• Advertisement

Return of the SBC Episode Club!

Wumbo

Bubble Buddy Returns is obviously not as good as the original Bubble Buddy, but this episode does a good job at taking the legacy of the original and trying to do its own thing with it. It wasn't very funny, but it did entertain me, and that's really all you can expect of the series at this point. In general, I do like the callbacks that Season 8 had, what with this, the return of Glove World, and of course, Bubble Bass' appearance in Plankton's Good Eye. I hope they do more of them in Season 9, whenever that continues.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Overall, I think this episode works. Like JCM said, this season had quite a few callbacks, and having Bubble Buddy come back to the series to get SpongeBob to watch his son was an interesting idea. But an interesting idea can only take you so far if you can't flesh it out well. So did they?

I think the idea worked just fine, kind of the Bubble Buddy 2.0 it was meant to be. The fact that it was essentially the same conflict over and over didn't really bother me, because Shiny did enough things between the conflicts (paint a 'stache on Squidward, make the Krusty Krab floor slippery) that it kept my interest. I also think that the writers played the joke out smartly in other ways. Their self-awareness of how tired the formula could get shone through. I liked the tease with Scissor Works, as well as The Pillow Foundry in general.

I also enjoyed how Shiny was essentially the same thing as Bubble Buddy: seemingly just a bubble up until the very end, when it's revealed that he's sentient. If I had any qualms, it's that the ending was a little awkward, with SpongeBob just rambling on about his busy schedule. But overall, I thought this was a very well done, funny callback to a previous episode, and I'm happy that the writers could accomplish it so smartly.

Grade: A-

images_2.jpg

Now honestly, don't go blaming your bad driving on the bubble. Not cool.

• Like 1

All right guys, so go ahead and discuss EvSpongeFan's choice...

Party_Pooper_Pants.jpg

All right guys, so go ahead and discuss EvSpongeFan's choice...

Party_Pooper_Pants.jpg

why's that huge? :P

anyways, one of my fave episode in SB, i loved how it aires regularly on YTV (inculding Patchy segments which is weird though that was part of episode).

i'll give it 10/10 A+

Good thing I have this on DVD.

I don't get the hate for this episode. If SpongeBob wasn't a control freak, what problems would there be anyway? He deserved the so called "abuse" that happened minus being taken to jail. At least he learned his lesson about being a control freak in the end, people don't enjoy a party like that. He relied too much on the party kit. 9/10

• Like 3

Honestly, I swear that I couldn't find anything good in this episode whatsoever. This is the first episode I ever disliked heavily that I could possibly remember. First of all, the humor is EXTREMELY unfunny. No gag in this episode got me close to laughing. Along with that, I am frustratingly split with what makes me angrier: SpongeBob's uptight control-freak arrogance in this episode, or the officers arresting SpongeBob just because they weren't invited to his party. Plus, I just do not see why SpongeBob would find an organized party fun in any way. I rather would have gone to the party that turned out to be. Along with the lack of humor, lack of character, lack of good plot, the ending is probably what sizzled my brain the most. SpongeBob was locked outside the whole night last night and he realized the key WAS UNDER HIS MAT! That was such a huge waste of time. The writers could have pulled it off better. The actual episode isn't the only part that makes me want to explode in anger and boredom, though. Along with that, it's the PATCHY SEGMENTS. Patchy needs to be kicked off the show immediately. He's not funny, the scenes with him on the specials is not funny, and everything about him irritates me. This isn't his worst performance, but it really brings me dislike-o-meter for the episode very high. This episode is bland when it's supposed to be funny, upright bad when bland could be a better choice, and upright horrible at other times. It is my least favorite episode of all time.

0/10

The episode is not bad, but just not very good. It does make up for itself by having some good jokes. I really liked Patrick's dancing, the deviled eggs, and some more. The part that ruins it for me is the key-under-the-mat. The mat was NEVER there! That's what makes me dislike this episode. I didn't really care about SB being a jerk, he just wanted a nice party. To wrap it up, the episode does have a few flaws but is still watchable.

The Patchy side was good. I mean it was short, some wacky stuff. I liked the song a lot. It was actually one of the Patchy segments I like!

Overall: 6.5/10

Spoiler

I had no idea that this episode got backlash. Sure, it's not the greatest special SpongeBob's ever done, but by no means is it a bad episode. It has plenty of charms that make it classic SpongeBob SquarePants.

Watching this episode after two post-movie episodes really separates the two categories. You can try and blur comparisons between the two all you want, but let's face it: post-movie SpongeBob will never be pre-movie SpongeBob. Watching this episode makes it all the more evident, because modern episodes just don't add in those little touches anymore.

You know the type: the little touches that reward you for paying attention. The little things that make you smile in spite of yourself. The little details that make the characters, the settings, and the stories seem all the more real. In this episode, I'm talking about SpongeBob's adorable "Have Fun" banner and "Enjoy the Food" sign. I'm talking about the tip jar in his closet. Hell, I'm even talking about the bizarre way that the "who the barnacle is SpongeBob SquarePants?" guy's wife just pokes her head out of the kitchen, talking to him while mixing something in a bowl. (And yes, he shows up at the party. "Guess it's time to move again" nothin'.) Are these jokes? No. But are they endearing signs of hard work put into the episode? Absolutely. I don't see little details in newer episodes. Every joke and every detail is shoved in your face; there's nothing subtle. While this isn't necessarily bad, it's what separates a post-movie episode from a pre-movie episode. Just those little touches of effort to make an episode really shine.

Anyway, just those details alone are enough for me to give this episode a high grade, but it's also got some wickedly funny moments with SpongeBob's need for control as he's locked outside of his house, giving us some great lines. ("Phone in punch bowl? That's not even on the schedule!" is a personal favourite.) It also serves as an excellent character study for SpongeBob. He's an optimistic, fun-loving and all-around caring guy, but he also needs control and order in his life. When he loses that control, he freaks out. Think back to previous episodes, and think of all the to-do lists he has, all the routines, all the detail he puts into everything he aspires to do. When that all comes crashing down in this episode, we see a breakdown. We see destruction of the optimism and friendly nature of SpongeBob. And it's beautiful to see that third dimension. So no, I don't hate this episode because he was "being a jerk", because he's not a damn caricature. He's a character.

Now for the Patchy segments, which need to be brought up whenever they're around as they're so polarizing. I've always kind of had a lukewarm opinion of Patchy. He's funny enough for what his gimmick is, and I think his devotion to SpongeBob is adorable, but he also has huge potential to spoil the flow of an episode, and unfortunately, he did more spoiling here than saving. There were funny moments here and there (the mermaid scene is classic dark humour), but Patchy should not interrupt the episode in the middle. I don't care how funny Patchy is; I don't want to see Patchy's party as opposed to SpongeBob's. No SpongeBob fan does. By the time he pops up again at the end, I'm too bothered by the guy to laugh. He was too intrusive in this episode, and unfortunately brings the grade down a bit. (That song at the end is great, though.)

Overall, I'm glad we got to discuss a classic episode, because I have such love for almost all of them. They're a staple of my childhood, and watching them again is a better treat than a hot fudge sundae. Despite the Patchy segments, I still rate this episode high.

Grade: A-

20130420204721_Spongebob_Wearing_1_Bunny

"All night in the stony lonesome... in a bunny outfit." SPONGEBOB ABUSE???!!!111

• Like 5

Sorry if I'm intruding, but...

Why is Patchy so hated? I had no problem with his segments when I was little and I honestly found them humorous. Especially in Party Pooper Pants, it was funny seeing Potty getting the upper hand. It was also funny how Potty mentions the ladies are here, only for them to turn out to be birds. The skits are kinda a modern Bugs vs. Daffy scenario, only toned down. 

Sure, the specials he was featured in were better, but the Patchy segments always had that certain charm to me that never got boring or tired, in my opinion.

I understand Patchy hate, although I think it's overblown. I think the problem people have with him is that he's like an opening act for a concert, except he keeps on coming back on stage when the headlining band's performing. For Patchy to win me over, he'd better be really, really funny. He wasn't funny enough here for me, and he was on too much to justify the sub-par humour.

I neither hate the episode neither do I like the episode. It is interesting and I like these kind of episodes and this episode is awesome. But there is something behind that all. This episode has some inappropriate humour and people drinking punch, but it has a lighter side too.

I like the organisation and all the party contents. That is a very good touch in detail. I like the food choice on the tables (it is a really good food selection. all the different kinds of food: the cakes, eggs with mustard, etc.), the music, the dancing.

Spoiler

SpongeBob's strategies are funny. The beginning is the best. It shows how SpongeBob prepares the party, the meals and all that. The scene with SpongeBob taking Lou's autographs was pretty funny. "One here, one there", a never-ending autograph taking SpongeBob. That could be the best part of the episode even.

Now the Patchy the Pirate part. This has many inappropriate humour too. Look people. It is interesting how Patchy and SpongeBob are preparing the party in the same time. I like it. Really. Maybe it's just me, but they are like competing to make a better party.

Maybe there should be some more actual jokes. It is a party (!), right?

I like the punch phone, a pretty good joke actually.

I'll give it a 7 / 10.

Party Pooper Pants is an episode that tends to divide people. I saw some really good defenses and attacks on it. In my opinion, I'm kinda in the middle of that. 

Let's start with the Patchy stuff. Now it's not particularly rant-worthy like the horrendous segments from Truth or Square, but it's all stuff we've seen before. Not really anything important. The Underwater Sun was great, though. 

Now for the part I actually care about in an episode. The idea of having a House Party was a creative idea, but that doesn't excuse them from not doing enough creative stuff with it. It starts out nice. I liked the 19 seconds thing and the baked piñata with deviled eggs was HILARIOUS, along with the other cooking stuff. And we realize SpongeBob can find where kindergarten classmates live. Creepy. And SpongeBob's schedule was funny at first and his reaction to 40 seconds, but it all went down from here. SpongeBob is an unlikeable a**hole who only cared about his boring way to do a possibly good party. The othe characters were fine, but WHY does SpongeBob have to be so not himself, when it's classic SpongeBob (Season 1-4 IMO), where he's RARELY the bad guy!At least he gets his proper comeuppance with his arrest, which even though for ridiculous reasons, still helped a lot. And when he got back he realizes the key was under the mat, which a) he should've remembered, and B) THERE WAS NO MAT!!! And SpongeBob just thinks it was the best party ever without learning anything. 

So, I don't know what to think about this special. It was a pretty mixed bag. I'll just give it a 5/10. 

I'm probably not too late for this, so I'm going to review this right now...

Party Pooper Pants:

First of all, we got the Patchy segments. I can agree with Wumbo on the Patchy hate that I don't really get either, but he was funny during his own segments. I find most of his antics simply entertaining. The Bird Brains are also some extra points I would add to the fun. So, as a little recap: Patchy was alright in this episode. Some things I would mark as highlights was Patchy's song before "Underwater Sun," the little infomercial spoof, and Patchy flying through houses.

For the real episode, my feelings are apparently on par with the Patchy segments. It's definitely not perfect and has its mood killers. The episode deals with Spongebob heavily reliance on the Plan-Your-Own-Party-Kit and wants everything to be planned perfectly, no schedule violations, just an old fashioned and well-mannered house party. This seems like the first episode where we feel like we don't want Spongebob to interfere until the main plot gets focused on Spongebob locked out of his own house.  

I honestly couldn't feel for Spongebob and his utter neatness obsession for most of the episode than his usual, wacky, fun-loving personality. Did I think Spongebob was out of character? Kinda sorta, but most of the time, it doesn't feel right. He loses his sanity when he resorts to using a bunny costume. After that, we get our "favorite" "the police are stupid" gag when the cops show up and hold Spongebob captive with a pillory. Why? He was throwing a party and they weren't invited. It was no wonder Spongebob went back home the morning after though.

So Patrick tells him that Spongebob has thrown the best party and expects another one....much to Spongebob's joy. After that, the Patchy segments continue, but I covered that up already. Since Lux Interior, the voice for the lead Bird Brains passed away about 5 years ago, may he rest in peace.

My final thoughts is that the episode could've done better. While I'm not much of a fan of Spongebob abuse, I didn't seem to mind it. I've seen worse with Bikini Bottomites cutting off his internal organs. Spongebob's character was definitely not spot on. Other than those few problems, the episode still exciting and has its wits. If it wasn't for the Season 3 charm, it would have lived the with the legacy for Spongebob's record of critically mixed/panned "special episodes." Additionally, while the one-tooth Spongebob was cute, I still cannot see the purpose for that for most of the "Underwater Sun" segment. Speaking of the song, I though it was really good.

I'll give it....a 7.1/10

• Like 1