• Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions You Have About SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

Depending on the day, season one is on par with or better than season three. Season one's best are just as funny, gives a relaxed and unique atmosphere, and season 3's worst is far more notable than season one's, even if it's only a few episodes.

I'm honestly tired of Season 1-3 diehards; people who think that everything after the first Spongebob movie sucks. Even into Seasons 6 and 7, while those are bad seasons overall in my opinion, there are still good episodes that people miss out on due to being so enclosed within the first 3 seasons that they miss out on everything afterwards, sometimes even including Seasons 4 and 5 (which are pretty good imo). Those sorts of people constantly complain about newer seasons and it's tiring; I've heard the same thing enough times already, I get it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-Wishing You Well is overrated and a bad episode. I've stated why a couple times already, so I won't go over it again here.

-Hocus Pocus is also overrated and terrible. So pointless and dumb.

-Jellyfish Hunter is one of the very few bad pre-movie episodes. Mr. Krabs is unbearable in it, and I'm sorry to say, but I can't stand the "Hey All You People!" song.

- Enchanted Tiki Dreams is very meh. It might be nice to see Squidward actually be in a relaxing state for once, but the episode should've honestly at least attempted more comedy and had a bit more to it then "being nice to see Squidward happy for once!".

- Professor Squidward and WhoBob Whatpants are bad episodes, but I wouldn't consider them among the worst.

- Sportz? Is a great episode that doesn't deserve the flack.

-Spin the Bottle is one of the worst Season 11 episodes, just tedious and dull.

Wow.... I actually had more than I thought LOL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpongeNicko said:

-Hocus Pocus is also overrated and terrible. So pointless and dumb.

THANK YOU!!!!!

On topic of bad Season 4 episodes, Wigstruck is terribly underhated. From memory, I didn't remember it being so god damn awful. I do not have issues with bullying, but the episode pretty much is about the townsfish bullying poor Spongebob for having a quirk. You can take my word as over exaggeration, and I would if I didn't rewatch it, but it is so blatant. I feel so bad for Spongebob, and he doesn't even get a happy ending. It's like The Sponge Who Can Fly on steroids, it's that bad. I wouldn't mind if it were funny, but it's not. I had maybe 2 dry chuckles, but that is coming from an episode that makes me want to nuke every single Bikini Bottomite. I never imagined I would sympathize with Spongebob after Choir Boys, but here we are.

Pat the Horse is bottom 20 material, and definitely the worst post sequel episode. 

Good Neighbors is still garbage, people have been softening to it lately, but I still think it is every bit as terrible as it was 5 years ago.

Unreal Estate is top 2 material for Season 10 (only behind Feral Friends)

Man Ray Returns is overhated

The Fishbowl is massively overhated that it's hilarious

Salsa Imbicilicus is underhated to a degree to which I am shocked

Fred Osmond is the worst boarder in Season 11

The Great Patty Caper is the best Season 7 episode (it even managed to do Ink Lemonade's concept better lmao)

Season 5>4

Bummer Vacation is one of the best episodes from Season 4, and the show in general

Edited by hippythehippo
  • Like 2

Saying that any post sequel episode is massively overhated is an argument that has absolutely no merit whatsoever. Even the ones I disagree with being hated like Code Yellow and Out of the Picture are easy to see how someone could hate them, but there's still enough people liking them to prevent them from beung "overhated".

The Fishbowl is a legitimate bottom 10 contender mainly due to the awful ending where Patrick blames it all on science and learns nothing, then blatantly joins Sandy in luring a horrifically out of character Squidward into a confined imprisonment, and then takes notes like a scientist watching a wild zoo animal.

Besides the paint in the eye and the ending, Good Neighbors is legitimately a funny episode and I love scenes like the house turning into a Godzilla-esque monster, and I'll never get enough of Squidward stomping on the fezzes.

• Thanks 1

Sponge Out of Water isn't a sequel to the first movie, so stop calling the new era post-sequel

Truth or Square isn't that bad for me mainly because I thought part 1 was kind of funny. Part 2, however, was just bad and boring.

1 hour ago, Master WhoBruh said:

Sponge Out of Water isn't a sequel to the first movie, so stop calling the new era post-sequel

Truth or Square isn't that bad for me mainly because I thought part 1 was kind of funny. Part 2, however, was just bad and boring.

I don't find this episode that bad myself too

Maybe it's because during the first watch I expected absolutely nothing and that episode just felt boring and I didn't know the context of it's being 10th anniversary special

But anyway, it could've been worse, and honestly, I think Atlantis Squarepantis kinda worse than ToS, at least ToS didn't have awful musical numbers

Friend or Foe's ending is a bit disappointing and reminiscent of New Leaf where it's just "Psyche! Plankton isn't changing" which doesnt sit too well with me. It's the only dent in an otherwise great special. what Patchy scenes there are no Patchy scenes in Friend or Foe hahaha

S9a is strongly overhated and has only 4 awful episodes

Doodle Dimension gets way too much flack, it's honestly an enjoyable episode

Don't Feed the Clowns is one of the worst S11 episodes

Stuck on the Roof > No Hat for Pat

Overbooked is just decent

Glove World RIP is one of the worst S8 episodes

Road Song is legit bad

SpongeBob's Last Stand wasn't that bad of a special, just ok

Big One and To Squarepants are good specials

S11 > S9-10

S11 > S5-S10

"Call the Cops" is good episode 

"Doodle Dimensions" is mediocre at worst

"SpongeBob, You're Fired" is second worst episode in the entire show

Despite the flaws, "The Grill is Gone" is probably one of the funniest episodes of S11 thus far.

I'm going to spill out my guts. These will probably warrant some interesting reactions and some of these will sound redundant, but respectfully, these are my unpopular opinions on SpongeBob episodes:

-"Truth or Square" is one of the greatest SpongeBob specials (while not THE greatest, of course).

-I thought "Sponge Who Could Fly" was a poorly written episode, as well as one of the few specials that still made me feel disappointed. In addition, it comes to the special as a whole, Patchy's segments gave the episode some of its best moments.

-I think 22-minute/1-hour specials tend to get so much flack than they deserve, and I feel this even extends to some pre-movie specials, namely "Party Pooper Pants" and Ugh." For every dud like "SpongeBob, You're Fired," and "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?," there are truly great gems like "Have You Seen This Snail?," "SpongeBob's Last Stand," and the two stop motion animated specials.

-"Party Pooper Pants" is NOT one of S3's weakest episodes, while I find the season's weaker moments to be in episodes like "Can You Spare a Dime?," Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV," "Sponge Who Could Fly," and to a much lesser extent, "As Seen on TV."

-While this only depends on if you've come across people who thought "Ugh" was a disappointing special because of its lack of dialogue and its storytelling being very bare-minimum, I think the simplistic storytelling and unintelligible dialogue was the main point of "Ugh," and at the very least, the characters' emotions and actions were easy to comprehend. The immensely patient tone and atmosphere of the special made it stand out.

-...While "Krusty Katering," on the other hand, is one of the worst examples of the series trying way too hard to get the viewers' attention with its jokes and I think it deserves more contempt, because I felt that the pacing bounces all over the walls and gives it the consistency of a typical bad S9-S10 FOP episode.

-"Dear Vikings" aged better than it did years ago from when it was branded as one of the worst SB episodes in general.

-Patrick wishing for sticks of gum in one of the two alternate endings for "Shanghaied" is one of several of his painfully unfunny moments.

-"Driven to Tears" is a worse episode than its partner "Rule of Dumb," as well as being worse in handling Patrick's character.

-"Selling Out" is one of the most underrated S4 episodes, as well as one of many of the season's highlights.

Edited by H.P. Rugcraft

I wanna see if we can get this topic more active.

5>9 and 10

This is one of my recent changed opinions, but looking back, season 5 has more to offer in terms of it's best epiodes. Season 9 and 10 have their great ones, but 5 has just more (in comparison to 9) and better. Friend or Foe, Goo Goo Gas, Krabs a la Mode, Blackened Sponge, Krusty Plate, etc, all are fantastic. Season 5 also has garbage eps, but at least it's kinda interesting in a way to talk about. 9a is dead space, and even 9b has it's fair share of forgettable eps. Half of 10 could disappear and I wouldn't really miss it. There are very few season 5 eps I would consider "forgettable" or "bland". Season 9 might come close, but percentage wise it and 10 are a bit worse.