• Advertisement

The Writer's Lounge

Ron

Man, 5 months since a post on here? I have no ideas to share right now and I'm not sure if anybody else does, but am I the only sane man who has the slightest thought that there isn't much love to these than before? Quite honestly, that only came around when I noticed there weren't that many spin-off goers/voters in the 8th spin-off awards. (Same for Lits) As much as I'm aware some of us are lazy, but maybe there's a way.

Its so sad :( . Spin-offs are one of the things that lead to me joining SBC.

I do think Spin-offs aren't as good as they used to be (now they are becoming more fan fic like). I remember there was a time where there were popular stories or should I say when spin-offs got a lot of feedback.

Yeah the decrease in the activity of spin-offs is quite sad. To be honest (this is just a thought, opinion, or whatever you want to call it)....I don't read as many as I use to. Sometimes, to me, it feels like a chore to read other spin-offs, especially when they are so detailed and such long things to read. I am not criticizing the length of spin-offs, not at all. It is great to see users so dedicated into making their spin-offs seem like an actual tv show. I just don't like reading them as much. To be honest (once again), the only long spin-offs I keep up with are Steel's Underwater Survivor and Wumbo's Patrick's Big Break. Otherwise, I can't really say that I keep up with anyone elses.

I do agree that we should try to get more members involved with the spin-off community, but we should not intimidate them with plot lengths. I brought spongedude to SBC back last year when I was raiding tv.com for members. One of the things that I noticed about him was the he was into spin-offs, so I figured that he would like it here. Sadly, he was intimidated by the length of other spin-offs, thus probably why he doesn't keep up with his anymore.

Well, it's not like you're not allowed to make short spin-offs. Although I can see why others would be intimidated.
Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that I was saying anyone wasn't allowed to. Trust me, my next spin-off (holding off on The Fallen Star returning, I don't want to have multiple superhero spin-offs with Team SpongeBob and Mermaid Man's return) is going to be returning to the shorter format.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like that I was saying anyone wasn't allowed to. Trust me, my next spin-off (holding off on The Fallen Star returning, I don't want to have multiple superhero spin-offs with Team SpongeBob and Mermaid Man's return) is going to be returning to the shorter format.
Yeah, I (and others) have noticed that I've been making Coral Drive episodes considerably shorter.

How does everyone like this idea:

Squiddy and the Pat:

Although the title and theme song are a friendly spoof of Pinky and the Brain, the actual spin-off is completely different.

This spin-off tells the story of Squidward who joins an art institution, only to find that he has Patrick for a roommate. Squidward then has to make it through the course, while at the same time keeping Patrick out of trouble.

Squiddy and the Pat:

Although the title and theme song are a friendly spoof of Pinky and the Brain, the actual spin-off is completely different.

This spin-off tells the story of Squidward who joins an art institution, only to find that he has Patrick for a roommate. Squidward then has to make it through the course, while at the same time keeping Patrick out of trouble.

Sounds like it could be funny!

Squiddy and the Pat:

I like the idea, CD

Throwing around an idea here.

Old Man Jenkins' Jalopy

After having his longtime apartment home demolished to make way for a new shopping mall, aging widower, Old Man Jenkins, finds himself kicked out onto the cold streets of Bikini Bottom. When his eldest son takes him in to live with his family, Jenkins soon finds himself at odds with his family and faces being thrown into a retirement home. After having to identify the dead body of an old time friend of his, Jenkins realizes that his old friend lived and died alone and miserable. Not wanting to go out like that, OMJ resolves to make amends with his son and his family before dusting off his old jalopy for one last hoorah as he plans to travel across the sea floor to visit and make amends with his others kids and family and hopefully find a more stable and suitable place to live off the rest of his life, not wanting to be a burden on his eldest son and his family anymore. He takes his beloved late wife's pet snail, Reginald, along for the ride to continue to keep him company. Generations and cultures collide as OMJ travels from city to city, saying goodbye to old friends while making new ones and meeting up with some surprising company in this spin-off based on the 70's classic, "Harry and Tonto".

Throwing around an idea here.

Old Man Jenkins' Jalopy

After having his longtime apartment home demolished to make way for a new shopping mall, aging widower, Old Man Jenkins, finds himself kicked out onto the cold streets of Bikini Bottom. When his eldest son takes him in to live with his family, Jenkins soon finds himself at odds with his family and faces being thrown into a retirement home. After having to identify the dead body of an old time friend of his, Jenkins realizes that his old friend lived and died alone and miserable. Not wanting to go out like that, OMJ resolves to make amends with his son and his family before dusting off his old jalopy for one last hoorah as he plans to travel across the sea floor to visit and make amends with his others kids and family and hopefully find a more stable and suitable place to live off the rest of his life, not wanting to be a burden on his eldest son and his family anymore. He takes his beloved late wife's pet snail, Reginald, along for the ride to continue to keep him company. Generations and cultures collide as OMJ travels from city to city, saying goodbye to old friends while making new ones and meeting up with some surprising company in this spin-off based on the 70's classic, "Harry and Tonto".

Oh dear god yes! I would so read this.

Well, after rewatching the movie last night on TCM, I've been even more inspired to go through with the idea. I plan on taking my time with this one and not rush on into and through it. If this is gonna mark my return to churning out a srs spin-off, I want to leave a lasting impression with this one. Don't expect it to last more than one season, though. Expect "Old Man Jenkins and his Jalopy" soon enough.

Ok, I really need thoughts on this. I've had an idea to make a new lit made up of shorts that will only be sold in my Glove World store. It's about Nicktoons interacting in a Nickelodeon city of somesorts. Please give me thoughts on this. :)

I actually like it!