• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

Not much I have to say about Just One Bite. It's the standard Green Eggs & Ham story done with the season 3 flavor. It didn't make it high on my list (#23, I believe?), but it's still a great episode in its own right.

• Like 1

44. Just one bite

Another fun watch. Spongebob trying to get Squidward to eat a Krabby patty a la Green Eggs and Ham style was funny. Squidward acting like a druggy to get his hands on another Krabby patty was also funny. All in all a good episode, a little light on the laughs compared to a few other episodes I saw from S3 but still worth watching.

P.S. If Krabby Patties are addictive does that mean that Krabs is a kids friendly Heisenburg?

Favorite moment: " I gotta sneak one, just one and I'm off the stuff for good. " - Squidward after tasting his first patty.

43. "That is the stench of discovery."

Uegh!.png

Missing Identity, 62 points

(6 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #4, Steel)

SpongeBob is at a diner on a dark and weary morning, while rain is pouring down. A patron is solving a crossword puzzle, and realizes that he has lost his pen. A waitress says he can borrow hers, and does. SpongeBob says he once lost something: his identity.

He recounts the events of last Monday. He wakes up, and throwing his blanket into the air, he says: "Good morning, world, and all who inhabit it!" The blanket falls on him, and SpongeBob, not being able to see, falls off his bed and his alarm clock falls on top of his head. He falls down the stairs and the alarm propels him into the window. He feeds Gary, and comments that he has been feeding Gary snail food for years and doesn't even know what it tastes like. He tastes it, is revolted, and his disgust is sensed at the headquarters of the company that makes the snail food. He looks at the clock and realizes that he is late for work, and quickly gets changed and skips to work. While he is skipping to work, Patrick greets SpongeBob.

Later, as SpongeBob serves food to a customer, the customer tells him that he should wear a name tag so that she can thank him properly. He indicates that he is indeed wearing a name tag, but then realizes that his name tag is missing. He panics, hyperventilates, and eventually faints.

When he wakes up, he asks Squidward what happened. Squidward tells him that he fainted because he lost his name tag, but assures him that his name tag is not that important, and SpongeBob hyperventilates again. However, just as he says this, Mr. Krabs comes out of his office and informs them that there's a uniform inspection in one hour and anyone who fails has to wear a stinky boot all day. Squidward tells SpongeBob that he should retrace his steps.

SpongeBob repeats everything he did that morning several times, including his "horrific incident of terror" with the alarm clock and eating the snail food. SpongeBob repeats it many times because Patrick always fails to try to say "Hi" to him, like for example, he says "Hi, SpongeBoob" and more. Still SpongeBob fails to find his name tag. Patrick asks him if he did anything else on his way to work, and SpongeBob says that he said hello to Old Man Jenkins, put an apple on Mr. Krabs' desk, and was thrown into a dumpster by two thugs. Patrick suggests looking in the dumpster, and they go searching there. During the search, SpongeBob gives Patrick two hints but he is confused. SpongeBob does a double take of Jack Benny while wondering, but panics that he has one minute left. Patrick finds SpongeBob's name tag on the back of his shirt, and when he alerts him to this and SpongeBob turns around, it seems to disappear and Patrick can't remember where it was. SpongeBob is confused, but when Patrick says: "At least I don't wear my shirt backwards!," SpongeBob realizes that he had his name tag all along, and his shirt was just backwards. At the uniform inspection, however, Mr. Krabs smells SpongeBob and is disgusted by the stench of the dumpster, and seemingly suspends him from working at the Krusty Krab.

SpongeBob finishes telling his story, and thanks the waitress for listening, calling her "Betty." She says that her name isn't Betty, and that she just borrowed someone else's uniform while hers is getting cleaned. When SpongeBob learns this, he ends the episode doing a Jack Benny double-take, like earlier from the episode.

JCM: This is an episode that's easy to overlook. Even Nick did so, advertising the episode it was paired with (Plankton's Army) a lot more from what I remember. Despite that, Missing Identity is a much better episode, with an creative plot structure that begins with a noir parody and tells the main plot in the form of a flashback. The jokes come at a rapid-fire pace, aided by Patrick's buffoonery and SpongeBob's extreme dedication to retracing his steps. The episode works as both a comedy and a mystery, and the genuinely surprising revelation about SpongeBob's nametag represents the show's writing at its peak. Missing Identity is a hallmark of classic SpongeBob and just a great episode of television overall that receives a lot less attention that it deserves. It would have been higher on my list if there weren't so many episodes I loved more than it, but it's definitely an episode you should rewatch if you haven't in a while.

Wumbo: While I will always love Season 2 over Season 3, I'll give the latter this: it was the first season to really take risks with its storytelling. This episode being told as a flashback mystery story is just a stroke of genius. And there's great SpongeBob characterization here too. I love it when SpongeBob goes beyond the naive optimist and we get to see some of the other aspects of his personality that round out his character. Here we see his perfectionism and most importantly his obsessiveness. I love how SpongeBob has to get retracing his steps absolutely right and it takes Patrick to steer him in the right direction. I love seeing SpongeBob's flaws, just not when they're Flanderized extensions of his basic character. This episode shows SpongeBob's flaws perfectly. It's told a little too slowly for my taste, but it's definitely an episode not worth giving the boot!

• Like 8

43. Missing identity

A underrated episode that I only remember because of the allure of 50's style diners. It made the middle of my list.

Spongebob interrupts some trivial banter by a customer and a waitress to tell them about how he loses his name tag. After that we get a typical Spongebob wake-up montage and nothing happens until some customer is upset that he doesn't have his name tag on. He then tries retracing his steps but due to Patrick not saying hi to him correctly he keeps repeating the process over and over. The way Patrick reacts to this whole exchange is hilarious enough in itself. But then spongebob's frustration adds another layer. All while a whimsical piano tune plays in the background.

The dumpster scene is also quite humorous as Patrick is as charmingly obtuse as ever. All in all This is a very good episode.

Favorite moment:

Patrick getting upset about how Spongebob doesn't value his morning greetings.

How in the WORLD did "Just One Bite" not make it HIGHER?!!! o.o o.o o.o o.o Maybe if the gas scene had been left in (Come ON, Nickelodeon, you keep UGLY stuff like Squidward HIDEOUSLY stubbing his toe AND the entirety of both "Gift of Gum" AND "The Splinter" uncensored, but not that ONE quick GAG?!!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think the episode would've been ranked higher! :P :P :P :P And I don't think Krabby Patties are addicting, I just think that they TASTE that good! :D :D :D :D (They'd have to, in order for Mr. Krabs to have a more or less, monopoly of the Bikini Bottom restaurant industry.) :)

​42. "Wait, I don't understand this. I feel all tingly inside! Should we stop?"

276.png

F.U.N., 63 points

(4 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #6, 4EverGreen)

Things are going great at the Krusty Krab, until suddenly an alarm begins to blare, signaling an attempt by Plankton to steal a Krabby Patty. Plankton, controlling the patty, escapes outside with it by making a hole in the wall with a laser.

SpongeBob heroically chases after it. After a long chase, SpongeBob finally recovers the Krabby Patty, and is congratulated by the townsfolk, while Plankton walks away sadly.

SpongeBob, feeling sorry for Plankton, decides to befriend him.

SpongeBob invites Plankton to jellyfish with him, and, realizing he can take advantage of SpongeBob, Plankton goes. At Jellyfish Fields, Plankton remains fixated on evil and destruction, and SpongeBob tries to explain fun by singing The F.U.N. song. Eventually, Plankton starts singing the song as well, and seems to finally be having fun. He seems to forget about stealing the formula, and begins to develop a genuine sense of friendship.

When Mr. Krabs sees this, he refuses to believe that Plankton has changed and sets up a trap for them when they come to the Krusty Krab together the next day. He attempts to tempt Plankton with a Krabby Patty, but he seems not to take the bait. After SpongeBob and Plankton leave to go to the movies, Mr. Krabs begins to suspect that Plankton really has gone straight and nice, until he realizes that he actually did take the patty.

At the Reef Cinema, Mr. Krabs appears in front of the projector and shouts "reach into his pocket now and take what he's got!" SpongeBob reaches into Plankton's pocket and finds a Krabby Patty (the other people simply steal from their neighbor's pocket and leave the theater). SpongeBob realizes that Plankton used him to get a Krabby Patty, and Plankton attempts to explain that he realizes now that he only ever wanted friendship, before admitting to everything and running off with the patty. However, he runs directly through the movie screen into a solid wall. Plankton is squashed, badly, and Mr. Krabs flicks him off the wall onto Bubble Bass' hand, who mistakes Plankton for a jellybean and chases him around his hand. 

Clappy: Such a god tier Season 1 episode. I love everything about this from the plot, to the F.U.N. song, to every single interaction between SpongeBob and Plankton. I think the main reason I love this episode so much is that it is the first to give actual depth to Plankton as more than just "the antagonist". We get to watch his character evolve only to go back to the status quo at the very end when he steals the Krabby Patty. But even then, it was reassuring to know that there was actual depth to Plankton instead of being evil for the sake of it. Rest assured that we got more Plankton character development as the series went forward, but this was the start of something special for not just Plankton as one of my favorite characters, but my general appreciation for the show in general.

Wumbo: F.U.N. has a lot going for it. Starting off, that song is a classic. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.  Second, the SpongeBob/Plankton interactions really are done masterfully. You see Plankton gradually soften as he plays with SpongeBob, and honestly his giddiness when talking to Karen about it is nothing short of adorable. It's got some real, genuine emotion in it! I sure feel bad for Plankton when he's called "the most hated thing in Bikini Bottom" by the likes of Squidward! Ouch. It's also a very quirky episode with a lot of offbeat humour. There's Spongebob's magician monologue, the rookie song... whatever this is... it's all good.

But sad to say, I do have one major problem with the episode, and it is the ending. After so much progression and experimentation with Plankton's character, it's inexplicably thrown out the window just to return to status quo. And I'm sorry, that's really lazy writing. Maybe even if there was a bit of hesitation at the end when Plankton chooses to be evil, just something that wouldn't seem so slapdash. But the ending's something I have to deal with when watching the episode, and at least we get the "solid concrete" joke to come out of it. Poor little guy. All in all, F.U.N. is truly F.U.N., but I couldn't put it on my list because I do find it flawed.

• Like 6

MI makes some sorta sense I guess, but uh not over some of the previous few eps, but that might just be personal bias. :P

F.U.N., again a predictable episode, not on my list. Understandable choice as it is a solid episode, but something always felt lacking. This is gonna be my catchphrase for this list isn't it? :P

42. F.U.N

This is the first episode where I didn't really find it that funny or fun to watch. This episode kind of drags when I see it and it's a little too normal for my tastes. The heartwarming aspect is kind of undone by the ending. It's an Ok episode but I didn't consider it for my list.

Favorite moment: Krabs breaking into the movie theater and ranting.

Not on my list but it is highly entertaining watching Squidward turn Ito someone obsessed with Krabby patties :P

same here.

Missing Identity  - it was pretty funny episode to me as for SB tells his story how he lost his nametag.

Overall, it's great episode.

FUN - it's great to see SB intreract with Plankton more in that ep.