• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2015 Edition

Clappy

Ok guys, so this list.  Holy crap was this a process and a half to make.  You guys did a great job providing so much diversity this year.  Do you want to know how diverse this list was?  Please read below because I kid you not.  This is no longer a Bottom 50.....THIS IS A BOTTOM 56!

That's right, for the second go around in a row, we start this list off with a tie.  So many people voted and way too many points were calculated.  I double checked to make sure I wasn't kidding myself.  6 EPISODES TIED WITH 47 POINTS!  I wish I can make that statistic up if I tried.  But alas, with so many episodes to do, I needed additional help.

You read that right.  Additional help.  Providing his analysis on the episodes tonight is SBC's very own main administrator:  JJSTHEKID!  And this isn't going to be a one time thing.  To spice things up this year, I am accepting additional commentary duties.  I'll gladly recap the episodes by myself, but instead of providing just my own snark, I'm accepting other applicants to input their own thoughts and comments.  A second opinion as it may.  Sometimes, I'll be doing my own, but I'll gladly take anyone else's input as long as it stays within SBC's own rules.

Now that all that is out of the way, let's get it started in here!

50 (1). Pranks a Lot

3R6v6pP.jpg

47 points. 3 out of 23 lists. (#1 Trophy)

SpongeBob and Patrick go to the Palace of Pranks, a prank store in search of the ultimate prank. To their delight, the manager named Frank sells them a rare can of invisible paint for just one dollar. Before they use it, Patrick remembers that the paint will stain clothes, and then he and SpongeBob take their clothes off so they aren't stained with the invisible paint. They decide to spray a park bench and sit on it, but get in an argument over who gets to spray the bench. During the fight, they spray each other until "several bad puns later," they are both completely invisible.

After asking a man for the time and accidentally scaring him away, SpongeBob realizes that he and Patrick can pretend to be ghosts and prank the whole town. They pretend to be ghosts and go around frightening everyone (moving things around in Sandy's treedome, eating a cake Mrs. Puff was going to eat, painting a moustache on Squidward's face, etc.), until Mr. Krabs, who "ain't afraid of no ghosts," is the last person in Bikini Bottom to be haunted. They attempt to frighten him and succeed until they attempt to burn a dollar bill. Mr. Krabs' fear is overcome by his love of money, and he attempts to extinguish the match with a bucket of water. The invisible spray is washed off of Patrick and SpongeBob, exposing their identities, and their nudity.

Though embarrassed, Mr. Krabs comforts SpongeBob and Patrick by saying he forgives them and was fond of pulling pranks in his youth. However, when they attempt to leave, the Krusty Krab now contains nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, and Mr. Krabs showcases the "live, nude pranksters." An extremely embarrassed SpongeBob and Patrick try to cover themselves, and SpongeBob says "We should've bought the whoopee cushion!" as the episode ends.

Clappy: When it comes to episodes making the list, this was the biggest shocker for me.  I did not see it getting the amount of points it got (albeit, making number one on someone's list helps a lot with the point differential).  It's not one of my all time favorites from Season 3, but I consider this still a solid episode.  But hey, this list was going to be controversial and not everyone was going to agree with the choices made, but beggars can't be choosers.

50 (2). Dumped

IcnZWTw.jpg

47 points. 3 out of 23 lists. (#5 Old Man Jenkins)

SpongeBob introduces Gary to Patrick by playing tag, and they then decide to have a sleep-over together. The next morning, Gary apparently doesn't want to leave Patrick, who concludes that Gary wants to be with him and claims him as his own pet. SpongeBob refuses to believe this, but when Gary is left with the choice of who to be his owner, Gary chooses Patrick. SpongeBob is heartbroken, and out of jealousy, he attempts to find a new pet to show to Gary that he doesn't need him.

At first, he gets Rex, a worm. SpongeBob goes up to Patrick and Gary (who do not appear to know he is there) and after introducing Rex starts listing all the reasons why worms are better than snails. Rex, however, immediately abandons him and leaves on a bus. Next, he gets Lary, a wild snail. SpongeBob tells Lary that Gary will not be mentioned in the house, and uses Gary's bowl for Lary (with the G crossed out). Lary, however, acts viciously hostile toward him, and is presumably kicked out.

Later, Patrick and Gary come to SpongeBob's house to do his laundry, resulting in the former and latter getting into an argument. While this happens, Gary crawls into the washing machine after Patrick's pants. SpongeBob and Patrick inspect this, and Patrick initially thinks that Gary only liked him because of his pants. SpongeBob, however, realizes that Gary just wanted the cookie in Patrick's pocket. As SpongeBob and Gary, now reunited, go outside for a walk, a heartbroken and defeated Patrick stares after them and shouts, "Gary? I thought what we had was special!"

Clappy: Another shocker, but to me it's not as surprising as it may seem.  When it comes to pre movie episodes that get hatred, this is definitely one of the first ten I can think of.  You feel bad for SpongeBob a solid amount of this episode while not being a fan of Patrick's for plenty.  While it didn't make my list, I know that it made two top 10's so that went it's way to giving it the boost it got to make the Bottom 50 56.

50 (3). To Save a Squirrel

k1OaQF1.jpg

47 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#12 Milkmaidman)

SpongeBob and Patrick are seen running and screaming. They run into Sandy, explaining that a beast is chasing them. The "beast" is really a grasshopper from the surface. SpongeBob and Patrick notice that Sandy is packing food, water, dynamite and tents in her jeep. SpongeBob and Patrick ask why she's packing. Sandy explains that she is packing for a camp in the wilderness. SpongeBob and Patrick ask if they could come and Sandy says no because the camp is dangerous. When Sandy gets in her jeep, SpongeBob and Patrick sneak in her trunk to try to go to her camp. SpongeBob and Patrick fall out of the jeep when they are on their way there. The good news is that they fall out with food, water, and a tent. They are in the wilderness. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he will set up the tent while Patrick starts a campfire. When the tent is set up, Patrick is finished with the campfire. SpongeBob then noticed that Patrick didn't make a campfire, he burned their food. SpongeBob tries to put out the fire with the tent, but that just set the tent on fire. He pours water on it which makes it go out. SpongeBob drinks the remaining water. By now, SpongeBob and Patrick burned their food, ruined their tent, and lost their water. Then they notice a cave. They go in the cave and find an old man. The old man explains that they are stuck in the cave now and that he was there for over 40 years. SpongeBob and Patrick try to make shelter. SpongeBob is then convinced that Patrick wants to eat him. The old man explains to SpongeBob to eat Patrick before he eats SpongeBob. SpongeBob and Patrick then make attempts to eat each other. The old man is impressed, and he then reveals that he is really Sandy. Sandy then gives SpongeBob and Patrick survival badges. SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly got an interest of eating Sandy. The episode ends with Sandy saying "Next time I'll bring more granola."

Jjs: Kind of surprised this ep of all S5 eps had so much hatred. I found it eh. It wasn't really good or bad. It definitely dragged (very very badly), and it was sort of boring, especially with SpongeBob and Patrick going crazy. Overall, I don't really care if this made it or not. Only one episode was boring enough to make it on my list, and it wasn't this one. 

Clappy: This was on my list.  The fact that it made as many lists as it did this early in the countdown gave it the push to it's point total.  This episode dragged very badly as jjs said and it's one thing to be bad, but when an episode is as boringly bad as this is, it doesn't stand well in my good graces.  Oh and the twist ending was in horribly poor taste by Sandy.  Completely out of character.  *Dolphin noise* this episode.

50 (4). A Day Without Tears

k3hGK60.jpg

47 points. 5 out of 23 lists. (#12 JCM)

SpongeBob wakes up, stubs his toe, and starts crying. He rips his favorite shirt and starts crying again. He goes downstairs and hears a sad song on the radio; he cries again.

At work, he flips a Krabby Patty, which lands on the ground when Mr. Krabs startles him. SpongeBob then cries once again. Squidward gets irritated of SpongeBob's crying and he yells at him. SpongeBob then cries, wailing, "You yelled at me!"

Squidward tells SpongeBob that he cries too much; SpongeBob denies it. Squidward then pulls up a TV and plays a video of a trillion tears and millions of places where SpongeBob has cried over those years. He then makes a bet with SpongeBob that he couldn't last until midnight without crying.  After the bet is made, Squidward follows SpongeBob home to make sure he cries, and tries to make SpongeBob cry over things like a beautiful sunset, sad news stories with funerals, a sad song on the clarinet, and a sad bedtime story.

Amazingly, SpongeBob manages to hold in his tears until midnight, despite all of Squidward's best attempts, and after midnight, SpongeBob cries all over Bikini Bottom like crazy. Squidward comes over for a slumber party the next night, and the episode ends with Squidward crying and screaming and SpongeBob comforting him.

Jjs: Meh, don't really care if this one made it or not, much like To Save a Squirrel. Its biggest crime is being dull, but I've seen much worse S7 episodes. It's pretty much just a boring Funny Pants.

Clappy: Another episode that made my list and made this list for the same point calculation reasons as To Save a Squirrel to give it it's point total.  If there is one thing that really pisses me off about newer SpongeBob, it's his crying.  So to make an eleven minute episode dedicated to his most displeasing attribute make this episode pure hell to me.

50 (5). I'm With Stupid

3SM5xtG.jpg

47 points. 4 out of 23 lists. (#8 Wumbo)

Patrick is at his home preparing for the next day, which is Starfish Day. SpongeBob, who wants to go jellyfishing with Patrick, finds that Patrick is frantically cleaning up his home.  When questioned about his actions, Patrick gives SpongeBob a note, then a letter, and then a message, which states that Patrick's mother and father are coming over for the holiday Starfish Day.  Patrick then gets upset, and reveals that his parents think he is "dumber than a sack of diapers" and would just think that he would be a big stupid loser.  SpongeBob, who feels sorry for Patrick, offers to pretend he is dumb so Patrick's parents would think Patrick is smarter by comparison.

The next day, Patrick's parents arrive. Patrick shows them inside his house, and then SpongeBob arrives, wearing his karate helmet so he would look like a dummy. After SpongeBob meets Patrick's parents, Patrick starts to believe that SpongeBob is dumb, forgetting that SpongeBob is only pretending to be dumb.

At dinner, Patrick begins to make personal insults, which annoys SpongeBob. SpongeBob decides to have a talk with Patrick in the kitchen. However, the talk and reminder fail to make its way into Patrick's narrow head.  SpongeBob confesses to his parents that he is not really a dummy, and that he was only playing the part of one so that they would appreciate Patrick more.  This also fails, though, because Patrick's parents think that Patrick "taught" SpongeBob on how to talk, eat, and do the basic things in life. They all laugh, which makes SpongeBob upset, shout and crashes the wall in Patrick's house to get out.

Patrick's parents commend Patrick on his supposed intelligence, and later reveal their names, Janet and Marty. Patrick, confused and outraged, asks who they are. Before anything else can occur, Squidward comes to Patrick's house with his real parents, Herb and Margie, and says, "Does this lovely couple belong to you? They've been standing outside my house saying "Where's Patrick?" all day! It's driving me nuts."

His parents are happy to meet him, and said that he remembers to wear his pants. Janet and Marty then remember they do not even have a son and leave while Patrick, Herb, and Margie share a laugh.

Jjs: Yeah, this made my list. Sorry pre-movie fans (albeit it was only #24 on mine), but this one hasn't aged well for me at all. I just didn't find Patrick's "parents" funny or likable at all. I don't hate it as much as others, but the dislike for it is understandable.

Clappy: Another pre-movie episode that is generally brought up as being disliked.  Didn't make my list persay, but I know for a fact that this hasn't aged well for many fans including myself.  I know this episode was the starting point of Douche Patrick that will be making many more appearances on this countdown.

50 (6).  Shuffleboarding

117a%20-%20Shuffleboarding%20273.jpg

47 points. 3 out of 23 lists. (#6 Fa)

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are watching TV in Shady Shoals, when SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly appear and wake them up. Mermaid Man attacks SpongeBob with the "Mermerang," thinking he is a super villain. In the resulting incident, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are injured and sent to the hospital.

While SpongeBob and Patrick go to the hospital to visit them, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy receive a call from the police commissioner, telling them that they will be celebrity guest contestants at the Bikini Bottom shuffleboarding competition. They are unable to attend in their condition, but SpongeBob then says both he and Patrick are certified Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy impersonators. They are given rings which produce rubber Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy costumes, and are told to immediately return them after the tournament.

After they win the shuffleboarding contest, they go to return the costumes, but Patrick convinces SpongeBob that if they don't save the town from evil, no one will. They begin throwing everyone they see in jail for completely unjustified reasons (including throwing away a Krabby Patty, chewing gum too loudly, and being "too old"). Eventually, they have arrested nearly everyone in Bikini Bottom, and decide to return the costumes. However, they see Man Ray entering a laundromat, and despite the fact that he is doing absolutely nothing wrong, follow him in and arrest him after a fight scene, involving throwing Man Ray's head in the dryer, causing it to shrink. The jail is now so full of people that it literally explodes, causing people to fall down from the sky.

SpongeBob and Patrick return the costumes, and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy leave the hospital, but are confronted by an angry mob of the people SpongeBob and Patrick wrongfully arrested, who start chasing them and SpongeBob and Patrick confuse them for fans.

Jjs: I used to dislike this one, but now I just find it mediocre. It didn't make my list, but I could see why people disliked it. I never really liked the abrupt plot shift, and the second half wasn't funny to me. But there's been better and worse S6 eps.

Clappy: No comment really.  This is the worst Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode primarily because of SpongeBob and Patrick for being obnoxious, oblivious idiots.  And how stupid are the town people for not noticing the completely obvious fact that those two fools aren't the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.  Frustrating. 

• Like 9

50-1. Ironically, the picture for that episode you posted describes how I feel about this episode being on this list. I don't think it was that bad.

50-2. I actually liked this episode. Unlike episodes like I'm with Stupid, Patrick's role as an antagonist kind of worked.

50-3. I haven't really watched this episode in a while for an opinion on it. Hence why it never made my Top 25.

50-4. Pretty much just a carbon copy of All That Glitters, but hey, at least it was less stupid.

50-5. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

50-6. Worst Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episode ever. If you want to make an episode called Shuffleboarding, at least make it about Shuffleboarding. Or at least call it, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VII: Shuffleboarding.

• Like 1

I am going to jail for account of murdering people for 50(2) and 50(5) aren't I? :P

Not unless they murder you first for:

Pranks a Lot making the list? I was not prepared for that...

I would make a run for it if I were you Trophy.

Quite a few pre-movie episodes... didn't expect that first one. And a SIX WAY TIE!?!?!?!? But yeah, this is looking interesting so far!

Yep.  With the large quantity of episodes receiving points this year, it was incredibly close and it got that tied up mess that was the number 50 spot.

Not unless they murder you first for:

I would make a run for it if I were you Trophy.

You haven't seen me ever have a rant at an umpire before, I think I could handle that plus it was the two other choices besides me as well wasn't it? :P

• Like 1

I did read the first edition of Top 50 Worst Episodes in preparation, to see how this one would compare. So bring it on :P

I'm surprised to see Pranks a Lot on the list. It isn't one of my favorite episodes from season 3 but I didn't think it was that bad.

I don't dislike Dumped as much as others do but I can see why that particular pre-movie ep would make the list.

To Save a Squirrel was boring but I didn't dislike it enough to put it on my list.

A Day Without Tears is SO annoying. I can't stand episodes where SpongeBob engages in excessive crying.

I never liked I'm With Stupid, but as with To Save a Squirrel, it's not bad enough to make my list.

Yup, Shuffleboarding sucks. I would've rather have seen the actual shuffleboarding than what we got.

• Like 1

Yeah, the more I look at it, "Dumped" was kind of a dumb episode. Just this melodramatic, kind of slogging storyline with only a few good lines thrown in there to save it... PRANKS A LOT WHAT, elaborate on this one Troph ASAP

I honestly think a lot of people underrate A Day Without Tears, and on the surface level, yeah, it sounds completely unbearable. But there are honestly some good moments in it (that scene with the chalkboard is hilarious) and it's not nearly as bad as a "SpongeBob cries all the time" episode sounds like it should be. If anything, I think it's satirizing the bad trait.

• Like 1

50-1: Sorry guys, but I've put Pranks A Lot on my list, but my hate for it isn't as extreme as Trophy's.

50-2: I never thought some of the other members would actually hate Dumped enough. I don't hate it, but I find it hard to take the episode so seriously when the episode tries to bend "tearjerker" with "funny."

50-3: To Save a Squirrel just makes me feel speechless. I don't even have the time to try to explain everything that just happened.

50-4: Yes, it's about Spongebob crying, he doesn't cry for the entire episode if I have make a huge point. It's got its share of humor, at least.

50-5: I can just say that this is definitely one of Pre-M's weaker episodes. It's never really pissed me off and it doesn't piss me off now, but I can understand the flaws people are pointing out.

50-6: Shuffleboarding could have been a little bit better without the horribly misleading title. For me, it just operates at a 6/10. The moments are not that bad enough for me to write a big paragraph out of them.

• Like 1