• Advertisement

Pixar to finish doing sequels after 2019

JCM

http://collider.com/pixar-sequels/

If you want to celebrate Pixar for their originality, the next few years are going to be tough. With the exception of Lee Unkrich’s Coco, the studio is going all-in on sequels. They’ll be releasing Cars 3, Toy Story 4, and The Incredibles 2 in the years to come, and while sequels aren’t always inherently bad (Toy Story 2 is one of the best films to come from Pixar), it’s a bit disheartening to see such a reliance on franchises.

Pixar President Jim Morris explains to EW that this isn’t a strategy as much as a byproduct of a filmmaker-driven studio and those filmmakers had ideas for sequels. The good news is that after The Incredibles 2, Pixar has at least four original movies in the pipeline. While I love Pixar movies like Up, Ratatouille, and WALL-E, I’m okay with not delving into sequels for them. I’d rather see the next Inside Out than another Inside Out.

I just have two words: Good riddance.

• Like 1

I understand how people are more grateful of Pixar releasing new, original movies, and that some people are annyoed with the company releasing sequels in a frequent manner since a long while now, but I don't think that means their sequels aren't original in any form.

I've never really watched Cars 2, but I've been greatly impressed by the rest of the sequels Pixar have made. While I'm not against Pixar making sequels as frequently so, I'm liking how they're changing their method in favor of more original ideas.

Edited by Steel Sponge

4 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to RataTwouille, Braver, and Cars: The Third Circle of Hell 

I'm even more disappointed that we can't get a Monsters Retirement Home movie.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to RataTwouille, Braver, and Cars: The Third Circle of Hell 

IM DEAD 

This news is very good to hear. As much as I love seeing new adventures some of my favorite childhood characters, I like originality as well.

1 hour ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

Actually, Cars 3 comes out next summer. I wish I were lying.

Guest hilaryfan80
6 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

Well, a sequel for Inside Out wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I definitely agree. There's actually a lot of content that can be used for an Inside Out 2 since the original movie is based entirely on cognitive and behavioral psychology. Inside Out 2 could show the psychological processes of an adolescent going through puberty and into adulthood. I would actually love to see a sequel.

2 hours ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

I definitely agree. There's actually a lot of content that can be used for an Inside Out 2 since the original movie is based entirely on cognitive and behavioral psychology. Inside Out 2 could show the psychological processes of an adolescent going through puberty and into adulthood. I would actually love to see a sequel.

There is no story reason for them to make a sequel. Riley's character arc is complete. She came to term with her emotions and accepted that things in her life change and her move. The ending showed her adjusting to her new life too.

The cognitive/behavioral psychology are mostly just a backdrop for the story/an allegory. I think that's the most compelling thing of the film to me, how it portrays what she's going through mentally and emotionally.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

You win the CDCB Stamp of Approval.

Guest hilaryfan80
On July 3, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Teamwork said:

There is no story reason for them to make a sequel. Riley's character arc is complete. She came to term with her emotions and accepted that things in her life change and her move. The ending showed her adjusting to her new life too.

The cognitive/behavioral psychology are mostly just a backdrop for the story/an allegory. I think that's the most compelling thing of the film to me, how it portrays what she's going through mentally and emotionally.

Well, the thing is the movie is entirely based on cognitive and behavioral psychology. It's not just an "allegory." It's a depiction of the mind and how it works and processes emotions. It's very possible to have anInside Out 2, but if you're worried, the sequel could not involve Riley. Even so, Pixar announced that they're not doing anymore sequels after 2019, so it's not likely to get one.

7 hours ago, Mr. Dr. Professor Patrick said:

Well, the thing is the movie is entirely based on cognitive and behavioral psychology. It's not just an "allegory." It's a depiction of the mind and how it works and processes emotions. It's very possible to have an Inside Out 2, but if you're worried, the sequel could not involve Riley. Even so, Pixar announced that they're not doing anymore sequels after 2019, so it's not likely to get one.

I'd just let Inside Out stay one movie. Second would be so overkill for me. 

I'm really happy we are getting more original content. Still Toy Story 4 and Cars 3 seem like the low points of the company that I really hope they'll get recovered after them quickly.

12 hours ago, Dr. WhoBob said:

I'm really happy we are getting more original content. Still Toy Story 4 and Cars 3 seem like the low points of the company that I really hope they'll get recovered after them quickly.

I'm sorry, but what?  Toy Story 4 and Cars 3 seem like what?  Have you even read what they are planning to do with both of these films?  Because if anything, I'm excited for the direction they are taking with both movies.  Pixar seems to actually be focusing on making a legitimate Cars sequel based off of everything I've read up to this point.  I honestly can't wait to see it since it isn't focusing on making the comedy character the focal point and giving Lightning a bit of a redemption story focusing on the racing world passing him by.  I know Pixar will already be making a shit ton of money from merchandise alone since that's the main reason Cars became a franchise in the first place, but I'm glad they seemingly learned from their mistake with Cars 2 and are giving us a more developed plot that makes more sense in this film universe.

As for Toy Story 4, sure a romantic comedy seems like a bit of a stretch initially, but it's about Woody searching for Bo Peep.  That alone hits me right in the feels because I have always been invested in that relationship since the first Toy Story.  When they explained what happened to her in the third movie, that was the one of many moments I got teary eyed in that movie.  I legitimately want to know if they find her and Woody and Bo get reunited.  The fact that you think both movies seem like the low point for Pixar is just jumping the bullet without actually giving both movies a chance.

As for the rest of this topic, Pixar isn't going to stop doing sequels.  Nowhere in that article did it say that we won't ever get a Pixar sequel ever again after The Incredibles 2.  I actually hope we get more sequels at some point as long as the company takes the time to give each one proper development.  But I'm not going to lie when I say that I am happy to know Pixar will be focusing on creating more original content for quite some time.  Because in today's sequel heavy Hollywood, I'm always happy to see that there are sparks of originality out there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clappy said:

I'm sorry, but what?  Toy Story 4 and Cars 3 seem like what?  Have you even read what they are planning to do with both of these films?  Because if anything, I'm excited for the direction they are taking with both movies.  Pixar seems to actually be focusing on making a legitimate Cars sequel based off of everything I've read up to this point.  I honestly can't wait to see it since it isn't focusing on making the comedy character the focal point and giving Lightning a bit of a redemption story focusing on the racing world passing him by.  I know Pixar will already be making a shit ton of money from merchandise alone since that's the main reason Cars became a franchise in the first place, but I'm glad they seemingly learned from their mistake with Cars 2 and are giving us a more developed plot that makes more sense in this film universe.

As for Toy Story 4, sure a romantic comedy seems like a bit of a stretch initially, but it's about Woody searching for Bo Peep.  That alone hits me right in the feels because I have always been invested in that relationship since the first Toy Story.  When they explained what happened to her in the third movie, that was the one of many moments I got teary eyed in that movie.  I legitimately want to know if they find her and Woody and Bo get reunited.  The fact that you think both movies seem like the low point for Pixar is just jumping the bullet without actually giving both movies a chance.

As for the rest of this topic, Pixar isn't going to stop doing sequels.  Nowhere in that article did it say that we won't ever get a Pixar sequel ever again after The Incredibles 2.  I actually hope we get more sequels at some point as long as the company takes the time to give each one proper development.  But I'm not going to lie when I say that I am happy to know Pixar will be focusing on creating more original content for quite some time.  Because in today's sequel heavy Hollywood, I'm always happy to see that there are sparks of originality out there.

Ok yeah. I jumped into the conclusion too quickly, I shouldn't have done that but that's part of because Toy Story 3 was such a great way to end the franchise I didn't wanna see another Toy Story movie. It'd be great to see Woody seaching for Bo Peep but i think it'd be fine as a short or a 30 minute special or something. Yeah the story behind Cars 3 does seem like they are learning from mistakes of 2 but still i think it is also there as a cash grab and more toys. I want to be proved wrong by these movies, i really do. After positive reaction Finding Dory has gotten (I still haven't seen it but I will once it premieres in Turkey), i'm sure Toy tory 4 and Cars 3 will manage to do fine but right now i still feel a bit iffy. I don't wanna higher my expectations because i hate to be disappointed by a movie made by a studio I love so much. Again, i agreed that I overreacted about "the lowest part" tho, that was a mistake.