• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Best Episodes Ever 2015 Edition!

Wumbo

41. "Arr, I am not a pirate!"

498948574_640.jpg

The Paper, 63 points

(4 of 26 lists. 1 #1 vote - spongeboblover)

Squidward throws a bubble gum wrapper on SpongeBob's lawn. When SpongeBob discovers it, he asks Squidward if he can keep it. Squidward, who spots the paper as a worthless and useless pile of junk, says yes. SpongeBob asks him several more times to make sure that he doesn't want it, and Squidward assures him that he has no use for the paper, and sarcastically makes him promise to never give it back.

SpongeBob uses his imagination to have fun and do amazing things with the paper, and Squidward becomes jealous and attempts to take it back. However, SpongeBob refuses to give it back, as he promised not to. Squidward desperately begs SpongeBob for the paper, and is not successful until he agrees to trade everything he owns, including his house and shirt. However, Squidward does not have fun with the paper, and realizes that it is indeed completely worthless. Patrick then comes along, takes the paper from Squidward, and throws away his gum in it. Squidward, who has now given up everything he owns for nothing and is standing there naked, asks "Anyone have any sunscreen?"

Clappy: SpongeBob plays with a piece of paper. That plot concept has absolutely zero reason to work. It's so simplistic and uninteresting that there should be no way anyone would find this interesting. Yet, somehow, the production team did it and did it fantastically. This episode is one of the many great examples as to how imaginative this show is by the amounts of creative extremities it took. I was thoroughly amused all eleven minutes and it's one of the key highlights of Season 1. It's amazing the amount of replay value this episode has and yeah you can blame it on the fact that this only airs around Valentine's Day because of it's sister episode, but even then, there are some times I just skip past Valentine's Day just so I can watch The Paper again because I find that the far more amusing of the two. While I wouldn't trade everything I own for a worthless piece of paper, I would gladly recommend it as one of the show's best episodes.

Wumbo: It's true, The Paper is a simple episode. But like Clappy said, with what we get from it, it becomes a marvel of what the writers can do with such a simplistic premise. This is one of the Season 1 episodes they never played on TV when I was a kid, and as a result this was one of the episodes I craved during my childhood because it's just so intriguing. I don't find it as great now, but it still serves as an excellent reminder of what can happen in that writing studio, even with a concept as simple as a worthless piece of paper.

• Like 6

F.U.N. : I'm with Wumbo on this one. It's got some good things going for it, but the ending isn't the best, even though I know Plankton had to become a villain again to restore the status quo.

The Paper: Not one of my favorites, but the simplistic concept is entertaining.

• Like 1

I'm actually a little suprised to see that it was MY ranking of "F.U.N." that was the highest, but nice to see that it's up there! :D And "The Paper" is SUCH an under-rated masterpiece, the way Squidward gives EVERYTHING away to Spongebob (even his shirt) to get a piece of paper back, and when Squidward realizes that he doesn't know HOW to have FUN with it the way Spongebob does, it DOES make you wonder if Spongebob really IS as naive as he makes himself out to be. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All right guys, good news! Because you have all been so diligent with your commentary, I've decided to give you all more opportunities and start having two guest commentators at episode 30! Of course, this means we all have to be doubly diligent, so don't put it off until you're scrambling!

Another note: episodes 39 and 38 (as well as 25 and 24) are technically tied by my standards, but as a third tiebreaker I've decided that the one that made it to that number first gets the edge. And I know which one is which because, tallying as I go, I always put tying episodes under the one that made it first. But for all other purposes, the episodes are tied and you can choose to treat them as such if you wish.

Okay! Back to the list.

(BTW, if JCM thought I ripped apart F.U.N., oh boy, just you wait...)

40. "I doth wonder if I couldst sell these... Krabby Patties."

maxresdefault_1.jpg

Dunces and Dragons, 63 points

(5 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #3, SOF)

SpongeBob and Patrick are running up to the Medieval Moments stadium/restaurant to watch the jousting tournament. Upon their arrival, Morrie announces the tournament and asks for two volunteers to take part in the jousting, choosing SpongeBob and Patrick. Unaware that they are actually going to be in the tournament, and not just watching upclose, they are forced to mount seahorses and start jousting against each other. They are both launched off of their seahorses into the air, and land in a small field in 8th Century Bikini Bottom.

SpongeBob and Patrick sitting together in the colisuem, as Patrick bites into his Mutton. A large group of knights on seahorses surround the duo. They lock SpongeBob and Patrick in the dungeons because they think they are evil. There they see a squid playing a clarinet. They think it is Squidward, but the octopus' name is actually Squidly. In the meantime, SpongeBob and Patrick still think this is part of the Medieval Moments tournament. Because Squidly cannot play the clarinet properly, he cursed his 7th great grandson, Squidward, to not being able to play the clarinet.

SpongeBob still thinks they are in the restaurant, and comments on how authentic the "props" are. Later, SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidly are sent to King Krabs, who orders them to be executed because of an insulting song they sing in front of him. However, Princess Pearl reminds King Krabs of a prophecy in a stained glass window, which says that two brave knights will fall from the sky and will be sent by a king and defeat the dragon controlled by the evil wizard Planktonamor that is destroying the kingdom. Just then, the Dragon Jellyfish smashes through the wall with the prophecy on it.

Under Planktonamor's orders, it kidnaps Pearl in order to kill her and effortlessly flicks King Krabs into the guillotine, smashing it just before SpongeBob can be executed. The dragon flies away, and King Krabs begs SpongeBob and company to rescue her, treating them like royalty, until seeing a section of the prophecy showing him kicking out SpongeBob and Patrick. He tells them to defeat the dragon, then proceeds to kick them out. However, SpongeBob and Patrick decide to literally kick themselves out, and Squidly comes along as well after orders from King Krabs.

On the way, they stop off at the Blacksmith's shop to get some armor and weapons, only to find that all of the weapons are too heavy except for the jellyfish net. As they reach the bridge to Planktonamor's tower, they are attacked by a Dark Knight, who guards the bridge. The Dark Knight is revealed to be none-other than a medieval Sandy (who, unlike the present Sandy, does not need an air helmet). A duel ensues, with SpongeBob ultimately winning due to his karate prowess. After the battle, SpongeBob decides to spare her life. Amazed, the Dark Knight decides to follow SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidly on their quest (and learn a trifle of Karate, according to her).

Back at the King's castle, Krabs receives a note saying that Princess Pearl will die if he does not hand over the village and his throne. SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidly and the Dark Knight make an incredibly long journey to the top of the tower, where SpongeBob distracts Planktonamor while Patrick, Squidly, and the Dark Knight try to rescue Pearl.

However, the Dragon soon arrives and manages to zap the heroes. Just as the Dragon is about to finish off SpongeBob, he pulls out a Krabby Patty he had been saving for lunch. The Dragon eats it and likes it so much that it becomes obedient to SpongeBob, zapping Planktonamor. The heroes return to the village to have their victory celebrated, and King Krabs is seen cooking Krabby Patties (on a modern grill) for the dragon. However, as soon as Squidly starts playing his clarinet, everybody hates it, and someone throws a rock at him. The seahorses become scared and launch SpongeBob and Patrick into the air.

They land back at the tournament in present day, and SpongeBob says, "I guess I shouldn't have agitated that Seahorse. That was some dream I had, eh Patrick?" Patrick then replies, "Try telling that to Squidly." He then stands up, revealing a horribly squashed Squidly underneath him. Then Squidly makes makes a note on his clarinet.

Trophy: This is my favorite special, and there are many reasons why, which if you ignore you will be shot out of a cannon. :) You just love how they go back into medieval times, Squidly cursing his "great-how many times" grandson tenfold, Squidly in general, and the portrayal of characters in medieval times, and it was such a whimsical adventure, although you do wonder how Planktonamor tamed the Dragon, or maybe SpongeBob absorbed his attacks like an EVIL SPONGE! :P The ending just has a nice leave it to the viewer tone to it. There is one part that bothers me about it, and it's more like the fanbase: The beginning has such an obvious suicide joke... yet nobody seems to care. I don't but I'd like some explanation to that one, as it was like he was going to stab himself in the HEART, WITH A SWORD! Also "hang your kingly head in shame", the humor just knows where to be yet then again... well that's a story for another time, this episode is great, I don't see any flaws with it except the Planktonamor plothole.

Wumbo: Okay, funny anecdote time:

When I was around 10 years old or so, me and one of my friends were coming up with new ideas for SpongeBob episodes. And one of them happened to be one where SpongeBob and Patrick got sent back to Medieval Times! So as you can understand, when we saw this episode come out, we were livid. I vowed to banish this episode to the dungeons of my hatred for not living up to the one I had in my head.

But time has passed, and you grow up. And I guess ultimately I can say I respect this episode for telling an authentic story and really going all out with the medieval theme. All the subtle touches are nice, like Karen being turned into a crystal ball, or Squidly cursing what will eventually be Squidward. But... I don't know. All the same, this one might have gone too far off the edge for me. I don't remember that many funny moments; I remember the atmosphere of the episode more than anything. Which, to be fair, is nice, but it doesn't make up for the staggering lack of laughs I find in this episode. The middle with Medieval Sandy is SO BORING (and nonsensical, even for this episode). The saving graces for this episode, as they've always been, are Squidly, the Royal Fool, who is consistently enjoyable and a nice contrast to Squidward's personality, and the ending battle with Planktonamor, which is actually really climactic and seems to be where the writers find their funny again.

But I can't say this episode is a favourite of mine. There's just too many hangups for me to ever really fully embrace it. Sorry for dumping on everyone who loved this episode enough to put it up top, but, well, if you think I'm a jerk, tell me so below!
  • Like 8

This made #18 on my list. I'm a huge dork for anything in a historical setting, so SpongeBob in medieval times was like catnip to me (hur hur puns). Squidly is definitely a highlight and the special itself is quite fun IMO.

• Like 1

Season 4 had pretty solid specials unlike the later seasons (Yes, I'm aware Friend or Foe is from Season 5, but so is Atlantis Squarepantis).

Yeah... honestly after Dunces and Dragons the only time they struck gold with the specials is with Frozen Face-Off.

Yeah... honestly after Dunces and Dragons the only time they struck gold with the specials is with Frozen Face-Off.

I disagree. I thought Friend or Foe? was pretty great (and it made my list, so go figure).

• Like 8

The Paper - I saw this episode that's rarely shown it while ago but it's ok episode to me.

Dunces & Dragons - One of my top 3 fave ep of all time, it's actually best ep from Season 4, Squidly is highlight of the episode. It's fun episode as much as I enjoyed it IMO.

40. Dunces and Dragons

A later season that combined a pretty good amount of laughter with an interesting plot. Once in the past, things get pretty funny. The prophecy and Squidward being the fool were nice touches. This also had a bunch of funny one liners, and one off jokes. Spongebob and Patricks cluelessness to their situations is played perfectly here. It works great because their in an odd situation. This is a good episode and I think overlooked it on my list. It would be in my top 50.

Favorite moment: SpongeBob: Knights, jesters, dragons, medieval bowling alleys, 12th century? Don't you see, Patrick? We really are in medieval times!

Patrick: Oh no, I think I left the water running at home!

• Like 1

39. Looks like we're going to start our training now, ladies! I call you a lady to humiliate and demean you. It's a motivational tool we coaches use."

055a_The_Great_Snail_Race_443.jpg

The Great Snail Race, 64 points

(4 of 26 lists. Highest Ranking: #5, SOF)

SpongeBob wakes up, as well as waking up Gary. He tells the world he is ready. He sees Squidward getting a package in the mail, with the mailfish erroneously pronouncing his last name as "Tennisballs." SpongeBob questions that Squidward's last name is "Tentacles," and Patrick says poor guy. He opens the cage, which contains a snail named Snellie. Patrick checks out Squidward's new snail. SpongeBob sees this and tells Gary that he has a new little playmate. However, Squidward immediately protests and explains that Snellie is a purebred of the highest pedigree, and that she is going to be entered in the Bikini Bottom Snail Race on Sunday and she will win it. SpongeBob says that he can't enter Gary because Sunday is laundry day. Squidward then tells SpongeBob that he can't enter Gary because Gary is a "mutt," which offends SpongeBob. He asks what makes Squidward think Gary couldn't win. Squidward says the paper. Patrick reads Snellie's pedigree certificate and misreads Squidward's name as "Tentpoles," which makes Squidward angry, yet again. SpongeBob decides to enter Gary into the race. Patrick also decides to enter into the competition. SpongeBob (wearing a play mustache and a coach's outfit) tells Gary to start training now. Sandy is walking and decides to kick SpongeBob's butt tomorrow, but she doesn't know why.

SpongeBob makes a shake with weird ingredients and gives it to Gary, but Gary runs to the living room. Patrick shows SpongeBob his snail, which is a rock. Patrick says he has nerves of steel.

SpongeBob decides to train Gary as hard as he can. On the day of the race, Gary is exhausted from SpongeBob's brutal training. During the race, his eyes and shell explode, revealing a car engine, and he spirals out of control like a race car. SpongeBob, seeing the error of his ways, tells Gary that he can stop now, but Gary keeps on going. SpongeBob runs onto the track, which the announcer says that it's an "automatic disqualification." Gary hits the wall and explodes completely, and then an upset SpongeBob runs up to him and embraces him, crying. Snellie, who is almost at the finish line, turns around to help Gary, and the two instantly fall in love. Squidward is shocked at this and walks onto the track, and SpongeBob says to him, "Looks like you and me are in-laws, eh, Squidward?" Squidward then sees that, much to his surprise, Patrick's rock won the race. It is Unknown how, but this happened. Patrick was then very proud of his rock. Squidward is very upset by this, but Patrick then tells Squidward that he had the trophy engraved to him, and gives it to him, knowing how much Squidward wanted to win. Squidward thanks Patrick, but then reads the trophy, which reads "The 1st place Snail Racing cup presented to Squidward... TORTELLINI?!" He groans and says "Will I ever win?," and they all start laughing and then Sandy appears onscreen kicking SpongeBob yelling "That's for yesterday, SquarePants!"

Cha: I like really love the humor in this. It just makes me chuckle from the joke about Rocky, to Patrick standing on Squidward's shoulders to SpongeBob's obsessive coaching. I can understand if people dislike it because of how far Gary is pushed. It makes me sad, but I really can't be mad at the episode. It just is comedic gold and to be fair, SpongeBob apologizes for his stupid behavior. Too bad Squidward and SpongeBob never actually became in-laws. 

Wumbo: Man, I've never really pinned down how I feel about this episode. It does take a lot of risks, but I'm not sure how many of them pay off. Honestly, I've softened towards SpongeBob's manic coach persona here, because it is part of his competitive and obsessive nature, and he does apologize at the end so s'all good. What doesn't sit well with me is Gary's distinction as a "mutt". They tie Gary's status to snail racing and he's suddenly into dumb TV and also Sleepy Time shows that Gary is actually really smart and sophisticated so... what the heck? Where did this come from? It's a really odd choice and the whole "purebred/mutt" thing could have been left out of the episode entirely.

Despite my hangup though, this episode has a lot going for it. That "humiliate and demean" quote is, imo, up there with some of the smartest lines of the show. And Patrick's journey with Rocky is also very enjoyable, as well as serving as a contrast to SpongeBob. I guess I can accept this episode as one of the greats, though it's not one of my personal favourites, as the "Gary = mutt" thing really bothers me.

• Like 8

YES THANK YOU!!! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM THAT THE GREAT SNAIL RACE CUT IT!!!!!!!!!!! :wub::D

Being serious, this episode managed to rank up very high up on my list (#10 to be exact). Sure, SpongeBob is horribly cruel and inhumane to Gary, but that's the whole point of it. The cruelty isn't there for no reason or with no motivation, it's clearly established that it's for SpongeBob to learn a lesson, it's there to add and thrust the story forward, and it comes out as a great representation of not pushing people too hard, and that being highly egotistical is bad. Judging by The Fry Cook Games and Employee of the month before, it's technically not OOC, and It's not like he comes out on top either, the irony is that the one who was the least competitive and had no significance other than amazingly done jokes was the one who landed there, and he got his just desserts by a very funny sexist-based joke earlier. And that's where it shines. It takes it's highly risky endeavor to provide excellent comedic payoff, the cruelty is there as a wagon for the jokes to be more powerful than they've ever been. From messing up Squidward's last name to greatly exaggerating montages without being too tedious to us, having random outbursts everywhere, and always making sure to tread that fine line between being really over-the-top and being flat-out vulgar. (the latter of which is why I don't mind Gary's breakdown, I mean sheesh, it's impossible to relate to Gary crashing like a car). And of course, Patrick's golden here. While I may have found 9 episodes better, this may be the riskiest endeavor the show's made (yes, even riskier than Sailor Mouth), and I think it paid off.

• Like 2