• Advertisement

Unpopular Opinions You Have About SpongeBob Episodes

Clappy

Updating my old one since it felt lazy.

Squidward deserve his abuse most of the time. One of  the fee times he didn't deserve it were Giant Squidward, Boating Buddies, Celaphod Lodge, and Squid's Visit. There may be more but that's all I'm gonna list.

Most season 6 episodes weren't bad but they were flawed.

Season 8 was a step-up. I don't understand where the hate is coming from. (it's getting more hate lately compared to 4 years ago where post movie haters even liked it)

I have a few opinions regarding the show as a whole

• I believe that SpongeBob is one of those shows that started going downhill since it's inception. Season 1 was simple yet sweet, had higher quality animation, less basic ways of moving the plot, seemed to have the most interesting characters, and had some better-crafted jokes then the rest of the seasons. However, I actually think they used the degrading to their advantage, because when they started to get less deep and the level of cruelty increased, they experimented and had room to throw in many jokes that just come even more unexpectedly and give an even harder laugh. The cruelty, derailment, lack of plot and animation continued to go down, and the people working on it couldn't keep up with jokes to cover it, so that's when it started to become notable. 
  • Season 9 is an improvement the past seasons. Well, to be more specific, it continued to show linear trends that came together at this point to give something that's decent. 
  • Squilliam was never a good character. To start, if you watched "Band Geeks" with no context from his other appearances, he would just seem like the cliché arch-rival plot device to get the episode moving. But since people were wowed by the unexpected ending of it, his other episodes were used as an act of pointless fan service. 
  • I enjoy Sandy's scientist side. I think it brought insight to her pinches of neediness and appearance in Sandy's Rocket to show a whole new side of her character in Season 4. My problem is that she has barely appeared from Season 5 and onwards, up until Season 8, which made it feel empty. For every episode she was absent, there was probably a Plankton episode. 
  • ​Speaking of him, I think his modern character is better than he was initially. He's seen interacting with others and showing emotion, while early on he was just a tiny evil mastermind. Although the tininess was cute already.  :wub: 

For individual episodes...

• Oral Report and Eek! an Urchin are among my favorite modern episodes. 
  • Little Yellow Book and WhoBob WhatPants? aren't half bad. 
  • Band Geeks is good and all, but I think the ending is outweighing the overall whole for most, while the rest was kinda disjointed. 
  • Gone is my favorite episode of Season 6. I really did like the dark comedy. 
  • Pet Sitter Pat is worse than A Pal for Gary, although only very slightly. While PSP does improve upon it, having more realistic personalities and humor, added the relatability of pet abusing that feels more natural and painful. Having a pet starve or dry up is more painful that an imaginary monster barging in. 
  • Artist Unknown is awful, but other than that I have no classic episodes I dislike, just ones I don't find up to par. 
  • Hello Bikini Bottom! polarizes me. Some viewings I adore it for it's amazing musical numbers, having a story strong enough for the time, character bonding between Sponge and Squid, others I despise it for Mr. Krab's flanderization, the repetitious pattern, and the insulting ending. 
  • And I do enjoy one really infamous episode...

Updating my old one since it felt lazy.

Squidward deserve his abuse most of the time. One of  the fee times he didn't deserve it were Giant Squidward, Boating Buddies, Celaphod Lodge, and Squid's Visit. There may be more but that's all I'm gonna list.

Most season 6 episodes weren't bad but they were flawed.

Season 8 was a step-up. I don't understand where the hate is coming from. (it's getting more hate lately compared to 4 years ago where post movie haters even liked it)

Choir boys?

I dislike "I'm Your Biggest Fanatic".

I don't get the hate for "I was a Teenage Gary" and "The Great Snail Race".

I don't really care for "Love That Squid" and "Perfect Chemistry".

"One Coarse Meal", while bad, isn't in my bottom 10.

"Boat Smarts" and "Good ol' Whatshisname" are guilty pleasures of mine.

• Like 1

I'm tired of people saying every episode after the movie is terrible, Post Movie is not even that bad at all

Squid Abuse episodes are more enjoyable than Patrick's a Jerk episodes

Pet Sitter Pat is a great episode (HIDES)

Glove World R.I.P is a dull and sappy episode

-I don't see what the big deal is with "Squid abuse". As long as it's funny, I don't mind it lol

-I'm not a fan of Club SpongeBob

-I love Pineapple Fever

-I think Squilliam is an annoying cliched character and I wouldn't have minded if we never saw him again after Squilliam Returns 

-The suicide jokes in Are You Happy Now make me more uncomfortable than the one in One Coarse Meal

Edited by Katniss