• Advertisement

Return of the SBC Episode Club!

Wumbo

Here's my Tea at The Treedome review.

To me, this episode is the first funny episode that we've seen from the show. It's not perfect but It has a really good humor here, unlike Help Wanted and Reef Blower. A lot funny stuff happen here like SpongeBob jumping to the bird pool and "I NEED IT". This episode also has a dark humor but this episode uses it very well. Altgough It's confuising that people don't hate this episode for SpongeBob and Patrick drowning but people hate Bubble Trobles for Sandy running out of oxygen. That makes no sense. Yeah, SpongeBob and Patrick caused all this in Bubble Troubles but at least they fixed the problem and Sandy survived. Also Tea at the Treedome is a lot more disturbing, If you ask me. It's okay to hate Bubble Troubles though. Anyway.

This episode also introduces one of the best SB characters, Sandy. She is really energic and really nice in this episode and that's what I love most about Sandy.

This is definetly not good as Help Wanted because Help Wanted is a lot more memorable, important and interesing for the show but If you want to know which episode does a better job at making people laugh, It's this episode. 9/10

I love the donut of shame!, It is amazing.

What can i say, the biggest problem with the newer spongebob episodes is patrick being a jerk.

In this episode, patrick thinks he stole spongebobs donut, feels bad about it and tries to hide it, in really digusting places,patrick admits he stole his donut, and spongebob says that's ok. They show a tape of patrick giving it to him as a bday present. Patrick shares the donut with spongebob, it makes spongebob sick and the episode ends.

It's great to see patrick being nice in the newer episodes, the only real flaw with it is the ending, but it's still a great episode.

I was too lazy to re-review.

Rating: 8/10.

I got lazy again so that means I have to make a review to shed some light.

SpongeGuard on Duty

Looking back, this episode seemed to be adequate than excellent for me. The episode starts off normally before we see Larry the Lobster....no, actually he's Larry the lifeguard. Spongebob think it's really cool to be a lifeguard and tries to be like Larry while Patrick walks a different direction about the idea of being a lifeguard. If Spongebob isn't as cool as Larry, he proclaims that he would be struck by a flying ice cream truck (and live), and apparently, that's what keeps the plot going: a flying ice cream truck, that actually appears at random through Spongebob's spoken words. Spongebob is a silly show, it's only a cartoon, I know. If gathering information through backtracking for the entire plot means getting yourself pivoted all the way back to a cause like a flying ice cream truck, then I'd prefer something more subtle.

Enough with the informal talk, after Spongebob gets hit by the truck, "white stuff," or vanilla ice cream, gets onto his nose, Larry stats believing that Spongebob was and is a lifeguard. And so, Spongebob gets his chance to hang with the cool crowd, but realizes that lifeguards have responsibilities, mainly saving anybody from drowning. Because Spongebob fears that Larry will figure out that he can't swim to save lives and even risk his own, proving his lack of skill as a lifeguard, Spongebob tries so much to insure that the beachgoers are out of the water at all costs.

Now let's talk about the the jokes. The jokes here are pretty funny, if not incredibly hilarious. They're still memorable though. Some moments I'd mention are the sea monster and shark gag and the part with Patrick's stomach. As the episode continues on, Patrick carelessly waltzes into Goo Lagoon and drowns after a cramp. When Spongebob realizes that Patrick is in danger, he has to go and rescue him while trying not to expose himself as a phony.

In the end, Spongebob gets himself in the same situation as Patrick, and Larry comes to save the two from drowning after he was gone, immediately realizing that Spongebob is not a lifeguard. Final thoughts? I'll start with how tedious it gets seeing Patrick waving his arms around and emerging/submerging for most of the conflict. Patrick inadvertently destroying Spongebob's boat is one thing I didn't like about his stupidity during the episode, it just doesn't give me amusement. I'm not too thrilled with the plot behind Spongebob becoming a lifeguard because it's "cool," then again, there's Wigstruck where Spongebob wears a wig because he thinks it is "cool." There's also the Liar Revealed cliche. It probably didn't completely lose its meaning during 2002, but it's still there. Lastly, I liked Scooter better when he was a goofball than saying "Get your butt in the water!" Most of the plot makes sense and the characters don't perform horribly, but SpongeGuard has its flaws.

6.5/10. At least a C- and where it's almost at the close shave of getting a regular C.

I love SpongeGuard on Duty. I have considered the episode underrated ever since it won the Worst Episode Ever contest for Season 3 on TV.com twice (probably should consider reviving these games on here since it would at least give the SB games section activity). But my thoughts for it have always been the same. My only minor complaint is how prolonged the gag is that SpongeBob can't swim to go save Patrick and it's so minor of a complaint that it honestly doesn't bother me. That's just Season 3 in a nutshell that so many episodes are great that even the minor flaws don't take away from an episode's greatness.

9.5/10

• Like 2