• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

Are You Happy Now? An episode that I kinda used to like. After watching it a few more times, I realize how depressing it is... It feels so sad and dark.

Pineapple Fever I actually kind of like this one. It's pretty entertaining and that one minute gag was pretty funny IMO

Wait, about the 6-way tie in the beginning, I remember that in the original list you said that the "tiebreaker" was how many lists it showed up on. Wouldn't that mean #50's only a tie with To Save a Squirrel and A Day Without Tears?

Both these episodes were on my personal list, so here are my thoughts:

Are You Happy Now?: New entry into my list this year, and I actually placed it really high. It's one of those episodes that made me think "just... why?" While the suicide jokes here aren't as bad as a certain OTHER episode (we'll see where it lands), they are still horribly tasteless. Like, not only are they not funny, they're uncomfortable. Am I really supposed to be laughing at the notion of Squidward hanging himself and then NOPE NOPE IT'S JUST A BIRDCAGE HAHA SEE FOOLED YA! That's a Family Guy joke, and not a particularly good one, either. Just a thoroughly uncomfortable episode.

Pineapple Fever: This episode is just thoroughly annoying. Clappy's clip sums up why this doesn't work for me; it tries to throw "SpongeBob and Patrick are unbelievably stupid" and "Squidward is annoyed" constantly at you for jokes, and very few of them hit the mark. I think I got a laugh out of Squidward "cheating" at the puzzle, but that's it.

• Like 2

Wait, about the 6-way tie in the beginning, I remember that in the original list you said that the "tiebreaker" was how many lists it showed up on. Wouldn't that mean #50's only a tie with To Save a Squirrel and A Day Without Tears?

I was functioning off so little sleep when I was counting down that list (IRL stuff) so I completely forgot that I did that the original time around.  But you know with so many participants this year (and after realizing how I did it last time), I decided to sticking with bending my tiebreaker and just count all of those votes (for better or for worse).

Clearly s6 had some steep competition. *splashes hot cocoa on Nuggets*

Anyways keep up the good streak we have going here. Haven't seen a pre-movie one on here since MuscleBob I believe.

28. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

131a%20-%20Keep%20Bikini%20Bottom%20Beau

82 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#6 Butters)

Squidward exits his house, saying "Another beautiful Sunday." He goes down the street, dancing, but steps on some gum and falls. He frantically tries to get it loose. He finally does, and tosses the gum aside. Officer John sees the gum and inspects it. He then walks over to Squidward, thinking he littered, and asks Squidward about the gum, to which Squidward replies, "I just stepped in it." Officer John says "Boy, you sure did," and gives him a ticket, sentencing him to community service.

It then cuts to Squidward picking up trash (with some people giving him their trash), then Squilliam comes along and brags about the statue that was made of him just for cleaning up Bikini Bottom in only one week, to which Squidward replies, "I can clean it up in one day!". Squilliam then gets out a tissue and blows his nose on it, and says "Here, this should get you started.," and drops it on the ground. Officer John comes along, sees the tissue, and thinks Squidward dropped it. He then gives Squidward another ticket.

When Squidward looks for place to put his trash, he sees that all the cans and dumpsters are full, so he "borrows" a kid's toy wagon. Mable sees Squidward with the trash and she tells everyone it's Trash Day, soon the trash in the wagon becomes a trash mountain. SpongeBob comes out of one of the garbage bags and offers Squidward to help him when he discovers the life cycle of a Krabby Patty (one that was thrown out). Squidward says "He'd rather be beaten to a pulp," then the boy and his mother appear, with the boy telling his mother to beat Squidward to a pulp. Squidward is beaten and covered in trash. Officer John thinks Squidward made the mess and gives him another ticket. Squidward then accepts SpongeBob's offer and SpongeBob gets rid of all the trash.

Squidward goes home and relaxes, until he realizes his house is made of garbage. He runs outside and sees that the garbage was made into a replica of Squidward's house. Officer John gives Squidward two tickets (one for the garbage house and one for the first ticket falling on the ground). Squidward gets so angry, his nerves spell out "I am angry." SpongeBob asks why and Squidward finds out his house is on top of the replica because the dump is closed. SpongeBob took it to his house by sucking the garbage onto his body. When SpongeBob talked, garbage came out of his mouth, leading Officer John to give Squidward another ticket.

Squidward puts the trash-filled SpongeBob in SpongeBob's own bin (giving Squidward another ticket for putting his trash in someone else's rubbish bin). SpongeBob finds that the reason why Squidward wants to get rid of the trash is to get a statue of himself. SpongeBob makes a statue of Squidward made of the garbage. Squilliam says the statue is just like Squidward, having the stench of failure. The horrible stench melts Squilliam's statue, ruining it, and Squilliam surprisingly gets a ticket from Officer John. Before the end of the episode, Officer John gives both SpongeBob and Squidward tickets for the statue made of garbage.

Clappy: Hate to go for the easy pun here, but this episode is trash.  I don't care if there is a hidden message behind it about saving the environment blah blah blah.  It's just so poorly executed that it becomes a collection of Squidward getting marks on his record and having to do community service for doing what's right.  What a waste of a Squilliam guest spot...more of those later.

Trophy: OK this one was a piece of garbage, bold and brash, BELONGS IN THE TRASH, Goin TO THE DUMP 

ALL PUNS INTENDED! I can understand Squidward being punished the first time, BUT THEN IT SPIRALS OUTTA CONTROL! NO FREAKIN WAY THAT THIS MAKES ANY SENSE! From the multiple penalties, to the red wagon incident, it was a giant train wreck from top to bottom! Squilliam somehow made this worse indirectly with his statue, also the last piece of garbage falling... BRAIN DEAD SHUT DOWN MODE ACTIVATE TO SAVE FROM COMPLETE FAILURE! Boy I said a mouthful, this just really irritates me to the point where I don't think straight. so sorry for how weird I sound in this part.

27. Summer Job

4651930_l4.jpg

86 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#6 PatBack)

It's the end of the year at Mrs. Puff's Boating School, and SpongeBob tries to give her a note. Then, after trying to avoid the note in any way, Mrs. Puff drives away and accidentally wrecks the Krusty Krab's doors when the note was in Mrs. Puff's eyes, while trying to escape SpongeBob and his note. To pay off the damage she caused, Mrs. Puff works as a cashier, while Mr. Krabs gives Squidward a summer off vacation. SpongeBob teaches Mrs. Puff what to do, and disguises himself as the Duke (customer) ordering food. He asks for beans on toast and Mrs. Puff tries to write the order in a note, but SpongeBob whispers her to tell the Duke they don't serve beans on toast. Then, Mrs. Puff gets annoyed, but a real customer comes to the Krusty Krab then SpongeBob tells that she's doing good.

She tries to give the customer a Krabby Patty, but she trips in a barrel and wrecks the Krusty Krab. Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob, somehow, rolled the barrel into the ceiling and both fall down in the ground. She runs away, and rips SpongeBob's note. Mrs. Puff is arrested for this. Mrs. Puff believes that she will never see SpongeBob for many years but she is sent to the prison's Driver's Ed. class. At first, she is pleased to be in an easy class until she sees the teacher, who unfortunately, was SpongeBob. SpongeBob taped the note back together and showed her the true message. He was just trying to tell her that he was becoming a temporary boating school teacher for the summer. Mrs. Puff wants to escape, but is stopped by the police man, and she screams in terror.

Clappy: I don't get it...are we suppose to find Mrs. Puff repetitively going to jail over and over again post movie hilarious?  Because they have milked that joke to the point that it's more predictable than funny.  Anyway...this episode could have worked.  That's why I don't like it because it's executed in the most frustrating way imaginable.  The potential was there, but it was demolished by SpongeBob being a smart*dolphin noise* throughout and past history being completely ignored with Kruff.  Take into effect that everything else was executed terribly and this being on the countdown doesn't come as much of a surprise.

Trophy: Before I get into a review here... let us remember Kruff... From Krusty Love until it faded into obscurity to be permanently blown into oblivion, and then the same with Mrs. Greenback in SDK, but that's off topic. OK so honestly this was irritating, Mrs. Puff was overreacting in the beginning, which she deserves to be in this mess... but why? The execution was just awful, plus the twist in the end just says: "MRS. PUFF IS THE NEW OFFICIAL SQUIDWARD, GET READY FOR EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL TORTURE!" now doesn't it? That's what it comes off as to me.

• Like 6

28: I didn't consider it for my list, but I still hate it. It was dumb that Squidward needed to get punished every time there was a gum wrapper beneath him, even though there was no proof, which gets boring quickly. It was filled with literal garbage. And also, that video eliminates the chance that the episode it was in would make it. :(

27: This was right in the middle of mine. From the start, I knew something was wrong. Mrs. Puff was undeservedly put into unwanted torment as the episode went on. It was executed extremely poorly, none of the characters are likeable, with SpongeBob being a complete smart-ass and Krabs using her as free labor. And the ending left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

30: This one should've made my list in hindsight. Never was a fan of it back when it premiered, and it's slowly getting worse as the years go by. This episode is very off in its tone, it just feels like a major downer. The suicide jokes didn't bug me, but the main problem is I didn't find any of this episode funny. And what was with that ending?

29: I'm in the middle on this one. There's some decent gags, but I found it mediocre. Like Wumbo said, SpongeBob and Patrick weren't very funny to me in it. I didn't consider it for my list because I've seen much worse S6 eps, but I don't really find it that great either.
28: This also should've made my list (I think it may have made my 2013 list though). It's just one running gag over and over that wasn't funny the first time.
27: Yeah, this one made my list at #20. SpongeBob is VERY annoying in it. I'm not one to get mad at a character getting abused, but here it felt like they were taking a dump on poor ol' Mrs. Puff for no real reason, and none of it was funny. This whole episode kind of makes me like Demolition Doofus because of everything Mrs. Puff goes through here.

You know, since I have down time....and I also have OMLJ/Fred's comments early.

26. Plankton's Regular

357704.jpg

87 points. 6 out of 23 lists. (#4 Clappy)

Plankton is once again complaining about how he has no customers, with Karen being annoyed by the constant whining. Nat Peterson instantly comes in and asks for a Chum Stick. Plankton at first thinks he is kidding, then Nat says he was serious, then gives Nat the Chum Stick. After Nat eats the Chum Stick, he says the Chum Stick was so good, he would come back the next day. Plankton is overjoyed at the fact, and brags to Karen, who is barely shaken by the fact (A possible clue that Karen is actually paying Nat). Plankton decides to wait with a Chum Stick for Nat. Eight hours later, Plankton wakes up by the clock and realizes it's closing time, and concludes that it was not true that Nat was coming back. However, at that moment, Nat appears. Plankton gives him the chum he had been saving, which Nat thinks is perfect after he looks like it was a very appalling meal. Nat says he will come back the next day and the next week, telling Plankton he has a regular customer on his hands.

At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs is bowling, using his money as the bowling balls and pins. Plankton appears, and Mr. Krabs tries to squish him with a spoon. Plankton assures Mr. Krabs that he doesn't need to compete with the Krusty Krab anymore since he now has a regular customer. Mr. Krabs laughs at him, and shows off all his customers eating Krabby Patties. Then Nat appears asking Plankton for another Chum Stick in front of Mr. Krabs. Nat carries Plankton back to the Chum Bucket, with Plankton mocking Mr. Krabs and insulting him. Mr. Krabs explains the situation to SpongeBob, and orders him to get Nat to eat food from the Krusty Krab and not at the Chum Bucket. Every attempt is unsuccessful, first when SpongeBob simply shows Nat a Krabby Patty, which Nat immediately doesn't like just by smelling it, secondly, SpongeBob fakes a trip off of a rock holding Nat and pretending the Krabby Patty is coming straight for his mouth, thirdly, SpongeBob transforms into Karen and pretends to give Nat a chum stick which is a Krabby Patty, he ties up and gags Karen so they won't notice him, fourthly, Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob trick Nat into going into a shortcut leading to the Chum Bucket which really leads to the Krusty Krab, they make chum Nat doesn't like. Mr. Krabs bursts into tears, saying that he cannot afford Plankton to have even just one customer. SpongeBob says that if he wants Nat to eat at the Krusty Krab, he will have to make chum as good as Plankton. This gives Mr. Krabs the idea to steal the chum recipe.

That night, Mr. Krabs sneaks into the Chum Bucket trying to steal Plankton's recipe but Plankton catches him with the spoon security system. SpongeBob then grabs Plankton and starts talking about irony of the situation, but Plankton then uses the spoon security system on SpongeBob. After Plankton reveals the name of his system, Karen shows, on screen, that Nat is heading for the Chum Bucket with a fortune. Nat comes back telling Plankton that the Chum made him sick twice, since Nat only pretended to like the food so Karen would pay him, so that Plankton would stop complaining. Because of this, Plankton feels miserable again, and realizes that he never had a regular customer. SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs to escape, but he decides to stay and laugh at Plankton's misery, which enjoys seeing Plankton cry.

Clappy: Oh boy...this one is a special episode right here.  I could just copy and paste my explanations for 2013 here since they still apply, but I'm going to speak from the heart.  This was the episode that made me finished finding anything redeemable about the character of Mr. Krabs.  He just won't let Plankton have anything.  Not even a single customer.  That's a huge FU to someone he once considered his friend.  Especially that atrocious ending of Krabs finding joy in Plankton's misery as he soaked into depression about the whole scheme.  Like that's just such a huge low that it just infuriates me to hope for the worst to a character that we are suppose to like.  Sure there may have been worse instances of Mr. Krabs being a total ahole to Plankton, like driving him to suicide, but this was the moment that made me done with Krabs.  Go Plankton.  Steal the krabby patty formula from that money pinching jerk.

OMLJ: Okay, now this episode, I highly regret not putting in my Bottom 50. I could have easily got rid of most of my filler spots in the countdown. Season 6 was a huge downhill slide for Mr. Krabs. From spending millions of dollars on movie theaters for one single penny to treating SpongeBob as a newspaper slave and making counterfeit money, Mr. Krabs went from caring about his employees, his family, and money to putting money above everything else. And this episode further proves my point. Let me explain something. Plankton gets one customer compared to, like, millions of customers who visit the Krusty Krab each day, each night, each waking moment, and Mr. Krabs complains about it. Um, why do you care if he has a customer? You have thousands of people visit The Krusty Krab each day. You have a ton of money. Why don't you at least let Plankton have this one customer? Or do episodes like Best Frenemies mean nothing to you? Don't even get me started on the ending.

25. Big Sister Sam

ZOihqSg.jpg

88 points. 7 out of 23 lists. (#5 Rev)

The episode opens with SpongeBob and Gary sleeping. Patrick is cleaning his rock with a mop then wakes them up. SpongeBob asks him why he is doing it and he responds by saying his sister Sam Star, is coming. Patrick also reveals that they were lost in the surf when they were only kids. Squidward screams angrily and demands for peace and quiet, but Sam then arrives in a bus, and punches the door down. She is revealed to be a huge starfish. Sam hugs and almost suffocates Patrick. Patrick introduces SpongeBob to Sam and Sam, mistaking SpongeBob to be a danger, protects Patrick by throwing SpongeBob. Patrick suggests that they go inside to "play," but Sam explains how the house is too small. Sam then takes a briefcase filled with sand and constructs a new house, made of sand. Patrick thanks her. However, Squidward complains that his house is filled with sand. Again, Sam feels overprotective and moves Squidward's house with only her bare hands. Squidward makes jokes about Sam saying, how she is bigger, and dumber than Patrick. Sam responds by getting angry and then starting to cry because she already knows it is all true. Her giant tears throw both Squidward and SpongeBob.

After that, Patrick becomes overprotective of Sam by saying that SpongeBob and Squidward are "meanies" and saying that they should blecorate (decorate) the rock. However, she uses parts of Squidward's house to decorate it. Then Squidward gets angry and calls her a thief. Then SpongeBob tries to talk some sense into Patrick, but Patrick does not care that Sam deliberately dismantled Squidward's house. Then he starts crying, thinking SpongeBob has become a traitor, and gets head-butted by Sam. Squidward gets angry and attempts to throw a rock at the house. In response, Sam and Patrick come out of the house and Sam chews up the loose parts and spits them at Squidward's house, destroying it.

Squidward then drives a bulldozer at Patrick, Sam, and the house, making Patrick and Sam realize that Squidward is literally going to kill them. SpongeBob tries to stop him but to no avail. Sam, who throws the bulldozer at SpongeBob's house, stops Squidward. After that, SpongeBob finally becomes upset at the destruction of his house, making Patrick finally see what SpongeBob means. Patrick tries to tell her to control her temper, but she gets very angry and destroys her own home while Patrick sacrifices himself to save the house. Patrick lays there unconscious but SpongeBob successfully wakes him up by using cookie dough. Sam feels very guilty and explains that she must leave (She is late for a manicure and shows them her nails). As Sam leaves on the bus, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh about their experience with Patrick's sister.

Clappy: I rewatched this episode recently since I forgot it even existed.  I'm surprised with how high up this list it ended up.  I mean was it really that bad?  Sure Patrick acted like an oblivious obnoxious goof to Sam's disruptive behavior...but that's expected.  Yes Sam was hideously animated and was a buffoon.  I guess I just don't get why this is as hated as it is.  It's not an impressive episode by any means, but being held this highly in points....it's a mystery to me.  I eagerly await the comments so I can see what is so bad about it.

OMLJ: I'm not too fond of this episode, but I don't hate it that much. I mean, yeah, Patrick acts jerky in this episode, but all Patrick was trying to do was protect his sister since she was lost at sea once. Still, that didn't give Patrick any reason to defend Sam for destroying Squidward and SpongeBob's houses. At least the plot is good and the episode is pretty interesting. Patrick's characterization is the only thing I would change about this episode, but other than that, it's not bad.

• Like 5

29: Eh, this one isn't great, but it doesn't bother as much as a certain other episode, which we'll probably get to later on.

28: As someone who voted for this one at #7 on my list, I'll gladly explain. This was a new addition to my list, I was surprised at how much I disliked it until recently. Sam is just VERY unlikable and annoying in it. If you want to make her unlikable intentionally, fine. But at least make her antics amusing, because I did not find them funny one bit. "THAT MAKES BIG SISTER SAM MAD!!! *destroys something*" wasn't funny the first time, and just got annoying as it went on. The whole episode is just Sam getting angry and destroying stuff for 11 minutes. You know that one one-off character we all hate? For me, it's Sam. Go away Sam, Patrick was better not having a sister.

• Like 2

Haven't seen 28 or 27, no real desire to.

Plankton's Regular: I keep forgetting about this one in lieu of that OTHER episode where Mr. Krabs is a jerk to Plankton (again, we'll see about its placement). But yeah, this is a pretty bad one. It's just not funny or enjoyable; it's just mean-spirited. Comedy may come from misery, but there's such a thing as too much misery. This episode had too much misery and not enough comedy. Viva La Plankton. <3

Big Sister Sam: ...huh? I don't remember this one being particularly good, but I don't find anything particularly bad about it either. Odd episode to make it this far, IMO.

Keep BBB: So I seem to be one of the very few people who find this episode funny, huh?

Summer Job: Yawwwwnn. IDK, one of the more forgettable episodes for the series, but not a terrible episode.

Plankton's Regular: Again, I appear to be one of the few who actually like this episode.

Big Sister Sam: Another yawwwnnnnn. Not entirely bad or good.

28. Squidward constantly getting ticketed was annoying and unfunny, but I don't find this episode too bothersome. I do agree that it was a waste of Squilliam.

27. I don't care for SpongeBob or Krabs's behavior in the episode. Mrs. Puff was overreacting to the note in the beginning, but I still felt kinda bad for her.

26. I should've found room for this episode on my list. This is a great example of how flanderized Mr. Krabs has become, to the point where he won't let Plankton have ONE customer. One of my least favorites from season 6.

25. Don't remember this episode too much but I didn't see the point in suddenly giving Patrick a sister. It's not particularly good or bad to me.

28. Hello, lucky number 13 on my list. This is one of those one-trick pony (or rather, one joke seahorse) episodes. The running gag of this episode involves Squidward getting ticketed for random crimes such as spilling garbage or just plain being around garbage. It just becomes very dull and tedious. Thankfully, it's not as bad as the episode partnered with it.

27. If you need one episode to prove that Mr. Krabs' character is Flanderized, this would be one of them. Mrs. Puff was treated too unfairly in this episode. And the ending where SpongeBob turns out to be Mrs. Puff's driving instructor didn't make sense, especially since SpongeBob doesn't have a driver's license.

26. Read my opinions on it above, ya lazy bum

25. I should probably expand on my review. For a one-time character, Sam was really really annoying. Usually, unlikable characters can be funny, but Sam wasn't likable at all. She just came off as more annoying than Pearl. Yeah, I went there. I don't care if she apologized in the end, Sam wasn't a very great one-timer character.

26: I agree that Mr. Krabs was really selfish and geedy to not allow Plankton to have at least one fan, and the ending really was an insult, but I did enjoy SpongeBob's random methods of getting the customer back and I did like Nat and Plankton's bonding over the food.

25: For a one-timer, Sam is incredibly lazy, being a carbon copy of Patrick, except, bigger, dumber, and buffoon-ier. Patrick is completely oblivious to the fact that she's destroying his existing friends and property, whenever someone complains, she destroys something. Patrick's emotional backstory that could link to his protectiveness is completely ignored.

30. This episode made my list. The first part is decent and it's nice to see SpongeBob trying to make Squidward happy, but the second half is just depressing and doesn't even fit with the episode at all. And the ending is just plain disturbing.
29. I love this episode to death and it is one of my favorite episodes of all time, let alone Season 6. Fight me irk scrub.
28. This episode didn't make my list, but it's not a good episode nonetheless. That's really all I can say that hasn't been said before.
27. I hate this episode. It's not funny, takes forever to get through, and gives off bad vibes. So you are implying that the viewer wants to see a character get tortured for 11 minutes and laugh at it? No, I don't.
26. Actually a decent ep. I laughed at some of the jokes and it had a good plot. I loved Mr. Krabs stealing Plankton's formula. The ending pissed me off, but one bad part doesn't ruin the whole thing.
25. *eye twitches* I. HATE. THIS. EPISODE. Sister Sam is the single most annoying character in the entire show. And Patrick being a total jerk doesn't help either. In this episode, SpongeBob is so wooden -a very simple protagonist trying to keep his friends from fighting each other. I bet you could find the same exact lines in a 1960's cheesy Hanna-Barbera cartoon. There is nothing good about this episode. Nothing. All of the "jokes" (if there even IS any) bomb. This episode is the only episode that made me stop watching the show for a full 8 months, because I got so pissed at it. And on my rewatch, I stopped watching for the rest of the month. Yes, I will never watch this horrible piece of sh*t again.

"Are You Happy Now?" and "Pineapple Fever," are two episode segments that I'm PRETTY sure made my list, or at least, they came very close to. But I'm surprised that "Plankton's Regular" and "Big Sister Sam" wind up on this list. "Big Sister Sam" may not be GOOD, but it is NOT horrific! :rolleyes: And I actually enjoy "Plankton's Regular;" it's not the animated atrocity that "One Coarse Meal" is! :P Speaking of, I wonder where "One Coarse Meal" will wind up on this list? :huh: