• Advertisement

Return of the SBC Episode Club!

Wumbo

Yo, two-part post here, so forgive my DOUBLE POSTING OHMAGAWWWWWDDD (Edit: Thanks Cha and SOF for making me not have to desecrate my reputation.)

First: If you would like to suggest an episode for Episode discussion, sign up in this thread! First come, first served. Episodes will be picked every two weeks. You don't have to be on the list to discuss an episode, but you do have to be on the list to get the chance to pick one.

Second, I just watched this episode, so here is my review:

Spoiler

One of the most notorious complaints that people have about Seasons 6 and forward is that the specials are not special anymore. This certainly rings true with "The Clash of Triton". While it has its high points, it is not up to par with many of the classic episodes that take up the length of two regular episodes.

The main problem, as others have said before, is the pacing. It makes me wonder if this could have been solved if it had been a regular-length episode. Cut out the intro, start with The Krusty Krab. Trim down that backstory some. maybe even to the final scene. And oh my Lord, cut out some of that scene with SpongeBob and Patrick on the island, giving Triton a little more time to go reckless.

The pacing isn't the only reason this should have been condensed, however. This plot simply does not seem special enough to warrant a double-lengther. We've had a Neptune episode in the past, and this one deserves to be double-length about as much as that one. Unfortunately, the fact that it's double-length does not help to enhance the plot, but rather to show that the writers didn't have their pacing correct. It seems like it was made double-length because the writers didn't know how to make it regular-length, but rather it fell somewhere awkwardly in between, and rather than cut, the writers decided to add.

Other than the pacing, and the fact that it really didn't deserve to be full-length, the episode plays out nicely. Everybody's character quirks are on point and add flair, the role of the townspeople in the episode was funny, and Neptune and Triton themselves were great characters. Nuggets brings up supposed references to the royal family, and I definitely got that vibe from this episode. It made the payoff at the end all the funnier to me; somewhat of a metaphor for how the royal family basically pisses all over everybody and the common folk drink it like it's lemonade.

Overall, this episode wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it doesn't deserve the hype that Nickelodeon supposedly gave it, either. If it was condensed into a regular-length episode, I feel like that would solve a lot of its problems.

Grade: B-

1278539110_3.jpg

I'm sorry, were you guys planning on sleeping tonight?

• Like 3

One of the primary complaints regarding this episode was how much hype this gave and how this was leading to an epic clash...but that didn't happen.

I watched this episode for the first time due to it being up there on that SBC Worst Episode Ever Countdown. I tried my best to view this episode as not a special, but it was just so boring. Like I had such a hard time viewing it when I hated the character of Triton to begin with. Like there was nothing likeable about him and nothing worth redeeming for me. Plus the backstory behind Triton was so boring. It took up way too much of the episode for me.

I'm tempted to rewatch it since I only saw it once and barely remember anything else but it's bad that a special was this forgetable.

3/10

Ready?

Spoiler

The episode started off on the wrong foot before it even aired. Plain and simple. The title and the promotional treatment it got did the episode zero favors. We were all expecting one thing because that's what we were allegedly promised, but we didn't get it. We got nothing. Not only does "The Clash of Triton" not make any grammatical sense (unless someone wants to correct me, I don't think you can have a clash of someone), it gives the wrong first impression of the episode. You hear the word clash, you expect some sort of... well, clash, and that didn't really happen. Triton and Neptune meet, and there's a... scuffle? Skirmish? Altercation? It's definitely something, but it's definitely not a clash. Clash makes me think epic battle, and this was not that. I suppose you can make an argument saying Neptune and Triton "clashed" in terms of views, but that's just not exciting. It's more misleading than anything. 

To make a comparison, remember the Fairly Odd Parents special Wishology? We were presented with the big bad being, well, the big bad. It wanted to destroy the universe. Timmy had to acquire three weapons to defeat it. The minions of the big bad tried to kill Timmy on more than one occasion throughout the entire trilogy. And then the rug was pulled out of under us, and the special ended with Timmy giving the monster a hug so it could become the Niceness (or something like that). Throughout each episode, it was made apparent that this was a huge deal and that Timmy was supposed to be a huge hero that needed to defeat this thing, and he didn't, and I know I was disappointed. That's not to say that the resolution wasn't in-line with the show - it was. It totally was. It just meant that they built it up as one thing and then it turned out to be something else, which they shouldn't have done.

Clash of Triton was built up to be this epic showdown and the debut of Neptune's son. HIS SON. That's huge. That's monumental. And it totally dropped the ball and pulled the rug out from under us. Which I would've been fine with, if it wasn't promoted as something that it wasn't.

Speaking of Neptune and his son, I think I should address the "Royal Family". The whole Royal Family in this episode was totally unlikable and had zero redeeming qualities between the three of them. Neptune never came off as that much of an asshat in his previous episodes or the movie (he overreacted in the movie, sure, but at least his reaction was provoked by something and not just him being a douche). Amphitrite was boring, which is the biggest sin a character can commit (seriously, it could've just been Neptune and Triton and I wouldn't have noticed a thing), and Triton was just... terrible. From his design to his voice, he's one of the worst characters I've seen on TV. He would've been so much more interesting if he kept his sympathy for mortals. He could've been one of the coolest characters - one of the best written characters in the series, even. He spends all that time in the cage and he still hasn't changed his views? He wants to be a different king than his dad, who has nothing but contempt for sealife (for whatever reason)? Seriously. Why couldn't they have had the conflict not be resolved, but have Neptune and Triton at least have respect for one another?

They sacrificed that so they could show Bikini Bottom being destroyed for no reason, and then Neptune, Triton, and Amphitrite galavanting off like it's not their problem. The characters were too awful, and bonding over hating everyone who isn't them is just bad writing. What'd that even teach? Don't give the time of day to anyone who's beneath you? Great message, Spongebob.

Speaking of Spongebob, he got the brunt of his own stupidity... which, uh, shouldn't ever happen. It shows that he's wrong. Spongebob can't be wrong, he's the main character. His optimism and cheerfulness can't (or, well, shouldn't, I guess) be compromised by the fallout of whatever he does. He'll stop being Spongebob if he realizes he'll get in trouble for being optimistic. If things go poorly for him, then he needs to fix it, like in the Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy episodes. His optimism kept getting him in trouble, but he kept fixing it because that's who he is. He fixed Manray, he helped turn Barnacle Boy back to the side of justice, hell he got them out of retirement for crying out loud. They hated him and then they liked him, because that's who Spongebob is as a character. When the writers forget that, the episode suffers a misstep. His actions in this episode destroyed the entire town - and that was it. It didn't get fixed. He and Patrick got chased out of town. And that was the end of the episode. What? No. That's not Spongebob. That's some other show that teaches kids that being optimistic is a waste of time because even if your intentions are good then you'll still be wrong.

I won't get into the pacing. Others didn't like it, I didn't mind it - some stuff went on for too long, but overall it was fine. I don't even know how this episode would've gone if it were cut in half. Everything was written so it'd all work together, so you can't really cut any scene out if you still want it to make sense. There's just really not that much fluff. All the content might not be interesting, but it's still all building to something. 

There's some good scattered around, sure. It's not all terrible. The humor was pretty spot-on. Spongebob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward - all on point. I don't know what to say about it that hasn't already been said.

At the end of the day, I give it... I don't know, something low. The writing was unforgivable. Spongebob can't get in trouble. Episodes should never end on that note. It's bad. It shows that the writers don't care as much as they should. Spongebob should have everything go right for him because this isn't a reflection of the real world - this is to teach kids to be optimistic because there's no other way you should be.

• Like 3

It's funny how Triton and Mindy were so much a like even if they're related or not. Both of them had/have a sort of empathy and passion towards people that is really touching. You see Mindy with as tough as her father is, she still didn't loose her integrity. (Then again she didn't get locked up in a cage for nearly a 1,000 years...)

Okay people that signed up, I've got your picks ready. I'd prefer it if you wait until it's your turn to pick an episode to declare what it is (or at least until the person before you has picked their ep), but we can stick with those choices for now since neither of those were going to be my pick.

Since Nuggets picked his episode on Monday, June 30th, I will pick the next episode for discussion on Monday, July 13th. The pattern will continue like so. Until then, keep it going! There's been some great posts in here.

Okay people that signed up, I've got your picks ready. I'd prefer it if you wait until it's your turn to pick an episode to declare what it is (or at least until the person before you has picked their ep), but we can stick with those choices for now since neither of those were going to be my pick.

Since Nuggets picked his episode on Monday, June 30th, I will pick the next episode for discussion on Monday, July 13th. The pattern will continue like so. Until then, keep it going! There's been some great posts in here.

can i pick after your 1st pick? :P

Spoiler

A good episode to review, what with Nuggets' thread about implementing more continuity into Spongebob.

After 6 seasons, Bubble Buddy finally makes a return - sorta. It's more about his son Shiny, which is... fine, I guess. I wanted more Bubble Buddy, but I'll take what I can get. I don't know why the writers suddenly had Bubble Buddy become relevant again (running out of ideas, maybe), but they did! And I'm glad! It shows that things can actually happen in this world and there isn't really a magical reset button at the end of each episode that makes everything go back to normal. Mr. Krabs even referenced Bubble Buddy owing him money, back when he ordered everything in his debut. Good job, writers!

Beyond that, though, I didn't think it was that great. It was just Spongebob running around and trying to save Shiny from wherever they were, which was, um, what's the word? Boring. I like that they sort of acknowledged that it was tiring near the end when Spongebob just sort of trudged into the pitchfork pantry, and I did genuinely enjoy the pillow foundry bit, but other than that it was more of the same for 9 minutes.

Now don't get me wrong - more of the same for 9 minutes could be fine! Just watch "Bubble Buddy". The whole joke of the episode is "he's a bubble!", and every joke is built off of that. Cleaning Pearl's fin, taking forever in the bathroom, paying with bubble money - he's a bubble! Get it?!

The same thing is more or less implemented here, too. "He's a bubble" is the joke they're using, but... not that well. Almost getting popped in Squidward's house, almost getting popped in town, almost getting popped in town... almost getting popped in town.... almost getting popped in town... - he's a... bubble... get it? Hmm...

So, that's the problem I have with this. It's the same joke, just played out differently (except for in town, when it's the same exact thing four times in a row). Bubble Buddy had an impact on his surroundings, and there was a conflict and a resolution and it all played out rather nicely. He's a bubble and it pisses everyone off, they try to pop him, he stops it, he flies off in his bubble car. The end. This episode didn't have an interesting conflict/resolution like that, because Shiny wasn't really a character like Bubble Buddy was. I don't know what he was, but he was boring. The comedy came from Spongebob and his reactions instead of Shiny and his actions (which is where a good portion of the humor in "Bubble Buddy" came from).

Part of me is glad that the writers are digging into the past (at least for this one episode), and the other part of me wants the past to stay untouched because they haven't needed to do that yet and if they keep having to do it then that's a sign that there's something wrong, and there was definitely something wrong here.

Even though I really think season 8 is a great season, there are a few season 8 episodes that I didn't really care much and this is one of them. It's actually not a bad episode but It's not a good one. The main problem I have with this episode is the lack of Bubble Buddy. When I heard this episode, I actually thought Bubble Buddy will appear in most of this episode but we saw him only in the flashback and at the end. Instead of the return of Bubble Buddy, this episode turned out to be a typical babysitting plot. Even though the episode isn't really original, It has a change to be a really funny episode because SpongeBob is great at making simple ideas into funny episodes but the humor in this episode was low. Most of the humor comes from the visiual scenes. I found some of them funny (the scene when Gary saw his reflection on Shiny's face and Shiny flying around Mr. Krabs were the funniest), some of them really repetitive or too random. Maybe the episode could have been much better, If It had some good jokes just like Bubble Buddy episode had but sadly there weren't much jokes and even If this episode had some jokes, I missed it. There's one joke that I did like in this episode though: "Bubbles today, they don't seem to understand the value of money" (Mr. Krabs). The episode was also really slow and It can really bore people most of the time. This episode is still not bad though. There were some good visual humor, I really liked Shiny and seeing Bubble Buddy again was good, even though he was only at the end of the episode. 6.5/10

It's was very cool to see the writers NOT forget about Bubble Buddy. I like the original episode. This episode is really meh. I mean Shiny is cute, but very annoying. The episode isn't bad, it could have been better. Not many jokes, but interesting to see.

My rating: 6/10

BB Returns was a good episode, but Shiny got annoying after a while. 7/10

Spoiler

for my choice to review if we're still doing this is Single Cell Anniversary

Oh I forgot to add a better idea for the episode.

Bubble Buddy returns to Bikini Bottom to have fun, but he accidentally causes mayhem, while a burning crops and tilt the lifeguard reference happens in a 10 second cameo.

Bubble Buddy Returns was an interesting episode. I don't remember it well, so I'm going by what I know. 

The episode could have been a away to get some good ol' classic characters back. But honestly, 6 Seasons is a little too late for that. Another thing is Bubble Buddy was barely in the episode, thus the star was his son, who was more of a troublemaker than he was. The running gag of sharp objects gets a little boring after a while, taking up too much of the episode. Not really that nostalgic after all. I'd say Glove World RIP was a much better way to do this.

3.5/10

Bringing back old characters, themes and places in SpongeBob can go wrong i.e. Glove World R.I.P. ; The Clash of Triton. It can go right i.e. okay, I can't recall one that was very great, but once DoodleBob returns in an episode this post my change. But in this episode's case, it can go straight down the middle. This episode was good in a few areas and bad in a couple others. The main and in one way or another only large fault I found in the episode is the disappointing lack of Bubble Buddy and for some odd reason replaced by his son Shiny does literally absolutely nothing. If I didn't know any better, I would think Shiny is some sort of toy. On the other hand, the episode's humor isn't half bad and the plot isn't horrible to the point where I can barely watch it. Overall, while the episode really disappointed me in the lack of screen time Bubble Buddy got, I did enjoy watching it after I got over my disappointment and just watched it for what I got. I give this episode a good six out of ten. Still, DoodleBob returning would be great.

• Like 1