, heck, he’s willingto sell his ink. And I think that’s what differs this episode from your standard Squid abuse episode, yes none of this is Squidward’s fault, but Squidward this time seemed accepting of the unnecessary torment towards the ending, and yes the ending played up a cheap laugh with the unfunny vomit gag, but Squid’s odd acceptance (Kind of out of character, if you ask me), just mellowed out the ending from being your standard insult onto injury.

That being said, I honestly just consider Ink Lemonade to be a lower than average episode. It’s not fully obnoxious to really get on my nerves, it’s just a standard Season 11 episode that’s a little worse than most episodes are. I don’t know, maybe I’ll get riled up once I read into other people’s opinions, but this episode is nowhere near being the worst of the series (I’ve got a good chunk of Seasons 6-8 that can take up that argument), nor do I consider it the worst in this Season (Like The Horrendous Clam Whisperer, the Terrible Cave Dwelling Sponge, the Awful Fun-Sized Friends, and the Intensely Boring Old Man Patrick). It’s a Bad Episode, I give it a 4.2/10

This episode really makes me question the production for Season 11.

Like, was Kaz high the day he had to make this? A lot of Season 11s episodes don't make sense on their general quality when comparing it to the episode that comes before it and after it. Using this episode as an example, the previous episode that Kaz wrote was High Sea Diving, and while that was not the best episode ever, it was well written and nicely done. But I question the production on this episode when the VERY next ep, written by Kaz, Mustard O Mine, manages to write Patrick properly and in general be well written. I'm not saying it is a master piece, but for the Seasons standard, it's pretty standard fare (wether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing, doesn't really matter for the argument). When you compare Ink Lemonade and Mustard O Mine, it's like a night and day difference in the execution. Both utilize the trio, but Mustard O Mine's use of the Sponge-Pat-Squid dynamic feels much more refined. They act fine, nothing really out of character happens, everything feels natural. Which makes it really confusing when the episode before makes Patrick a literal sadist by trying to scare Squidward for his ink, with Spongebob being oblivious to everything. Also comparing tones, Mustard O Mine and High Sea Diving feel much more relaxed, while Ink uses the extreme cartooniness and noise that post sequel is commonly criticised for.

Someone will probably say "well hippy, writers being hit or miss isn't a new thing", and to that I would agree with you. But Kaz isn't the only one with hit or miss scripts. When looking at Goodman's scripts side by side, Stuck on the Roof feels incredibly rushed and lazily written, relying on great visuals to carry the episode, yet Goodman's next episode that he writes, Squid Noir, is beautifully written, and feels a lot of general quality and care is put into it. I could name more, I won't, but seriously look at the writers episodes (in production order) side by side, and it sometimes feels unreal that the writer could have written those 2 episodes in close proximity. The only writers who so far have been consistent in writing quality (won't count Zeus since he only wrote 1 ep so far) are Brookishier and Goodman, and they have only written 4 and 6 eps respectivly, and even then they have their slip ups. I don't know how much that counts, considering how small their episode load is, but yeah.

Heck, Kaz was doing fine in the beginning of the Season. His episodes from Spin the Bottle to Creature Feature were fine, yet he seemed to lose the plot starting from Pat the Horse, writing Patrick more stupider, when he wasn't at the beginning of the Season. How far were these eps made from one another? This goes for all writers too. I use Kaz as an example for most of this, since he has been the most hit or miss writer of Season 11. I question how long apart were High Sea Diving, Ink Lemonade and Mustard O Mine were created, or generally the whole Season. Do some episodes have more time and effort put into them compared to others? I mean, there are 50 episodes that the crew had to make this Season, so i wouldn't say it is to big of a stretch to say some eps had more care put into them, but I still find it an interesting subject regardless. I mean, Chefbob is a recent good Kaz episode, and Krusty Kleaners wasn't bad, so maybe he is improving? It doesn't give me much hope though, especially when most of the episodes that are upcoming are written by him, including 2 specials, so it's more of a "wait and see" at this point.

TL DR The Family Guy movie and Dora the Explorer by Micheal Bay should do a crossover TV movie where Peter, Chris, and live action exploding Dora (cause Micheal Bay) get married in Rhode Island CAUE LIBTARDS ARE FUNNY!!!

SUStenance

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, hippythehippo said:

This episode really makes me question the production for Season 11.

Like, was Kaz high the day he had to make this? A lot of Season 11s episodes don't make sense on their general quality when comparing it to the episode that comes before it and after it. Using this episode as an example, the previous episode that Kaz wrote was High Sea Diving, and while that was not the best episode ever, it was well written and nicely done. But I question the production on this episode when the VERY next ep, written by Kaz, Mustard O Mine, manages to write Patrick properly and in general be well written. I'm not saying it is a master piece, but for the Seasons standard, it's pretty standard fare (wether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing, doesn't really matter for the argument). When you compare Ink Lemonade and Mustard O Mine, it's like a night and day difference in the execution. Both utilize the trio, but Mustard O Mine's use of the Sponge-Pat-Squid dynamic feels much more refined. They act fine, nothing really out of character happens, everything feels natural. Which makes it really confusing when the episode before makes Patrick a literal sadist by trying to scare Squidward for his ink, with Spongebob being oblivious to everything. Also comparing tones, Mustard O Mine and High Sea Diving feel much more relaxed, while Ink uses the extreme cartooniness and noise that post sequel is commonly criticised for.

Someone will probably say "well hippy, writers being hit or miss isn't a new thing", and to that I would agree with you. But Kaz isn't the only one with hit or miss scripts. When looking at Goodman's scripts side by side, Stuck on the Roof feels incredibly rushed and lazily written, relying on great visuals to carry the episode, yet Goodman's next episode that he writes, Squid Noir, is beautifully written, and feels a lot of general quality and care is put into it. I could name more, I won't, but seriously look at the writers episodes (in production order) side by side, and it sometimes feels unreal that the writer could have written those 2 episodes in close proximity. The only writers who so far have been consistent in writing quality (won't count Zeus since he only wrote 1 ep so far) are Brookishier and Goodman, and they have only written 4 and 6 eps respectivly, and even then they have their slip ups. I don't know how much that counts, considering how small their episode load is, but yeah.

Heck, Kaz was doing fine in the beginning of the Season. His episodes from Spin the Bottle to Creature Feature were fine, yet he seemed to lose the plot starting from Pat the Horse, writing Patrick more stupider, when he wasn't at the beginning of the Season. How far were these eps made from one another? This goes for all writers too. I use Kaz as an example for most of this, since he has been the most hit or miss writer of Season 11. I question how long apart were High Sea Diving, Ink Lemonade and Mustard O Mine were created, or generally the whole Season. Do some episodes have more time and effort put into them compared to others? I mean, there are 50 episodes that the crew had to make this Season, so i wouldn't say it is to big of a stretch to say some eps had more care put into them, but I still find it an interesting subject regardless. I mean, Chefbob is a recent good Kaz episode, and Krusty Kleaners wasn't bad, so maybe he is improving? It doesn't give me much hope though, especially when most of the episodes that are upcoming are written by him, including 2 specials, so it's more of a "wait and see" at this point.

TL DR The Family Guy movie and Dora the Explorer by Micheal Bay should do a crossover TV movie where Peter, Chris, and live action exploding Dora (cause Micheal Bay) get married in Rhode Island CAUE LIBTARDS ARE FUNNY!!!

SUStenance

Honestly, this

I just don't get how current crew can slip-up like that, they clearly can make a good show on the regular basis

It's not like season 7 or 8 where people clearly lacked any passion for what they doing