• Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions You Have About SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

Enemy In-Law is a very underrated episode

Krusty Towers is not overrated and is still the best season 4 episode

It is way too early to judge season 12 too much yet; there’s no reason to say it’ll be way worse than season 11 or way better than season 11 yet, or to rate it with the other seasons, because there is only 5 episodes of the season so far.

lol at sbap reacting with every react that somebody reacted with on the last page

Anyway:

There are not even 25 terrible episodes

There are probably not 50 bad episodes either once I rewatch pet sitter pat and breath of fresh squidward

Saying an episode is "pointless" is a ridiculous reason to hate an episode and makes me think the person saying it doesn't really have any reason to hate it besides "IT'S SEASON 8" because that's really saying absolutely nothing. This is not a continuity-based show, so the only "point" of an episode after about the first three is to entertain, and that's unarguably the purpose of an episode whether you like the episode or not. This, I could just as easily say a loved episode is "pointless" and it would make just as much sense.

Saying an episode is insulting or offensive is also almost always a ridiculous argument too. It makes sense with Squid Baby since it portrays mental illnesses as a funny joke, including banging squidward's head so much when that puts him in danger of staying this way, and I also get saying the Are You Happy Now suicide jokes are insulting even if I don't quite agree........ but I can't think of anything else of the show where insulting or offensive is an acceptable argument in any way. Saying something is insulting or offensive because "It's boring" or "Because that joke isn't funny" is not only completely ridiculous, but is ironically insulting and offensive itself because it's acting like things like boredom from watching a harmless spongebob episode are comparable to actually insulting and offensive things.

And one more argument I always found to be ridiculous; using the term "lifeless" or "has no spirit" for literally anything in the entire show is also ridiculous, because it's a complete overexaggeration. If the show was lifeless and had no spirit, it'd be way different than it was in 8-9a; the characters would have no personalitys; the show would be much slower and more boring, there'd be no good humor, and the animation would be as basic as possible. The show has always had tons of life and spirit in it, even if it's not as much as other seasons.

In general, I think things like the three things I mentioned above happened as a combination of the show having better seasons making people feel more negative over the not as good seasons than they normally would, the whole mr enter and other reviewers thing making people be way more critical and hateful towards parts of the show, barely anyone liking these seasons allowing people to circlejerk hate toward them, which causes people to overexaggerate hate (and on a similar note, so many people feeling this way allows people to sometimes be able to meme differing opinions they see elsewhere, which makes them feel more strongly that they are right and strengthens their hatred toward it), and the fact that in general, people are more overly critical than they need to be of entertainment and media than they should be.

[Also, I'm not trying to be rude toward anyone here with the memeing thing. I'm just saying that it's part of the reason why people would feel more strongly about it]

6 hours ago, Wintermelon43 said:

it'd be way different than it was in 8-9a; the characters would have no personalitys; the show would be much slower and more boring, there'd be no good humor, and the animation would be as basic as possible

i mean

i respect that you like s8-9a

but you described word for word how i personally see these seasons for myself

it's slow

it's boring

it has no good humor

animation is basic and stiff

characters are one-dimensional flandarized stereotypes of their former selfs

squidward is just grumpy guy that always gets bad luck, sandy is just scientist, spongebob is just happy guy, partick is just brainless one, krabs just loves money

there's literally no depth or any varition of their characterization, behavior

again, i have no problem with you liking these seasons, but that's unfortunately what i saw in them for myself. 

• Like 1

Cephalopod Lodge feels really overhated, not saying it's very good, but it's really not among the worst of S6, I like how SB & Patrick try to cheer Squidward up and get him back in the lodge, the sock gag was funny, and Patrick saying ''maybe it's your fault'' to one of the members gets me every time, will admit the ending kinda blows tho.

• Like 1

Season 7-9a and sorta season 6 have a nice general slow and calm atmosphere that I don't feel is really much worse if worse at all than the general fast paced atmosphere of post sequel. They're both great for completely different reasons.

I also feel that both eras get too much hate by people who just don't prefer that sort of style (these are different groups of people I'm referring to with this). I think they say many things are bad when its more of just not their thing/preference than actually worse quality, and I also think they ignore the strengths of the eras.

Seasons 1-4 are in the middle of both types which is why I think they get a lot less hate.

• Like 1

I actually kind of like Gullible Pants.
The Season 3 specials aren't really that bad, or at the most they don't stick out as "bad pre-movie episodes".
Same for Ink Lemonade in a way, it has some problems that have been regurgitated way too many times already, but I don't think it's terrible or sticks out in post-sequel in any way. It's only infamous because it has much of the same the "Dark Age" had to offer in terms of the worst episodes.

• Like 1