• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2018 Edition

Jjs Goodman

SpongeHenge is just such a mess. It's one of those episodes where I have no idea what exactly the writers' intent was, and it just ends up being so unfocused. 

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

i’m just glad we have all stopped giving a pal for gary The Worst Reputation Of All Time just for one scene we all bandwagoned on instead of actually watching the episode and noticing that it was just kind of boring 

stuck in the wringer meanwhile IS that bad 

• Happy 1
  • God Himself 4

Wow. I didn't expect A Pal for Gary to be overthrown. It's completely deserved though, Stuck on the Wringer is #5 on my list, and I considered putting it higher. Easily one of the most toxic and completely obnoxious episodes ever. A Pal for Gary is awful too and we all know why.

My List:

Spoiler

1. Truth or Square (#17)

2. Sportz? (#30)

3. SpongeBob, You're Fired (#5)

4. Atlantis SquarePantis (#36)

5. Stuck in the Wringer (#1)

6. Boating Buddies (#21)

7. Squid Baby (#6)

8. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (#8)

9. Pet or Pests (#11)

10. Squidward's School for Grown Ups (#39)

11. Choir Boys (#12)

12. Slide Whistle Stooges (#13)

13. Are You Happy Now? (#32)

14. Once Coarse Meal (#3)

15. A Pal for Gary (#2)

16. Ink Lemonade, would be my #1 now (#4)

17. Squid's Visit (#18)

18. The Main Drain (Absent)

19. The Card (Honorable Mention)

20. The Clash of Triton (#7)

21. Gone (#45)

22. SpongeBob's Last Stand (Absent)

23. House Sittin' for Sandy (Absent)

24. Toy Store of Doom (Absent)

25. Rodeo Daze (#20)

Sad The Main Drain is nowhere to be seen but at least The Card was an honorable mention, I hope it can make it next time.

• Happy 2

Ngl I'd rather have half the honorable mentions be number one over APFG, APFG has the dumbest scene but a nice setup, good foreshadowing with Gary's tv show being relevant, and he still did drive Puffy away. People always overreacted to the one scene but Gone's was worse due to it being the literal ending while APFG had more to go off of, so APFG never deserved to be bottom 15, let alone bottom 2 every single time. Come on guys, it's not that bad. Barely worse than Pet Sitter and look how that dropped!

Wringer is that one popular ep I always want on my list but always forget about, nice to see ut as the new one and it's infinitely more deserved.

Googly and Squid Wood should've made it and The Card and Main Drain aren't bad, you guys are just mean to mediocre episodes.

• Happy 1
  • God Himself 1

we finally break the circle folks.

I still hate APFG but I have to admit, i just dont find it as horrendous as everyone thought itd be. still made it higher on my list but yeah.

SITW never had a chance to be good in the first place. the set up was so idiotic. Patrick was such an insulting plot device. Glueing SpongeBob, are you fucking serious? And no, despite what Patrick really tries to be good for SpongeBob, he shouldnt have done it. he should have just feel shitty about it and try to fix the mistake. Instead he was obvlious to SpongeBob's pain, while he's having fun. And I wonder how many times do we have to see another jerkass stupid character thrown in our faces because I'm just done with them. Bikini Bottomies were worse than ever before. Lets all blame SpongeBob for something HE WAS RIGHT ABOUT. Fuck them to death. For a famous show like SpongeBob, it sure has a shitty town. The ending solved nothing, yeya Patrick realized his mistakes but it doesn't excuse that what he did to SpongeBob was unforgiveable. God, Patrick is even worse than Mr. Krabs and Mr. Krabs did shit things as well. Idk if it's really top 1 worthy ep but it sure was one of the worst eps of animation ever What a lazy written, cruel and unfunny episode that had one of the worst premises ever.

I'm so happy to contribute to this list, as well as others. Now we can move on to best, we deserved it.

3 minutes ago, Something the So and So said:

Ngl I'd rather have half tge honorable mentions be number cone over APFG, APFG has the dumbest scene but a nice setup, good foreshadowing with Gary's tv show being relevant, and he still did drive Puffy away. People always overreacted to the one scene but Gone's was worse due to it being the literal ending, so APFG never deserved to be bottom 15, let alone bottom 2 every single time.

Wringer is that one popular ep I always want on my list but always forget about, nice to see ut as the new one and it's infinitely more deserved.

Googly and Squid Wood should've made it and The Card and Majn Drain aren't bad, you guys are just mean to mediocre episodes.

The Main Drain isn't even in honorable mentions smh.

The Card and Sentimental Sponge however, yea...

• Happy 1

...yeah, I probably should have put A Pal for Gary a bit lower. There's worse out there and while it does get the hate it deserves (seeing as how it has perhaps the most infuriating line spoken in the whole show), I'm unsure if I'd really place it at #1 right now; for example, Smoothe Jazz was more infuriating as a whole and a few other episodes were also more infuriating to sit through, while this one was mainly bad in the second half.

As for Stuck in the Wringer, this one mainly turned sour during that infamous scene with Spongebob yelling at Patrick (rightfully, I shall add) and then being turned away by the rest of the town (a scene that I hated even when I was younger), the whole episode had problems throughout. Patrick was much more stupid here than perhaps any other appearance, only being there to ruin Spongebob's life in one way or another. This one made my list at #4, though it probably should've been higher than a few other episodes, making AT LEAST #3.

As for the (dis)honourable mentions...
Sponge-Cano is just sort of alright for me; it's not horrible in my opinion but it is in the weaker half of the already-weak Legends of Bikini Bottom miniseries. 4.5/10
The Googly Artiste is an episode that I haven't watched in a long time, though I remember it being dull. For now, I'll give it a 4/10, though it may be around a 3/10.
Squid Wood is pretty bad. It has little to no merit and the only thing that I can say I enjoyed was how the animation looked par for the course in Season 4. That's it. It made my list.
Sentimental Sponge is more boring to me than anything else. 4/10
I moderately dislike Spongehenge. It made my list and I placed it rather high, though maybe I'd need to reconsider. It's still pretty bad though. 1/10 (for now)
Rule of Dumb is another episode where Patrick was sort of annoying, though I'd have to say this was one of the less bad times where this trait was shown. I don't know, Patrick discovering that he made more than a few mistakes felt more genuine here than in another episode which put Patrick into power, one episode that was really sucky (The Fish Bowl). 6/10
InSPONGEiac is also more... meh to me than anything else. It doesn't deserve to be near this list. 6/10
The Card is a rather infuriating episode. Patrick is just an asshole throughout the episode. 2/10
New Fish in Town was REALLY boring. Painfully boring, in fact. There's nothing really that interesting here. 2/10

And now, for my (painfully lazily thrown together) list:

25. New Fish in Town
24. The Cent of Money
23. Pet Sitter Pat
22. Pineapple Fever
21. A Day Without Tears
20. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom
19. Waiting
18. Tranchbillies
17. The Card
16. The Thing
15. Ink Lemonade
14. Atlantis SquarePantis
13. Truth or Square
12. The Play's the Thing
11. Rodeo Daze
10. Spongehenge
9. Yours, Mine and Mine
8. Pet or Pests
7. Big Sister Sam
6. Choir Boys
5. Stuck in the Wringer
4. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom
3. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy
2. One Coarse Meal
1. A Pal for Gary 

Edited by RDSP
  • Happy 1

Okay, I feel like y'all are taking the complaints for APFG out of context. As someone who still placed it in his Top 10 (albeit not at #1), that scene is moreso a very large straw to break the camel's back coming off of SpongeBob treating Gary like garbage because it's apparently "funny". No, the whole episode isn't horrendous. But it's a lot more than just one scene, geez. When the episode is bad, it's painfully bad. It's The Cent of Money with Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob smashed into one character, as far as SpongeBob's portrayal goes.

I am surprised at the new #1, though it's definitely a deserving contender. Just a completely infuriating, laughless, painful episode to sit through. I haven't a clue what the writers were going for with this one. Great job as always jjs, and all of y'all make sure to send in a list for the Best Episodes countdown! ;)

• Like 5

Squid Baby: An episode that didn't appear on my list nor my dishonorable mentions since I've felt apathetic towards it. However, the concept and the humor was just really, really dumb, so I have a feeling that it'll sour on me more.

SpongeBob, You're Fired!: This special really soured on me. It was killed by Nickelodeon's hype, but for the most part, it was a dreary episode that brought nothing new to the table since it mostly just brought back elements from past episodes. It was at least interesting to see SpongeBob having a secondhand talent in making snail food and doesn't turn it into a Krabby Patty, a plot element that ended up getting wasted, and it was also interesting to see other restaurants in the food business. Everything else just fell flat.

Ink Lemonade: Already said what I needed to say about the episode in its respective topic. It's #9 on my personal list. It was a genuinely, badly written episode, but it was too new and after seeing how the episode got so much backlash, I have a feeling that I might grow apathetic towards the episode later on. So, #9 is a respectable enough ranking from me.

One Coarse Meal: However, I grew very apathetic towards this episode since the last time I talked about it, I tried to convince some members that the "suicide joke" shouldn't be taken too seriously. I know that this episode affected some people from a personal standpoint, so I do understand why "One Coarse Meal" tends to get so much hate. My apathy towards the episode was because I've seen so much backlash for it, I felt like I was required to hate the episode. Like Wumbo, the best way I can describe my thoughts towards "One Coarse Meal" is that I'm just over it.

A Pal for Gary: I don't need to justify so much about why I dislike the episode. The scene that most people tend to talk about is undeniably one of the show's worst scenes while the episode's attempts to make Gary's torture and SpongeBob's obliviousness funny both fail so hard. The episode is still on my bottom 5 and rightfully so, this is the obligatory worst episode of SpongeBob.

As for the honorable mentions, I'm glad that "Penny Foolish" is no longer as hated to even make the honorable mentions list, but I'm also disappointed to see that episodes like "Krusty Katering" and "Driven to Tears," didn't have enough points. I'm satisfied enough to see "SpongeHenge" barely made it, but I don't think "New Fish in Town" is a bad episode at all.

Next time, on this thread, I will talk about why I didn't like these episodes (except "Ink Lemonade" because the cut-off is at the 401st episode aired).:

Spoiler

25. The Blackened Sponge
24. Can You Spare a Dime?
23. Gullible Pants
22. Choir Boys (#12)
21. Pat No Pay
20. Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? (#42)
19. Slide Whistle Stooges (#13)
18. Yours, Mine, and Mine (#19)

17. Home Sweet (WAIT FOR IT) Rubble
16. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV
15. Sleepy Time
14. Driven to Tears
13. SpongeBob, You're Fired! (#13)
12. Krusty Katering
11. Waiting (#24)
10. Breath of Fresh Squidward
9. Ink Lemonade (#4)
8. Sun Bleached (#43)

7. Goo Goo Gas
6. Sponge Who Could Fly
5. All That Glitters (#22)
4. A Pal for Gary (#2)

3. SquidBob TentaclePants
2. I Was a Teenage Gary
1. Stuck in the Wringer (#1)

Yes, there are still some pre-movie episodes on my list. If you want to fight about a particular episode on my personal bottom 25 that is your favorite, I could care less.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

time for my honorable mention thoughts.

sponge-cano- the dolphin basically saved the ep for me. other than that, it was so mediocre. squidward at his one of the worst and that ending was so idiotic.

the goggly artist - this one is more forgettable than just bad but I remember having some laughs here and here. It wasn't bad.

squid wood - a guilty pleasure of mine. I just don't know why I enjoy watching it. It was so mean-spirited, yet really fun just why.

sentimental sponge - WHY? What's wrong with this one? I always liked it and I kind of found it to be a compelling ep for SpongeBob. sure not the best but I liked it.

Rule of Dumb - I can understand somewhat hatred for this but unlike other patrick contestants, Patrick actually realized his wrong and I liked the ep told a classic story of how power will corrupt you.

inSPONGEiac - aww man, y'all hate this one? Ok, the ending did suck ass but I thought rest was fun. Even Patrick was sort of dumb funny in it, despite him making the situation worse.

The Card - I'm sure Mrs. Exit s the reason for this but eh, I always found this to be okay/meh. SpongeBob's sturggles was too relatable for me to hate it. Plus the situation is solved, go home people.

New Fish in Town - ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but can't blame anyone for this.

here's my dumb dumb list.

Spoiler

25 - Sportz?

24 - Summer Job

23 - Penny Foolish

22 - The Main Drain

21 - Good Ol' Whatshisname

20 - Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom

19 - Hide and Then What Happens?

18 - Squid Baby

17 - The Clash of Triton

16 - Yours, Mine and Mine