• Advertisement

Return of the SBC Episode Club!

Wumbo

Fear of a Krabby Patty

I liked this episode, it was a good way to start season 4. The talking Krabby Patty really got annoying at some point, it was just kinda random to me. The jokes were good, but it feels like there weren't enough jokes. The episode is interesting, it was well...OK.

Rating: 7/10

When I have my next turn, I'll pick "Band Geeks"

Spoiler

That way I can see so much praise for it and be the one who has something else to say.

Now for Fear of a Krabby Patty, my last choice. I really don't get the hate for Season 4. It's going extinct (Season 3's hate already has), but it's still notable. Fear of a Krabby Patty, from what I believed, used to be very controversial, but I'm sure most of us can now say it's a good episode easily. And I agree. It's one of my favorites from Season 4. 

The episode just gets me laughing like any other great episode. My favorite gag was easily the piano, but there were still plenty, like the whole "SpongeBob wants the place open earlier" thing or "I WANT TO LIVE!!!". Some may say it rips off Graveyard Shift or Welcome to the Chum Bucket or a few others, but as long as the episode itself has enough original and funny material to cover it and not leave me thinking that. It's nice and memorable, and because it was the revival of the show, it lets us know that SpogeBob is here to stay. Bu maybe it's overstayed it's welcome.  <_<

Overall, it's my 25th favorite episode of the series. 10/10

When I have my next turn, I'll pick "Band Geeks" 

Guys... seriously now. 

I don't even know at this point. Maybe I should just stop talking. I don't want to get frustrated again, so I'll say fourth time's the charm and tell you guys once again to save your episodes until your week to choose.

What if somebody else wanted to choose Band Geeks? You need to wait your turn.

(Of course when I leave in September I guess you can do whatever the hell you want)

• Like 1

Well, here we are, with my guiltiest pleasure in the entire show.

This episode is critically underrated, to the point where it's basically at the bottom. But honestly, it never bugged me. EVER. Stuff like Dumped or I Was a Teenage Gary did, but by hardly anything. 

But why do I not hate this episode, let alone put it in my Top 50? Well, the episode IS really funny. But so is IWS. But really, the episode has enough gags to cover any cruelty. The cruelty I didn't mind. At all. Ever. It wasn't nearly close to Pet Sitter Pat or A Pal for Gary territory. It was just cartoony. If this kind of stuff is cartoony, I can handle it. I mean really, a pet exploding and acting like a hybrid car? That just isn't in the slightest realistic. And of course, SpongeBob apologized in the end, and the cruel training sequence was short and sweet. And I found that cruelty funny for those reasons. People don't complain about SCitS little flaws, because they're short. (top 20, by the way) And the episode just had plenty of good gags. To name a few...

Yeah, and then some. The episode, it TRIED. And for me, it worked. My only real complaint is that they decided to scrap "Snellie" in a later episode, "Gary in Love," and replace it with some snail named Mary or something, can't remember. I don't mind the sexist joke because, well, he got comeuppance by Sandy. 

I'm sure some people put it on their best list. 

• Like 1

Well, to get started this episode has me mixed. The jokes in here are funny, we get the Rocky (not the movie, Patricks Rock) jokes and the Squidward Tortellini jokes. But I am not the biggest fan of SB pushing people waaaay too hard. Its upsetting to watch. But, the episode is still good to me. It's in the middle, I can't consider it good or bad.

(Can I go on the waiting list to pick another episode?)

Well, to get started this episode has me mixed. The jokes in here are funny, we get the Rocky (not the movie, Patricks Rock) jokes and the Squidward Tortellini jokes. But I am not the biggest fan of SB pushing people waaaay too hard. Its upsetting to watch. But, the episode is still good to me. It's in the middle, I can't consider it good or bad.

(Can I go on the waiting list to pick another episode?)

Since you're already on the list, we'll go through the list until we get to the beginning and your turn comes again. :)

Review time.

The Great Snail Race:

Welp, with the so-called "Gary Abuse" being a thing now, I wouldn't be surprised if the reactions are divided now that we know that this episode wasn't that excellent looking back. What do I think of it? It's pretty interesting, yet also sublime.

One of the biggest highlights is people getting Squidward's last name wrong. The gag gets more wit during the long run. Also, Patrick did have some pretty good moments. It's interesting, in subject to the plot. Squidward gets himself his own snail, which is a purebred and brags about Spongebob about how his snail is going to win the snail race. And so the plot thickens into a "my snail is better than your snail" type of episode. (Did I use the term right? Eh, whatever) Meanwhile, Patrick wants to enter the race with a rock for a snail.

Spongebob wants Gary to beat Snellie in the race and decides to coach him for it. As for Gary, the snail doesn't really want to enter the race and just goof around. Eventually, Spongebob's training comes to the point where he's apparently pushing Gary too hard until his own realization during the race. The whole way there, Gary becomes too flat out tired to show some enthusiasm in the race. During the race, Gary literally malfunctions with his eyes blowing up and his shell combusting. That's not really it. 

This is where Spongebob realizes that Gary's exhaustion from the way he's pushed him too hard is making the snail lose control. Gary blows up once he goes out of the boundaries and hit the wall. He gets plot relevant healing after Spongebob runs over to his side. Because of the injuries Gary went through, Snellie throws off the competition to comfort Gary, thus making Patrick the winner of the race with Rocky. In the end, Patrick decides to give Squidward the prize and then Sandy kicks Spongebob's butt into the sky. Uncalled for, but we've seen that coming.

What do I think of this episode? Spongebob pushes his pet too hard and Gary gets injured, yes, but I see the point for that. This episode has some memorable moments: people mistaking Squidward's last name, a fan taking the host's job temporarily, the joke with Larry Luciano being too slow to light up the torch, the 'snail made out of bread' line. In contrast to the slow snail race, the way Gary partakes in the competition gives us that exciting feeling when he begins to break. Spongebob was at least caring to his pet snail, from defending Gary in front of Squidward to coming over to his side and admitting his mistakes after Gary's breakdown. It's not perfect, it's not my favorite, it's not in a way I'd call this a dud, I just find this sublime. 

7.3/10

I have a love it/eh it's ok it relationship with this episode. For one, this has so many classic moments like the constant mispronunciation of Squidward's last name, to the random Sandy cutaway about kicking SpongeBob's butt, and of course Patrick/Rocky.

Then of course, as mentioned previously, the eh it's ok portion. SpongeBob going OOC to push Gary to his limits was slightly funny since they were parodying the whole Rocky training montage, which I love. But of course, it just felt wrong to watch SpongeBob being the way he was.

That doesn't justify me to hate this episode though. At least SpongeBob doesn't go to extreme hate it with how he treated Gary in certain episodes post movie. So I would probably give this a 3.9/5.

• Like 1

It was cool and all with the emotions and all personally. Sandy, why was she shoehorned in? If she HAD to be in they could've arrested her in some deleted scene thing I heard about. Otherwise it had good humor to it, and there was no cruelty, unless you count the crowd cheering for Gary blowing up. Should've kept Snellie as a recurring character though.

Okay, let's get a last-minute review in here.

Spoiler

This is a good episode to compare and contrast with Party Pooper Pants. Both episodes have SpongeBob straying from his happy-go-lucky personality into something different, and both get fairly negative reactions, especially for the lauded season they're in. I made my thoughts for Party Pooper Pants clear, but what are my thoughts on this episode?

While it still has little things I like about it that make the episode classic Season 3 (Patrick suddenly being in SpongeBob's house at the beginning, the whole thing with Patrick standing on Squidward's shoulders), I don't think SpongeBob's character transition works very well here. It just... comes the hell out of nowhere when he starts yelling at Gary. I mean, of course I get why SpongeBob is behaving this way. We wouldn't have an episode if he didn't. But one of the defining aspects of SpongeBob's character, I think, is that he's highly impressionable. He wouldn't suddenly become some hard-ass coach-like character on his own. If he saw someone else doing it first, then maybe. But to go from the character we're familiar with to stereotypical trainer with little buildup is really sudden. While this persona did make for some good lines ("Raw eggs, because they're cliché!"), it's just not SpongeBob.

Party Pooper Pants works because not only does SpongeBob get the "plan every last detail" idea from the party planner kit, it's also a side of his personality that we've seen before. Remember his list in Dying for Pie? I suppose SpongeBob does admittedly have a competitive side, like in Employee of the Month, but it ties in to his love for routine and familiarity (he's won the award so many times in the past). It's not enough for me to take that and suspend my disbelief that SpongeBob suddenly knows how to train his snail for the sake of competition.

Yeah, this is not one of my favourite episodes from Season 3. While it does have good lines and details here and there, and I would still consider it a decent episode, it expects too much suspension of disbelief and ultimately relies on cliché rather than character for SpongeBob, which stops being funny pretty quickly.

Grade: B

055a%20-%20The%20Great%20Snail%20Race%20

Okay, maybe I'll give it some bonus points for having the happiest mailman in the world.

• Like 1

Okay, let's get a last-minute review in here.

Spoiler

This is a good episode to compare and contrast with Party Pooper Pants. Both episodes have SpongeBob straying from his happy-go-lucky personality into something different, and both get fairly negative reactions, especially for the lauded season they're in. I made my thoughts for Party Pooper Pants clear, but what are my thoughts on this episode?

While it still has little things I like about it that make the episode classic Season 3 (Patrick suddenly being in SpongeBob's house at the beginning, the whole thing with Patrick standing on Squidward's shoulders), I don't think SpongeBob's character transition works very well here. It just... comes the hell out of nowhere when he starts yelling at Gary. I mean, of course I get why SpongeBob is behaving this way. We wouldn't have an episode if he didn't. But one of the defining aspects of SpongeBob's character, I think, is that he's highly impressionable. He wouldn't suddenly become some hard-ass coach-like character on his own. If he saw someone else doing it first, then maybe. But to go from the character we're familiar with to stereotypical trainer with little buildup is really sudden. While this persona did make for some good lines ("Raw eggs, because they're cliché!"), it's just not SpongeBob.

Party Pooper Pants works because not only does SpongeBob get the "plan every last detail" idea from the party planner kit, it's also a side of his personality that we've seen before. Remember his list in Dying for Pie? I suppose SpongeBob does admittedly have a competitive side, like in Employee of the Month, but it ties in to his love for routine and familiarity (he's won the award so many times in the past). It's not enough for me to take that and suspend my disbelief that SpongeBob suddenly knows how to train his snail for the sake of competition.

Yeah, this is not one of my favourite episodes from Season 3. While it does have good lines and details here and there, and I would still consider it a decent episode, it expects too much suspension of disbelief and ultimately relies on cliché rather than character for SpongeBob, which stops being funny pretty quickly.

Grade: B

055a%20-%20The%20Great%20Snail%20Race%20

Okay, maybe I'll give it some bonus points for having the happiest mailman in the world.

well, i understand the hate of that ep but yeah, nice review :)

Wumbo, I hope you don't mind that I'm going to start the discussion.

ALRIGHT, today is my pick and you already know it. We're going to discuss...

556.png

Okay, I really wanted to talk about this episode in a long time. I can understand why everyone hates this episode so much because Mrs. Puff is bloodthirsty, SpongeBob was oblivious and he made Mrs. Puff a cripple fish that will never puff again (right?) but actually I like the premise of this episode. Sure Mrs. Puff trying to kill SpongeBob is wrong and Mrs. Puff can be nice to SpongeBob sometimes but It's actually understandable why Mrs. Puff want SpongeBob to die. After all these years, SpongeBob's car accidents made Mrs. Puff go to either jail or hospital and this time when SpongeBob made Mrs. Puff finally cripple, Mrs. Puff had enough with SpongeBob and she wants him to die. The concept is actually clever, If you ask me because the writers took a risk for making Mrs. Puff a bloodthristy person and It actually worked. One Coarse Meal is another dark story but I hate this episode with a burning passion because Mr. Krabs laughing at Plankton commiting suicide and Mr. Krabs is supposed to be a good guy and you guys know that even though Mr. Krabs and Plankton are enemies, Mr. Krabs and Plankton like being enemies of each other (Best Frenemies prooved it) and Mr. Krabs laughing at Plankton commiting suicide is a really out of character for him. Anyway, back to this episode. Poeple also seems to hate this episode because It's too dark for kids show. Umm, hello? A lot of kids shows did lots of concepts before. Remember the Invader Zim episode when Zim makes Dib getting hurt in the past, so he can die (Bad, Bad Rubber Pig) but people don't seem to complain about it. Then the episode of Ren and Stimpy when Ren tries to kill Stimpy just because Stimpy has too many fans and Ren has no fans (Stimpy's Fan Club) but people doesn't seems to complain about it. Same with most of Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes. My point is that I found people hating this episode just because It's not for a kids show stupid. Okay, maybe Mrs. Puff being bloodthristy is a bit too far but that's still not an excuse for disliking it. Okay, I have to admit that this episode has a few problems, despite Mrs. Puff being bloodthristy, I hated SpongeBob's characterization in this episode because at the begining, he knows that Mrs. Puff is going to pop after one last accident but SpongeBob still did the accident and Mrs. Puff became cripple. In fact, he kinda made fun of Mrs. Puff being cripple, "from now on I guess we'll have to call you 'Mrs. Pop'. Dahaha.". No wonder why Mrs. Puff want him to die. To be honest, SpongeBob characterization in this episode made me anger more than Mrs. Puff wanting him to die. There's also the ending, which the main problem of this episode. When Mrs. Puff became cripple, the doctor said she will never puff again. Then why Mrs. Puff puffed at the ending. That makes no sense. And besides I didn't like how Mrs. Puff didn't get arrested for killing SpongeBob. That's ironic. In some of Boating School episodes, Mrs. Puff gets arrested because of SpongeBob's actions but when Mrs. Puff did something wrong, she didn't get arrested. I think I'm done with my problems with this episode. Now lets get to the posities of this episode. Like I said before, I really like the concept of this episode because not only the writers took a risk, this is also a dark concept and I love those dark concepts. The demolotion derby scenes were both funny and enjoyable at the same time. Also I did laugh at a few times like when the doctor puts a shot in Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob, so they can pass out (good idea, doctor). Besides a few flaws, I really like this episode because I love the concept and I liked demolotion derby scenes. I do agree that kids shouldn't watch this episode because It's too dark and disturbing bt I still like the episode. So I'm going to give this episode 7.5/10 (B ) It's okay, If you hate this episode though, I can understand.

What do you think about this episode?

• Like 3

Excellent! Trophy, please have your pick ready for next week.

Yeah yeah yeah I know I'll get it done. 

So Demolition Doofus, it's alright, no matter how over the top Mrs. Puff was, it's just a cartoon ngbbs4da3478a8c4ce.jpg

The actual idea of a Demolition Derby was a great idea. Overall I give this episode an 8/10. Sorry for the short review, I just haven't watched it in a while.

• Like 1