• Advertisement

Return of the SBC Episode Club!

Wumbo

At first I was bothered by SpongeBob abuse in this episode but now I realize that he kinda deserves it because he was being too bossy about his party. I really like this one honestly and I find it really underrated. Sure, It isn't perfect and It has a few problems but there are some good humor in this episode such as punch phone joke and Mrs. Puff stwitching the window and Patchy segment was hilarious. The only problems that I had with this episode are the polices and the ending. The polices arrested SpongeBob for not invinting them. Seriously? Okay, SpongeBob may deserve to not get inside of his house and his party but did he really deserve to get arrested? NO!!! The ending was a really bad way to end this special because SpongeBob realized that there is a key under his doormat? WUT? First of all, how can't SpongeBob realized that he has a doormat. Second of all, there wasn't even a doormat under the door until SpongeBob got out of the jail and go to his home. These are my only problems with this episode. It's still a great episode and It's far away from one of the worst pre-movie episodes. 8.5/10

When can I start picking?

I already inserted my two cents here but I'll gladly copy and paste my review.

"Fear of a Krabby Patty"

What better way to start off this thread than by reviewing the last episode of the pre-movie writers. Now because of this, I feel like many obligate it as one of the best of the season. I'm not generalizing everyone or anyone on this site for having these thoughts, but I remember many saying that back during my tv.com days (ohai tvfan95). Anyway, my emphasis for this review is this.

Just because it has nostalgia SpongeBob writers, does this make it good?

I will admit that the humor in this is probably some of the most memorable of Season 4. The whole sequence between "Dr. Peter Lankton" and SpongeBob is my favorite part of the episode from the recurring piano gag to cellphones being considered loud and obnoxious. I just enjoyed all three-four minutes of it. Unfortunately for me, the rest of the episode is nowhere near as good as that.

One of my most nit-picky problems with this episode is the premise of the Krusty Krab being open 24 hours. This is the first post-movie SpongeBob to borrow a premise from Seasons 1-3 SpongeBob and I'm not a fan of reusing old ideas for any television show. Not just SpongeBob. The only way to make such an idea work is if they execute the episode better than they did the first time. Which to me, The Graveyard Shift is up there on my favorite SpongeBob episodes. So of course I'm going to prefer it more than Fear of a Krabby Patty alone. My main problem is how things changed this time around with Mr. Krabs also staying awake 24 hours along with SpongeBob and Patrick. I thought he pointed out in The Graveyard Shift that he had a life and that's why he couldn't stick around. If this comes off as me complaining, I just want to point out that it's only a minor nitpick that kind of bugs me a bit.

Otherwise, my main problem with this episode is that I just find it rather boring. Everything about it was hit or miss to me. Like for example, I thought the potential idea that SpongeBob's lack of sleep causing him to be afraid of krabby patties had potential. Yet the road getting there was just weak with SpongeBob impossibly getting tired until Plankton's 10,000 patty order caused him to finally break. That just did not work for me. At least I find the minor moments to get a laugh out of me like the bags under Squidward's bags of eyes and SpongeBob screaming at some dude's hideous shirt. Even then though, the episode had minor miss moments too like Old Man Jenkins flying out of nowhere wondering what was going on...which he wasn't alone since I wonder if the viewing audience wondered what he was doing there too.

Even the episode ends rather abruptly. While I do laugh everytime at the "in your arteries" line, I still feel like the whole sequence was rather corny, even if it was a dream. Oh and the 23 hours being open is enough bit...yeah no one believes that. I certainly don't in a non-canon show like SpongeBob. I do understand that they had to rap up that loose end, so it's not to big a concern.

So yeah, that's Fear of a Krabby Patty in a nutshell for me. I consider it a miss for me, but I think the episode itself isn't bad or anything. I just think that for talented writers like Greenblatt and Tibbitt, this episode could have been executed a lot better if it was trying to be a better version of The Graveyard Shift. The potential was there with Plankton trying to use the 24 hour Krusty Krab premise to try and crack the formula out of SpongeBob, but the road getting there was just a disappointment for me. At least the sequence of Plankton trying to get the formula out of SpongeBob is one of my favorite sequences this season.

3/5

• Like 1

My choice, Demolotion Doofus, will be revivewed 2 weeks later, right?

That's correct.

Once again guys, I would prefer if you save your episode choice until the week of discussion.

• Like 1

Okay, maybe I'm not being clear.

SAVE YOUR EPISODE CHOICE UNTIL IT IS YOUR WEEK TO CHOOSE ONE.

This is the whole POINT of first come, first served. So we pick episodes in order. It's also meant to be a reveal as to what the next episode is going to be. Also, posting what your episode will be derails the topic from the current episode of discussion. 

If you would like to sign up for picking an episode, simply say "I would like to sign up" in this thread or shoot me a PM. PLEASE. STOP. PICKING. EPISODES. PREMATURELY.

• Like 2

This is the whole POINT of first come, first served. So we pick episodes in order. It's also meant to be a reveal as to what the next episode is going to be. Also, posting what your episode will be derails the topic from the current episode of discussion. 

If you would like to sign up for picking an episode, simply say "I would like to sign up" in this thread or shoot me a PM. PLEASE. STOP. PICKING. EPISODES. PREMATURELY.

yes please

And now that my frustration-fueled rant is out of the way, on to the episode rant:

Spoiler

So, here's the first episode of Season 4! An important one to discuss, as it signifies what many believe to be a huge change in the show we know and love. That is, a huge drop in quality. Is the drop quite so sudden? Well, if we're judging on the merits of this episode alone, I'm gonna say no, but I do believe cracks begin to show.

Those cracks, I think, have to do with a lack of new ideas. The writers were entering this episode fresh off a bombastic, spectacular movie, so it's fair to say that going back to the regular episodes is bound to disappoint in some aspects. Even though the movie takes place after the entire series, where can one go at this point that will excite the viewers and welcome back SpongeBob episodes into their hearts?

See, I don't know what the right answer is, but the wrong answer is "Graveyard Shift 2.0".

Now, this is a common complaint about this episode, so I won't harp on it too much, not only because it's oversaid, but because I do believe that they run with the idea in a different enough way that it's nowhere near a carbon copy. But when you've already had The Krusty Krab open for 24 hours, and you do it again... it's just really not the way a comeback to the series should be structured. Even SpongeBob's mental breakdown is almost reminiscent of "Pickles". It's like a bunch of different re-used plots mushed together.

Things do pick up at the Peter Lankton part, which is definitely the best part of the episode. It too, I feel is reminiscent of a previous episode (i.e. "Welcome to the Chum Bucket"), but I feel like it only copies the episode in its style of humour, with the characters used. And the humour in WTTCB is truly hilarious, so I have no qualms with that. I also thought that the look inside SpongeBob's head was a cool idea, complete with an E.T. reference that was just gold. But even this segment I have a problem with, because SpongeBob's overstated naivety begins to rear its ugly head. I'm solely talking about his going to that psychiatrist's building where the Chum Bucket used to be. I mean, I know his brain is fried and everything, but him not recognizing that it was The Chum Bucket still kinda threw me off.

All that said, there were still enough charms in this episode that made it fun to watch. I thought the background fish were used really well here, particularly the red fish at the beginning. His nonchalant reactions to Mr. Krabs' rage are pretty much exactly what I expect of the background fish; totally unnecessary, but quirky and funny. Old Man Jenkins' fourth wall break was great too.

The episode also writes Plankton well, even though he's a hard character to screw up, since he started out as an evil caricature. Still, his ever-growing frustration with SpongeBob is evident both in the writing and the voice acting. It's really funny to see the subtleties gradually amount to him screaming through a megaphone at SpongeBob to WAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUP!

Overall, this episode has its faults, but it also has its high points, and even though the cracks of post-movie start to show, they aren't enough to ruin a good start to Season 4.

Grade: B+

281.png

SpongeBob, looking about as cracked as that egg.

• Like 1

I truly don't like Fear of a Krabby Patty. I suppose it serves its purpose for what SpongeBob is: a kids' show. The enjoyment I've always gotten out of it is its attractiveness amongst older folks. This episode doesn't appeal in that way. It's a pity, this is what signified to me SpongeBob's true shift from an older-oriented show to a true childrens' show. It is incredibly dull. Not much happens. I suppose it's funny in a few parts. The episode lacks typical SpongeBob charm is what I'm getting at. 

It was really interesting. Liked it. A bit scary just like Graveyard Shift or Ghoul Fools. Wasn't bad. The abomination Krabby Patties were pretty bad, though.

sorry, im just too eager to review this episode, cause it was nothing but filler, and i needed to get it out of my system

• Like 1

sorry, im just too eager to review this episode, cause it was nothing but filler, and i needed to get it out of my system

It's not your turn to pick an episode. We're currently reviewing Fear of a Krabby Patty. If you want to vent out your issues with SpongeBob, You're Fired before it is ever picked here, you could do so in its discussion topic in the Season 9 forum.

• Like 1

yHbqDjX.png

Beautiful graphic courtesy of the beautiful Nuggets.

So, The Episode Club was something we tried having before but unfortunately, things didn't quite work out. But now that we have new users and new opinions, the staff has agreed to bring it back!

Essentially, The Episode Club will be held bi-weekly, with a new SpongeBob episode for members to discuss. The episode chosen will rotate among the members of the club, and there will be opinions, opinions, opinions!

Get your arguments ready for why you like or why you dislike an episode, because this isn't your average Episode Discussion rodeo: You need to try as hard as you can to make your reviews or comments thoughtful and thorough. You don't need to write like the Dickens, but we want more than "good ep" and "7/10", basically.

The details will be ironed out soon enough, but get excited for this summer!!!11

Episode pick sign-up sheet:

Nuggets - The Clash of Triton

Wumbo - Bubble Buddy Returns

EvSpongeFan - Party Pooper Pants

More_SpongeBob_Sandy - Fear of a Krabby Patty

SOF 

SB_DW_Fan -

Trophy -

Clappy -

ZaidCatDog -

allright im ready for my ep.

yes, i am moving my Spongebob Your Fired Review.

OK FoaKB

People say THIS WAS THE START OF SPONGEBOB'S DOWNFALL! B-b-b-ut what!??! That's insane! Just because it was in s4 doesn't automatically make it bad. This episode and it's partner Shell Of A Man, and many others in this season are some of my favorites. OK let's dive into the episode. 24 hours, so Graveyard Shift you think, BUT NO! It turns into stress related work, which is quite funny to see SpongeBob driven to insanity. "I told you that shirt was hideous."  :hysterical: Then we go to therapy, which has the funniest gags in the show. Sure the pianos hurt Plankton, but it was out of nowhere, so it JUST WORKS! The dream is out of nowhere, but it works, even by logic, to relieve stress, you need sleep. Then Plankton's closing line about therapy. <3. This episode in a nutshell is 10/10. A work of art, one of the best things to please myself when needing a good cartoon episode. 

And now that my frustration-fueled rant is out of the way, on to the episode rant:

Spoiler

So, here's the first episode of Season 4! An important one to discuss, as it signifies what many believe to be a huge change in the show we know and love. That is, a huge drop in quality. Is the drop quite so sudden? Well, if we're judging on the merits of this episode alone, I'm gonna say no, but I do believe cracks begin to show.

Those cracks, I think, have to do with a lack of new ideas. The writers were entering this episode fresh off a bombastic, spectacular movie, so it's fair to say that going back to the regular episodes is bound to disappoint in some aspects. Even though the movie takes place after the entire series, where can one go at this point that will excite the viewers and welcome back SpongeBob episodes into their hearts?

See, I don't know what the right answer is, but the wrong answer is "Graveyard Shift 2.0".

Now, this is a common complaint about this episode, so I won't harp on it too much, not only because it's oversaid, but because I do believe that they run with the idea in a different enough way that it's nowhere near a carbon copy. But when you've already had The Krusty Krab open for 24 hours, and you do it again... it's just really not the way a comeback to the series should be structured. Even SpongeBob's mental breakdown is almost reminiscent of "Pickles". It's like a bunch of different re-used plots mushed together.

Things do pick up at the Peter Lankton part, which is definitely the best part of the episode. It too, I feel is reminiscent of a previous episode (i.e. "Welcome to the Chum Bucket"), but I feel like it only copies the episode in its style of humour, with the characters used. And the humour in WTTCB is truly hilarious, so I have no qualms with that. I also thought that the look inside SpongeBob's head was a cool idea, complete with an E.T. reference that was just gold. But even this segment I have a problem with, because SpongeBob's overstated naivety begins to rear its ugly head. I'm solely talking about his going to that psychiatrist's building where the Chum Bucket used to be. I mean, I know his brain is fried and everything, but him not recognizing that it was The Chum Bucket still kinda threw me off.

All that said, there were still enough charms in this episode that made it fun to watch. I thought the background fish were used really well here, particularly the red fish at the beginning. His nonchalant reactions to Mr. Krabs' rage are pretty much exactly what I expect of the background fish; totally unnecessary, but quirky and funny. Old Man Jenkins' fourth wall break was great too.

The episode also writes Plankton well, even though he's a hard character to screw up, since he started out as an evil caricature. Still, his ever-growing frustration with SpongeBob is evident both in the writing and the voice acting. It's really funny to see the subtleties gradually amount to him screaming through a megaphone at SpongeBob to WAAAAAKE UUUUUUUUP!

Overall, this episode has its faults, but it also has its high points, and even though the cracks of post-movie start to show, they aren't enough to ruin a good start to Season 4.

Grade: B+

281.png

SpongeBob, looking about as cracked as that egg.

Why would you call it a rant if the episode was good?