• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

All 4 of these episodes made my list.

Smoothe Jazz is horrible and one of the most obnoxious and stupid episodes. It's so hard to sit through.

The Clash of Triton is one of the worst constructed episodes I've seen. Like how can you screw this up this badly?

Squid Baby is juvenile and downright offensive.

SpongeBob, You're Fired has no artistic merit at all. Although if you're aware of the background fish meme on SBM you might know why I can't take this ep too seriously atm.

Spoiler

1. Truth or Square (#17)

2. Sportz? (#30)

3. SpongeBob, You're Fired (#5)

4. Atlantis SqaurePantis (#36)

6. Boating Buddies (#21)

7. Squid Baby (#6)

8. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (#8)

9. Pet or Pests (#11)

10. Squidward's School for Grown Ups (#39)

11. Choir Boys (#12)

12. Slide Whistle Stooges (#13)

13. Are You Happy Now? (#32)

20. The Clash of Triton (#7)

21. Gone (#35)

25. Rodeo Daze (#20)

• Like 1

Calling the conclusion of Squid Baby as a shitty moral doesn't make sense to me but fair enough. Nevertheless, this episode did make it to my list. What an absolute garbage attempt to portray mental illness and all of the gags, except for my leg were so annoying and disturbing. I liked seeing SpongeBob and Patrick sort of caring but that wasn't an excuse for him getting hit by head million times. Mr. Krabs was such a shitty boss that didn't care about Squidward's condition. And dear lord, A FULL DIAPER JOKE? WHY??? This episode definitely deserves to be this high on the list.

The funny thing is that in Karate Choppers, being fired lasted for like 30 seconds but Squid on Strike still happened and that episode did the plot way better than this. It was definitely writers not giving a crap about this episode at all. They all just stole bunch of plotlines from previous episodes.

Spoiler

- Can You Spare a Dime

- Squid on Strike

- Bummer Vacation

- Le Big Switch

- Krusty Dogs

- the title is taken from "Mrs. Puff, You're Fired"

I would get it If Nick forced them another special BUT LEGIT TRY SOMETHING INTERESTING. Give us a better reason for SpongeBob being fired, make Snail food factory or something happen. Not 22 minutes of nothing important happenning. There were so many bad characterizations here. Crying and depressed SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs' nonsensical greed (seriously asshole, that frycook of yours give you a shit ton of money and you got spooked by a dime and you fire him for is, as a result you lost your money. what a shitface!), Squidward's mean-spirited moment with him prefering SpongeBob over burned patties and SANDY EXPERIMENTING SHIT ON PEOPLE! If I was SpongeBob, I'd never work in Krusty Krab, heck I'd start my own fast food restaurant that would put him out of business.

This was modern Fairly OddParents level of bad where bunch of ripped off plotlines are mixed in a meaningless episode with stupid gags and bad character writing. Fuck this special, even The Clash of Triton worked harder than this.

top 4 is so damn obvious now but at this point it doesn't matter since all those four deserve to be hated by this fandom.

• Like 2
  • Happy 1

Squid Baby: THERE I AM AGAIN, GARY, LOOK!

Spongebob, You're Fired: But at least one of the redeem-abilities in SpongeBob, You're Fired was the vast majority of the show's background characters appearing in the audience, meaning we can see so many classic character designs in HD. (Although I may be just exaggerating and i'm not sure if that was meant to be a joke) and how Mr. Weiner appeared physically in the audience as a gag

Episodes on my bottom 50 to show up so far:

50: SpongeBob, You're Fired

49: Whatever Happened to Spongebob

48: The Play's the Thing

47: ???

46: ???

45: ???

44: ???

43: Face Freeze

42: ???

41: Plankton's Regular

40: Squid's Visit

39: Pet Sitter Pat

38: ???

37: ???

36: ???

35: ???

34: Sportz?

33: ???

32: ???

31: ???

30: Good Neighbors

29: Clash of Trition

28: The Thing

27: Fungus Among Us

26: ???

25: ???

24: Sun Bleached

23: Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy

22: Boating Buddies

21: ???

20: Choir Boys

19: Slide Whistle Stooges  

18: ???

17: Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

16: ???

15: ???

14: Summer Job

13: To Love a Patty

12: ???

11: The Splinter

10: Cephalopod Lodge

9: Trenchbillies

8: Shuffleboarding

7: ???

6: Big Sister Sam

5: Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom

4: Yours, Mine, & Mine

3: ???

2: Pet or Pests

1: Squid Baby 

(I moved one episode further down since this started, so this list I'm using here is different than the one I submitted)

• Thanks 1

Squid Baby: OH MY GOD HOW THE HELL DID I FORGET ABOUT THIS EPISODE WHEN MAKING MY LIST
Well, anyways, yeah. I somehow forgot about this atrocity when making my worst list. This episode alone made me hate Season 9(a) as a while 5 years back and I haven't really watched it since but from what I remember, it SUCKED. I don't plan on returning to it in the near future.

Spongebob You're Fired: AGAIN HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS EPISODE'S EXISTENCE WHEN I WAS mAKING MY LIST
...yeah, as I said last time, I sort of threw my list together at the last second so this one somehow didn't make the cut. Holy crap does this episode bore me. Screw Professor Squidward, THIS RIGHT HERE is the most boring of the show. This is perhaps one of the worst specials to come from the show.

also there's likely going to be an episode in this list pretty soon that, while bad, i may or may not prefer to watch that one over these loads of shit

• Like 1
  • God Himself 1

Squid Baby: This made on my list at #11. That wasn't horriblle, but I felt this can be forgotton to me. Squidward getting hit by mailbox causing him to act like a baby (...yeah). I'm sorry, how does it even gonna work? it's yet another "Squidward abuse" episode..blah blah blah...can we just skip this? like there's no poiint to waste of time making a dull & boring plot to me. Overall, a weak episode.

SB: You're Fired: ...oh boy where do i begin with

This is just awful episode, like we have seen this plot many times the "SB get fired" premise as in half hour special. so what? there's already been there, done that plot such as Karate Choppers", "Welcome to Chum Bucket", "Squid on Strike" and "Can you Spare a Dime?".

This however, it just full of crap. SB got fired because Cheapkrabs wanted to save a nickel? A FUCKING NICKEL?! REALLY? My god, that's DUMBEST excuse I've ever heard. and Nick HEAVILY promoted to get a HUGE rating trap for this? Holy shit.

I think Nick needs a lesson to nerver forced the write to make something stupid premise, but at least try something creatively unlike the trash special *coughWhoBobWhatPantscough*.

Overall, another wasted special just to hype it up for stupid shit.

• Like 1

Squid Baby made it to #2 on my list. Such an odd concept for an episode idea, and a very painful one to sit through. I can't list one good thing about it. It's just unbearable and disgusting.

SpongeBob, You're Fired is my second least favorite special (it made my #11 spot). It's super forgettable and feels useless, since it's obvious he was going to get rehired again, and nothing was funny or interesting. I thought maybe we'd get something interesting when Squidward saved SpongeBob from all those restuarant workers, but no, he just hated the smell lf burning Krabby Patties more than SpongeBob. What a dumb reason and a wasted oppurtunity for a good moment between SpongeBob and Squidward. I don't know why I said years ago Season 9A was good. Looking back, it really wasn't. Lots of snoozefests like this one.

• Thanks 2

"Squid Baby" made my list at #14, and I REALLY don't like it, at ALL! :rolleyes: A lot of what other people are saying, getting hurt, gross jokes and other stuff like that, are all valid points as to why this episode DESERVED to make this list! And I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to hate "Spongebob, You're Fired!" It wasn't on my list, but I can understand why other people would hate it. Only four episodes to go, I wonder which ones they will be? Enough said for now! ;)

• Thanks 1

4. Ink Lemonade

IVEh4rZ.png?1

232 points. 13 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: 2 #1's - @WumboJack Horseman & @jjsthekid

Summary:

Spoiler

Patrick can be seen outside with a lemonade stand, yelling "Lemonade!" so he can get customers. Squidward comes outside to find Patrick with no customers, because his jugs are just water. Squidward decides to give Patrick old, rotten lemons, which causes his first customer to get sick. Eventually, Patrick decides to replace the lemons with the contents of a toy firetruck, however SpongeBob joins in with Patrick and yells in a megaphone, scaring Squidward and spraying ink out of his nose. Patrick finds this liquid and SpongeBob decides to drink it. SpongeBob gets sick at first but eventually finds it delicious. As customers starts to line up for black lemonade, Patrick has to get more.

Squidward doesn't want to give anymore ink to Patrick, so Patrick resorts to scaring Squidward, including revealing his inner organs and letting a sea spider named Mildred enter Squidward's house. Squidward sprays a lot of ink out of his nose and Patrick gives the black lemonade to the stand.

Squidward, now paranoid thanks to all of the plans Patrick has done, starts to act crazy. Patrick's final plan is to make a haunted area in front of Squidward's house, causing the now paranoid Squidward to spray lots of ink. Eventually, he runs out of the haunted zone and finds out that SpongeBob and Patrick was using his ink to sell lemonade the whole time. Squidward starts to get upset at Patrick and SpongeBob, however he comes up with a plan - opening his own lemonade stand for himself.

Unfortunately, Squidward is unable to make more lemonade, so he chooses to have a customer scare him in order to get lemonade. Don the Whale does, and Squidward sprays ink like crazy over the customers. Eventually the customers finds out the "source" and pukes in Squidward's house. SpongeBob and Patrick also moved out of the lemonade business to sell cookies. As Squidward eats one of them, SpongeBob and Patrick says they used spider eggs as chips, resulting in Squidward screaming out spiders and spraying ink as the episode ends.

Jjs: OH BOY. For those unaware, this episode premiered the day of the deadline. So many people hated this that they had to redo their lists last minute...mine included. A newer episode premiering when the lists are being gathered is unprecedented, and a unique first in the history of these countdowns. Needless to say, this horrific episode's out of nowhere appearance changed a lot, more than you think. Originally for my commentary, I was just going to link to the episode thread and end my commentary right there, making you guys really mad. But I cannot hold back how much I hate this episode, and what a giant step back for the series Ink Lemonade is to me. In my opinion, this episode represents every single problem people have had with both post-movie eras. At first, this wasn't my #1 at all (I'll elaborate after the countdown is over if anyone is curious), but everything about this episode pissed me off so much that it had to be my #1. It's every single problem I've had with both post-movie eras in one unfunny, yikes package. Nasty gross out (I'm not even bugged by it but man it got ridiculous here), a pretty bad plot, Patrick being unlikeable, SpongeBob being oblivious,  Ren & Stimpy cartoony hyperness to the extreme (which I'm tired of), trying to take inspiration from One Coarse Meal in 2018 which isn't a very good idea...yeah, what a mess. For bad episodes from other seasons, you could make the argument that they still felt like they were from their season, if that makes sense. Ink Lemonade doesn't even feel like it's from Season 11 at all, it legitimately feels like we time traveled back to Season 6, but I personally find this worse than most hated S6 episodes, because they at least tried to have plots. I'm not a fan of Season 11's direction as a whole, but nothing has been as awful as this thus far. I could keep going, but I already wrote a giant rant in the episode topic as have several others. While a new episode like this jumping all the way to #4 out of the blue is a shocker, this episode deserves it. I will say this: If you don't actively watch every new episode anymore, or are going in with zero expectations given the hate it gets, then Ink Lemonade may not seem that bad. But unfortunately, if you're me...then yeah. Don't know if this will stay my #1 forever, but it'd take quite the effort for Season 11 to make an episode worse than this.

WhoBob: hohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoho

I saved the big deal for the last. Yes, I've talked about it on episode discussion topic, heck, I can actually give a link to the whole topic because many made solid arguments that could easily be copy pasted into a commentary. But I have never made a full review of it because I have been waiting to diss this for a long time. And I got the chance to shine!!! Ladies and gentlefish,

INK LEMONADE!!!

An episode that proved us that we can always go back to dark ages of SpongeBob in a short limited time lol. Hopefully it's temporary though... I was not expecting that people would change their lists this quickly when there was one day left for this event to be started. It was that amazing I even became too curious to watch this, so I could have my thoughts on it but sadly, I couldn't find a link in the right time before the deadline was done. So it didn't make it to my list. I watched it after that, thanks to OWM and holy fucksicles, nobody was kidding that this was a new low that can easily rival with the most hated episodes of this show. I'm sure If I watched it just in time, this episode would be in number #3 in this list. I'm just gonna say this quickly. Squidward did nothing wrong!!! HE WAS RIGHT!!! He has always been right and he's the hero we don't deserve. And Patrick is villain of this show that he no longer deserves the love he gets. What went wrong in this episode? Why do we hate Patrick this much, while we want best for our Squiddy? Lets find out! Note that there'll be some criticisms over crew here.

The premise was actually not that bad, If you exclude the ink aspect of it. This episode could have worked If Patrick was upset by Squidward's mean attitiude and Patrick found out an ingridient that made his lemonade more delicious and that totally doesn't belong to Squidward, so Patrick used it to be successful for once in his life and Squidward wanted to take away that glory, thus setting up some a competition between Patrick and Squidward with both having lemonade stands and Squidward losing it. See right there? I can come up with a better storyline for this than that. Literally anyone who has respect and love for these characters than this. What did I do exactly? Make Patrick the protagonist and Squidward the antagonist for proper motivations. It's that easy but we decided to go in the same old same old direction. Patrick discovered Squidward's ink is delicious, so he decided to scare Squidward to make profit from it. Alright, first off, where the hell is Patrick's motivation to actually ruin Squidward's day for some quick buck? His entire storyline here made no sense and it gave me more Mr. Krabs vibes than Patrick. Vincent Waller, the showronner of this show, said this was in character and you could make an argument that adding a new thing to the character isn't out of character. That's up to you to decide. However, that doesn't make the character loveable. Patrick in the entire episode was one big asshole who wanted to take advantage from someone for his own good or he was just oblivious to the fact that he was hurting Squidward. Neither is justified and that gives me plenty of reasons to hate this character, rather than actually root for him because he's supposed to be the protagonist of this episode!

What happened to Patrick who wasn't a 100% moron, actually made cleverly stupid lines and was "a loveable loser". May I remind you why episodes like Big Pink Loser oe Valentine's Day are considered as some of the finest of this show? Because Patrick was all of those I mentioned and it worked because they made more jokes with him than him acting braindead or a jerk. Speaking of jerkiness, Im so done with stupid jerkass characters that damage people around him rather than be funny. I hate it because we get two of the worst characterizations if they go overboard. Look at motherfucking Peter Griffin. And now it's Patrick. I don't mind jerk Patrick if it's used as one gag, not as a plot with no justification. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy 3 and Life of Crime had good jerk Patrick moments because those were minimal and funny. Okay, here's another episode called Rule of Dumb which was Patrick being a jerk but it made sense because he believed "power = anything you can want" and he actually admitted his faults.  Even that episode has its haters because it's another episode based on a jerk/stupid character. Patrick became my least favorite character of this show because of episodes like this, Big Sister Sam, Yours Mine and Mine, Stuck in a Wringer, Pet Sitter Pat and plenty more. He just can't carry his own episode because he's not that interesting or funny anymore and he works best with limitation. Or writers just love to use him as a jackass who can do anything he wants and never gets karma over it At least other characters of the show have different characterizations to them that make them interesting, despite being crappy characters from time to time but Patrick is your average stupid comic relief. He's often one dimensional and two dimensional at best, at least post-season 5. I've said enough why Patrick no longer deserves his popularity and lets skip to the character who deserves more love than he gets on the show.

Squidward who didn't deserve any of the shitty treatment by that big stupid shitface. Make arguments of Squidward being mean to Patrick for one second or him treating the costumers badly because Patrick was profiting from his ink all you want. Nobody should go into same place as him. It's a cartoon and all blah blah blah. You can not always use that card to justify shit. I don't like when a character gets cruelity for sake of it with no justification whatsoever. It's meant to be mindless entertainment but people do have a right to criticize it. Squşidward was fucking right that Patrick shouldn't have treated him badly because of somne money and he was right he should get the whole credit for that ink. Poor him because all he got was haunted houses he didn't want to be part of and spider eggs as cookies without knowing it. haha it'a funny because Squidward always looks at the empty side of the glass. Not in this episode. Oh spare me, Patrick can make lemonade without actual lemonade. There are actual episodes that are not far behind that used Squidward as antagonist and did it right. Look at Unreal Estate and Chatterbox Gary. Even in Bottle Burglars, he made a mistake and deserved karma from it. Look at here and give me a jusitifcation why Squidward should get torment from Patrick. And what he got was just upsettinh and disturbing. Is it just because it was just meant to be a humor? We are headed there now.

Humor was absolutely garbage if that's the justification. I don't accept if this show is supposed to be comedic. In every comedic tv show or a movie or a play or a short, story matters people! This isn't some random sketch show. SpongeBob isn't this. We tuned in for this show because we had likeable characters and creative storylines. ACTUAL CLEVER JOKES THAT ARE QUOTED TO THIS DAY. If comedy is all people wanted, what's the actual humor of this episode? Loud microphones? Lazy, annoying and unfunny. Squidward inks all over the place, especially costumers? Repulsive, cruel and gross, spider-eggs? More gross out humor!!! I thought we were past season 6-7 gross out humor. The crew loves to make callbacks to other episodes but barely they reconsider what made the episodes in makes a past episode shitty or good in the first place. If you wanna include continuity to the show, then care more thought into it. The humor here was just sugar rush slapstick that ended up being loud, gross and unfunny. SpongeBob isn't Ren and Stimpy or Looney Tunes! The show did use slapstick before but it had clever dialogue humor to balance it out. Plus barely they were loud or gross. We are in season 11 and we still haven't learned from that gross out and mean-spiritness don't work for a show that is supposed to be optimistic, smart, creative and for all ages. Adults watch this show for clever dialogue humor and surprisingly good twists. But I don't see it here. The humor was just repetitive and dumb.

There's a reason why this episode was panned from both Spongebob forums, twitter, youtube, wiki and more places. Because it just sucked. Don't say you guys knew this episode was going to be controversial, yet say that it'll be loved more as the time goes. Because I sure know episodes mentioned in this list aren't hated as much anymore. Even harmless (imo) Best Day Ever is still hated. Slapstick doesn't always work, gross out makes people turn off the channel, cruelty makes people feel bad for the victimized character of the story. And worst of all, this is written by Kaz who gave us some of the best episodes of this show before. This criticism doesn't mean to be mean to him, heck comments of people saying he should be fired for this are legit stupid. I'm sure Kaz is a nice person but imo ever since season 10, I have been getting tired of his episodes and I have been tired of the new style of this show, being all loud, wacky and slapstick. I think it's best he should get lesser episodes and we actually include more new talented writers to this show.

Please listen to this criticism if you read this. I don't think the show is bad, I still love it to death and we still get some greatness from it these days but I want it to be consistent and more thought out. Not just good stuff with badness in it. People weren't joking when they said this combined worst aspects of season 4-9a and season 9b-11. And I actually agree with them. I just wanna pretend this was just a misfire of this new era and I hope whatever comes next won't go into same hole as this one did.

Or we all can just say "SQUIDWARD WAS RIGHT!!!" until the show ends. To end this commentary, here's a Cyclops moment from Marvel comics because he's basically human Squidward who has been shitted on for wrong reasons and got killed off over a supposedly sacred inhuman cloud that was killing mutants he was protecting from extinction. 

blackbolt-kills-cyclops-3.jpg

SQUIDCLOPS

3. One Coarse Meal

EpmPrcE.jpg?1

256 points. 13 out of 25 lists. Highest Ranking: #1 - @Powdered Toast JCM

Summary:

Spoiler

Mr. Krabs is sleeping in his money bath, when he smells something burning. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that it smells like Plankton with his new explosives. Plankton then blows up the Krusty Krab, while his machine captures SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Then, Pearl comes to the kitchen and, being afraid of whales, Plankton runs back to the Chum Bucket in panic. Mr. Krabs asks Pearl for one of her dresses so he could disguise as her to scare Plankton.

Plankton tells Karen about his fear of whales and she tells him there are no whales in the Chum Bucket. Then, Mr. Krabs, disguised as Pearl, scares Plankton. He enters in the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs appears saying that he wants the meat of Plankton. This goes on for 2 nonstop weeks. Plankton then runs away and has nightmares about Pearl eating him and his cousins.

Plankton appears in the road, attempting suicide by being run over, but SpongeBob talks him out of it and whispers to Plankton about Mr. Krabs' worst fear and tells Plankton that it is Mr. Krabs disguised as Pearl. Plankton decides to torment Mr. Krabs with a mime. Later, SpongeBob scares Plankton away with holographic whales to keep him from getting the formula. SpongeBob then releases Mr. Krabs and the mime continues to torment him, but considering Mr. Krabs' change in attitude towards the clown after Plankton fled, it is implied that Mr. Krabs was not afraid of the clown at all (and his fear earlier was a façade).

Jjs: I'll be honest. I don't really dislike this one much anymore, but the hate it gets is totally justified if you're not a fan of how Krabs acts. To be honest, I find the first four minutes or so to be alright. Plankton's attempted robbery was amusing and well animated. For me, in my own personal taste, an episode has to be utterly garbage the entire 11 minutes to make my list. I respect that doesn't work for everyone though. Also, I don't even find the Plankton road scene that bad, and I really doubt they intended to paint it the way others see it. The biggest problems are the episode just isn't very funny, and it's very confused who we're supposed to even root for. But at the end of the day, everyone has said what's wrong with the episode, and I have nothing else new to bring to the table. I've grown more apathetic to this one as the years go by, maybe I just grew tired of hearing about it. While the rest is not very good at all, the first four minutes helped keep it off my list, I'll admit.

JCM: There have been many poorly written, mean-spirited, and just plain bad episodes of SpongeBob released over its nearly 20 year history, but the one that takes the cake in all three respects is One Coarse Meal. My opinions on many episodes have shifted since I originally viewed them, but I hate OCM just as much now as I did when I originally watched it, perhaps more now. I could honestly write an essay on everything One Course Meal does wrong, and I have, several times, but essentially, the episode's treatment of Plankton and lack of any real retribution to Mr. Krabs for his antics, probably the most unlikable he's been outside of The Cent of Money, makes it one of the more cringeworthy episodes, and the ending, which teases retribution for Krabs but instead turns it around on Plankton again, makes me hate it all the more. If there's any positive I can get from the episode, it's that it at least acknowledges that what Krabs did is wrong, but it also makes the episode's seeming refusal to punish him for it even worse. As I've said before, One Coarse Meal is one coarse episode of SpongeBob, and it's a low I hope the show never hits again.

Honest Slug: This was the one that did it. Episodes like Dear Vikings, The Splinter, Atlantis and To Love a Patty were hated, but this was the one that (once it was discovered) caused an explosion of hate, vitriol and toxicity. Was this hate warranted? Well that's complicated. Obviously the hate that the writers received was horrible, but the episode is nothing worth defending. One Coarse Meal made my list. In the middle of it to be precise. While it isn't the most annoying, boring or even unfunny episode, it's one of the most clear-cut examples of terrible writing and terrible characterization in the series. The beginning of the episode is actually pretty fun to be honest. Considering how generic and stale Plankton's plans were in season 7 this was a nice, fast-paced change, it feels like a prototype for the amazing opening battle in Sponge out of Water. However this is the only beat the episode gets right, the moment Krabs discovers Plankton's fear of whales the episode rapidly go downhill.

There were many signs in seasons 6-8 that the writers really didn't care much any more. Things that were obvious like Sandy's name, that SpongeBob doesn't have a driver's license and the fact that worms are dogs were all things that were just thrown into the "Ehh, whatever" pile. This feels very reminiscent of the later episodes of the FOP where they just totally went Eehh, whatever" with the rules. It speaks volumes about how much care is put into a show. However at least these were just small moments, the entire plot of One Coarse Meal hinges around the idea that whales eat plankton. Yes, that happens in real-life, but that's not what the show's universe is like. Remember the shark and sea monster gags in the much better episode SpongeGuard on Duty? At first I was thinking that this was just a biological fear Plankton had, but the episode turns around with a dumb joke about how Pearl doesn't like to eat plankton, pretty much confirming that eating plankton is a thing that whales still do. 

The middle of this episode is the most unpleasant portion of it. It boils down to Mr. Krabs stalking and scarring Plankton with no jokes to be seen. It's played very straight and you see the psychological ramifications to has on Plankton in a realistic way. Am I watching a SpongeBob episode? It was nice seeing Plankton's cousins show up but it in no way redeems this episode. The suicide scene has been talked about so much that I have nothing to say, it was probably the worst way they could've handled though lmao, seriously, where is the comedy? Then we see Mr. Krabs having way too much joy in erasing Plankton on a piece of paper, not only showing the immense pleasure he's having in his torment, when SpongeBob mentions Plankton's situation, he laughs it off. Okay, no. Mr. Krabs may be a greedy person who didn't have the greatest morality, but he would never go this far to torment someone, this is just so out of line for him. Even when he did bad things it was for a financial purpose, he's just doing this for the fun of it, it's terrible characterization.

The episode has a shining glimmer of hope when SpongeBob says that Mr. Krabs is taking things too far and tells Plankton his secret fear. Okay, this episode may have been an unfunny mess, but at least we have a clear antagonist who gets proper punishment, right? The ending is what destroys this episode, any credit I could give it just fades away. SpongeBob switches his attitude and scares Plankton one more time and saves Mr. Krabs. Mr. Krabs' line "You've redeemed yourself." just sinks this, it perfectly cements this episode's problem, redeemed him from what? The fundamental problem with this episode is that all of the things Plankton does are goofy, from tickling with a feather to mime torture. Mr. Krabs' methods are realistic and show psychological damages. You can't act like Plankton's action at the beginning made Krabs' actions justified or that Plankton's actions at the end made him deserve not to win when Krabs' actions were just so much more horrific. Having Plankton come out on top would've actually been satisfying comeuppance, It feels like the writers were thinking that we automatically should root for SpongeBob and Krabs since they're protagonists of the series and should root against Plankton since he's the antagonist of the series without thinking through their actions. And no, this is not looking too deeply into this episode. The plot is all there is, there's no humor to speak of at all. There's like 3 jokes and none of the 3 were funny. This episode could've been fixed very simply, have Krabs' scare tactics be silly like Plankton's, make the things that scare Plankton really goofy, like a grapefruit or something stupid like that, make it in a short amount of time and make the ways it affects Plankton silly and not feel like actual depression. Then Plankton's mime torture at the end would've put him on the same level as Krabs, unlike how it is in OCM atm. Then SpongeBob could stop both of them proving two wrongs don't make a right, instead of just siding with Krabs like he does in OCM. That way we have a comedic spin that actually feels like it belongs in SpongeBob while communicating the ideas that I think this episode was trying to communicate. Also please add some comedy.

While I wish people would shut up about this episode a bit, and I hate the fact that the writers are still getting so much hate over this episode, the episode itself deserves the reputation it has. While it's not the most annoying, boring, stupid or unoriginal episode. It's one of the worst examples of misunderstanding the characters the show has ever seen, and because of that it made my list.

Stay tuned for the bottom 2, which will be revealed tomorrow! It's been a great ride everyone!

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 2
  • God Himself 7

What? No link to Ink's episode discussion page? I got you covered. I might as well double down to be safe.

One Coarse Meal sucks but at least it has a cohesive narrative and a clear idea of what the characters are doing so it barely missed my list. It's nowhere near as bad as that Ink crap.

And now to reveal my list in its entirety because we all know what #1 will be.

1. SpongeBob You’re Fired (#5)

2. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (#14)

3. Ink Lemonade (#4)

4. The Clash of Triton (#7)

5. Krabby Patty Creature Feature

6. Pet Sitter Pat (#41)

7. A Pal for Gary (GOSH DARN IT)

8. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (#39)

9. Squid Baby (#6)

10. Atlantis SquarePantis (#36)

11. The Splinter (#15)

12. Summer Job (#26)

13. Rodeo Daze (#20)

14. Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom (#8)

15. Sun Bleached (#43)

16. Grooming Gary

17. Demolition Doofus (#23)

18. Waiting (#24)

19. Are You Happy Now? (#32)

20. Trenchbillies (#9)

21. Pat the Horse

22. SpongeBob's Last Stand

23. All That Glitters (#22)

24. Night Light

25. Sportz? (#30)

Edited by More
  • Thanks 1
  • God Himself 1

I don't normally talk about episodes I did commentary on but I forgot to say a few more things. As someone who still watches this show, Ink Lemonade was such a big surprise for me. When people really disliked Man Ray Returns, Fun Sized Friends, Whirlybrains, Lost and Found, Krusty Katering, Snooze You Lose, Sportz and The Fishbowl; I rather found them either mediocre/okay or just really dull. Even I might have been too harsh on The Getaway, despite representing problems of the new era. But Ink Lemonade was something I truly hated it. I didn't feel as much as others did since the hatred was overhyped for me but I stll found so much wrong that I couldn't stand almost everything it standed for. There's a reason why I added that panel of Cyclops because he had been treated as antagonist of X-Men, Avengers and Inhumans and he has always been shitted on other characters for making hard calls for mutant kind's revolution/future. Especially Beast, who is smart Patrick to me. Squidward isn't some revolutionist or a chaotic hero like Cyclops but they share similar traits of being asshole characters but neither did barely anything wrong and they got torment for no reason. Cyclops was killed off and Squidward continues to be the butt monkey for no good reason. Which is why both deserve at least some respect or write them as actual reasonable antagonists or anti-heroes. To sum it up again, these are characters of Ink Lemonade in a nutshell

One Coarse Meal will always be my fully least favorite episode, despte being at my #2. The beginning was nice, I admit that but everything else was straight up cruel and disturbing for no good reason. Again, I love dark stories in kids shows and I don't mind SpongeBob doing those but that episode forgot being comedic and it was turned into a mean-spirited festival for Plankton. Plankton is a criminal but no way he deserved that torment from Mr. Krabs. Fuck this episode and I hope it'll always be remembered as a shity episode.

Damn, now top 2's gonna be so exciting.

• Happy 1
  • Thanks 1

THERE IT IS, BROTHERS

GET INKED

I'm taking the obvious route and thinking Atlantis SquarePantis and A Pal for Gary for the last two.

• God Himself 7

2 minutes ago, Master WhoBruh said:

Atlantis is already on the list :P 

Oh wait is it? I guess I missed that post. :funny: Guess it has to be Stuck in the Wringer then.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, OWM said:

Guess it has to be Stuck in the Wringer then.

I think you mean Pranks a Lot or The Slumber Party

Wumbo isn't funny for posting that while I'm in the middle of posting the same joke :glare:

• Like 2
  • Happy 1
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, WumboJack Horseman said:

the fact that ink lemonade got thirteen last minute changes just to put it on the list deserves some kind of honorary #1 worst episode, at least

Don't forget that it'd be even higher had WhoBob, 4EverGreen, Honest Slug and etc. had the time to put it in their Top 5's. If there was just one more day for list changes it literally could've been #1.

• Like 3
  • Happy 1

as for one coarse meal

i get the hate y'all, i was there

but i'm honestly just kinda over this one, and it's kind of absurd to me that after all these years it's still this high on the countdown

• God Himself 3